2003 E320 - BRAKE PAD WEAR

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-04-2017, 01:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 256 Likes on 227 Posts
2018 GLC300 4Matic; 2008 ML550 4Matic; 2004 C320
2003 E320 - BRAKE PAD WEAR

Today, I received the message "BRAKE PADWEAR, Visit Workshop" on my driver display.
As I am sure that without looking at the brakes indetail, it will be hard for you todetermine which/how many pads are affected.

I am however wondering as to HOW sensitive the sensor on the car really is?
Once the message gets displayed and the car detected a possible malfunction of BRAKE PAD WEAR, how many miles can one go before this becomes an IMMIDEATE issue.

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-04-2017, 02:35 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,415 Likes on 3,145 Posts
'71 Pinto
See attachment.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Wear sensors.pdf (104.9 KB, 217 views)
The following users liked this post:
speedracer.eric (10-18-2017)
Old 10-04-2017, 03:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by konigstiger
See attachment.
Thanks very much Konigstiger.
So if I read this correctly, the pads should be replaced rather sooner than later?
Old 10-04-2017, 07:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 660 Likes on 477 Posts
2013 ML350 Bluetec
Quick and easy to pull a wheel off and take a look at the pads. If they're down to only a few millimeters of pad or if they're unevenly worn I'd think it worth the time and money to replace 'em.
Old 10-04-2017, 09:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 226 Likes on 206 Posts
'99 CLK/05 E500 WAG
....Don't feel bad, it happens to the best of us! Wear sensor indicator lit up a few months ago, and got it taken care of...So it's pretty much on point.
Points of interest if your handy DIY! There's a plethora of very informative info here, and smart members too....GL
2MERKS
Old 10-18-2017, 03:18 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2003 E320
Question

Originally Posted by 2MERKS
....Don't feel bad, it happens to the best of us! Wear sensor indicator lit up a few months ago, and got it taken care of...So it's pretty much on point.
Points of interest if your handy DIY! There's a plethora of very informative info here, and smart members too....GL
2MERKS
I too have an '03 E320 Sport, have had this warning for a few weeks now... I have changed brakes on every vehicle I've ever owned myself, but after reading through the forums I must admit that I am quite nervous to tackle this myself for one reason; I see some say that if you do not have the proper equipment (I believe some kind of special computer and perhaps some other things) aside from the typical tools for a brake job, that you could do serious damage to the vehicle or that the job is merely impossible. If someone could help me understand, can I buy new pads & rotors and change them like I would any other job (push back calipers with a C clamp and old pads, install new rotor & pads, switch wheel until all 4 are complete, start car and pump the brakes) without bleeding or replacing the fluid and everything work fine once its all back together? Is there anything I should be especially aware of other than to disconnect the SBC (maybe even the batteries? or no?) leave a window down and lock the door so i never touch the brake by accident during the job?

I plan to use stock rotors with Akebono pads & sensors, this kit is on amazon looks like a good deal, would these be compatible? I do not have 4matic, not sure what else may be important to tell you about the car...
Amazon Amazon
Old 10-18-2017, 03:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I took mine to the dealer and had it taken care of there, to ensure all is done correctly with no issues.
Still had an unresolved customer service issue from a while back when purchasing my wife's 2011 C300, so I got special treatment. REAR BRAKES, SENSORS plus an OIL and FILTER CHANGE, OUT THE DOOR including tax for 340 bucks.
I think I did ok, as I am not a DIY kinda guy, as there is never enough time for that with everything else going on.
Old 10-19-2017, 06:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 226 Likes on 206 Posts
'99 CLK/05 E500 WAG
Originally Posted by speedracer.eric
I too have an '03 E320 Sport, have had this warning for a few weeks now... I have changed brakes on every vehicle I've ever owned myself, but after reading through the forums I must admit that I am quite nervous to tackle this myself for one reason; I see some say that if you do not have the proper equipment (I believe some kind of special computer and perhaps some other things) aside from the typical tools for a brake job, that you could do serious damage to the vehicle or that the job is merely impossible. If someone could help me understand, can I buy new pads & rotors and change them like I would any other job (push back calipers with a C clamp and old pads, install new rotor & pads, switch wheel until all 4 are complete, start car and pump the brakes) without bleeding or replacing the fluid and everything work fine once its all back together? Is there anything I should be especially aware of other than to disconnect the SBC (maybe even the batteries? or no?) leave a window down and lock the door so i never touch the brake by accident during the job?

I plan to use stock rotors with Akebono pads & sensors, this kit is on amazon looks like a good deal, would these be compatible? I do not have 4matic, not sure what else may be important to tell you about the car...
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=ALPVVXN6ZQN6P

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/MBZ_Tech_Index-W211.htm

Cannot go wrong with any technical difficulties....
and the best part it's free!
The following users liked this post:
speedracer.eric (10-19-2017)
Old 10-19-2017, 12:39 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2003 E320
Originally Posted by 2MERKS
http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/MBZ_Tech_Index-W211.htm

Cannot go wrong with any technical difficulties....
and the best part it's free!
Never knew about this one, just saved it to my bookmarks... thanks!

Just an update; called the local dealership to price the job for front & rear pads & rotors, they quoted me $525 for parts and labor while I'm quoting parts alone right about the same price using the Akebono pads and I'd save maybe another $20 to use stock pads... unless anyone can give a screaming reason to use the Akebono pads, I'll let someone else do all the work and know it's done correctly if it doesn't save me anything to do it myself.
Old 10-19-2017, 02:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,729 Likes on 1,379 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
I always start with assumption that everybody coming to the forum is trying to do as much DIY as he can.
Brake pads is the job where you can relatively easy to get hand on experience working around your car, while saving quite a bit of money since the simply job is quoted quite high by the dealer.
Only precaution wit SBC is follow the safety to the point.
I don't buy any other pads than Akebono. They leave no dust on my lovely monoblocks and seems to last like 2-300,000 miles.
I just learn from tiger's pdf that unlike older models, W211 actually calculate the wear. Older models had sensor triggering light 3mm before the plate, what would give me quite few thousands miles before 100% wear.
One tip when you are doing brakes 1st time - do one side at the time, so when you wonder how to put it back together, you can always go to other side to confirm.
I also when pushing pistons in - like to bleed the fluid out and top-off with fresh one, what gives me easy partial fluid flush.

Last edited by kajtek1; 10-19-2017 at 02:41 PM.
Old 10-19-2017, 06:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 660 Likes on 477 Posts
2013 ML350 Bluetec
Kaj, I like the method you describe of getting fresh fluid into the calipers. I'm thinking you mean open the bleeder, push the pistons in (bleeding out the fluid) then closing the bleeder and topping up the reservoir after pumping up the brakes? Gonna try that next time.

Note to those who do the brakes themselves on SBC equipped cars: If the brake computer applies the brakes while the calipers are off the rotors... or if your fingers are in the way... You're not going to like the result. What Kajtek1 said is true: follow the safety to the point. Either disable the SBC system one way or another or close and lock the doors and put the key far away from you so you don't activate the brake test by accident. If you don't know what I'm talking about, do some searching on this site until you do.
Old 10-21-2017, 12:54 AM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
w211 03'
Originally Posted by S70Houston
Today, I received the message "BRAKE PADWEAR, Visit Workshop" on my driver display.
As I am sure that without looking at the brakes indetail, it will be hard for you todetermine which/how many pads are affected.

I am however wondering as to HOW sensitive the sensor on the car really is?
Once the message gets displayed and the car detected a possible malfunction of BRAKE PAD WEAR, how many miles can one go before this becomes an IMMIDEATE issue.

Thanks in advance!

As other said, disconnect SBC fisrt !!!! just unplug it, that's what my shop do and then change the pads and sensor.