SL-Class (R231) 2013 on: Discussion on the SL550

SL/R231: air scarf stopped working

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-19-2017, 10:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 SL550; Lexus RX 330
air scarf stopped working

Weather was getting a little cool so I decided to try the air scarf feature. I had tested it a few months ago during the repurchase inspection at which time it worked fine. Today it did not work, no lights, no power, no air.... Tired it with roof up and down, nothing. All other seat and climate features seem to be working except this one?? Anyone have this problem?
Old 11-19-2017, 12:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 913 Likes on 601 Posts
2019 SL550/2023 EQS 580 SUV
Is the passenger side not working also or just the drivers side out?
Old 11-19-2017, 03:51 PM

2013 SL550; Lexus RX 330
Originally Posted by Utopia Texas
Is the passenger side not working also or just the drivers side out?
Both, no power to either side, I should have mentioned that.
Old 11-20-2017, 11:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
17 SL550 (Designo Edition), 08 C300, 13 Mini Cooper, 17 Macan GTS, 18 720s
Sometimes the connections (connectors) get unconnected, that happened to us a while back, seats stopped working right after a visit to the car wash. Check the connectors and reseat them.

MB
Old 11-21-2017, 07:17 AM

2013 SL550; Lexus RX 330
Thanks, where are the connectors located. I will check them.
Old 11-22-2017, 09:50 PM

2013 SL550
I have the same problem...the lights come on, but go off after 10 seconds..on both sides..no air scarf...is this a connector or relay issue?
Old 11-23-2017, 07:19 AM

2013 SL550; Lexus RX 330
Your issue sounds a little different as you are getting a power supply, at least temporarily. My lights do not come on at all for either side. Im starting to think fuse for my issue?
Old 11-23-2017, 07:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I guess I sit in a funny position because my neck ends up about 6 inches from the air scarf vent and I always wear a high collared jacket during cold weather so for me the whole air scarf experience is minimal at best. Roll the windows and air screen down and it is non existent.
Old 11-24-2017, 09:17 AM

2013 SL550
Originally Posted by alland
Your issue sounds a little different as you are getting a power supply, at least temporarily. My lights do not come on at all for either side. Im starting to think fuse for my issue?
I will attempt to do a visual inspection of the connectors...meanwhile I have an extended warranty and will simply take it to them for troubleshooting and repair...Thanx.
Old 11-24-2017, 04:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 232 Likes on 188 Posts
Shanks’s Pony
Originally Posted by Utopia Texas
I guess I sit in a funny position because my neck ends up about 6 inches from the air scarf vent and I always wear a high collared jacket during cold weather so for me the whole air scarf experience is minimal at best. Roll the windows and air screen down and it is non existent.
Well if you really want to be cold......yes have the screen and windows down on a cold day.

With the roof down and windows and screen up, I find it excellent. I set the a/c of FOCUS, air scarf and heated seats on and with a light jacket / pullover I'm comfortable. Just need something for the bald patch as I'm 6'2" and the wind just barely catches the top of my head but, it does get cold this time of year.

erhaps I sit closer to the steering than you do..(I was taught that in the correct seating position, while my shoulders are pushed back into the seat & with my arms straight, my wrists must rest on top of the steering at 12 o'clock and my knee must remain partly bent even with the gas or brake fully depressed).
Old 11-24-2017, 05:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by rorywquin
Well if you really want to be cold......yes have the screen and windows down on a cold day.

With the roof down and windows and screen up, I find it excellent. I set the a/c of FOCUS, air scarf and heated seats on and with a light jacket / pullover I'm comfortable. Just need something for the bald patch as I'm 6'2" and the wind just barely catches the top of my head but, it does get cold this time of year.

erhaps I sit closer to the steering than you do..(I was taught that in the correct seating position, while my shoulders are pushed back into the seat & with my arms straight, my wrists must rest on top of the steering at 12 o'clock and my knee must remain partly bent even with the gas or brake fully depressed).
I have lower back problems and sit most comfortably where my shoulders do not touch the seat. Do not do it on purpose but all my vehicle seats end up in this position. Might try readjusting and force my shoulders back against the seat for a while and see if I can adapt.
Old 11-24-2017, 10:32 PM

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
2017 SL450
Originally Posted by rorywquin
40 degrees F, without rain or snow and my SL's top is stowed. Windows up. Screen up. Heated seat on high, Airscarf on high. Temperature set at 78 degrees, without using the air conditioning. Fan in manual mode, at highway speeds (65 - 90MPH) fan speed set at one bar from max fan. Heated air from both drivers side vents, aimed at both sides of my head. Left passenger vent also aimed at my head. Directional air control set for the upper cabin. That's all that's needed. Today it was 41 when I left for the gym. I had on a tee shirt and a light polyester pullover, along with a MB hat, and I was quite warm.
Old 03-15-2018, 05:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK320
Originally Posted by tridge400
I will attempt to do a visual inspection of the connectors...meanwhile I have an extended warranty and will simply take it to them for troubleshooting and repair...Thanx.
Can you please give us an update on your issue? I have the same problem as you, but no warranty. The lights on both buttons come on for a few seconds and then turn off. The problem happened on both sides at the same time, so I'm 99% sure the problem is electrical and not mechanical.
Old 05-02-2018, 05:02 PM

2013 SL550; Lexus RX 330
Sadly I brought the SL out a few weeks ago, from winter storage, and it had not miraculously fixed itself. I still have no power at the switches for Air Scarf. When I push the buttons for air scarf for either seat no lights come on the switch and no warm air is provided. This is the case with roof up or down and it appears that all other circuits for seat adjustments and climate control are working fine. I'm on the verge of biting the bullet and heading into the dealer but if anyone has any other, suggestions I'd appreciate the help..... i can only imagine a lot of diagnostic time and a crazy bill from MB to trouble shoot this one. Please help.......
Old 02-19-2019, 10:55 PM

2013 SL550
I have the same problem...the lights come on, but go off after 10 seconds..on both sides..no air scarf...is this a connector or relay issue?
UPDATE: Finally took vehicle into dealer, and sure enough it was the connector under each seat. They reconnected and system works as advertised. I don’t know how they became disconnected, hopefully it’s not a problematic design or default. Hope this helps those that are troubleshooting their issue.
Old 04-27-2019, 05:05 PM

SLK 280 R171 2007 Black / Audi A4 Quattro V6 3.0 2002 Silver
Talking

UPDATE: Finally took vehicle into dealer, and sure enough it was the connector under each seat. They reconnected and system works as advertised. I don’t know how they became disconnected, hopefully it’s not a problematic design or default. Hope this helps those that are troubleshooting their issue.
Could be some cleaning with vacuum.
Old 09-04-2020, 07:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
SLK 200 r171
Originally Posted by alland
Sadly I brought the SL out a few weeks ago, from winter storage, and it had not miraculously fixed itself. I still have no power at the switches for Air Scarf. When I push the buttons for air scarf for either seat no lights come on the switch and no warm air is provided. This is the case with roof up or down and it appears that all other circuits for seat adjustments and climate control are working fine. I'm on the verge of biting the bullet and heading into the dealer but if anyone has any other, suggestions I'd appreciate the help..... i can only imagine a lot of diagnostic time and a crazy bill from MB to trouble shoot this one. Please help.......
Hello alland,
I have the same issue on the same car, airscarf completely dead, both lights don’t turn on at all when pressing the buttons.. have you solved the issue?
Old 09-04-2020, 07:24 PM

SLK 280 R171 2007 Black / Audi A4 Quattro V6 3.0 2002 Silver
In my case, the Lights come on but after 2 seconds they all go off. IT seems to be a protection for an open circuit of the heating wire circuit. But maybe in your case its the module behind the Passenger seat.
Old 11-06-2020, 10:19 PM

2013 Sl550
Does anyone have any instructions on how to replace the module. its unclear how the trim panel is removed?
Old 11-07-2020, 12:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 404 Likes on 302 Posts
2015 SL400; 2019 X5M40i
I never checked the operation of the AirScarf before I purchased my CPO SL. This was my fault but it also should have been checked by the selling dealer as part of the CPO certification. That said, the first time I tried to use them, nothing. Neither side worked, no lights, nothing. I took it in to my local dealer and they replaced some sort of module. I can look at the invoice if you want the part number. They both now work perfectly. I'm sorry but I don't know where this module is located.
Old 02-26-2024, 08:01 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Model: ML320 Year: 2000; Model: ML350 Year: 2012
Airscarf connectors under driver's seat go bad.

Originally Posted by opinaca
In my case, the Lights come on but after 2 seconds they all go off. IT seems to be a protection for an open circuit of the heating wire circuit. But maybe in your case its the module behind the Passenger seat.
Hi all, I've repaired 2 cars with the same issue. Sometimes one side works, sometimes neither. The connector under the driver's seat is the usual culprit. Sometimes you can wiggle them together, but that's usually a short term fix. The issue is that the heater draws high current on the black and brown wires. The wires and loom are usually ok, but the culprit is the tiny inside connectors of the plug and socket for those two wires. Too small and can’t take the current over time. Twice now, I've cut the wires on each side of the connector (just one brown and one black) and reconnected then bridging with 14 gauge wire, bypassing the connector. Don't disturb the yellow connector that's close by too much - that's part of the airbag/safety section.

That should work. I do it without removing the drivers seat. Just raise it as high as you can before working on the wires. That's it. No problems after that.

Last edited by petergusa; 02-26-2024 at 09:50 PM.
The following users liked this post:
opinaca (02-26-2024)