GLE43 Coupe (C292) 2016 - Present (Includes GLE450 Coupe)
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

MY GLE Coupe is Horrible in the snow. Help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-14-2018, 08:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 Lexus GS, 2016 GLE450 on order
MY GLE Coupe is Horrible in the snow. Help!

Hi everyone, picked up my GLE Coupe 450 in July of 2016. Special Ordered with the 22" wheel option in NY and waited about 3 months for the July delivery. This is my first time coming to complain about these tires. I'm on the east coast, so why would MB pair this car with summer tires? Was that a mistake on their part by selling me tires that could not stand up to east cost weather? This car has been very dangerous to drive in snow. A simple snow covering would have me slipping and sliding, almost running into cars. At this point I don't even drive it on snow or ice. Would I be able to complain to MB about this? The car is a lease. I mean, these tires are such crap that you could feel slippage when your making a turn and have the wheels turned all the way in either direction. This has been the worst car I've ever driven in the snow.

Any suggestions on what I can do, outside of buying all season or snow tires for a car that's a lease? Thanks in advance.
Old 01-14-2018, 09:04 PM

Received 131 Likes on 114 Posts
AMG GLE43 Coupe
Originally Posted by Gainzz
Hi everyone, picked up my GLE Coupe 450 in July of 2016. Special Ordered with the 22" wheel option in NY and waited about 3 months for the July delivery. This is my first time coming to complain about these tires. I'm on the east coast, so why would MB pair this car with summer tires? Was that a mistake on their part by selling me tires that could not stand up to east cost weather? This car has been very dangerous to drive in snow. A simple snow covering would have me slipping and sliding, almost running into cars. At this point I don't even drive it on snow or ice. Would I be able to complain to MB about this? The car is a lease. I mean, these tires are such crap that you could feel slippage when your making a turn and have the wheels turned all the way in either direction. This has been the worst car I've ever driven in the snow.

Any suggestions on what I can do, outside of buying all season or snow tires for a car that's a lease? Thanks in advance.
Well, first we should clarify something. It's not your car that's horrible in the snow. It's your tires. You didn't realize those were "summer" tires when you leased the car? Did you not investigate which tires came with which rims? Did the salesperson encourage you to upgrade to the summer tires? MB didn't pair the car with those tires. You did. That's why they are an option. That's kind of like living in Texas and buying a used car, knowing it has a broken A/C, and then complaining that it's too hot in the cabin. I don't mean to be harsh, but you have to accept responsibility for making an uninformed decision.

Compared to summer tires, all-season and winter tires have increased stopping distances. All-season tires also perform more poorly in the rain. My point is, there is no one tire that performs best in ALL types of weather. They each have their strong points and specific uses. I knew the 22" wheels came with summer tires. But then I also knew we don't get snow where I live, so it wasn't a real issue.

To answer your question, no, at this point there's not much you can do short of switching out the tires. I guess you could use chains in heavy snow, but they won't work in light snow or icy conditions. Summer tires are not even recommended in temperatures below 40 degrees. The rubber compound can become brittle and even crack in extreme temperatures.
Old 01-14-2018, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by GLE43_Sube
Well, first we should clarify something. It's not your car that's horrible in the snow. It's your tires. You didn't realize those were "summer" tires when you leased the car? Did you not investigate which tires came with which rims? Did the salesperson encourage you to upgrade to the summer tires? MB didn't pair the car with those tires. You did. That's why they are an option. That's kind of like living in Texas and buying a used car, knowing it has a broken A/C, and then complaining that it's too hot in the cabin. I don't mean to be harsh, but you have to accept responsibility for making an uninformed decision.

Compared to summer tires, all-season and winter tires have increased stopping distances. All-season tires also perform more poorly in the rain. My point is, there is no one tire that performs best in ALL types of weather. They each have their strong points and specific uses. I knew the 22" wheels came with summer tires. But then I also knew we don't get snow where I live, so it wasn't a real issue.

To answer your question, no, at this point there's not much you can do short of switching out the tires. I guess you could use chains in heavy snow, but they won't work in light snow or icy conditions. Summer tires are not even recommended in temperatures below 40 degrees. The rubber compound can become brittle and even crack in extreme temperatures.
Sat with salesperson and he didn't disclose what tires it would come with, and neither did I ask. Guess that could be my fault, and could be attributed that I'm an easy going guy that just goes in with idea of what I want and just buy it. Got the car in summer and this didn't become a problem until winter time. In my opinion, these tires aren't even that great in summer. I wouldn't recommend them.
Old 01-14-2018, 09:59 PM

Received 131 Likes on 114 Posts
AMG GLE43 Coupe
Sat with salesperson and he didn't disclose what tires it would come with, and neither did I ask. Guess that could be my fault, and could be attributed that I'm an easy going guy that just goes in with idea of what I want and just buy it. Got the car in summer and this didn't become a problem until winter time. In my opinion, these tires aren't even that great in summer. I wouldn't recommend them.
Conti's or Pirelli's?
Old 01-14-2018, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by GLE43_Sube
Conti's or Pirelli's?
Pirelli 22"
Old 01-15-2018, 01:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
This is your 2nd Winter with your Coupe - correct ?

I would say you have stated it well - time for a new set of tires - what you choose is up to you !
Old 01-15-2018, 08:51 AM

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
'17 AMG GLE 43
Winter tires are a hassle, but so are winter coats, gloves, hats, and winter shoes.
My sales guy was very clear when I ordered AMG wheels that they were coming with summer tires.
Even for NY, all season tires are joke. Tire Rack sells rims and winter tires, buy them and see how good any car/SUV can be in the snow/ice/below freezing.
You will have to go down in rim size, so make sure to get the proper size tire to match overall tire diameter, but okay/better to go with decreased width for better show traction.

I picked up a nice set of 20" take-offs on eBay ($1050) and went with 4 265/50R-20 YOKOHAMA ICEGUARD ($680). Also from Amazon TPMS ($165).

GLE with proper winter shoes drives circles around SUVs on all season tires or clueless on summer tires. You change shoes for the season, you should change tires too. All season tires are a very iffy compromise, not great at anything, not good in snow. It is both snow and the cold (below 40) that degrade summer tires to the point of dangerous as you are finding out.
Old 11-10-2018, 02:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLE 63 S
GLE 63 S

well I drive 63S and bought pirrellis scorpion ICE 21” and still fish tailing and still can’t stop and still wipe out. Just tooo much power I think for these roads. Getting pretty tired of this non sense. Tried putting sand bags in the back n still same BS. Don’t think these SUVs r meant for Canadian winters of -30C and 5 months of snow/ice.
Old 11-10-2018, 06:42 PM

Received 139 Likes on 124 Posts
2015 ML350, 2021 BMW X3, 1991 190E
Does you car have setting for Sport, comfort , etc.(play around with these setting to see if it is any difference especially when starting off from stop) If so get out of the Sport mode for sure. On some cars when you select a non performance options it actually starts off in 2nd gear. Just a suggestion
Old 11-17-2018, 09:18 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2021 AMG GLC63S Coupe, 2020 GLE 450
I also have the 22” with perellis. I live in South Dakota end I knew going into it that I had to get winter rims and tires. I purchased mine on tire rack. With winter tires on, my gle coupe performs awesome in the snow.
Also, yes the perellis do suck. But they are pretty sticky. I wish that I could find some pilot sport cups that fit the wide rear rims..
Old 11-17-2018, 09:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 150 Likes on 128 Posts
2019 Dune Silver Metallic E-450 Mercedes Cabriolet NEW Mercedes 2020 GLC300 graphite gray SUV
Get some winter Blizzaks from Tire rack. Problem solved. Best winter tire out there.
Old 11-17-2018, 12:01 PM

GLE 63 S
Originally Posted by nbukrey
I also have the 22” with perellis. I live in South Dakota end I knew going into it that I had to get winter rims and tires. I purchased mine on tire rack. With winter tires on, my gle coupe performs awesome in the snow.
Also, yes the perellis do suck. But they are pretty sticky. I wish that I could find some pilot sport cups that fit the wide rear rims..
AMG 63S coupe or just GLE? Huge diff

Last edited by Kstar; 11-17-2018 at 12:11 PM.
Old 11-17-2018, 12:02 PM

GLE 63 S
Originally Posted by rustybear3
Get some winter Blizzaks from Tire rack. Problem solved. Best winter tire out there.
true but don’t make 21” to fit AMG rims
Old 11-17-2018, 01:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 150 Likes on 128 Posts
2019 Dune Silver Metallic E-450 Mercedes Cabriolet NEW Mercedes 2020 GLC300 graphite gray SUV
Originally Posted by Kstar

true but don’t make 21” to fit AMG rims

YOKOHAMA then.

Last edited by rustybear3; 11-17-2018 at 01:20 PM.
Old 11-17-2018, 01:37 PM

GLE 63 S
Originally Posted by rustybear3
YOKOHAMA then.
thank for the info
Old 12-02-2018, 03:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1991 300CE
I went with 21s. OZ Dakar's with 265/45/21 Pirelli Scorpion Winters. These are for GLE43, so a little in-board fitting on the rear for the GLE43 Coupe, but looks great.
Attached Thumbnails MY GLE Coupe is Horrible in the snow. Help!-photo311.jpg  

Last edited by CTE55AMG; 12-02-2018 at 06:10 PM.
Old 12-02-2018, 03:35 PM

GLE 63 S
Originally Posted by CTE55AMG
I went with 21s. OZ Dakar's with 265/45/21 Pirellis. These are for GLE43, so a little onboard on the rear for the GLE43 Coupe, but looks great.

hawt
Old 12-02-2018, 06:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Most 22 owners have had decent results going with front-size All-Season's for both front and rear - sure the rear will look narrower but for snow that's not a bad thing - manuf keep whispering correct size rear All-Season's "will be released soon" - but haven't seen them yet - Yoko's are the preferred choice since they are not a full arm/leg..
Old 12-16-2018, 11:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1991 300CE
I went with the GLE43 SUV sizes, 21x9 all around with a 25mm spacer on the rear. Very happy with the set-up. 265/45/21 Pirelli Scorpion Winters. I also lowered the GLE with the lowering module, it's on Low setting now.
Attached Thumbnails MY GLE Coupe is Horrible in the snow. Help!-photo993.jpg   MY GLE Coupe is Horrible in the snow. Help!-photo873.jpg