Sponsored by:

Carbon ceramic brake downgrade

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-11-2018, 06:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Porsche Cayenne Turbo 2009
Carbon ceramic brake downgrade

Hi there, I’ve been looking through the forum and would like to know if anyone has downgraded from carbon ceramics to steel brake system. Is it an easy thing to do? I assume a straight caliper and rotor replacement, wasn’t sure if the mounting points or such are different too. Thanks for your input.
Old 01-15-2018, 08:16 AM

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts
E63s s213 2019 ,SOLD E63 Weistec, E55, C36
why are you downgrading?
Old 01-15-2018, 09:35 AM

Received 98 Likes on 70 Posts
2014 E63 AMG wagon
Originally Posted by agentsmurf156
Hi there, I’ve been looking through the forum and would like to know if anyone has downgraded from carbon ceramics to steel brake system. Is it an easy thing to do? I assume a straight caliper and rotor replacement, wasn’t sure if the mounting points or such are different too. Thanks for your input.
I have a full set of Red/ iron brakes for the w212 off a 14' wagon for sale. Calipers / rotors , splash shields nuts bolts the whole deal.
Old 01-15-2018, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by Savage212
I have a full set of Red/ iron brakes for the w212 off a 14' wagon for sale. Calipers / rotors , splash shields nuts bolts the whole deal.
actually was looking to buy a car with carbon ceramics and was trying to figure out what my options were when the wear out. The pricing to replace is crazy.
Old 01-17-2018, 01:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
2011 E63, 2013 CLS63
Originally Posted by agentsmurf156

actually was looking to buy a car with carbon ceramics and was trying to figure out what my options were when the wear out. The pricing to replace is crazy.
Aren't they rated for something like 120,000 miles or something like that? I heard with the exotics they're pretty much considered a lifetime part. Maybe if you use them like crazy they wear out quicker but I see what you mean on the replacement price, OUCH!!!
Old 01-17-2018, 02:00 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
2012 E63S Wagon, 2005 E500
I know a guy who pulled ceramic brakes off his GT3 and put steel on it. Cheaper to run/service and when it's time to sell, the new ceramic stuff goes back on. Oh, he races an EVO rally car too so I'm sure he understands what he is doing.
Old 01-18-2018, 09:19 AM

Received 98 Likes on 70 Posts
2014 E63 AMG wagon
Originally Posted by Silverp30wagon
I know a guy who pulled ceramic brakes off his GT3 and put steel on it. Cheaper to run/service and when it's time to sell, the new ceramic stuff goes back on. Oh, he races an EVO rally car too so I'm sure he understands what he is doing.
It's rather comon in the Porsche world for the owners to swap to irons. Those types are tracking the cars often, for a track scenario they carbons do wear out and are quite costly to replace or service. On a street car that might see a race track once or twice a year if that? Not as much an issue IMO. Most the available data agrees with a 100k service life on the rotors for street use. Naturally many cars equipped the carbon ceramic brakes are "sports cars" so there is a larger group of owners racing. Typically, you don't see many 5000# sedans as regular track cars.
Old 01-20-2018, 06:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 113 Likes on 93 Posts
The best or nothing
The cost of CCBs is probably around 4x higher than steel brakes. On the other hand, they should last at least 4x longer. So what's the advantage of downgrading?
The following users liked this post:
a100steaksauce (02-04-2020)
Old 01-20-2018, 08:47 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
‘17 Carrera GTS, ‘16 E63 Estate, 1965 Shelby Cobra and a few more
Originally Posted by Savage212
It's rather comon in the Porsche world for the owners to swap to irons. Those types are tracking the cars often, for a track scenario they carbons do wear out and are quite costly to replace or service. On a street car that might see a race track once or twice a year if that? Not as much an issue IMO. Most the available data agrees with a 100k service life on the rotors for street use. Naturally many cars equipped the carbon ceramic brakes are "sports cars" so there is a larger group of owners racing. Typically, you don't see many 5000# sedans as regular track cars.
A lot of people will make this statement... that Porsche owners replace their CCBs with steel brakes. I think the first thing to understand is that CCBs won’t make your car stop faster, and when it comes to Porsche cars, their steel brake systems are exceptional. The lighter mass of the 911 makes it less prone to premature brake fade at the track, which the E63 will suffer from far sooner, so steel brakes offer a lot of performance and, likely, better brake feel to the driver. If you read up on Porsche CCB (PCCB) system you will also find out there is a specific warm up and cool down process you are supposed to go through, that a lot of casual track racers ignore. There are even track-specific PCCB pads (I think Pagid) that you should run. Combine this with brake-activated torque vectoring and the PCCB system can fail (premature wear, delamination) early. Another problem that affects all CCB systems is that the rotors are brittle and if you go off track and throw up a lot of rocks, you can damage the rotors. It’s actually worse in Porsche because the rotors and calipers are huge and on the minimum 20” wheels there is not even 1/4” of clearance between the inner wheel and the caliper... it’s not uncommon for debris to get jammed in that gap and cause damage.

With that in mind, it’s not surprising that Porsche owners replace their PCCB system with steel brakes. There are a wide range of aftermarket options available in addition to OEM, and the replacement cost is quite a bit less than the Mercedes OEM steel brake costs. I have PCCB on my GTS and really like them, with one complaint, they are kind of grabby and don’t have the foot feel that steel brakes offer. For a primarily street driven car, I’d go CCB but for a track car I would definitely go steel.
zther (01-31-2018)
Old 01-20-2018, 10:09 PM

Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts
CL63 AMG
Racing Brake can chemically resurface your carbon rotors for a tiny fraction of the cost. I think their going rate is $450 or something like that. Shoot them an email ...
Old 01-25-2018, 06:12 PM

I checked with Racing brake, they can't retreat OEM rotors, but there are steel ones for $1800 a pair so there is a reasonable solution when these are done, they are compatible with the current callers and pads. Thanks for the contact.
Old 02-03-2020, 11:22 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C63 T-model with PP, E63s T-model
Hello guys, just some time ago I did find small dent / chip in one of my front rotors (in the middle of the circle), I am not tracking the car, is just my daily car since june 2019, in the last 8 months did 27K km

Is 2015 E63s T-model, out of warranty, so now looking for the best solution, was reading this forum for a while and searching all „CCB“ threads.

I am servicing the car only at my local well know MB dealership, but as with the price of CCB, maybe will be able to goth them somewhere cheaper.

Any idea about this, or maybe link to useful thread which I don’t find yet , for MB parts good deals ?

Thank you.
Old 02-03-2020, 12:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The best or nothing
Originally Posted by brano_co
Hello guys, just some time ago I did find small dent / chip in one of my front rotors (in the middle of the circle), I am not tracking the car, is just my daily car since june 2019, in the last 8 months did 27K km

Is 2015 E63s T-model, out of warranty, so now looking for the best solution, was reading this forum for a while and searching all „CCB“ threads.

I am servicing the car only at my local well know MB dealership, but as with the price of CCB, maybe will be able to goth them somewhere cheaper.

Any idea about this, or maybe link to useful thread which I don’t find yet , for MB parts good deals ?

Thank you.
Hi, try these guys www.rebrake.de .. they could help. If you do, please let me know!
Old 02-03-2020, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by Jan AMG
Hi, try these guys www.rebrake.de .. they could help. If you do, please let me know!
Thank you, actually I already find this company in on thread over here , just when was reading their web page , did find this : bla bla bla ... and to exclude discs with cracks. ....

so not sure mine will be good with this, anyway wort to send them a email anyway...

Last edited by brano_co; 02-03-2020 at 01:19 PM.
Old 02-04-2020, 01:43 AM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
2016 E63S Wagon
Racingbrake makes a conversion to go from CCB rotors to iron.

https://www.racingbrake.com/ProductD...oductCode=2601
Old 02-04-2020, 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by Seattle E63S
Racingbrake makes a conversion to go from CCB rotors to iron.

https://www.racingbrake.com/ProductD...oductCode=2601
Yes know about this, thank you, but also find this comment in this link of the same company: https://www.racingbrake.com/RB-Iron-...for-p/2497.htmJanuary 24, 2019

Do NOT buy these rotors, the Open vents will crack

I would give ZERO stars if it were possible. Do NOT use their vented / drilled rotors for anything more than mild driving. These rotors crack with even mild spirited driving on a 2016 VW Golf R using moderate track pads and a couple of laps at a HPDE. RB promised to make it right with a refund and then stopped answering calls or emails. VW / Audi Haldex system uses an electronic front diff and the front brakes to control for understeer which creates heat. Beware, do not use a vented / drilled rotor for more than only mild daily driving, you will crack these rotors and RB will string you along for months, asking for more and more photos, brake pad specifications and then do nothing for you. Nada. Buyer Beware. Zero Customer Service from these guys and they will not remove the product from their sales page. You have been warned, bad product, even worse customer service.
Old 02-05-2020, 10:58 AM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
2016 E63S Wagon
Yes know about this, thank you, but also find this comment in this link of the same company: https://www.racingbrake.com/RB-Iron-...for-p/2497.htmJanuary 24, 2019

Do NOT buy these rotors, the Open vents will crack

I would give ZERO stars if it were possible. Do NOT use their vented / drilled rotors for anything more than mild driving. These rotors crack with even mild spirited driving on a 2016 VW Golf R using moderate track pads and a couple of laps at a HPDE. RB promised to make it right with a refund and then stopped answering calls or emails. VW / Audi Haldex system uses an electronic front diff and the front brakes to control for understeer which creates heat. Beware, do not use a vented / drilled rotor for more than only mild daily driving, you will crack these rotors and RB will string you along for months, asking for more and more photos, brake pad specifications and then do nothing for you. Nada. Buyer Beware. Zero Customer Service from these guys and they will not remove the product from their sales page. You have been warned, bad product, even worse customer service.
i always take bad reviews with skepticism, RB has a terrific reputation, my guess is this guy ran a very aggressive a pad or overheated the rotor.
Old 02-05-2020, 11:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The best or nothing
Thank you, actually I already find this company in on thread over here , just when was reading their web page , did find this : bla bla bla ... and to exclude discs with cracks. ....

so not sure mine will be good with this, anyway wort to send them a email anyway...
I see, I was hoping they are able to fix cracks or missing pieces.
Old 04-13-2020, 11:40 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
e63 wagon 2014
reviving this thread, looks like racingbrake does not offer the conversion any more? Does anyone else have an update for a cheaper option for CCB replacement, ie cheaper rotors or cheaper steel swap?
Old 04-23-2020, 10:45 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 AMG Wagon
Just drive and enjoy the CCB's. i have them on my wagon and they are amazing!
dufferdude (04-25-2020)
Old 04-25-2020, 12:16 PM
e65

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
2014 E63 S model
I went from iron to ccb. I have the oem/original steel rotors, pads, red calipers etc from 2014 e63s. i was thinking of putting on sale
Old 04-27-2020, 01:11 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
2014 E63 S Wagon
Originally Posted by maxknuckles
reviving this thread, looks like racingbrake does not offer the conversion any more? Does anyone else have an update for a cheaper option for CCB replacement, ie cheaper rotors or cheaper steel swap?
After seeing your post about RB not offering this anymore - I went poking around. See my emails to and from Giro-disc that we exchanged last week - this leaves me hopeful when it comes time to replace my CCBs they will have an aftermarket option by then. In the meantime I am enjoying the hell out of them... A lot of life left, on second set of pads, 113K miles, original CC rotors... (fingers crossed).

(ORIGINAL EMAIL I SENT TO GIRO-DISC)
I recently purchased a used 2014 E63 S AMG wagon that came with the B07 carbon ceramic brake option. Currently, they look like they have plenty of life left, but I know they will be quite expensive when it comes time to replace them. Do you know if your 390mm front and 360mm rear steel brake option for the SLS will fit the E63 wagon? It looks like the carbon ceramic rotors for MB fits many of their cars that have the CCB option, I would think that any aftermarket options that fit one of those models, would be good for another, or am I incorrect? Additionally, I'm assuming if I changed from CCB to steel, I'd need to change the pad material as well, is that true?

Regards,
Matt

(THIS IS THEIR REPLY)
Matt,Thanks for getting in touch, actually just recently developed rotors for the CCM cars. If you can shoot me over you Vin if you can so I can double check the part numbers and get back to you with details on everything.

Thanks!

Mike Owen
Girodisc Racing Brakes
3886 Hammer Dr.
Bellingham, WA 98226
Office: 360-306-3263 ext. 103
Fax: 360-306-3264

I've since supplied my vin to them - just awaiting their reply.

Old 04-29-2020, 05:39 AM

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts
2021 GLC63 AMG
CCB's

I reached out to Giro Disc a couple weeks ago too, good people. Mike is a car nut like most of us. I've been to their facility, I live nearby. 1st class operation.
I'm also waiting on a reply back.

Last edited by dufferdude; 04-29-2020 at 05:42 AM.
Old 04-29-2020, 04:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
M3
Originally Posted by e65
I went from iron to ccb. I have the oem/original steel rotors, pads, red calipers etc from 2014 e63s. i was thinking of putting on sale
Where did you source the parts and what was the cost? Did you do the conversion yourself?
Old 04-29-2020, 08:46 PM
e65

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
2014 E63 S model
It was done by GAD. They used OEM Mercedes parts, dealer pricing.

Last edited by e65; 04-29-2020 at 08:49 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Carbon ceramic brake downgrade