C450/C43 AMG
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rim fitment questions...yes another one (sorry)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-23-2017, 09:22 PM

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2015 Audi Q5 3.0T, 2018 C43 Coupe
Rim fitment questions...yes another one (sorry)

I'm new here, so don't want to start off on the wrong foot, so yeah, I did do some research/searching on the subject, but it's difficult to understand perspectives without having any experience with the car...so I'm asking!

I've ordered a 2018 C43 Coupe which should be arriving late October. As the excitement builds I'm looking at options to make some minor modifications to my ride. Most notably lowering the car on H&R springs and new summer wheels.

I'm located in Calgary, so I plan on using the stock 19s for winter rubber (Pirelli Winter Sottozero 3s in stock 19 sizes). I'm currently looking at HRE FF04 in Liquid metal (car will be black w/ knight package), and I'll remount the stock run flats on these so they'll be stretched a little bit. The rim sizes are F: 19x8.5 ET47 and R: 19x9.5 ET45. HRE site indicates that for C43 I need to run 20mm spacers up front for clearance reasons, so that would bring me to ET27 up front

So, here's my questions:
  1. Do I need 20mm spacers, or would I be able to get away with 15mm (ET32 w/ 8.5 rim)
  2. If I do have to go with the 20mm spacers, and I'm lowered on H&R springs, will the rims up front sit flush, or will they poke out.
  3. For the rears, would 20mm spacers (ET35) allow the rims to sit flush, or would another size get them more flush

I'm more concerned with the front as I don't want them to stick out past fender [too much] or hit any suspension components.

I can't quite make out if this setup will work, of if I should continue the rim search. Thanks in advance
Old 09-25-2017, 09:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 344 Likes on 206 Posts
2017 C43 AMG
Originally Posted by Mecca
I'm new here, so don't want to start off on the wrong foot, so yeah, I did do some research/searching on the subject, but it's difficult to understand perspectives without having any experience with the car...so I'm asking!

I've ordered a 2018 C43 Coupe which should be arriving late October. As the excitement builds I'm looking at options to make some minor modifications to my ride. Most notably lowering the car on H&R springs and new summer wheels.

I'm located in Calgary, so I plan on using the stock 19s for winter rubber (Pirelli Winter Sottozero 3s in stock 19 sizes). I'm currently looking at HRE FF04 in Liquid metal (car will be black w/ knight package), and I'll remount the stock run flats on these so they'll be stretched a little bit. The rim sizes are F: 19x8.5 ET47 and R: 19x9.5 ET45. HRE site indicates that for C43 I need to run 20mm spacers up front for clearance reasons, so that would bring me to ET27 up front

So, here's my questions:
  1. Do I need 20mm spacers, or would I be able to get away with 15mm (ET32 w/ 8.5 rim)
  2. If I do have to go with the 20mm spacers, and I'm lowered on H&R springs, will the rims up front sit flush, or will they poke out.
  3. For the rears, would 20mm spacers (ET35) allow the rims to sit flush, or would another size get them more flush

I'm more concerned with the front as I don't want them to stick out past fender [too much] or hit any suspension components.

I can't quite make out if this setup will work, of if I should continue the rim search. Thanks in advance

the rear a 9.5j wheel et 45 is the limit. and supposedly perfectly flush.

the front i havent seen it with my own eyes but i think the 27 et with an 8.5j wheel will poke. the 32mm may or may not clear with tire. i am in same boat and currently trying out fitments. you can check in on my wheel upgrade thread to see what i wind up with.
Old 09-25-2017, 04:25 PM
SPONSOR

Received 241 Likes on 188 Posts
www.wheelsboutique.com

So, here's my questions:

First off congratulations on your purchase. You must be very excited and rightfully so as the C43 Coupe is a truly great car.

HRE's engineers test fitted the FF04's on the car and they found that anything less than the 20 mm spacer on the wheel would be unsafe. The spokes would come too close to the brake calipers and other components up front. Of course you can try a 15 mm but you'd run the risk of potential damage to your vehicle.

When you lower the vehicle you will increase your chances that the wheels will be flush. This is because when you lower the car the wheels will naturally camber inward reducing poke.

For the rears I would test fit them on the car and see how much more aggressive you would like. Some of my customers will use the HRE fitment without spacers and some want a more aggressive look to match the front.

If you have any more questions about the HRE wheels please feel free to email me directly at David@WheelsBoutique.com. We are HRE's largest dealer in the world and have been so for over 10 years straight so I have all the information you need in order to make a smart purchase.
Old 09-25-2017, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by Star4life
the rear a 9.5j wheel et 45 is the limit. and supposedly perfectly flush.

the front i havent seen it with my own eyes but i think the 27 et with an 8.5j wheel will poke. the 32mm may or may not clear with tire. i am in same boat and currently trying out fitments. you can check in on my wheel upgrade thread to see what i wind up with.
Thanks...I'll check out your thread. I'm mostly interested in if the wheel pokes out...as that's not what I'm looking for. Though, I'm hoping HRE has taken this into account as I feel they would have provided an option for a narrower wheel to avoid issues with suspension components that didn't need to poke out. We shall see.
Old 09-25-2017, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by thewb
First off congratulations on your purchase. You must be very excited and rightfully so as the C43 Coupe is a truly great car.
Thanks! Definitely looking forward to getting my hands on it.

HRE's engineers test fitted the FF04's on the car and they found that anything less than the 20 mm spacer on the wheel would be unsafe. The spokes would come too close to the brake calipers and other components up front. Of course you can try a 15 mm but you'd run the risk of potential damage to your vehicle.

When you lower the vehicle you will increase your chances that the wheels will be flush. This is because when you lower the car the wheels will naturally camber inward reducing poke.
I hear ya. Perhaps an 18mm would provide a bit more room, but less poke (if there is any). But yeah, I hear ya on being careful not to damage the car.

For the rears I would test fit them on the car and see how much more aggressive you would like. Some of my customers will use the HRE fitment without spacers and some want a more aggressive look to match the front.

If you have any more questions about the HRE wheels please feel free to email me directly at David@WheelsBoutique.com. We are HRE's largest dealer in the world and have been so for over 10 years straight so I have all the information you need in order to make a smart purchase.
thanks...I'll reach out if I do get them to see what the pricing would be shipped to Calgary
Old 09-25-2017, 07:10 PM

Ideal offset?!

I wonder, has anyone ever come up with the idea offset to get the rims flush with the fenders when the car is lowered? If so, that would be awesome.
Old 09-25-2017, 08:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 344 Likes on 206 Posts
2017 C43 AMG
I wonder, has anyone ever come up with the idea offset to get the rims flush with the fenders when the car is lowered? If so, that would be awesome.

there are a ton of threads about this on the forum.

as said before 45 rear on an 9.5j wheel is pretty flush. i havent seen it yet in person but many have confirmed on the forum.

i will let you know in a week or so if this fitment is good.

front 30-32 et on a 8.5j wheel seems pretty flushed lowered. you may be able to get away with 27-30 but not confirmed and most stay in the 30-32 range it seems.
The following users liked this post:
Mecca (09-25-2017)