C63/C63S AMG
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking to buy a used C63, C63s or M4. Advice?

Old 05-19-2018, 02:01 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
E63
Smile Looking to buy a used C63, C63s or M4. Advice?

Hey everybody,

I have been lurking on the forums for a while but finally made an account to post. As the title suggests, I am looking to buy either a C63/C63s Coupe (W205/C205 – new shape basically) or a BMW M4. The reason for my post is I just wanted some advice.
Disclaimer: I am leaning more towards the C63 rather than the M4 but I mentioned it just for full transparency

I am not looking to spend more than £40-45k on the car. I will be buying straight up (so no part x or lease) as the way I see it is the car will depreciate and I can’t justify spending £60k+ on a new car, especially when I can get a new-ish one for much cheaper. Finance options don’t seem that appealing either, especially with interest rates etc (also, I don’t like the idea of getting a loan on a car, but I digress).

Here are some of the issues I am having:

1)
There is a clear price difference between the C63 and C63s (generally of £10k+). I have seen a lot of posts in this forum and others stating that most people opted for the C63s because the difference in price when leasing new was negligible, especially when adding optional extras to the standard C63. Is the C63s worth the price difference? I plan on keeping the car a good 5 years so this is a semi-long term car for me.

2) Further to the point above, I plan on making this car a little project/toy. This car will NOT be a daily drive. My current daily drive is a 15’ 335d with M performance body parts, red dakota interior, carbon fibre trim & alcantara dash. My DD is one of the reasons why I didn’t want to go for the M4. I want to get a C63 that I can body kit; add some front splitters, side skirts, spoilers, rear diffusers etc. for a more aerodynamic feel. I may decide to tune it, but this will be at a much later date as this will be the first car I would tune and I’m worried about notifying insurers, voiding warranty (if still valid) so I’d like to research the pros and cons first. Even if I didn’t tune the car and just added a body kit, is there much of a difference between the C63 or C63s in this regard?

3) Currently, the cheapest C63 coupe is sitting at around £43k. The cheapest C63s is approx. £52k (prices from AutoTrader). I am looking to purchase this car either September 2018, early 2019 or maybe even next summer. By then, I’m sure prices will have dropped even more. Do you guys think there will be a consistent price difference between the C63 and C63s or will the prices level out? Basically, if I am buying used, is it better to wait a bit longer?
* I apologise for the change in font - not sure what happened there?*

Thanks for reading. Note, I haven’t test driven either the C63 or the M4 (and I do intend to do this as part of my decision making). Either way, the C63 is still what I’m looking at. Because this is a car I plan to keep for a while, I want to make the right decision first. The C63s has red brake calipers standard, different seats and I know about the upgraded brakes, different differentials and race mode. Are all these worth the extra cost?

Thanks!
Old 05-19-2018, 02:35 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
2018 C63S Sedan
Just my take on it.... drove the M3, S4, S3 and sitting in a Alfa Guilia Quad was enough, no need to drive it. At least in the USA the way they vary the option prices between the 63 and 63S can make the difference far less, depending on how you option the car. For me, I know that if I went with the 63 I would still be wanting an S, so I went S in the first place. For me, I'm retired so it is my toy too. Presently have no desire to add body parts or tune, but can see wider rear rubber on the sedan is called for, maybe front too. When I get lots closer to the end of warranty may consider a Dinan Tune or similar although adding more power might be nothing more than adding more unusable power to the already unusable power. This thing gets going lightning fast like right now, and it's just a little touch of the gas at restricted rpm's still in the break-in period.
Old 05-19-2018, 02:36 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2005 E55 Wagon, 2017 C63S Cab, 1986 560SL
Why not sell the 335? You're duplicating cars. The C63s is a fine commuter car.
Old 05-19-2018, 06:16 PM

Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts
'17 AMG C63S Edition 1 Coupe, '18 AMG C63S Convertible, '19 AMG GLS63
On the looks aspect, an M3/M4 with nice lip etc looks pretty aggressive and appealing. And I'm not a fan of the C63 sedan styling, but I LOVE the C63 Coupe body styling. Ditto on the interior. The M3/M4 interior feels...mechanical to me. The C63 Coupe interior: lovely. IMO. So it's really an issue of personal taste in that respect.

I think the biggest two differences that really set the two cars apart are:
1) Engine:
- V8 in the C63. Only car in its class that kept the V8. This also lends itself to a much more pleasing exhaust note
- Exhaust tuning: AMG is masterful in this. Nuff said.

2) Style of driving:
- The M3/M4 is a surgeon's scalpel. Very precise.
- The C63 is more of a chainsaw. It's literally a german muscle car. It'll do anything you want it to...with a little sideways action and a LOT of attitude. Endless smiles guaranteed.

Having said that, the only real difference between the "S" and non-S models is the increased top speed, which you can get with an aftermarket tune, and (at least in the US) a substantial ($1895) discount to any US offered AMG Driving Academy course. Otherwise, the S and non-S models are essentially the same.

Last edited by FDNewbie; 05-19-2018 at 06:21 PM.
Old 05-19-2018, 06:18 PM

E63
Thanks for the reply. I am steering towards the C63s as well, purely because I want to buy the best car I can for the money
Old 05-19-2018, 06:25 PM

E63
Originally Posted by tscales
Why not sell the 335? You're duplicating cars. The C63s is a fine commuter car.
The reason I don't want to sell the 335d is because I work in a fairly mediocre part of London. I park my car in a public car park with no real option to park elsewhere. During the 2 years I have been working there, the 335 has been scratched, scraped, sh*t on by birds and become completely filthy by surrounding trees

The other reason is because I bought the car 2 years ago at £30k. It's now probably not worth any more than between £15-17k due to terrible depreciation that plagues 3 series. It makes sense to just keep it. Like I said above, it's not a particularly grand area where I work. Even though you see a lot of mercs, audis and BMWs, you don't see many performance cars like M3/4, RS and C63 etc (and if you do they're always driving past and never stopping). When I'm at work, I want to be able to work without worrying about whether the car will still be there at the end of the day...
Old 05-19-2018, 06:31 PM

E63
Originally Posted by FDNewbie
On the looks aspect, an M3/M4 with nice lip etc looks pretty aggressive and appealing. And I'm not a fan of the C63 sedan styling, but I LOVE the C63 Coupe body styling. Ditto on the interior. The M3/M4 interior feels...mechanical to me. The C63 Coupe interior: lovely. IMO. So it's really an issue of personal taste in that respect.

I think the biggest two differences that really set the two cars apart are:
1) Engine:
- V8 in the C63. Only car in its class that kept the V8. This also lends itself to a much more pleasing exhaust note
- Exhaust tuning: AMG is masterful in this. Nuff said.

2) Style of driving:
- The M3/M4 is a surgeon's scalpel. Very precise.
- The C63 is more of a chainsaw. It's literally a german muscle car. It'll do anything you want it to...with a little sideways action and a LOT of attitude. Endless smiles guaranteed.

Having said that, the only real difference between the "S" and non-S models is the increased top speed, which you can get with an aftermarket tune, and (at least in the US) a substantial ($1895) discount to any US offered AMG Driving Academy course. Otherwise, the S and non-S models are essentially the same.
Thanks for the reply dude. I think I am more than likely going for a C63. If the C63 and C63s are essentially the same, is there really any NOTICABLE difference to the cars when driving? I agree with you on the exhaust note, the C63 sounds like a monster. Is the exhaust note on the C63 the same as the C63s? And does 'Race Mode' in the C63s add any extra driving pleasure / exhaust noise?
Old 05-19-2018, 10:01 PM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Bmw
Originally Posted by Mdotlife

Thanks for the reply dude. I think I am more than likely going for a C63. If the C63 and C63s are essentially the same, is there really any NOTICABLE difference to the cars when driving? I agree with you on the exhaust note, the C63 sounds like a monster. Is the exhaust note on the C63 the same as the C63s? And does 'Race Mode' in the C63s add any extra driving pleasure / exhaust noise?
You really shouldn't thank someone for spreading misinformation. Lol at the comment on the only real difference between s and non s is the top speed.

I was debating between the 63s coupe and the M4 as well. I just can't justify spending $100k CDN with the interior of the M4. Also that fake exhaust note.
Pure performance though, the M4 would be a better choice with more and cheaper mods.

Last edited by Rayc63s; 05-19-2018 at 10:10 PM.
Old 05-19-2018, 10:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 112 Likes on 97 Posts
2016 C63S Sedan

They are NOT the same and to think so is just wrong.
there are several threads with the info and discussion but some of diff are the HP and torque from 469 to 503 so if you don't tune it it is a lot. also the 19 inch wheels with larger brakes. also the dynamic engine mounts and the electronic differential.
You get leather standard. the std C63 does not have race mode and race start. I probably forgot some things but after I priced both ways there was not that much diff and some things you can't add to the std C63.
Old 05-20-2018, 12:08 AM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
c63 Coupe, GLC63
Originally Posted by FDNewbie

Non-S c63 owners (or any non-S AMG car) should be receiving an invite to the AMG academy as well in the US.
Old 05-20-2018, 04:11 AM

E63
Originally Posted by RDOCA
there are several threads with the info and discussion but some of diff are the HP and torque from 469 to 503 so if you don't tune it it is a lot. also the 19 inch wheels with larger brakes. also the dynamic engine mounts and the electronic differential.
You get leather standard. the std C63 does not have race mode and race start. I probably forgot some things but after I priced both ways there was not that much diff and some things you can't add to the std C63.
thanks for the reply. The difference in HP and torque, assuming I didn’t tune the car and left it as is, is there any real world difference to the drive you would receive. I understand it would feel faster but by how much? Non-leather in a 60k car is a big FU to customers IMO so another reason why I might consider the C63s. Also, what benefit does race mode and race start have? Are the exhaust notes the same on both cars?

Reading other posts, some says the s is faster some say they didn’t notice. Equally some said the exhaust note is the same but others said the C63s is louder ?
Old 05-20-2018, 09:24 AM

So yes there are additional differences. I don't think there are many *substantial* differences that you can't opt for/obtain in other ways
- Tune will increase HP/Tq and raise speed limit
- You can get larger wheels (and that's hardly a change in the car; that's an accessory)
- Leather is an available option
- Race Mode is useless. The car is actually slower in Race Mode than it is in Sport+ mode.
- Ceramic brakes are an available option

This has some info: https://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/vehic...e-CPE/type-amg

I'm personally not aware of "S" option-specific dynamic engine mounts and electric diff, so if that's the case, I stand corrected. But the rest of the stuff listed you can't really say is an intrinsic difference in the car. It's a bunch of options available in the non-S version, but packaged in a $8,000 option. I didn't do the math on pricing out larger wheels, the ceramic brakes, leather seats etc etc and to see if it's more cost effective to get the S option or to individually select the options. But again, they're simply options. Hence my point that they're not starkly different platforms.

Originally Posted by Rubpau
Non-S c63 owners (or any non-S AMG car) should be receiving an invite to the AMG academy as well in the US.
To clarify:
- The purchase of any C63 AMG model (and may be any AMG model across the board; not sure) gets you the free Basic course at the AMG Driving Academy.
- To get the $1,895 discount, you have to have the AMG Driver's Package (Option Code 250). That is at an additional cost to the standard C63 AMG, but already included in the cost of the C63S AMG model (not at an additional charge).

Last edited by FDNewbie; 05-20-2018 at 09:33 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Rubpau (05-20-2018)
Old 05-20-2018, 09:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'16 GLE300d
I too am looking for a used sedan C63s. I drove this one on Friday, https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ink=true&Log=0. For us, and our traffic is bad enough that we got to depend heavily on Distronic cruise control. I wasn't expecting this car to have it, and came back and researched the difference between the option groupings between 2016 and 2017. Now I can search a little smarter. Anyway, the car is pretty incredible. A daily driver, that can be used at track day events a few times a year. I think I settled on a 2016 year, as the price point seems better for us. Looking at the Car Fax of many cars, a common service item are wheels and brakes. Curious if many are having wheel issues with potholes, etc. Any advice would be appreciated. Can't wait to get one.
Old 05-20-2018, 09:52 AM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
c63 Coupe, GLC63

This video has an acceleration comparison between the c63 non S and c63s

You can also half-speed the video to pinpoint the minor difference
Old 05-20-2018, 10:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C63S Sedan

thanks for the reply. The difference in HP and torque, assuming I didn’t tune the car and left it as is, is there any real world difference to the drive you would receive. I understand it would feel faster but by how much? Non-leather in a 60k car is a big FU to customers IMO so another reason why I might consider the C63s. Also, what benefit does race mode and race start have? Are the exhaust notes the same on both cars?

Reading other posts, some says the s is faster some say they didn’t notice. Equally some said the exhaust note is the same but others said the C63s is louder ?

I don't mean this to be a pissing match but you should know the plus and minus to evaluate this honestly.
I just configured a S and non S model about what mine was and the non S was $3660 less then the S with the same equipment.
That is as close to the same as possible but this is what you loose and can not add.
1. HP and TQ from 469 to 503
2. Race mode
3. Electronic Differential
4. Dynamic engine mounts
5. Larger brakes--( Ceramic is not available to add)
6. IWC clock

If you think the $3660 is enough savings to miss the 5 items go for it but I didn't.

Last edited by RDOCA; 05-20-2018 at 10:52 AM.
Old 05-20-2018, 10:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 368 Likes on 262 Posts
2017 Porsche 911 C4
I posted this before, so I'll just copy and paste here:

All of this comes from MB's official DOG (dealer ordering guides):

C63S vs. C63:

- Front bumper A-Wing is painted black on the C63S (painted body color on the C63)
- Rear diffuser trim painted matte silver on the C63S (painted gloss black on C63)
- 19'' wheels are standard on C63S with optional staggered 19''/20'' (18'' wheels are standard on C63, with no option to upgrade to staggered 19''/20'')
- 503 HP/516 ft-lb torque standard with C63S (469 HP/479 ft-lb torque standard with C63)
- AMG electronic limited-slip differential standard on C63S (AMG mechanical limited-slip differential on C63)
- Dynamic engine mounts on C63S (not available with standard C63)
- Nappa leather interior with the C63S (C63 comes with MB-Tex/Dinamica interior)
- Natural grain black ash wood trim with IWC clock comes with the C63S (High-gloss black trim without IWC clock is standard on C63)
- AMG Performance Steering Wheel w/DINAMICA inserts and 12 o'clock marking standard on C63S (AMG Performance Steering Wheel in perforated Nappa leather without 12 o'clock marking on C63)
- 6-piston red brake calipers with black lettering, larger diameter 15'4'' floating composite rotors (grey brake calipers with white lettering, smaller 14.2'' standard rotors on C63)
- Optional Carbon Ceramic front brakes only available as an option with the C63S (not offered with C63)
- C63S gets standard silver/red seat belts and door panel inserts (C63 gets black seatbelts and door panel inserts with option to upgrade)
- AMG instrument cluster on C63S gets red bezel around gauges (C63 has no red bezel)
- An additional Race Mode is standard on C63S along with Race Start (not available on C63)

All that for an extra $7600 for the sedan or $8000 for the coupe. If you were to take a C63 and add all the options that comes standard with the C63S (which technically isn't even possible since many of those options aren't even available for spec on a C63), it would cost much more than the 7-8k price difference between a non-S and S.

Just get the S.
The following 3 users liked this post by AlexZTuned:
FDNewbie (05-20-2018), RDOCA (05-20-2018), wow2000 (05-21-2018)
Old 05-20-2018, 12:13 PM

E63
I don't mean this to be a pissing match but you should know the plus and minus to evaluate this honestly.
I just configured a S and non S model about what mine was and the non S was $3660 less then the S with the same equipment.
That is as close to the same as possible but this is what you loose and can not add.
1. HP and TQ from 469 to 503
2. Race mode
3. Electronic Differential
4. Dynamic engine mounts
5. Larger brakes--( Ceramic is not available to add)
6. IWC clock

If you think the $3660 is enough savings to miss the 5 items go for it but I didn't.
I appreciate the info but you need to remember I am buying USED. The C63 is around £43k. The C63s is around £53k. Again, these are USED prices. My question is, “is the 10k difference worth it when buying USED”. The savings of $3660 is not valid, because the difference for me is £10k (approx $13.5k). Used cars have already been configured so I have to look at the amount of money I am actually handing over.
Old 05-20-2018, 12:16 PM

E63
Originally Posted by AlexZTuned
I posted this before, so I'll just copy and paste here:

All of this comes from MB's official DOG (dealer ordering guides):

C63S vs. C63:

- Front bumper A-Wing is painted black on the C63S (painted body color on the C63)
- Rear diffuser trim painted matte silver on the C63S (painted gloss black on C63)
- 19'' wheels are standard on C63S with optional staggered 19''/20'' (18'' wheels are standard on C63, with no option to upgrade to staggered 19''/20'')
- 503 HP/516 ft-lb torque standard with C63S (469 HP/479 ft-lb torque standard with C63)
- AMG electronic limited-slip differential standard on C63S (AMG mechanical limited-slip differential on C63)
- Dynamic engine mounts on C63S (not available with standard C63)
- Nappa leather interior with the C63S (C63 comes with MB-Tex/Dinamica interior)
- Natural grain black ash wood trim with IWC clock comes with the C63S (High-gloss black trim without IWC clock is standard on C63)
- AMG Performance Steering Wheel w/DINAMICA inserts and 12 o'clock marking standard on C63S (AMG Performance Steering Wheel in perforated Nappa leather without 12 o'clock marking on C63)
- 6-piston red brake calipers with black lettering, larger diameter 15'4'' floating composite rotors (grey brake calipers with white lettering, smaller 14.2'' standard rotors on C63)
- Optional Carbon Ceramic front brakes only available as an option with the C63S (not offered with C63)
- C63S gets standard silver/red seat belts and door panel inserts (C63 gets black seatbelts and door panel inserts with option to upgrade)
- AMG instrument cluster on C63S gets red bezel around gauges (C63 has no red bezel)
- An additional Race Mode is standard on C63S along with Race Start (not available on C63)

All that for an extra $7600 for the sedan or $8000 for the coupe. If you were to take a C63 and add all the options that comes standard with the C63S (which technically isn't even possible since many of those options aren't even available for spec on a C63), it would cost much more than the 7-8k price difference between a non-S and S.

Just get the S.
Again, as per the reply to the post above, I am buying used. With the C63 being £43k and the C63s being £53k, the difference in price for me will be £10k (approx $13.5k). Considering these cars will have different specs depending on who configured the new car, in your opinion, is $13.5k worth the difference? (that’s almost double the 7-8k difference you’re quoting)
Old 05-20-2018, 12:39 PM

Thanks for the correction AlexZTuned. I didn't realize that the non-S version wasn't available with ceramic brakes (which are a substantial improvement and very worthwhile IMO).

If you're already planning on making a ton of upgrades to your car, maybe a non-S isn't a bad idea. But if you want it already equipped with a bunch of the stuff you're gonna do anyway (and none of the labor costs as wel), like AlexZTuned said, the S is a no-brainer.
Old 05-20-2018, 12:42 PM

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts
2017 C63S Coupe
One thing I always find funny is that when the S versus non-S comparison comes up, is many chime in with their basically the same if you get a tune. What they always forget to mention is that any reputable tune is $1500 at a minimum plus ECU removal which is extremely difficult, and reinstallation. All I'm saying is that if the S versus non-S comparison, which I realize is not the intent of this thread, is brought up then the person asking must be taking cost into account. Worthwhile tunes are far from cheap, and definitely should play into your equation
Old 05-20-2018, 12:45 PM

True, but if you just wanna get to the S-verion's hp/tq numbers, you can slap on a plug 'n play piggyback that a few of the tuners offer, and there goes your labor cost Having said that, I'm NOT a fan of the piggybacks, and I've heard several times that the computer eventually learns the parameter changes the piggyback applies, decreasing the effectiveness of the piggyback.
Old 05-20-2018, 12:58 PM

E63
Originally Posted by 507AMG
One thing I always find funny is that when the S versus non-S comparison comes up, is many chime in with their basically the same if you get a tune. What they always forget to mention is that any reputable tune is $1500 at a minimum plus ECU removal which is extremely difficult, and reinstallation. All I'm saying is that if the S versus non-S comparison, which I realize is not the intent of this thread, is brought up then the person asking must be taking cost into account. Worthwhile tunes are far from cheap, and definitely should play into your equation
I am indeed taking cost into account. What I should also make clear is that my main priority is adding body kits and aerodynamic mods. Engine tuning is the last thing on my mind. If my level of modification was to remain exclusively to the exterior, is the S worth it? I want the car to be the best I can afford but is the extra $13.4k worth the upgrade to the S? (I’m buying used)

Also, do you know if the exhaust sound is the same for both models? Is one louder than the other?
Old 05-20-2018, 02:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
c63
It’s a great question and I was in a similar situation recently. Not for modding necessarily (although i may meddle soon) more for a daily driver. I would say the extra is worth it if you value the larger rims and sports seats along with the race mode. I would have enjoyed both of these, but my family (particularly the better half) would have found these slightly worse for ride and comfort particularly on longer journeys, so I went for a used c63 for £7k less than a comparable c63s.

I’m not dissapointed, and I also blagged a 1hr experience in a c63s as part of the puchase which was epic, and gave me a chance to compare. No singificant difference in engine note really comparing mode for mode (that are available), but the performance seats do hold you more firmly when throwing it round a track.

I’d say go for the S if you want the race mode, 19” alloys and the seats, that pays the £7-10k difference, but the c63 is still an epic monster of a car, ready to mod up significantly, and a great compromise for a daily, which helps to minimise ‘road noise’ from the wife...
Old 05-20-2018, 02:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C63S Sedan

I am indeed taking cost into account. What I should also make clear is that my main priority is adding body kits and aerodynamic mods. Engine tuning is the last thing on my mind. If my level of modification was to remain exclusively to the exterior, is the S worth it? I want the car to be the best I can afford but is the extra $13.4k worth the upgrade to the S? (I’m buying used)

Also, do you know if the exhaust sound is the same for both models? Is one louder than the other?
Why are you limiting yourself to these 2 cars? Look for more choices and price is of course determined by miles -equipment and condition so keep looking.
Old 05-20-2018, 02:53 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
2016 C63 AMG Wagon
I purchased second hand in the UK and it took a while to get the right car at the right price point. You need to work out your must have options to narrow down the cars and then work out which is the best value for money in your opinion. In the UK you can spec a lot of granular options so it's possible to get a non S with leather, all the driver assists, pano roof, performance exhaust, 19s etc. When I was looking I didn't see many non S with performance seats (I only saw 2) and I never saw the exterior carbon pack on any.
I ended up getting a non S because it had all the options I wanted and like you was 10K cheaper than a similarly optioned S. In the UK market I found there are a lot more non S than there are S models, so they hold a premium for resale.

It's personal choice at the end of the day. Good luck.
This guy bought a non S in the UK and set about personalizing it. Much more attainable (if that's what you're into) when you have an extra 10k in your pocket! https://www.youtube.com/user/supercarsoflondon
The following users liked this post:
Mdotlife (05-22-2018)

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Looking to buy a used C63, C63s or M4. Advice?