Coupe/Roadster
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Before You Buy a Car Out-of-State Consider the Lemon Laws

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-13-2018, 11:48 AM

Received 660 Likes on 347 Posts
2020 GTA; 2022 Audi e-tron GT, 2022 Ford F-150; 1926 Rolls-Royce Springfield 40/50 Playboy roadster

California buyers should beware of buying a new car out of state. California's very strong lemon law will not protect you. On a new car with high performance parts or new technology lemon law protection should be considered as important as insurance. You probably won't need it, but if you do it's good to have.
Old 01-13-2018, 12:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 949 Likes on 570 Posts
‘24 BMW iX M60
Originally Posted by MalibuScott
California buyers should beware of buying a new car out of state. California's very strong lemon law will not protect you. On a new car with high performance parts or new technology lemon law protection should be considered as important as insurance. You probably won't need it, but if you do it's good to have.
Are you 100% certain that the CA ‘Lemon Law’ wouldn’t protect an owner simply because the car was purchased out of state? It seems to me that the law should apply to the owner’s address, not the specifics of where the car was purchased.

What happens to an owner of any vehicle that buys a new car and then 3 months later gets transferred to CA? You’re saying the state says ‘too bad’, there’s no recourse for you here? Makes no sense and seems discriminatory tbh.

Vic?

Bish
Old 01-13-2018, 12:22 PM

2020 GTA; 2022 Audi e-tron GT, 2022 Ford F-150; 1926 Rolls-Royce Springfield 40/50 Playboy roadster
Originally Posted by thebishman

Are you 100% certain that the CA ‘Lemon Law’ wouldn’t protect an owner simply because the car was purchased out of state? It seems to me that the law should apply to the owner’s address, not the specifics of where the car was purchased.

What happens to an owner of any vehicle that buys a new car and then 3 months later gets transferred to CA? You’re saying the state says ‘too bad’, there’s no recourse for you here? Makes no sense and seems discriminatory tbh.

Vic?

Bish
I'm 100% certain.

Cummins, Inc. v. Superior Court (***) (2005) 36 Cal.4th 478, 483. The very first paragraph of the opinion tells the story:

The Song-Beverly Consumer Warranty Act (hereafter sometimes referred to as the Act), Civil Code section 1791 et seq., provides that if a manufacturer or its representative in this state fails to repair a new motor vehicle to conform to any express warranty after a reasonable number of attempts to repair, the manufacturer must replace the vehicle or pay restitution. (§1793.2, subd. (d)(2).) The question presented in this case is whether a buyer who resides in California may bring suit against a manufacturer under the Act when the buyer purchased the vehicle in another state, but brought the vehicle for repair to the manufacturer's authorized repair facility in California, and repeated attempts to repair the vehicle proved unsuccessful. We conclude that the Act does not apply unless the vehicle was purchased in California.
The following 2 users liked this post by MalibuScott:
California John (01-13-2018), thebishman (01-13-2018)
Old 01-13-2018, 12:29 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 373 Likes on 292 Posts
Yea i think it's the state you buy in.. Im not sure what California is... Maryland you have to have 3 dealer fixes for the same thing (major component.. not a speaker..), 4th times needs to be a replacement...also if it spends a certain amount of time in the shop within the 1st 15 months ( it's really been taht long since)... Again, Mercedes does well with a trade assist before any lemon law kicks in.. I had to do a CLA250 2 years ago and a long while ago on a E cab..
Old 01-13-2018, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by susman@eurogermantown.com
Hopefully wont be an issue Our Maryland lemon law is pretty good though... I have only had two cars since 2010 with multiple issues.. and I will say MBUSA stepped in before any such laws were needed
That was then. This is now. MBUSA no longer gets involved in negotiating Lemon Law buy back claims, believe it or not. Mercedes Benz now assigns such claims to a third party vendor. I recently handled a buyback of an E63 for a neighbor and MBUSA used Stericycle Expert Solutions as its "transfer agent" (Mercedes' words). The buyback check (for about 92% of the original purchase price plus my attorney's fees) came from "Impartial Services Group, LLC" written on its "MBUSA Escrow Account." The name on the check says it all: MBUSA tries to insulate itself from the buy back process and claims it acted in bad faith by hiring an entity which itself has a division claiming to be "impartial."

This buy back was for a car that had been purchased 3 years earlier. California's Lemon Law's stiff buy back provisions protects vehicles for the full term of the new car warranty. Most states limit the length of buy back protection. For a car that is going to be lightly driven (and probably depreciate rapidly) long term buy back protection is even more important.

As to your specific point, Maryland's lemon law is better than many other states, but not as good as California. Maryland's law applies to new or leased motor vehicles (including cars, light trucks and motorcycles), registered in that state, that are less than 24 months old and have been driven less than 18,000 miles. I don't know if Maryland's lemon law protects a purchaser who bought the car in Maryland but then registered it in another state. It's possible (I haven't done the research) that such a purchaser will be without any lemon law protection altogether.

My point remains the best advice: California residents should not buy new cars outside of the state of California.

Last edited by MalibuScott; 01-13-2018 at 12:40 PM.
The following users liked this post:
thebishman (01-13-2018)
Old 01-13-2018, 03:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 694 Likes on 528 Posts
R Nine T
That was then. This is now. MBUSA no longer gets involved in negotiating Lemon Law buy back claims, believe it or not. Mercedes Benz now assigns such claims to a third party vendor. I recently handled a buyback of an E63 for a neighbor and MBUSA used Stericycle Expert Solutions as its "transfer agent" (Mercedes' words). The buyback check (for about 92% of the original purchase price plus my attorney's fees) came from "Impartial Services Group, LLC" written on its "MBUSA Escrow Account." The name on the check says it all: MBUSA tries to insulate itself from the buy back process and claims it acted in bad faith by hiring an entity which itself has a division claiming to be "impartial."

This buy back was for a car that had been purchased 3 years earlier. California's Lemon Law's stiff buy back provisions protects vehicles for the full term of the new car warranty. Most states limit the length of buy back protection. For a car that is going to be lightly driven (and probably depreciate rapidly) long term buy back protection is even more important.

As to your specific point, Maryland's lemon law is better than many other states, but not as good as California. Maryland's law applies to new or leased motor vehicles (including cars, light trucks and motorcycles), registered in that state, that are less than 24 months old and have been driven less than 18,000 miles. I don't know if Maryland's lemon law protects a purchaser who bought the car in Maryland but then registered it in another state. It's possible (I haven't done the research) that such a purchaser will be without any lemon law protection altogether.

My point remains the best advice: California residents should not buy new cars outside of the state of California.
you mean acted in good faith right ?

Old 01-13-2018, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by AMG 17GT

you mean acted in good faith right ?

No. It's written correctly.

". . . insulate itself from claims . . . it acted in bad faith . . ." Note the connective "and."
Old 01-13-2018, 03:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 694 Likes on 528 Posts
R Nine T
No. It's written correctly.

". . . insulate itself from claims . . . it acted in bad faith . . ." Note the connective "and."
“MBUSA tries to insulate itself from the buyback process and claims it acted in bad faith”, reads as MBUSA is saying they are acting in bad faith.

Damn lawyers lol.
Old 01-13-2018, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by AMG 17GT

“MBUSA tries to insulate itself from the buyback process and claims it acted in bad faith”, reads as MBUSA is saying they are acting in bad faith.

Damn lawyers lol.
Thanks for your post. I see where the ambiguity could arise. But there was no comma between "process" and "and."

The purchaser of the motorhome in the Cummins case tried to ague a similar ambiguity. The California Lemon Law applies, as it is written, to "Every manufacturer of consumer goods sold in this state and for which the manufacturer has made an express warranty." The law imposes obligations on the manufacturer, such as that it have repair locations to fix the consumer goods. Cars are considered "consumer goods" and the buyers of motor vehicles have additional protections including buy back protection.

Does the phrase "sold in this state" mean the statute applies only to vehicles sold in California, or does it mean that if the manufacturer has sold motor vehicles in California generally, then the consumer protection laws apply in favor of buyers located in California and against the manufacturer no matter where the vehicle was sold. It's a fair question that the statute can be read either way. So we call that kind of a statute "ambiguous." But for the lack of a comma I can see that what I wrote could also be considered ambiguous.
AMG 17GT (01-14-2018)
Old 01-13-2018, 07:29 PM

Well I hope since I bought my car in OH and it’s registered in KS I don’t have any major issues! lol

Currently everything seems fine although I do have one hell of a rattle somewhere on the passenger’s side of the dash that is worse in this cold weather.

Anyone else having any early ‘issues’?

Bish
Bish

Your rights are somewhat problematic. I am not a Kansas lawyer, but according to the Kansas Lemon Law statute, Title 50, chapter 6, section 645 (a)(2), a vehicle protected by the law is defined as "a new motor vehicle which is sold or leased in this state." That sounds a lot more clear than the ambiguous California statute. It would therefore not apply to a vehicle bought in another state. Perhaps there are other statutory provisions or case law that have extended Kansas' protections. (In Kansas it appears to be only for 12 months. Likewise, most states are between 12 and 24 months with an additional limit of 18,000 miles. In California it's for the length of the new car warranty.)

I hope you don't have any problems that can't be promptly fixed!
Old 01-13-2018, 08:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 536 Likes on 335 Posts
2024 AMG G63
Bish:

Scott may be able to confirm this but IF you had to LL your car couldn’t you return it to the out of state selling dealer and do it under their law? There doesn’t seem to be a residency requirement in the LL.

Regards.
Old 01-13-2018, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by JSwan724
Bish:

Scott may be able to confirm this but IF you had to LL your car couldn’t you return it to the out of state selling dealer and do it under their law? There doesn’t seem to be a residency requirement in the LL.

Regards.

A good question. I don't know the answer. But take the following example:

You buy your car in North Dakota. You register it in New Hampshire (one of the tax avoidance states) in the name of your Delaware LLC. You garage it in California where you have it serviced. Two days after buying the car you have a problem with the brakes. It takes 2 days to fix it and the problem goes away. Before the brake problem you put 100 miles on the car. After you've driven it 22,000 miles, 25 months later, that serious problem with the brakes occurs again. You bring it to the dealer 5 times but can't get it fixed satisfactorily. The car is in the shop for 35 days.

You'd be entitled to a buy back in California if you bought the car in California. If it was the same brake problem you could probably negotiate a buy back based on your initial purchase price, the taxes on that purchase price (between 9 & 9.5% in California) and one year's registration fees, minus a charge for usage based on a useful life of the car (under the California statute) of 120,000 miles. You'd get everything back on a $110,000 total cost purchase minus usage based on 100 miles divided by 120,000 miles ($91.67 of usage, so $109,908.33). But you can't use the California Lemon Laws. And the dealer to whom you take the car for service isn't liable. Would the manufacturer have to do the buy back? If so, based on the law of what state? And if it was a state with a limit on the buy back (18,000 miles or one or two years), you're SOL.

Buy backs are rare, but not as rare as you'd think.* And if you've got a lemon a buy back can be very important to you.

Bottom line is, the best rule is to buy the car from the dealer in the state you're in. If you find an out-of-state car, get a local dealer to trade for it and sell or lease it to you.

*Since 1990 I've lemoned three cars of my own, a 1991 500SL, a 2006 BMW 650i convertible and a 2010 BMW 535 GT.

Last edited by MalibuScott; 01-13-2018 at 09:47 PM.
Old 01-13-2018, 10:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘24 BMW iX M60
Originally Posted by JSwan724
Bish:

Regards.
Only problem with this is that I’d then have to go through the whole process of the purchasing state’s LL. For example: I have a major issue that my local KS dealership can’t fix. This has taken me multiple trips to the dealer and significant time. I then, because I can’t LL the car in KS, have to get it back to my selling dealer in OH where I then have to go through the whole OH LL process, which at a minimum probably consists of three attempts to fix the same defect and a minimum of 30 days of non-usage. It’s just not practical.

MalibuScott makes a great point: try and get a local dealer to obtain the vehicle for you whenever possible if you find the car you love out of state.
Old 01-14-2018, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by susman@eurogermantown.com
Maybe I should start a new thread lol..

Maryland has a good lemon law.. How did this thread turn into this? Haha..
This thread has devolved into a Lemon Law thread because there are a lot of people on here from California, the state with the strongest Lemon Laws, who are buying or being asked to buy from out-of-state dealers. And while the car is the same (a 50-state car), the rights that go with it are not.

Every out-of-state purchaser should therefore know what he’s getting into. That’s also true of out-of-state buyers from other states. The initial question is whether they’ll have any Lemon Law protection at all.

And Maryland’s Lemon Law appears to be run of the mill. I have no idea if that law would apply in the event of a purchase by someone from out-of-state who has the vehicle serviced outside of Maryland.

Sorry to hijack your thread but the information is relevant, timely and important. Any buyer who ventures out to buy a car from a dealer in another state should know what he's getting. And what he's not getting. Don't you agree?
thebishman (01-14-2018)
Old 01-14-2018, 10:26 PM

Thanks to Vic55 for moving the posts over to this thread. (Why isn't he Vic63?)

Last edited by MalibuScott; 01-14-2018 at 11:12 PM.
Old 01-14-2018, 10:32 PM
Administrator

Received 795 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
Ill be moving the posts now, the dialogue is in order so it should read well. Please use this particular thread to discuss all issues. Thanks MalibuScott for your intel on this very important subject.

Because of the dating of the posts, they will supercede the OP's initial opening post for this thread but you all get the picture here.

Last edited by Vic55; 01-15-2018 at 01:02 AM.
MalibuScott (01-14-2018)
Old 01-15-2018, 01:01 AM
Administrator

2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
Thanks to Vic55 for moving the posts over to this thread. (Why isn't he Vic63?)
At last someone asks:

... when I met the original owners of this website back in 2000 I had a W210 E55. I joined once it was set up and the 55 nomenclature was adopted. Over the years as the engines changed, my user name did not and I just left it. Im Vic55 in many forums: Benz, BMW, Audi, Porsche, Lambo, Ferrari... so I am forever linked by my first AMG, a silver E55 that was an amazing normally aspirated beast with 349hp (the most for a sedan at that time until the venerable E39 M5 came out- I had that too).

And Im also grateful to forums like this because it really got me started with Benz and then on to BMW and Porsche plus other nameplates. I love the forums and the members as I am always a member first, the peers here are what keeps me and others informed.
Old 01-15-2018, 10:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘24 BMW iX M60
Originally Posted by Vic55
At last someone asks:

... when I met the original owners of this website back in 2000 I had a W210 E55. I joined once it was set up and the 55 nomenclature was adopted. Over the years as the engines changed, my user name did not and I just left it. Im Vic55 in many forums: Benz, BMW, Audi, Porsche, Lambo, Ferrari... so I am forever linked by my first AMG, a silver E55 that was an amazing normally aspirated beast with 349hp (the most for a sedan at that time until the venerable E39 M5 came out- I had that too).

And Im also grateful to forums like this because it really got me started with Benz and then on to BMW and Porsche plus other nameplates. I love the forums and the members as I am always a member first, the peers here are what keeps me and others informed.
I’m probably one of the only ones here who know how you came upon your user name here and on other sites Vic. I also had a silver E55 although mine was a ‘99. What a revelation they were back then. A fast, comfortable, well handling sedan that sounded great. You should have seen the looks on the faces of startled 911 drivers on track when some ******* in a big Benz sedan came blasting by! Classic! lol. Guess what I bought afterwards? Yep, an E39 M5; yet another fantastic car.

Bish
Old 01-15-2018, 10:59 AM

My first AMG was a non turbo CL55 which I bought in 2001. It was a special order and I was told it was at the VPC on September 11, 2001. Of course I wasn't thinking about the car on that date. Picked it up several days later while we were all still shell shocked.

My first Merc was a 1971 280 SL that I bought during Easter break 1971 at WI Simonson in Santa Monica. After I bought it I drove it across the country until I graduated from law school, thence back to Southern California. I put 15,000 miles on that car in 4 months and then sold it.
Old 01-15-2018, 11:47 AM
Administrator

Please keep this thread on track or Ill have to move the posts to a new thread "What did we first drive when we joined"

LOLOLOL I joke I joke

Free bump!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-15-2018, 12:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘24 BMW iX M60
Please keep this thread on track or Ill have to move the posts to a new thread "What did we first drive when we joined"

LOLOLOL I joke I joke

Free bump!!!!!!!!!!!
Doh! I bloody did it again. Sorry old friend.

Bish
Old 01-15-2018, 12:33 PM
Administrator

Doh! I bloody did it again. Sorry old friend.

Bish
Nah no ones fault here, Im guilty too---- Its a fine line when threads go off tangent as to if they should be altered. Almost always a thread will slightly derail or completely fall off the tracks but then get back on. The only issue with that thread was it was Sponsor based.

So in the spirit of this thread I will say this; Ive bought 31 new cars in 10 years from in state and out of state. And while I should have done some LL research I didnt knowing I had the factory warranty behind it and I just dont like to approach my purchase experience that way. This may be odd to some but I like the research, acquistion and negotiation process, obviously not as much as the owneship time but If Im afraid or go in half empty I just will probably back out pre purchase.

In almost 18 years of new car purchases (over 40) I have had zero lemons. Did I beat the odds? I have no clue. Im happy.
thebishman (01-15-2018)
Old 01-15-2018, 12:54 PM

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
2017 AMG GT
Don't most people try and buy a car locally first, and then only when availability or huge differences in price come in to play, start looking in other cities and other states????
Old 01-15-2018, 01:05 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by guynamedsean
Don't most people try and buy a car locally first, and then only when availability or huge differences in price come in to play, start looking in other cities and other states????
Not when its at the price point that we consider. These are not commodity units per se and just sitting on every lot exactly optioned as you want. Your mileage may vary but when I was shopping for my GTS, Ferraris, Bentley, Lambo, and few choice Benzes and Bimmers, I looked out of state equally. Market conditions and demand can really swing a deal tens of thousands of dollars if you shop outside of your market. A great example is some of the early adopter buyers on GTR's who paid 40 to 50k over msrp but could have bought the car out of state for maybe MSRP or 5k over; huge difference in dollars.

Obviously when I was looking for my M4 I went locally as there were quite a few on the ground but when I wanted my ED1 I looked at Ohio, Texas, and my home state.
Old 01-15-2018, 01:16 PM

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
2017 AMG GT
Not when its at the price point that we consider. These are not commodity units per se and just sitting on every lot exactly optioned as you want. Your mileage may vary but when I was shopping for my GTS, Ferraris, Bentley, Lambo, and few choice Benzes and Bimmers, I looked out of state equally. Market conditions and demand can really swing a deal tens of thousands of dollars if you shop outside of your market. A great example is some of the early adopter buyers on GTR's who paid 40 to 50k over msrp but could have bought the car out of state for maybe MSRP or 5k over; huge difference in dollars.

Obviously when I was looking for my M4 I went locally as there were quite a few on the ground but when I wanted my ED1 I looked at Ohio, Texas, and my home state.

Yes! I totally agree. That's why I said when availability and price come into play, people look outside their state. There are great deals to be had in states like Ohio.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Before You Buy a Car Out-of-State Consider the Lemon Laws