C450/C43 AMG
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Warranty-friendly performance mods?

Old 01-17-2018, 02:55 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C43 AMG Coupe
Warranty-friendly performance mods?

Hey all, I LOVE my c43 coupe... but at times I wish I could give it a bit of a boost in power. Are there any performance mods out there that WONT affect the warranty?
Old 01-17-2018, 03:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 283 Likes on 194 Posts
2021 Mercedes C63s AMG Coupe
Okay, I will try to answer this properly as this question is asked way too often and I do realize there is not one answer for it. Here is what I know about it:

Any of the full tunes will 100 percent void your warranty if you need any big repairs or if mercedes just randomly decides to dive into it, going through the warranty voiding experience myself, I know exactly how mercedes finds it. I will do a write up soon on it. First thing they will check if the seal is broken during tuning, which no tuner currently is capable of doing without breaking it, meaning most of the time they do not even need to go further than that.

Coming to piggyback's, you will always get away with medium sized repairs, like sensor and wiring harness issues but again for any big part damage like transmission and turbo, don't expect Mercedes to honor it ***** nilly, not because they can't but because they want to know what caused the failure for future R&D. Also remember, there are multiple modules in the car that logs peak values recorded which can be be later read. So for example, you blow the turbo, then if you take it to mercedes, they will look into the logs and see the logged pressure values. But what a lot of tuners will tell you is that the piggy back unit is fooling the ECU to think everything is hunky dory, keeping everything within safe parameters while it does it, so it should appear normal. Actually that is not the case, the piggyback is fooling the ECU into requesting more boost, but what is not considered is that there are 2 pages full of other parameters that the car recorded as well. Mercedes can correlate and analyze the additional requested boost to the other parameters in that given moment and would know right away that the requested boost is too high in a given condition. This can also happen because of a faulty O2 sensor for example, but Mercedes can simply test that 02 sensor to verify its readings and if that is line, then they know right away you have a piggyback.

You can always go for piggy back tuners that does provide warranty like Dinan who will 100 percent honor the claim if it is because of the tune, but that still does not save you from flagging your car if you go in for a big item repair as Dinan pays for the repair to be done at a Mercedes dealer.

The one and only way to keep your warranty and still tune the car is this: get a second brand new ECU. This is not easy as the new Mercedes ECUs are considered a TRP (Theft Related Parts), so you would need a dealer's authorization for ordering it. You cannot use second hand used ECUs from junk yards either for the w205 platform because they still do not have virgin files for our ECUs. So the only option is to have a local third party shop that is in very good terms with the Mercedes Parts department order a brand new ECU for you. Then you need a local third party shop that can do online SCN coding, a few are available in US and Canada, not everyone has access to it. Once that is done, you have two ECU linked to your car with identical files. Keep the original one safe and tune the other one. If something breaks, put the old one back in and go in for the repair, to my knowledge not even the engineers in amg headquarter have any means of proving otherwise.
The following 5 users liked this post by munis:
angelas111 (01-18-2018), Dieseldan9 (01-17-2018), jevsays (07-06-2019), PaulE550 (01-17-2018), unr1 (01-17-2018)
Old 01-17-2018, 08:21 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
'17 C43 Coupe
Originally Posted by munis
Any of the full tunes will 100 percent void your warranty if you need any big repairs or if mercedes just randomly decides to dive into it, going through the warranty voiding experience myself, I know exactly how mercedes finds it. I will do a write up soon on it. First thing they will check if the seal is broken during tuning, which no tuner currently is capable of doing without breaking it, meaning most of the time they do not even need to go further than that.
That's not entirely true. The Magnuson-Moss warranty act prevents dealers from denying warranty claims because of modifications (if the modifications were found to be unrelated to the issue). Mercedes would have to definitively prove that your tune caused whatever issue arose with your car. It is illegal for Mercedes (or any car manufacturer) to void your warranty entirely because they found out you have a tune. They, however, have the right to refuse any repairs that were proven to be caused by your tune. There is a big difference.
Old 01-17-2018, 08:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts
2016 C450 AMG

Actually that is not the case, the piggyback is fooling the ECU into requesting more boost, but what is not considered is that there are 2 pages full of other parameters that the car recorded as well. Mercedes can correlate and analyze the additional requested boost to the other parameters in that given moment and would know right away that the requested boost is too high in a given condition. This can also happen because of a faulty O2 sensor for example, but Mercedes can simply test that 02 sensor to verify its readings and if that is line, then they know right away you have a piggyback.
I can believe everything you've stated in your original post (especially about an ECU reflash) BUT this statement. The dealership may have a gut feeling you've used a piggy-back, but can't prove it 100% if it's not connected (and you haven't admitted to anything). It's their job to prove whatever you might have done caused the failure, and as long as you haven't incriminated yourself (left the piggy-back on for the dealership to see), it would be a tough for the dealership to prove without a doubt you've used a piggy-back tune.
Old 01-17-2018, 09:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by aggies15
That's not entirely true. The Magnuson-Moss warranty act prevents dealers from denying warranty claims because of modifications (if the modifications were found to be unrelated to the issue). Mercedes would have to definitively prove that your tune caused whatever issue arose with your car. It is illegal for Mercedes (or any car manufacturer) to void your warranty entirely because they found out you have a tune. They, however, have the right to refuse any repairs that were proven to be caused by your tune. There is a big difference.
I should have mentioned that I am in Canada where the magnusson moss does not apply. In my case Mercedes found out I had a full ECU tune and issued me a letter stating my powertrain warranty for any parts directly affected by the modification is voided, which is pretty much everything to do with the engine, it would not be hard to blame a turbo or transmission blowout on the tune. Small Powertrain repairs and any issues with the car except powertrain I think will still be honored.

The main issue with warranty is not the warranty support itself however, parts are not the most expensive, like with tuning these engines, the major components that will mostly like go first is the turbo or the tranny which wouldn't make you a broke to repair. Tuning is something where you pay to play, so replacing a turbo or tranny isnt the end of the world.

The main problem is with trading the car or a returning a leased car once the car is flagged. Once the car is flagged in the system, returning the car or trading it in will be extremely difficult. To the point Mercedes might refuse to take it back period. Atleast that is what my understanding is in my experience. If you guys know otherwise please do share.
Old 01-17-2018, 09:54 AM

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts
2015 E550 Coupe
Originally Posted by MASSC450
I can believe everything you've stated in your original post (especially about an ECU reflash) BUT this statement. The dealership may have a gut feeling you've used a piggy-back, but can't prove it 100% if it's not connected (and you haven't admitted to anything). It's their job to prove whatever you might have done caused the failure, and as long as you haven't incriminated yourself (left the piggy-back on for the dealership to see), it would be a tough for the dealership to prove without a doubt you've used a piggy-back tune.
Just a quick couple of questions. Could MB not simply correlate all the captured log data at time of turbo failure, as everything is likely date and time stamped, and compare it against other instances of known piggy-back usage that they have undoubtedly found over the years and, in all likelihood, have stored in some historical database they preserve just for just this sort of thing? If they can then demonstrate the data logged is consistent with previous known instances of piggy-back usage that led to past turbo failures, wouldn't that be sufficient to deny a warranty claim for a big ticket repair? After all, piggy-backs all basically function pretty much the same way to achieve additional power, so the data patterns logged would be consistent and look quite different from the standard logged data of a purely stock vehicle. I just would think someone at MB corporate would have realized a long time ago, that collecting and storing this type of data to avoid the expense of costly warranty repairs, due to what MB considers illegal mods of their product, would make a lot of sense.
Old 01-17-2018, 10:37 AM

Received 85 Likes on 73 Posts
2017 C43 AMG Cabriolet Black/Cranberry Red
yes and no. The MB dealership isn't a court of law, and they can really do whatever they want. You can take them to court and tie up thousands of dollars, time and be without a car to fight it but they can easily say it's the piggy back and ask you to pay for the repair/service at the time of diagnosis.
Old 01-17-2018, 11:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by PaulE550
Just a quick couple of questions. Could MB not simply correlate all the captured log data at time of turbo failure, as everything is likely date and time stamped, and compare it against other instances of known piggy-back usage that they have undoubtedly found over the years and, in all likelihood, have stored in some historical database they preserve just for just this sort of thing? If they can then demonstrate the data logged is consistent with previous known instances of piggy-back usage that led to past turbo failures, wouldn't that be sufficient to deny a warranty claim for a big ticket repair? After all, piggy-backs all basically function pretty much the same way to achieve additional power, so the data patterns logged would be consistent and look quite different from the standard logged data of a purely stock vehicle. I just would think someone at MB corporate would have realized a long time ago, that collecting and storing this type of data to avoid the expense of costly warranty repairs, due to what MB considers illegal mods of their product, would make a lot of sense.
You are absolutely right and that is exactly how they do it. If they need data from previous tuners, I do not know, but they can absolutely correlate the engine data from the current logs to the logs they had during the R&D of this particular engine. They will have gigabytes of logs on the engine and the engineers at headquarters know exactly what's up. They know exactly how much boost the car should be producing in a given condition (temperature, air moisture, humidity, air flow etc.) and all that is recorded.
Old 01-17-2018, 11:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C450 AMG
Originally Posted by PaulE550

Do you honestly think a dealership is going to go through these strides, for lets say a blown turbo, trying to prove a customer might have used a piggy-back tune...one that has only been around for about a year? I highly doubt it.

I doubt it even more if said owner was in their 40 - 60s, a repeat customer, no prior similar incidents, and the vehicle showed no sign of track use.
Old 01-17-2018, 11:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Do you honestly think a dealership is going to go through these strides, for lets say a blown turbo, trying to prove a customer might have used a piggy-back tune...one that has only been around for about a year? I highly doubt it.

I doubt it even more if said owner was in their 40 - 60s, a repeat customer, no prior similar incidents, and the vehicle showed no sign of track use.

I didn't even have blown turbos or any major component fail but the lengths to which Mercedes went to prove I was tuned was nothing short of astounding. This entire check if I was tuned or not was triggered by me simply asking for the latest ECU update nothing else. The entire ordreal was huge and it will take me a while to write, that is why I am not posting it. I will write it whole when I get a chance.
Old 01-17-2018, 11:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C450 AMG
Originally Posted by threefirs

yes and no. The MB dealership isn't a court of law, and they can really do whatever they want. You can take them to court and tie up thousands of dollars, time and be without a car to fight it but they can easily say it's the piggy back and ask you to pay for the repair/service at the time of diagnosis.
A dealership cannot void a car's warranty (only MB can do that), but they can "decline" to perform service...making up whatever bu11$h1t story they want to justify denying the work. And I can just go to another dealership that is more hungry for warranty work.

You people can split hairs all you want over the issue of running a piggy-back tune, but in the real world, as long as the piggy-back is not present, it will be extremely hard for the dealership to prove you were running one.
Old 01-17-2018, 11:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C450 AMG

I didn't even have blown turbos or any major component fail but the lengths to which Mercedes went to prove I was tuned was nothing short of astounding.
Really? You said you had your ECU reflashed...how hard is that to detect? Extremely easy...that's how hard.

Old 01-17-2018, 11:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Really? You said you had your ECU reflashed...how hard is that to detect? Extremely easy...that's how hard.

I will write about it haha. It was easily detected, yes. But they went to great lengths to PROVE it.
Old 01-17-2018, 12:02 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
2017 AMG C43, AWE Touring, BMC Air Filters- 2015 BMW X3 3.5i (JB1 Equipped)

Yes I agree and don't forget dealerships make huge money on warranty work from Mercedes Benz, so why would they want to finger someone or even look deeper into an issue. The dealership makes money off the labor & parts of the repair, why would they want to try and C**ck block that?

I have had several modified vehicles in my life and dealers where ignorant to that fact, they never knew anything out of the ordinary was going on. I used SCT Tuners in the past on Ford products and when the vehicle went in for service or repair I would just flash the ECU back to stock. Never had a problem.

Unless it is absolutely blatant like having a full MSD ignition on a vehicle under warranty or bringing it in for service with a computer re-flash- they should not care. I have had several stock vehicles with complex engine problems, that I brought to many dealers and they did not even take the time to properly diagnose it- I eventually found the problem out myself by using web boards and doing my own investigation. I was blown away that these dealerships could not find what was a common and known problem on these particular engines. They didn't even analyze any data, just had the mechanics take it for a test drive and they stated everything was ok- when it clearly was not.

So I don't know why people think dealers have the time to scrutinize data logs and other parameters. Of course there is always the chance you can get caught, but in my opinion it has to be a blatant red flag.

I am not fully versed on the tunes that are out there but from what I have read on this board, the big three tunes OE, Euro and AMR stay somewhat on the safe side so you won't destroy a transmission or blow a turbo.

Last edited by Lazz83; 01-17-2018 at 12:06 PM.
Old 01-17-2018, 12:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C450 AMG

I will write about it haha. It was easily detected, yes. But they went to great lengths to PROVE it.
I'm not questioning what happened in your case, but I highly doubt the dealership or MB would go through such lengths trying to prove a piggy-back tune was used, especially when it was removed prior to taking the vehicle to the dealership.

It's much easier to build a case when an ECU has been modified...for sure...
Old 01-17-2018, 12:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 c63
has a point here

Originally Posted by aggies15
solid response!
Old 01-17-2018, 12:31 PM
Former Member

Received 94 Likes on 89 Posts
CLS
And, legally correct. Causal connection and burden of proof is on Mercedes.
Old 01-17-2018, 01:25 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
C43 Cab
I'm not questioning what happened in your case, but I highly doubt the dealership or MB would go through such lengths trying to prove a piggy-back tune was used, especially when it was removed prior to taking the vehicle to the dealership.

It's much easier to build a case when an ECU has been modified...for sure...
the dealer probably would not in their own, but I have read that MB and specifically AMG engineers have gotten involved when there is a major component failure. The dealership needs to get warranty work approved and if you blow turbos or transmission it is natural for MB/AMG to understand why they had a comment failure.

I have a tune, but I understand the risks. I do not think it is fair to people considering a tune, even a piggyback tune, to give the perception that they are totally safe from having it impact their warranty when there is a lot of info out there stating the contrary.

Yes, the burden might be on MB to prove the tune responsible for the failure, but the cost of taking MB to court, will got most people make this prohibitive and there is a good chance you will lose if it is a drive train problem and after all I do not think MB is going to pursue this if you have a failed headlight or AC unit.
The following 2 users liked this post by DRLC43:
munis (01-17-2018), threefirs (01-17-2018)
Old 01-17-2018, 01:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by DRLC43

the dealer probably would not in their own, but I have read that MB and specifically AMG engineers have gotten involved when there is a major component failure. The dealership needs to get warranty work approved and if you blow turbos or transmission it is natural for MB/AMG to understand why they had a comment failure.

I have a tune, but I understand the risks. I do not think it is fair to people considering a tune, even a piggyback tune, to give the perception that they are totally safe from having it impact their warranty when there is a lot of info out there stating the contrary.

Yes, the burden might be on MB to prove the tune responsible for the failure, but the cost of taking MB to court, will got most people make this prohibitive and there is a good chance you will lose if it is a drive train problem and after all I do not think MB is going to pursue this if you have a failed headlight or AC unit.
Couldn't have worded it better.
Old 01-17-2018, 02:00 PM

This, 100%. Sure, you might get away with it. But it's very misleading and unfair to tell people looking into a tune that they're completely safe with a piggy.
Old 01-17-2018, 02:13 PM
Former Member

CLS

magnusson provides for attorneys fees to consumers, and there are plenty of trial lawyers willing to sue Mercedes.
Old 01-17-2018, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by CFG

magnusson provides for attorneys fees to consumers, and there are plenty of trial lawyers willing to sue Mercedes.
Sounds logical. So while you're going to court for 5 years, the car will sit with a blown motor, and when the lease expires, MB will be happy to send you a 70K invoice for the damage to the vehicle. All while, you're in the wrong for running a tune on your vehicle. Smart guy you are!
Old 01-17-2018, 02:37 PM
Former Member

CLS
Originally Posted by threefirs
Sounds logical. So while you're going to court for 5 years, the car will sit with a blown motor, and when the lease expires, MB will be happy to send you a 70K invoice for the damage to the vehicle. All while, you're in the wrong for running a tune on your vehicle. Smart guy you are!
nearly every U.S. jurisdiction provides for a case schedule order and trial in one year. Nearly every U.S. jurisdiction provides for punitive damages. A consumer’s conconurrent remedy is to seek to avoid ANY underlying contract under Magnuson or SUSPEND performance pending the outcome. I advocate nothing, and as for being in the wrong, that’s why Magnuson exists: there MUST be a proven causal connection else the manufacturer is going to suffer punitive damages.

So, know what you are talking about before letting fly. I defended scores of manufacturers in similar cases and juries usually find against manufacturers, find punitive damages for consumers, and pro-manufacturer experts are hard to find, expensive and seldom believed.

Sum: consumers have MEANINGFUL remedies in the U.S., and manufacturers fear them.

Try not to let your **** overload your mouth.
Old 01-17-2018, 05:10 PM

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts
2015 E550 Coupe

Thanks for your response, While I agree with you that most dealerships probably don't care one way or the other what caused the problem, as long as MB corporate reimburses them for the costs of any warranty repair. I guess it all comes down to how serious MB corporate is about trying to discourage mods of their product and how much pressure they put on their dealerships to try and discourage it. Again, for small stuff like a blown turbo, it is probably not worth their time and effort. However, for something running more than say high four figures or low five figures, it might be. Depends on what current MB corporate policy is related to threshold cost of a warranty repair in order to trigger certain mandatory actions by the dealership.

Just as an FYI, the process I laid out wouldn't be very intensive for the dealership to do. All their service guys would need to do is plug the car into their on-line diagnostic system and all the ECU and data logs can be uploaded to whomever at MB corporate does this type of analysis. That is the extent of the effort expended by the local dealership's service department. Once the data is at MB, the whole data analysis / comparison process shouldn't take more than one to two hours tops, as their systems are just looking for anomalies from standard performance data for the engine / vehicle type relative to the data logs. Only if the ECU data versus all the log component log data doesn't match, which it wouldn't if someone had a piggy-back attached at time of component failure, would anyone from MB corporate do further data analysis against the historical database to confirm it matched. That is another automated comparative analysis process. So just wanted to let you know that it is not as onerous as you may think. Again, thanks for your reply.
Old 01-17-2018, 05:51 PM

Received 176 Likes on 104 Posts
2020 GLC 63
You can always go for piggy back tuners that does provide warranty like Dinan who will 100 percent honor the claim if it is because of the tune, but that still does not save you from flagging your car if you go in for a big item repair as Dinan pays for the repair to be done at a Mercedes dealer.
My son got his car tuned by a Dinan-owned company, they had a 30-day-trial "money back guarantee". Long story short, 2 weeks into the tune, we decided to go back to stock and get our money back. They had no problem flashing it back to stock and "we'll send you a refund check by mail"........ 5 months later, a dozen of emails and 20 long/hold phone calls, we got our money back minus "labor". While it wasn't a lot of money, I just can't imagine filing a blown turbo or engine claim with them or any of the other "tuners" for that matter. Good luck having any of them honor a claim, after you prove their tune caused a failure.

Thank, but I'll take my chances with a piggyback and MB

Last edited by 18bora; 01-17-2018 at 06:00 PM.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average.

Quick Reply: Warranty-friendly performance mods?