C450/C43 AMG
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many miles did your brake pads last?!?!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-17-2018, 03:05 AM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Mercedes AMG GT 2020
How many miles did your brake pads last?!?!

Just went to Mercedes to get my brakes checked out because they keep squeaking, my service advisor tells me that I need new pads with only 6,400 miles on my car. Just wondering how many miles you've had on your car before you replaced the pads.

Last edited by w205_C43; 06-17-2018 at 03:07 AM.
Old 06-17-2018, 06:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C43 AMG Coupe
I just had to replace my rears at 18k which seemed crazy to me. 6k sounds like you have balancing issues or warped rotors
Old 06-17-2018, 09:25 PM

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Saab 900 SET
Originally Posted by Yowlerz
I just had to replace my rears at 18k which seemed crazy to me. 6k sounds like you have balancing issues or warped rotors
Or the pads are made of wood, 6k miles is beyond ridiculous.
Old 06-17-2018, 09:47 PM

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
C43 AMG Coupe
I’m at 15k and don’t expect to need to replace mine for quite some time, 10k miles more I would say (25k total)
Old 06-18-2018, 03:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 274 Likes on 204 Posts
'19 CLS450
I did a visual inspection of my rears last week when I washed and I still have 6-7mm of pad left on the outside pad and I'm at 19,3xx miles. 6400 miles is nuts!
Old 06-18-2018, 03:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 666 Likes on 524 Posts
c
Had over 32k without replacing pads or rotors
Old 06-18-2018, 04:52 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2017 C43. 2006 Ford GT. 2017 Wrangler. 2010 S4
6400 miles is wayyy too early unless you're driving a ferrari or some other supercar, I'd definitely have them take a closer look (or bring it to a different dealer and have them check it out) to figure out what's really going on. I'm assuming you're not slamming on the brakes as hard as you can every time you come to a stop.
Old 06-19-2018, 03:02 AM

Received 87 Likes on 83 Posts
2017 C43 AMG Saloon
If your car has distronic and you use it regularly, anecdotal evidence says this will wear out your brakes quickly. This might be worth looking into...
Old 06-19-2018, 03:18 AM

Mercedes AMG GT 2020
Originally Posted by guhvies
If your car has distronic and you use it regularly, anecdotal evidence says this will wear out your brakes quickly. This might be worth looking into...
That would make sense but, I don't have that package.
Old 06-19-2018, 03:20 AM

Mercedes AMG GT 2020
Originally Posted by 303_AMG
6400 miles is wayyy too early unless you're driving a ferrari or some other supercar, I'd definitely have them take a closer look (or bring it to a different dealer and have them check it out) to figure out what's really going on. I'm assuming you're not slamming on the brakes as hard as you can every time you come to a stop.
I'm not aggressive on my car, I think the service dept is just saying my brakes are squeaking because they need to be replaced but, I know it won't solve it.
Old 06-19-2018, 12:15 PM

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
2016 C450, 2019 E63S
My brakes have squeaked since I got the car in mid 2016, brand new. I was told it's a break-in period, LOL. Kept driving and the problem did not resolve so I came in a few times for it, and they just lubed it up which solves the problem for a few weeks. After 1.5 years of ownership, I came back again for maybe the 4-5th time-out the brakes and they told me that I need them replaced bc of a "lip in the rotor". I said I have 7k or so miles, and I am not paying to fix and issue that was noted a long time ago. So they checked in the system and saw that it said "lip in rotors - recommended to change pads" or so, on one of my old service statements within my first year. So they replaced them for free.

It was fine for the last six months since replacing them but it just started squeaking again recently. I do not track the car nor do I break hard. There must be some factory defect with the build as this is common for this car...

EDIT - I have a C450 (it's essentially the same car), and I have seen MANY threads/posts on here about customers having squeaking breaks or defective breaks with this C450/C43 since the start. DO NOT pay to have them replaced, they should change them for you for free. No one needs changing of brakes at 6k miles... Always keep all records and ALWAYS go in when you first notice an issue. Regarding the comment about Distronic, I have that, but have never even used it.

Last edited by NYC365; 06-19-2018 at 12:20 PM.
Old 06-19-2018, 11:54 PM

Mercedes AMG GT 2020
Originally Posted by NYC365
My brakes have squeaked since I got the car in mid 2016, brand new. I was told it's a break-in period, LOL. Kept driving and the problem did not resolve so I came in a few times for it, and they just lubed it up which solves the problem for a few weeks. After 1.5 years of ownership, I came back again for maybe the 4-5th time-out the brakes and they told me that I need them replaced bc of a "lip in the rotor". I said I have 7k or so miles, and I am not paying to fix and issue that was noted a long time ago. So they checked in the system and saw that it said "lip in rotors - recommended to change pads" or so, on one of my old service statements within my first year. So they replaced them for free.

It was fine for the last six months since replacing them but it just started squeaking again recently. I do not track the car nor do I break hard. There must be some factory defect with the build as this is common for this car...

EDIT - I have a C450 (it's essentially the same car), and I have seen MANY threads/posts on here about customers having squeaking breaks or defective breaks with this C450/C43 since the start. DO NOT pay to have them replaced, they should change them for you for free. No one needs changing of brakes at 6k miles... Always keep all records and ALWAYS go in when you first notice an issue. Regarding the comment about Distronic, I have that, but have never even used it.
I tried talking to my service advisor to cover it under warranty but he's saying "I don't see any cracks or damage to your brakes so it's not covered under warranty."
Old 06-20-2018, 01:07 AM

2016 C450, 2019 E63S
How long have they squeaked for now in total? And how long have they squeaked for before you decided to bring the car in?
They are recommending new brake pads, why exactly? I ask this because you have such low mileage that to say the pads are worn out this early on is almost impossible.
If you're under 1 year and bring it in for the first time regarding that problem, they will not replace it. What they'll do is lube it up or what not, and send you off. IF you come back again regarding that problem within the first year, they'll replace it for free. The reason they replaced mine 1.5 years into ownership is bc they noted the tear on an earlier visit and should've replaced it then.

I would argue it because there really are a good amount of folks out there with this same issue, just a simple search of these forums will demonstrate that. It's a manufacture defect somewhere.

Point is you'll pay (or they'll cover it for you) to replace the brake pads... and then you'll get the same issue again in time. I'm a prime example (didn't pay for replacement though). I guarantee you if I go into the dealership now they'd tell me the same thing - you need new brakes, again. Lol.
Old 06-20-2018, 01:13 AM

2016 C450, 2019 E63S
Originally Posted by w205_C43
I'm not aggressive on my car, I think the service dept is just saying my brakes are squeaking because they need to be replaced but, I know it won't solve it.
Brakes need to be replaced every 40k miles on the low end. Maybe 20k if you have a sports car that you're tracking regularly. You don't track the car nor do you drive aggressively, so it should not and would not happen @ 6.4k. That should be your main argument. Dealing with this issue was such a pain. I remember this back and forth nonsense.
Old 06-20-2018, 01:55 AM

Mercedes AMG GT 2020
Originally Posted by NYC365
How long have they squeaked for now in total? And how long have they squeaked for before you decided to bring the car in?
They are recommending new brake pads, why exactly? I ask this because you have such low mileage that to say the pads are worn out this early on is almost impossible.
If you're under 1 year and bring it in for the first time regarding that problem, they will not replace it. What they'll do is lube it up or what not, and send you off. IF you come back again regarding that problem within the first year, they'll replace it for free. The reason they replaced mine 1.5 years into ownership is bc they noted the tear on an earlier visit and should've replaced it then.

I would argue it because there really are a good amount of folks out there with this same issue, just a simple search of these forums will demonstrate that. It's a manufacture defect somewhere.

Point is you'll pay (or they'll cover it for you) to replace the brake pads... and then you'll get the same issue again in time. I'm a prime example (didn't pay for replacement though). I guarantee you if I go into the dealership now they'd tell me the same thing - you need new brakes, again. Lol.
I've started experiencing squeaky brakes since 3k miles. I should've taken the car long ago but, I kept putting it off. Finally I had to take my car in because my sunroof wouldn't open and I told them to my brakes were squeaking as well in which they replied they'd look at it. They had to replace the railing of my sunroof which they did under warranty but, my service advisor says my pads are at the minimum and need to be replaced. I told him my brakes had to have been defective and there's no way they would've went out. He treplies that he doesn't see any damage or cracks so there's nothing that could done under warranty.

One my friends told me about his cousin who's also been experiencing problems with his C43. His car has been leaking oil, engine has been over heating, and getting error messages. I got in contact with him and found out he had the same issue with his car but around 4,500 miles!!! Another thing I found out was we both service our cars at the SAME dealership, and SAME service advisor.
Old 06-20-2018, 01:56 AM

Mercedes AMG GT 2020
Took my car in 6/8, still impatiently waiting. Currently going through the Mercedes warranty book to try and find something to present the service advisor.

Last edited by w205_C43; 06-20-2018 at 01:58 AM.
Old 06-20-2018, 08:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 666 Likes on 524 Posts
c
escalate to corporate and see if they can aid.
Old 06-20-2018, 09:24 PM

Received 161 Likes on 103 Posts
C450, GLS 63 and a few other things
Took my car in 6/8, still impatiently waiting. Currently going through the Mercedes warranty book to try and find something to present the service advisor.
You have 3 threads about this, so not sure what to use, but I'll ask here again since it is on top.

Did you see the pads? Are they actually low? Did the dash light come on from the sensor (note that only 2 of the 8 pads have sensors, so no light does not guarantee they don't need to be replaced).

Replacing them may fix the squeek, but as we are all saying, if they are actually worn below 2mm at this stage, something is wrong.
Old 06-22-2018, 05:20 AM

Mercedes AMG GT 2020
Originally Posted by z28lt1
You have 3 threads about this, so not sure what to use, but I'll ask here again since it is on top.

Did you see the pads? Are they actually low? Did the dash light come on from the sensor (note that only 2 of the 8 pads have sensors, so no light does not guarantee they don't need to be replaced).

Replacing them may fix the squeek, but as we are all saying, if they are actually worn below 2mm at this stage, something is wrong.
I did not see the pads. There was no light stating the pads be replaced, nor did I feel as if the pads were low. At this point, I feel as if they're charging me for parts that I don't need.
Old 06-22-2018, 09:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 344 Likes on 206 Posts
2017 C43 AMG
mine are at 11800 miles and counting. 2 track days on them. they do squeek when creeping, but meh, performance. they have plenty of meat on them. if yours really are that bad, just buy new pads for $150 for all corners and swap before rotors need replacing.
Old 06-22-2018, 09:54 AM

Received 161 Likes on 103 Posts
C450, GLS 63 and a few other things
I did not see the pads. There was no light stating the pads be replaced, nor did I feel as if the pads were low. At this point, I feel as if they're charging me for parts that I don't need.
Possibly. You can easily see the outer pads through the wheels, take a look and see if they look low. You won't be able to "feel" that they are low, unless they are worn to the metal. Alternatively a number of places will check brakes for free, bring it into somewhere. Or, since the dealer had it, ask them what the thickness of the pads were, and you can make a call from there, and then request they save the old pads so you can double check.

What I'm trying to get at is, if they are replacing the pads because they squeak, that is a personal choice you can make, but probably does not require a pad change. If they are replacing the pads because they are worn low, then your mileage is much lower than normal on these cars and something seems not right (either something wrong with the car, ealership taking you for a ride, or you drive with your foot on the brake pedal).

EDIT: I should add that my process with open wheels that you can reach into like many of the MB wheels, is to put a quarter or half dollar flat against rotor next to the pad. A quarter is a little less than 2 mm, and a half dollar a little more. If this is about the thickness if your pad material, it is time to replace. If you have significantly more than the thickness of the quarter, you are good to do. You can stack a couple to check.

Last edited by z28lt1; 06-22-2018 at 09:58 AM.
Old 07-06-2018, 12:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 274 Likes on 204 Posts
'19 CLS450
So I ordered new front pads and went to replace tonight only to find my front pads at only 6.5mm @ 19,997 miles. Not sure how others are driving to need a replacement at half that mileage. Another 10k before revisiting.
Old 01-08-2021, 03:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2016 C450 AMG
I am at 35k miles and the front need to be replaced. Wear sensor indicator just came on. The rear look ok. I have never had a car need brakes this early. I have see some of the post and am really surprised at the limited mileage some of you got before needing to replace the pads.