GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Odd electrical issues (Dealer stumped)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 12:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 GL450
Odd electrical issues (Dealer stumped)

I have a question for everyone concerning my 2011 GL450. I recently had the battery light flashing briefly as well as the brake light and another light on the right side of the dash randomly flash for a moment as well as the climate control turning off and resetting. Interior lights also flash on and off.

I replaced the battery (it was reading 12.4 volts when disconnected) and the problem persisted. I noticed the issue happens when the car is in accessory mode or running.

It has been at the dealer for a week now and they suspect some sort of static or corruption in the CAN bus. They've reseated every connection the can find, aren't pulling any codes off the computer, and inspected the SAMs and found no issue. They have engaged MB support and spent many hours on trying to troubleshoot the problem but with no root cause determined yet.

Has anyone happened to experience an issue similar to this? Thanks!
Old 09-20-2017, 09:01 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
'20 CLS53, '16 GLE 400 4M (hers) '14 E350 4M (daughter's)
Other, more experienced voices will chime in, but from screwing around with this stuff thirty years...a couple of thoughts. First, was anything repaired, replaced or adjusted in the last six months? Anything...lightbulb, shock, window speaker, quarter panel...doesn't matter...I'd go back to that repair and give it a microscopic inspection to see if a wire was loose, a ground was missing, something was stretched, welded, glued, pinched or generally bothered. My next step would be researching every single engine ground on the car and reseating the grounds...tightening, cleaning, whatever. I'd then be looking at main battery cables...following them to every destination and tightening or cleaning. I hate chasing gremlins, but with a lift and a DVOM, a flashlight, and unlimited time...there is at least a chance of success.

If all that fails, plan B is to sacrifice goats until the electrical gods are appeased and the problem resolves itself.

Last edited by JediJD; 09-20-2017 at 09:04 AM.
The following users liked this post:
StradaRedlands (10-05-2017)
Old 09-20-2017, 08:44 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2008 GL 320 CDI, 2004 VW V10 Touareg TDI
Originally Posted by JediJD
If all that fails, plan B is to sacrifice goats until the electrical gods are appeased and the problem resolves itself.
In my experience sacrificing virgins is more effective.
Old 09-20-2017, 08:50 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
'20 CLS53, '16 GLE 400 4M (hers) '14 E350 4M (daughter's)
Hence the value of other, more experienced voices.
Old 09-21-2017, 05:18 PM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 247 Likes on 213 Posts
Originally Posted by Dozran
I have a question for everyone concerning my 2011 GL450. I recently had the battery light flashing briefly as well as the brake light and another light on the right side of the dash randomly flash for a moment as well as the climate control turning off and resetting. Interior lights also flash on and off.

I replaced the battery (it was reading 12.4 volts when disconnected) and the problem persisted. I noticed the issue happens when the car is in accessory mode or running.

It has been at the dealer for a week now and they suspect some sort of static or corruption in the CAN bus. They've reseated every connection the can find, aren't pulling any codes off the computer, and inspected the SAMs and found no issue. They have engaged MB support and spent many hours on trying to troubleshoot the problem but with no root cause determined yet.

Has anyone happened to experience an issue similar to this? Thanks!
noobs. no amount of virgins will appease the gremlin gods. only sacrificing your firstborn would suffice.

if still not enough, a brain matter from a politician would do the trick. however, since it is like trying to find unobtanium this probably will fail too due to lack of material.

last resort - i would check for corrosion under the front fuse panel (under the hood) and if that is ok i would replace front sam. while at it i would also check for moisture/ water in the footwells.

Last edited by alx; 09-21-2017 at 05:20 PM.
Old 09-24-2017, 02:42 PM

Received 129 Likes on 92 Posts
Benz
EIS on those go bad fairly often. I have had a few with the flickering interior lights and random dash lights. There is a small piece that the solder connection comes loose creating low voltage issues to components. When it gets bad enough the car won't even start, put key in position 2 and no dash lights come on. This can be repaired if you are good with soldering on circuit boards.
The following users liked this post:
StradaRedlands (10-05-2017)