Anyone tried this OBD2 Lowering Module?

Old 02-27-2018, 11:10 PM

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
2016 CLS550 4Matic
Anyone tried this OBD2 Lowering Module?

Has anyone even heard of this before? It seems too good to be true.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/282861752179?ViewItem=&item=282861752179

EDIT: So I purchased one of these recently and thought I would write my full review here. I ordered through the Ebay link above and when the seller found out I was in Canada, he offered to have is Canadian partner send me one. I think they are on the other side of the country, but it still got here in a few days.

The device is super small and compact and plugs into the OBDII port under the dash.

The device is as pictured here (although mine is blue). It plugs into the OBD Port and provides a menu on your COMAND screen allowing you to lower the ride height or return it to stock.

The menu system is straight-forward and simple

On my C218 2016 CLS550, I don't have a touch pad as shown in the video so you navigate using the numeric keypad on the head unit... 2 and 8 are up and down, 4 and 6 are left and right, and 5 is enter. Very straight forward.

The device comes with three options for ride-height:
- Factory
- Low (-32mm)
- Custom (you set the front and rear drop yourself)

There are two menu options:
1. The current setting applied and the setting you want to apply (one of: Factory/Low/Custom)
2. The ride height settings for the custom option (Front drop and Rear drop)

I wanted a drop of about 20mm so I started with a custom setting of -15/-15 and that wasn't enough for me. I ultimately settled on -25 front and -20 rear to get the ride height dialled that I like. This gave me a ride height about 20mm lower than factory. Note that it's not accurate to the mm. I suggest you lower it on a very flat surface and use a yard stick held up to the fender aligned with the wheel hub to measure before/after height. Here's what I found using different custom settings:

Front Left Factory: 690mm (ground to fender on my yardstick)
With Custom -15mm = 677mm (actual drop of 13mm)
With Custom -20mm = 675mm (actual drop of 15mm)
With Custom -25mm = 670 (actual drop of 20mm)

When I asked the seller about the slight discrepancy, he aptly pointed out that the system is only accurate to +/-5mm due to a variety of factors at play in the system, so you may have to play with your custom setting if you're as picky as I am.

I found I had to dial in a -25 setting to get my desired 20mm drop on the front, but only -20mm to get an actual 20mm drop on the rear. You may have to experiment similarly.

The beauty is that this system is so easy to adjust. You can dial in new settings in about 30 seconds and see the results instantly.

The bottom line: This system really does make any other lowering option for Airmatic cars look foolish in comparison. No mechanical work, no wiring, it really couldn't be easier to change settings, or revert to stock any time. I wish all my previous cars had been this easy and affordable to lower.

Feel free to contact the seller for more info. I've exchanged several emails with him and he's a great guy based in Eastern Europe.. He's invested a lot of effort into this product and it shows. He deserves every dollar he makes from this. It's a great device.

Here's how you use it:
- Turn the ignition ON but not the engine
- Insert the device into the OBD port
- The menu will appear on the screen
- Select one of the preconfigured settings or set your own custom setting
- Apply the setting (it will take a few seconds for it to write this to the car)
- Remove the device
- Turn off the ignition
- The next time you start the car (even immediately) it will adjust to the new ride height.

You can have it in whatever mode you want when you start (sport or comfort).

The Sport and Comfort button still works as expected. Sport is still about 10mm lower than Comfort. I will actually use the comfort setting more often now when I have others in the car.

Here's some quick photos of the 20mm drop on my car with my new Rohana RC10 20" wheels (245/35 front, 285/30 rear)...

Front

Rear

Front

Rear

Let me know if you have any questions, and I'll do my best to answer.

Last edited by VirtualRain; 03-24-2018 at 10:01 PM.
The following 7 users liked this post by VirtualRain:
Adi-Benz (03-02-2021), BigApe (08-29-2018), cl500 probs (04-09-2021), dark_cls550 (10-21-2020), Gasmiser2000 (04-06-2018), GT532 (04-20-2020), Tony Salib (04-04-2018) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-27-2018, 11:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
RRS Supercharged and CLS550 (W218)
I can't speak for the one in the link but I do I have something similar for my range rover sport...plugs into the OBD port and you make the adjustments on the screen...works like a charm. I'm sure this thing is legit.
Old 02-28-2018, 12:52 AM

2016 CLS550 4Matic
Originally Posted by rrsupercharged
I can't speak for the one in the link but I do I have something similar for my range rover sport...plugs into the OBD port and you make the adjustments on the screen...works like a charm. I'm sure this thing is legit.
Do you know how they work? e.g. what it's doing exactly?

I get that Star changes the calibration values, links fool the height sensors into thinking the car is higher than it is, and inline lowering modules intercept and change the voltage signals from the ride height sensors, but it's hard for me to understand how this might work.
Old 03-01-2018, 01:45 AM

It reprograms the height values in the onboard computer like you would with STAR for the MB's. Just FYI...the one I own for my rover is VIN specific and cannot be used on any other vehicle other than my own. I wasn't aware that there was one available for the MB's. I'm tempted to give this one a try. Maybe someone that own's one can chime in.
Old 03-01-2018, 02:49 AM

2016 CLS550 4Matic
It reprograms the height values in the onboard computer like you would with STAR for the MB's. Just FYI...the one I own for my rover is VIN specific and cannot be used on any other vehicle other than my own. I wasn't aware that there was one available for the MB's. I'm tempted to give this one a try. Maybe someone that own's one can chime in.
Given how fussy the Star process is, I’m surprised this can do it that way. And display a user interface on the Command Screen for Settings as well. It’s hard to believe. There is a thread in the W222 forum where a guy there says he bought one and it performs as advertised. I’ll probably order one and see.
Old 03-01-2018, 11:39 AM

Please keep us posted with your results if you decide to order one.
Old 03-02-2018, 01:40 PM

2016 CLS550 4Matic
Please keep us posted with your results if you decide to order one.
I have ordered one. I'll definitely post a review here after I get it.
Old 03-06-2018, 12:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
CLS550 4Matic
Ordered one today too. Seems like it will takea while for shipping but if this works it will be great. I parked my CLS for about 2 weeks and noticed the front had completely dropped. Looked a lot nicer that way.

I believe our cars are a little too high. On my C-300 the front is nice and flush so im trying to accomplish that drop with the CLS too. Fingers crossed
Old 03-06-2018, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by Clkboi
Ordered one today too. Seems like it will take a while for shipping but if this works it will be great. I parked my CLS for about 2 weeks and noticed the front had completely dropped. Looked a lot nicer that way.

I believe our cars are a little too high. On my C-300 the front is nice and flush so im trying to accomplish that drop with the CLS too. Fingers crossed
I agree...it does sit a bit high even in sports mode. I find it a tad strange that the front of your ride would completely drop within two weeks time but the rear didn't? Did it drop down to the bump stops?
Old 03-06-2018, 07:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS550 4Matic
Quick pic I found on my phone. Didn't notice the rear to drop honestly but I'll take a look again tonight since I haven't used the car for a while...
Attached Thumbnails Anyone tried this OBD2 Lowering Module?-photo74.jpg  
Old 03-07-2018, 11:53 AM

Quick pic I found on my phone. Didn't notice the rear to drop honestly but I'll take a look again tonight since I haven't used the car for a while...
Take a look at it. I would be concerned if only the front dropped and not the rear...may indicate a leak in the front bags.
Old 03-07-2018, 09:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS550 4Matic
Take a look at it. I would be concerned if only the front dropped and not the rear...may indicate a leak in the front bags.
Ok so I just took some more pics.
Car hasn't moved in about 9 days. Front is definitely dropped but the rear seems regular height?
What do you think
Anyone tried this OBD2 Lowering Module?-photo899.jpg
Anyone tried this OBD2 Lowering Module?-photo766.jpg
Anyone tried this OBD2 Lowering Module?-photo390.jpg
Old 03-12-2018, 07:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS550 4Matic
Anyone got this in yet? Mine is still in international waters...
Old 03-13-2018, 06:14 AM

2016 CLS550 4Matic
Anyone got this in yet? Mine is still in international waters...
I received mine but had to fly out on a business trip so won’t have a chance to try it until next week.
Old 03-13-2018, 04:59 PM

Waiting patiently for the results...
Old 03-13-2018, 06:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS550 4Matic
Originally Posted by VirtualRain
I received mine but had to fly out on a business trip so won’t have a chance to try it until next week.
Awesome glad you got it at least! Who else purchased one or is it just us 2?

Also, how hard would it be to copy the program on this? I would be willing to give mine to someone who can do it and either release the software online for all of us or give free copies to who wants it?!
Old 03-13-2018, 07:44 PM

2016 CLS550 4Matic
Awesome glad you got it at least! Who else purchased one or is it just us 2?

Also, how hard would it be to copy the program on this? I would be willing to give mine to someone who can do it and either release the software online for all of us or give free copies to who wants it?!
To each his own, but in exchanging emails with the guy who developed this, I’d say the investment in figuring this out was significant and he deserves every penny he’s charging for it... if it works as advertised. Let’s face it, it’s barely more than a set of links or a Star lowering episode and it has a lot more flexibility with the option to revert to complete stock at any time. It’s way more affordable than other lowering modules with none of the installation hassle. This guy is a genius for figuring this out, and the price is well worth it.

back in the day, I paid more than this for HR lowering springs and now I’m getting more flexibility and virtually zero effort for the same price.

As as you can see, I think this is well worth the asking price. In fact, it’s appealing at twice the price he’s asking. So let’s count our blessings here.
Old 03-13-2018, 07:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS550 4Matic
Originally Posted by VirtualRain
To each his own, but in exchanging emails with the guy who developed this, I’d say the investment in figuring this out was significant and he deserves every penny he’s charging for it... if it works as advertised. Let’s face it, it’s barely more than a set of links or a Star lowering episode and it has a lot more flexibility with the option to revert to complete stock at any time. It’s way more affordable than other lowering modules with none of the installation hassle. This guy is a genius for figuring this out, and the price is well worth it.

back in the day, I paid more than this for HR lowering springs and now I’m getting more flexibility and virtually zero effort for the same price.

As as you can see, I think this is well worth the asking price. In fact, it’s appealing at twice the price he’s asking. So let’s count our blessings here.
Valid points!
I rest my case.
Old 03-22-2018, 10:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS550 4Matic
Quick update on this. Still nothing.
If anyone orders it see if you can pay extra for faster shipping. EBay is estimating this to get here on May 1 lol and I ordered it on March 8Anyone tried this OBD2 Lowering Module?-photo227.jpg

Last edited by Clkboi; 03-22-2018 at 10:57 PM.
Old 03-23-2018, 02:40 AM

2016 CLS550 4Matic
Quick update on this. Still nothing.
If anyone orders it see if you can pay extra for faster shipping. EBay is estimating this to get here on May 1 lol and I ordered it on March 8Attachment 415983
I ordered mine back a few weeks ago and when the seller saw I was in Canada, he had someone here send me one. It was the other side of the country I think, but still got here in a few days. Apperently he has a partner in Canada. Anyway, due to business travel, I finally got around to playing with it today. I will post my full thoughts on the weekend as I’m still trying different ride heights. It’s not mm accurate, but it is super simple to use and works as advertised in my initial use - I’m going for about 15-25mm of lowering. This thing really is an amazing gadget that enables us to take full control over the ride height of the awesome suspensions in our cars. It makes any other lowering solution I’ve read about look foolish in comparison.

Last edited by VirtualRain; 03-23-2018 at 03:14 AM.
Old 03-23-2018, 08:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS550 4Matic
That's great to hear! Makes me even more exited about receiving it. I'm not really using the car now for another month until I get the exhaust completed so the wait is something I can deal with
Old 03-23-2018, 05:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS550 4Matic
Item has landed in NY as of today so it seems like I will have it home a lot sooner!

Will update when I receive it along with a video.
Old 03-23-2018, 07:40 PM
Banned

Received 57 Likes on 52 Posts
2015 cls550
I spoke with the guy today. Will be ordering one for mine as well Look forward to hearing how well it does or doesn't work.
Old 03-24-2018, 09:59 PM

2016 CLS550 4Matic
I posted my full review in the first post. Let me know if you have any questions.
Old 03-25-2018, 12:28 AM

Thanks for the update VR. Quick question...when you plugged the unit in for the first time, did you have to save your cars factory height setting prior to messing with the custom setting?

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Anyone tried this OBD2 Lowering Module?