GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

wheel juddering

Old 05-11-2018, 03:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLC 250d 2016
wheel juddering

My GLC 250d has wheel juddering at full lock from the very start when I bought it in October 2016. Is Mercedes liable for this issue?
Old 05-11-2018, 03:22 AM

GLC 250d 2016
Has anyone received a positive outcome from MB Australia regarding wheel juddering on GLC 250d? For instance free tyre replacement? As I believe this technical issue does impact tear & wear of tyres.
Old 05-11-2018, 10:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 183 Likes on 150 Posts
GLC 300d 4matic
See other threads on this issue.
Old 05-12-2018, 08:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 151 Likes on 125 Posts
2016 GLC 250d AMG pack, 2017 GLC Coupe 250d AMG pack , 2002 BMW 330Ci convertible, 2021 BMX X1 sD20i
Agree, very thorough discussion on this forum, elsewhere.
MB UK have given new Vredestein Qatrac 5 tyres , all season, to unhappy customers, started Feb 2017.
MB Oz, have replaced tyres on a case by case basis, normally Goodyear All Season, run flats for those with 20” rims, both straight and staggered designs.
you need to have your dealership register a complaint/ claim with MB Oz first.
tyre shortages will impact delays and MB cannot do much, other than send some of their own Goodyear’s supplies to OS.

Old 06-20-2018, 12:10 AM

GLC250
Angry GLC Class WHEEL JUDDERING ON FULL LOCK

I am currently going through this issue with MB. My GLC250 has done 19,000klms and they told me the noise is happening because I need new tyres. I have been to 2 tyre places and they have both told me the tyres I have are fine - there is a real problem with the car though and I should take it back to MB. So I went back - this is my 3rd visit to them. They are acting like they know nothing about it and I think because I am a female they can just brush me off grrrrrrr!!! I have finally got them to "open a case file" with MB Germany. I took a senior technician with me yesterday for a drive in the wet - the same guy who told me I need new tyres and he could not believe the noise it was making and was very interested to see the YouTube clips about it. I told them I did not feel safe driving my car in the rain like this. They told me to take it home and they would get a loan car for me ASAP. Can anyone out there give me some advice on how to deal with this PLEASE!!!!!
Old 06-20-2018, 01:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 GLC 250d AMG pack, 2017 GLC Coupe 250d AMG pack , 2002 BMW 330Ci convertible, 2021 BMX X1 sD20i
Originally Posted by Ally222
I am currently going through this issue with MB. My GLC250 has done 19,000klms and they told me the noise is happening because I need new tyres. I have been to 2 tyre places and they have both told me the tyres I have are fine - there is a real problem with the car though and I should take it back to MB. So I went back - this is my 3rd visit to them. They are acting like they know nothing about it and I think because I am a female they can just brush me off grrrrrrr!!! I have finally got them to "open a case file" with MB Germany. I took a senior technician with me yesterday for a drive in the wet - the same guy who told me I need new tyres and he could not believe the noise it was making and was very interested to see the YouTube clips about it. I told them I did not feel safe driving my car in the rain like this. They told me to take it home and they would get a loan car for me ASAP. Can anyone out there give me some advice on how to deal with this PLEASE!!!!!
Hi,
Which country are you in, options vary due to tyre availability.
MB in Oz and UK have supported owners with new tyres, mostly All Season types, not summer tyres fitted when delivered.
Look at the other threads, lots of info.
My earlier comments re Goodyear and Vredestein still holds true for 20” at least, both standard and staggered sizes.
Not sure re 19”, think Vredestein.
For 21” Continental ‘Star” * marked tyres, optimised for BMW and Rolls Royce have fixed significantly issue, but only avail in sizes for front, not rear - so make sure brand and tyre pattern same for front and rears to maximise safety and computer response for braking, traction control, etc.
Also check tyre pressures, run them around 36psi for best performance and ride.
Do you have steel coils suspension or air suspension ?
Let us know how you go.
Cheers
The following users liked this post:
Ally222 (06-20-2018)
Old 06-20-2018, 04:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 301 Likes on 190 Posts
GLC 450
As Teckno says, let us know your location and I'm sjure you will get the relevant advice. If you add your location to your profile it will help with any future queries, the answers can be different for different markets.

Let us know what tyres are fitted to your car, that will help with the answer.
Ally222 (06-20-2018)
Old 06-20-2018, 04:43 AM

GLC250
Angry

Originally Posted by Teckno

Hi,
Which country are you in, options vary due to tyre availability.
MB in Oz and UK have supported owners with new tyres, mostly All Season types, not summer tyres fitted when delivered.
Look at the other threads, lots of info.
My earlier comments re Goodyear and Vredestein still holds true for 20” at least, both standard and staggered sizes.
Not sure re 19”, think Vredestein.
For 21” Continental ‘Star” * marked tyres, optimised for BMW and Rolls Royce have fixed significantly issue, but only avail in sizes for front, not rear - so make sure brand and tyre pattern same for front and rears to maximise safety and computer response for braking, traction control, etc.
Also check tyre pressures, run them around 36psi for best performance and ride.
Do you have steel coils suspension or air suspension ?
Let us know how you go.
Cheers
Hi and thanks for getting back to me. I am in Australia. I'm not sure about the suspension, the tyres currently on it are Bridgestone 255/45R20 101W RFT.
Old 06-20-2018, 05:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hi and thanks for getting back to me. I am in Australia. I'm not sure about the suspension, the tyres currently on it are Bridgestone 255/45R20 101W RFT.
MB in Oz are replacing tyres for clients.
Tyre size is part issue, Tyre availablity is also critical.
Ask for their solution - Goodyear All season tyres, detailed info in other threads, are the current MB solution for Oz.
They have replaced my Pirelli tyres with Goodyears and the Michelin on Coupe with Goodyears as well.
They are a 90-95% solution.
Travelled at least 10,000kn on new Goodyears and still very good.
Mercedes are importing their own supply of Goodyears I think, as Goodyear HQ in Melb had none in the system last March, with several month wait for delivery from overseas.
Let me know how you get on. PM me if you wish to discuss further, happy to try and assist.
Cheers
Ally222 (06-20-2018)
Old 06-20-2018, 05:15 AM

GLC250
Thank you so so much for your help. It is very frustrating, but I do feel I am finally getting somewhere. They told me they would open a "case file" today and took photos of my tyres.
Old 06-20-2018, 06:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thank you so so much for your help. It is very frustrating, but I do feel I am finally getting somewhere. They told me they would open a "case file" today and took photos of my tyres.
It’s a pleasure, others have helped me in the past here, everyone has each other’s interest at heart.
I forgot to mention, have the dealership provide free wheel alignment (worth around $190 to $270) and get a print out of before and after wheel and suspension settings, this is very important as MB are continuing to change the default settings to try and minimise juddering and outer edge tyre wear, especially to front left tyre. It gives you a hisory and allows some independence if you have it done at a non dealer later.
Once tyres changed, rotate them and have wheel align done every 10-12000km to ensure good tyre wear and longer tyre life, it helps a lot, depending on your travel distances, that might be each annual service.
Check tyre pressures when you get the car back, some set too low at 30psi and others too high at 42psi, try and have a cold psi set at 36. If you have to drive 2-5 km to servo, set pressures at 38 or 39psi to allow for heat build up, that way cold will revert back to around 36. If too hard after driving for a while start reducing by 1 psi. Too low however will impact on Tyre wear, poorer braking distance and higher fuel usage, minor though.
Cheers
Old 06-20-2018, 07:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 301 Likes on 190 Posts
GLC 450
I wouldn't be impressed with your dealer Ally, it has been an issue with right hand drive GLC'S since its release and ALL dealers will be aware. Hope it gets sorted for you as it spoils what is a great car