E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

Warped brake rotors

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-19-2017, 06:03 PM

Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts
E220d
Warped brake rotors

I've got the AMG line bigger brakes on my W213 and they've warped. Vibration started a couple weeks ago under light braking, really noticeable when drive pilot is slowing the car or maintaining distance to cars ahead. It's gotten worse now and needs to go back to dealer but I suspect with 26000 miles on the clock I'll be told to stump up for replacements (last check indicated something like only 10v percent pad use, I'm not hard on brakes!).

I've never braked hard in the car and don't cover the brakes. I've never warped discs in over half a million miles of driving and wouldn't expect discs that big to be overhelmed by the cars weight either. But I think drive pilot is the cause, constantly light braking, dragging the brakes all the time and putting a lot of heat in to them. I do a lot of miles with it active.

I've read others have had problems with standard brakes and drive pilot, anyone had issues with drive pilot? I'd like some at least anecdotal evidence to go to the dealer with before trying to avoid what's likely to be around £1000 bill.
Old 10-20-2017, 01:45 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
2017 E300
warranty will cover defective items. just bring it in and see what they say.
Old 10-20-2017, 01:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 267 Likes on 163 Posts
S213
W205 and W213 both use a new type of hybrid rotor, very sensitive and easily warped.
According to Daimler using aftermarket wheels and an impact wrench will void rotor warranty.
Old 10-20-2017, 02:11 PM

E220d
Originally Posted by vic viper
W205 and W213 both use a new type of hybrid rotor, very sensitive and easily warped.
According to Daimler using aftermarket wheels and an impact wrench will void rotor warranty.
Wow! They look like they'd stop a truck. Why on earth make them so fragile? Have you seen any amg line rotors warped? I feel like I'm being very unlucky with this car.
Old 11-06-2017, 09:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E Class w213
Yh don't worry it's not just you I have had warped rotors on my w213. First time it happend car was around 6k miles and I was on a trip across europe from UK.
It started shaking the whole car when braking & happened on the drive from France to Italy and I managed called mercedes and they arranged for a dealership in italy to take my car in while i was there. (Which was incredibly done as they arranged for everything considering i was in milan for a day). The italian dealership replaced all my back rotors and brakes. No charge for me as car was under warranty. They didn't ask too much questions as there was a language barrier between us, they sent couple of engineers to drive around and test and just got to work.

However now its doing it again, but only noticeable on long trips 4hrs+ . Its been 6 months since the rotor change and i've done another 6-7k miles. It always seem to start when ever the autopilot has been driving for extended amounts of time. Im convinced the auto pilot brakes harder or something of that sort especially 90+mph . As I haven't really done any heavy braking but can't really be sure whats called heavy with this car.
My first service is coming up and i'm going make a point to bring this up and get it fixed. But im not so sure they will just replace them as its such a pain to get anything done by the dealer in UK , even just the map updates. Will update and see what happens.

Im pretty sure the italian dealership just put new everything as it was easier/language barrier.. Im sure my UK dealer will somehow turn it to be my fault.
Old 11-06-2017, 10:20 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
W213
Originally Posted by panduka56
Yh don't worry it's not just you I have had warped rotors on my w213. First time it happend car was around 6k miles and I was on a trip across europe from UK.
It started shaking the whole car when braking & happened on the drive from France to Italy and I managed called mercedes and they arranged for a dealership in italy to take my car in while i was there. (Which was incredibly done as they arranged for everything considering i was in milan for a day). The italian dealership replaced all my back rotors and brakes. No charge for me as car was under warranty. They didn't ask too much questions as there was a language barrier between us, they sent couple of engineers to drive around and test and just got to work.

However now its doing it again, but only noticeable on long trips 4hrs+ . Its been 6 months since the rotor change and i've done another 6-7k miles. It always seem to start when ever the autopilot has been driving for extended amounts of time. Im convinced the auto pilot brakes harder or something of that sort especially 90+mph . As I haven't really done any heavy braking but can't really be sure whats called heavy with this car.
My first service is coming up and i'm going make a point to bring this up and get it fixed. But im not so sure they will just replace them as its such a pain to get anything done by the dealer in UK , even just the map updates. Will update and see what happens.

Im pretty sure the italian dealership just put new everything as it was easier/language barrier.. Im sure my UK dealer will somehow turn it to be my fault.
Wow this is very impressive, I was wondering if the italian lads asked any questions? Here in Ireland they give you 2 years warranty and then the b*tch and moan about having to do any warranty work (they're not direct MB dealers). I haven't taken delivery on my W213 yet (jan) but if something happens I might take it up north and get it done there (3 years warranty in the UK)
Old 11-06-2017, 10:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 188 Likes on 118 Posts
...21 GLE53 24 GLE53
Strange that your warranties are so short in Ireland and the UK. In Canada we get four years and 80,000 kms.
Old 11-06-2017, 10:57 AM

W213
Originally Posted by petee1997
Strange that your warranties are so short in Ireland and the UK. In Canada we get four years and 80,000 kms.
ours are good for 100,000Km (I think, could be 80k) but only 2 years, UK is 3 years/100,000 miles (160k km) if I'm not mistaken. This is pretty terrible considering how tough EU is on consumer rights. We don't have an option to buy additional warranty here either (not sure about UK)
Old 11-06-2017, 04:17 PM

E220d
Originally Posted by W213Sal
ours are good for 100,000Km (I think, could be 80k) but only 2 years, UK is 3 years/100,000 miles (160k km) if I'm not mistaken. This is pretty terrible considering how tough EU is on consumer rights. We don't have an option to buy additional warranty here either (not sure about UK)
I think a fair few UK warranties are two years from manufacturers and the third year is from the dealers, though it's not obvious there is a change over unless you look in to it (as in, the car is sold with three year warranty but when you read t's and C's you see there is a changeover). Some cars have longer warranties, Toyota is 4 years after all the recall issues they had (in an effort to improve brand imagine) and Kia is 7 years but I understand it gets harder and harder to claim as the vehicle ages without them blaming wear and tear.
Old 11-06-2017, 04:27 PM

E220d
Originally Posted by panduka56
Yh don't worry it's not just you I have had warped rotors on my w213.
Hi, what brakes have you got on yours? Standard or the AMG line bigger rotors?

I've heard the standard brakes are prone to warping but not heard anyone with the bigger vented brakes suffer it; I've got the bigger brakes.

My car goes in to the UK dealer next week to have this looked at. I'm convinced drive pilot is the issue coupled with brake hold. Ever since I started getting the vibrations I've become very aware just how much drive pilot rides the brakes, it's not very good at naturally slowing down/matching speed with motorway traffic so I find it's braking way more than I would. So I imagine the pads are heating up badly on the motorway then, coming off on to busy/stationary slip road and putting brake hold on, it's just heat sinking the rotor in that little spot. I remember from track days you never put the handbrake on when back off track till the brakes cool but that's effectively what's happening on every commute for me.

Fingers crossed UK dealer is as accomodating as the Italians where maybe I need to do a road trip!
Old 11-06-2017, 09:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,066 Likes on 702 Posts
17 E43; 21 GLS580
Warped rotors are not in fact warped they have deposits of brake caliper material, the deposits are very small but lead to an uneven surface. A quick turn on the disc lathe will cure it. The culprit is not the disks but rather the pads. Run of the mill street pads are quiet but have lower heat capacity and are thus more prone to heat degradation thus "warping". As far as I can tell the AMG brakes do not have the issue, I would have had it by now since I have tracked the car, thus operated the brakes at very high temps.
Old 11-07-2017, 12:48 AM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
2023 E450W, 2020 GLC300
c4004matic is correct. There is an excellent technical discussion here by noted brake authority Carroll Smith, titled

The "Warped" Brake Disc and Other Myths of the Braking System

http://www.stoptech.com/technical-su...nd-other-myths
Old 11-07-2017, 10:54 AM

E220d
Indeed, the article describes exactly what I'm saying, high heat put into the pads by drive pilot use followed by sitting stationary with brake hold on is hot spotting the rotor and likely causing pad material to weld on the disc. Not a great design pairing!
Old 11-07-2017, 11:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
Unfortunately, "warping" is not really a "defect" its a wear and tear issue. Honda cars have suffered from it for........ forever! Personally, I do consider it a design flaw AKA, cheap brakes. Wow european warranties suck royally, no pun intended In the states its 48 mths 50K miles which is considered an averagel offer, VW just introduced a six year warranty.
Old 11-07-2017, 11:20 AM

W213
Originally Posted by c4004matic
Unfortunately, "warping" is not really a "defect" its a wear and tear issue. Honda cars have suffered from it for........ forever! Personally, I do consider it a design flaw AKA, cheap brakes. Wow european warranties suck royally, no pun intended In the states its 48 mths 50K miles which is considered an averagel offer, VW just introduced a six year warranty.
VW here is 3Y as well I think. Japanese cars (other than lexus) are 5, Koreans are 7, and Mitsubishi is a whopping 8!
Old 11-07-2017, 11:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
Originally Posted by W213Sal
VW here is 3Y as well I think. Japanese cars (other than lexus) are 5, Koreans are 7, and Mitsubishi is a whopping 8!
Its all a competition game in the US "native" manufacturers used to be 3, the Koreans started the warranty wars with seven years. Its a strategy to increase market share.
Old 11-07-2017, 11:41 AM

W213
Originally Posted by c4004matic
Its all a competition game in the US "native" manufacturers used to be 3, the Koreans started the warranty wars with seven years. Its a strategy to increase market share.
Yup, over here mercedes only sells on the back of brand loyalty/dedicated fan base. They don't have any dealerships here in Ireland, it's just one distributor who has a few dealerships + few independents who buy off that one distributor. I hope Mercedes will get tired of their BS fairly soon. BMW have the market cornered here with the 3 series, the new 5 series is flying out of the show rooms. E class W213 was selling well last year, but I think 5 series has sold a lot more this year. There are no GLC or GLEs to be seen anywhere, in this segment you only see the X3 and X5, maybe the odd audi Q3 and Q5. I'm sure I'm probably the youngest guy in the country who has ordered a new W213 this year at 27. The salesman was almost shocked to find out my age.
Old 11-08-2017, 08:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E Class w213
Originally Posted by Proeliator2001
Hi, what brakes have you got on yours? Standard or the AMG line bigger rotors?

I've heard the standard brakes are prone to warping but not heard anyone with the bigger vented brakes suffer it; I've got the bigger brakes. !
Yh mines got the bigger AMG rotors and brakes. So it might be an issue with both types. I'm heavily leaning towards the issue being with Drive Pilot constantly riding on the brakes, especially on long trips. I booked my service today, however I was advised that my car can do with waiting another month for the service as that's actually when its due.
They got it on their notes to look at the brakes when its in.

I'm debating if I should say this is the first time its happened or mention about it happening 6 months ago in italy (brakes+rotors being replaced). I dont think they have their systems joined across Europe such as the UK dealer network. Italian dealership had a hard time finding any info and they just gave me paperwork and took photocopies of my V5 to claim for repiars.
As i don't think they might be so inclined to replace/fix my brakes for a second time. Even tho it's nothing to do with me.

And anyone have experience with first service? Am I better off by refilling my adblue prior to it?..
My adblue ran out after about 8k miles and dealer charged me like £40-£60 for refill (can't remember exact). Is there a specific kind thats used by Merc for there cars? Since adblue is every where for cheaper, so don't see why you have to pay such a premium.
Old 11-08-2017, 09:07 AM

E220d
I'd be inclined to mention the previous incident and replacement to show the brakes are even newer and so shouldn't be juddering at all. I'm doing a 53 mile each way trip up the motorway everyday and had been using drive pilot extensively so I'm with you on what the potential impact is. Something about dense traffic speeding up and down a lot (why can't people maintain speed on the motorway! Grrr) is maybe giving the brakes a serious workout with drive pilot dragging so much.

I'll let you know how I get on next week. Might sway how you approach the dealer.

Re adblue, I filled mine up at 10,000 miles or so in a truckers fuel lane at a notify motorway services (and had a lorry driver go off at me for the pleasure "f-ing car drivers using the lorry lane", he was red in the face ranting,I found it hysterical). Cost about 70 pence a litre. So by first service I had over half a tank left and without asking the dealer filled it up (standard to do so I was told) at about £1.30 a litre! It's just run out again and I've the warning come up at 27000 miles. Might just buy some online this time.
Old 11-26-2017, 03:48 PM

E220d
Car went in to dealers a few days ago and brake rotor was identifed as being at fault; minor runout issue. Dealer gave details to Mercedes and obtained a {lack of any} goodwill discount of 50 precent of the cost to replace front discs and pads. They are only worn 15 percent, dealer expected Merc to cough up 80 percent of cost and even that is rubbish considering it seems to be a common design issue. No way in hell I'm paying £280 for brakes/rotors and having a very high chance of it coming back again!

15 percent wear over 27000 miles surely shows I'm not harsh on the brakes.

Anyway, anyone have any luck getting Mercedes to increase "goodwill" amounts?
Old 04-03-2019, 05:15 PM

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Past 03 SL500,03 C240, 07 E350, 07 ML350, 10 ML350,11&14 E350 X2 2017 E300, 2017 C350e & 2000 S500
After numerous dealer visits for vibration, dealer accepted that the discs have a "run out" issue and is replacing them as goodwell. Very unacceptable for Mercedes. If you come across this is in the future, know its a design issue and not your problem.
Old 04-04-2019, 08:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 653 Likes on 511 Posts
2018 S560 and 2019 E450 Wagon.
Benz is pretty good about not having that issue. GM's and a lot of the Japanese cars always seem to have the warped rotor issue. Rare on a Benz.
Old 04-04-2019, 10:12 AM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
2019 E450 4 matic
Originally Posted by BobbyT
c4004matic is correct. There is an excellent technical discussion here by noted brake authority Carroll Smith, titled

The "Warped" Brake Disc and Other Myths of the Braking System

http://www.stoptech.com/technical-su...nd-other-myths

Very good information above. There are some additional articles and suggestions in post #20 of this earlier conversation here: https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...ke-judder.html

Having spent 30 plus years in West Texas heat, these tricks will stop the brake pad deposits from occurring. I never had an issue after learning what the cause was.
Old 04-04-2019, 10:16 AM

Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts
2024 AMG GLE 53
Hi has anyone here brought their car to the dealer for the brake vibration, when braking lightly? I think I am starting to feel it too. AMG line with the bbk, and still under 10k miles. So they should be like new, just curious if anyone had success with dealer replacement or resurface under warranty and actually resolved the ussue?
Old 04-04-2019, 11:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 294 Likes on 223 Posts
E 300 AMG-Line diesel-Hybrid - 2021
yes 3 times & every time replaced (over a period of a year) . for passed 6 months or so everything seems to be ok . (had car for 1.5y / 70.000km)

Last edited by Egonvdv; 04-04-2019 at 11:10 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.