W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best location for temporary fitment of a fire extinguisher?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 04:19 AM

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts
Alfa Romeo Giulia Veloce
Best location for temporary fitment of a fire extinguisher?

I'll be doing a Roll Racing event on friday and need to fit a 2lb extinguisher in reach of the driver to comply with the event regulations.

In my old car i made a bracket and bolted it down to the seat mounts, but a quick look tells me that isn't possible in the E55. did a search but didn't find much other than the ones that fit inside the seat compartments. they wouldn't comply though and i probably couldn't source before Friday anyway.

nothing like leaving things till the last minute

all suggestions welcome?
Old 09-26-2017, 07:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 338 Likes on 290 Posts
2005 e55 AMG
My old car had a hidden Halon on board system that was real nice. The 55 I have now has two,one Halotron in the trunk that stays permanent and the other in front of the passenger seat on the floor for the race events. Pops right out when not racing and doesn't muck up the interior.
Old 09-26-2017, 08:35 AM

Alfa Romeo Giulia Veloce
cheers. any chance of a pic of the passenger side setup? i'll not be doing anything permanent as it will only get occasional use
Old 09-26-2017, 01:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 225 Likes on 171 Posts
2003 SL55 / 2002 SLK32
Originally Posted by mondo
I'll be doing a Roll Racing event on friday and need to fit a 2lb extinguisher in reach of the driver to comply with the event regulations.

In my old car i made a bracket and bolted it down to the seat mounts, but a quick look tells me that isn't possible in the E55. did a search but didn't find much other than the ones that fit inside the seat compartments. they wouldn't comply though and i probably couldn't source before Friday anyway.

nothing like leaving things till the last minute

all suggestions welcome?
have you considered putting it in the hatch in the front of your seat? I have done this in my SL55 and this thread https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...mpartment.html suggests that you can do it in a W211

hope that helps,
Chris\

EDIT .... oops, my bad .... I did not read your entire post (I see you have already considered and dismissed the compartment solution).

Last edited by latemodel21; 09-26-2017 at 02:38 PM.
Old 09-26-2017, 02:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 166 Likes on 137 Posts
2019 Jeep Trackhawk, 2002 CLK55, 2014 911 Carrera
Could you remove the netting on the passenger side of the trans tunnel and use its four mounting points to rig up an extinguisher mount?

Not sure why you can't remove the passenger seat completely and make a mount that bolts where the seat went.
Old 09-27-2017, 09:55 AM

Alfa Romeo Giulia Veloce
i mounted my extinguisher today.

was actually able to re-purpose the bracket i had for my old car, so that saved me some time and effort.

took a closer look at the seat compartments under the front of the seat and after I took the first aid kit out, i checked to see if i could route some zip ties around the frame. While looking, I noticed the bottom bar had two 3/16" holes in it, so i put my bracket underneath, marked the holes and drilled it to suit. fitted two bolts and Bob's ya Uncle...

Also played a bit of hide & seek with the battery, discovering it under the boot (trunk) floor lining. Fitted a battery triangle sticker and also a tow point sticker and now she is ready to be checked by the scrutineers.

Also tried my helmet on for the first time since November last year. I reckon it might have shrunk as i could barely fit my melon in there...

Thanks to all who commented.

Old 09-27-2017, 07:40 PM

Received 82 Likes on 76 Posts
E63 AMG 2007
It will actually come out right? Sorta looks locked in, nice solution.
Old 09-27-2017, 10:56 PM

Alfa Romeo Giulia Veloce
yeah the clamp in the middle is a quick release. falls straight out.

the bracket the extinguisher is mounted to is a length of 20mm angle iron, the the actual extinguisher bracket bolts to that and that is bolted to the seat.