E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

03 E500 Front Passenger AirMatic issues

Old 05-21-2018, 01:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E500
Exclamation 03 E500 Front Passenger AirMatic issues

Hopefully I am posting correctly, as this is my first time.
Is it possible for the onboard computer system to register a new set of values for the airmatic suspension? I just replaced my air compressor and it seemingly fixed my issue for a moment. The car began to rise to a normal level then relieved pressure on the front passenger side, then rose again, then relieved pressure again. the compressor runs as normal and cycles off. I have searched all lines and wiring for damage or leaks and found none so far.
The front passenger side is critically low to the point that the wheel will not clear the fender whilst steering the vehicle. Is there a way to reset the system to OEM settings?

Current fault code: 5500 Critical Vehicle level at front axle
Previous Fault code which has not populated again since compressor install: 5507 Suspension Strut is Implausible DTC Status: Stored <- unsure what this means. I think it is cleared?
Current Airmatic Pressure sensor reading = 4.8 Bar
My next move is to switch level sensors up front (driver to passenger and vice versa) to see if the current level values will swap sides or not. Please let me know what your thoughts are here. I am currently stumped. Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 05-22-2018, 11:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 925 Likes on 717 Posts
'99 and '05 E55 AMG
Do NOT switch the level sensors! They are calibrated to the location where they are installed. If you switch them, you will need to recalibrate the suspension.

Could be an air spring with a hole in it that is only exposed when the air spring is inflated and exposes the hole; air leaks out, car drops, sensor signal reports low level, air compressor engages and the distribution block attempts to raise that corner, lather, rinse, repeat. So, I recommend you check the air spring; if it is over 100,000 miles, it can have a hole in it. Rather common if you search the forum on this subject.

Edit: "Stored" means the problem occurred in the past but is not currently active. Without placing it on a STAR or equivalent it's hard to diagnose remotely. With STAR, you can check the values real time. What are you using to diagnose?

Last edited by bbirdwell; 05-22-2018 at 02:44 PM.