W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recipe for high 11’s? (First Post, Go easy on me!)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-22-2018, 03:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E55
Recipe for high 11’s? (First Post, Go easy on me!)

Newb here, car is an 04’ E55 bone stock with 45k on the clock that is now driven daily but will soon see some occasional track duty. Pretty much all maintenance is up to date with the exception of the original Spark plugs. I have a Bosch 010 and a PB5 split cooling kit on the way...

That being said, I’d really like to get some unbiased opinions here for a recipe to get the car down the quarter in just under 12 seconds. Originally i was thinking of going the S/C pulley route with a larger heat Exchanger and most likely meth for cooling but after searching and reading pages of threads I find myself only more indecisive. I’d love to do long tubes but I reside in St. Louis, MO. where a visual inspection for cats isn’t the problem but more so the test for O2 sensor readiness. As far as traction goes I am getting ready to pick up some SL550 wheels to fit 285 Nitto 555Rs on the back.

First time posting here so don’t be too harsh, like I said I’ve exhausted the search bar on here lol. Any help or opinions are appreciated. As soon as the pump, split cooling kit and Drag radials get here I plan on doing some baseline passes to see where it’s at. The summer humidity here is a ***** so my hopes aren’t set very high. Anyways, thanks!
Old 06-22-2018, 03:40 PM

Received 137 Likes on 110 Posts
2005 E55
At sea level?!? The drag radials alone might get you there.

I have slicks, 77mm pulley, cooling meth, lth, and have hit 11.8 at 5K+ DA. If high 11s is your goal you won't have any trouble.
Old 06-22-2018, 03:50 PM

2004 E55
Originally Posted by drothgeb
At sea level?!? The drag radials alone might get you there.

I have slicks, 77mm pulley, cooling meth, lth, and have hit 11.8 at 5K+ DA. If high 11s is your goal you won't have any trouble.
Apreciate the response. Car just feels a bit slouchy but I’m under the impression the notorious original IC pump is shot. I live in an area dominated by modern pony cars and everyone I know is doubting this car which is why I’m anxious to hurt some feelings lol
Old 06-22-2018, 03:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 166 Likes on 137 Posts
2019 Jeep Trackhawk, 2002 CLK55, 2014 911 Carrera
With a working intercooler pump and a good set of drag radials you should be running 12.10 - 12.20. You can probably get into the 11's with just a tune, although you might need a pulley as well.
Old 06-22-2018, 04:11 PM

2004 E55
Seems like a constant debate over a 76/77mm vs 83/84mm Pulley especially on a stock exhaust car with minimal cooling mods. I honestly don’t know which One I’d benefit more from.
Old 06-22-2018, 04:21 PM

Received 137 Likes on 110 Posts
2005 E55
I don't think there is much debate. Especially if you are considering meth in the future.
Old 06-22-2018, 04:27 PM

2004 E55
Originally Posted by drothgeb
I don't think there is much debate. Especially if you are considering meth in the future.
Some people seem to make the smaller ones out to produce much more heat resulting in more timing pulled. I guess if Meth is in the picture then I see your point. I would love to do headers but I’d be even more happy if I was able to reach my goals with the stock exhaust. I love the whole sleeper personality of these cars.

Ive also wanted to do a set of new spark plugs but don’t want to replace them just to have to go a step colder with a smaller pulley. Any suggestions on this?
Old 06-22-2018, 04:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 166 Likes on 137 Posts
2019 Jeep Trackhawk, 2002 CLK55, 2014 911 Carrera
I'm still running stock plugs even with a 77mm pulley. With 45k miles I wouldn't even bother changing them.
The following users liked this post:
KMPRSR (06-22-2018)
Old 06-22-2018, 05:10 PM

2004 E55
Originally Posted by JoeJErnst
I'm still running stock plugs even with a 77mm pulley. With 45k miles I wouldn't even bother changing them.
Awesome, I didn’t know if there was reason to fear modding and tuning the car with 14 year old plugs.
Old 06-22-2018, 08:18 PM
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 280 Likes on 231 Posts
2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
Originally Posted by KMPRSR

Awesome, I didn’t know if there was reason to fear modding and tuning the car with 14 year old plugs.
I am in the same situation, original plugs but very low mileage on the car.
83mm pulley, tune, heat exchanger and good tires is a very reliable and easy way to get a pretty fast car. Headers are a great mod but are relatively quite a bit more expensive, can be expensive to install and get right. They are unnecessary for your goals.
Old 06-22-2018, 08:54 PM

2004 E55
Originally Posted by tw2
I am in the same situation, original plugs but very low mileage on the car.
83mm pulley, tune, heat exchanger and good tires is a very reliable and easy way to get a pretty fast car. Headers are a great mod but are relatively quite a bit more expensive, can be expensive to install and get right. They are unnecessary for your goals.
Appreciate the response. How do you like the 83mm and PLM Heat Exchanger? I originally had ordered a VRP but changed my mind because the PLM is supposedly direct fit. Do you have any times to share?
Old 06-22-2018, 09:08 PM
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 280 Likes on 231 Posts
2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2

Appreciate the response. How do you like the 83mm and PLM Heat Exchanger? I originally had ordered a VRP but changed my mind because the PLM is supposedly direct fit. Do you have any times to share?
No times sorry, I haven't followed my own advice above as I am still running the brand new rubbish tires my car came with. The 83mm and tune made a huge difference. There is a significant jump in low down torque and I cannot get traction to save myself. Only going 60mph and above in the complete dry tar seal can I actually floor it. I can't imagine a 77mm. I have no desire for any more power at this stage. Maybe if some new potenza's or PilotSport4's make the car sane again I would consider headers but not a smaller pulley. I feel the car needs more high end hp more than it needs more low down torque.

PLM was excellent, install was pretty easy and fitment was good. The lower oil cooler if you have one doesn't fit quite as snug against it but that is my only complaint. It just makes fitting the lower plastic undercover harder than it could be. My pulley install was a minor disaster, I could not get the supercharger bolt undone to save myself. None of the tricks on the forum worked for me and I ended up paying the local garage to do it and they struggled too. Others have had similar experiences but it seems most people have no issues at all so I wouldn't worry to much about it.
Old 06-23-2018, 03:38 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
NA
I’d love to do long tubes but I reside in St. Louis, MO. where a visual inspection for cats isn’t the problem but more so the test for O2 sensor readiness.
My state has biyearly emissions, and my E55 with China (OBX) long tubes and 200-cell cats passed all readiness checks fine. I just added some O2 extenders (basically spark plug non-foulers) for the rears. I've done the same thing on many different cars, and to my knowledge they've always kept DTCs at bay and didn't mess with readiness. I will say though that the 200-cell cats aren't enough to keep the car from stinking which might raise an eyebrow at the emissions station. I'd definitely advise against running catless as the car will absolutely reek. At some point, I plan to go with MBH headers and Kooks Green cats (just to eliminate the smell), but I have a lot of projects and barely drive the E55 nowadays.

Also, on the subject of readiness and headers, if you get a tune, make sure they don't disable your rear O2 codes.

And to your topic question, with long tubes, 83mm upper pulley, tune, and Eurocharged heat exchanger, I run consistent 11.8-11.9 @ 121-122 with 2.0 60 fts. These are on 100% street tires, full weight including spare, and at least 1/2 tank gas (straight 93). About 300 ft above sea level and 60-70 degree ambient. With all the bolt-ons (everything mentioned + cams, throttle body, and 77mm pulley + water-meth), 10's should be possible with the right tires and cool weather in St Louis.
Old 06-23-2018, 05:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
99 ford lightning
my first time out when i got this car on drag radials and a split intercooler i ran 11.9 at 116 all for runs thought i was off to a great start. got a tune 11.6 at 119.9 in cool air. downhill after that with traction, and shifting.
Old 06-23-2018, 11:17 AM

2004 E55
Originally Posted by GM_Lover
My state has biyearly emissions, and my E55 with China (OBX) long tubes and 200-cell cats passed all readiness checks fine. I just added some O2 extenders (basically spark plug non-foulers) for the rears. I've done the same thing on many different cars, and to my knowledge they've always kept DTCs at bay and didn't mess with readiness. I will say though that the 200-cell cats aren't enough to keep the car from stinking which might raise an eyebrow at the emissions station. I'd definitely advise against running catless as the car will absolutely reek. At some point, I plan to go with MBH headers and Kooks Green cats (just to eliminate the smell), but I have a lot of projects and barely drive the E55 nowadays.

Also, on the subject of readiness and headers, if you get a tune, make sure they don't disable your rear O2 codes.

And to your topic question, with long tubes, 83mm upper pulley, tune, and Eurocharged heat exchanger, I run consistent 11.8-11.9 @ 121-122 with 2.0 60 fts. These are on 100% street tires, full weight including spare, and at least 1/2 tank gas (straight 93). About 300 ft above sea level and 60-70 degree ambient. With all the bolt-ons (everything mentioned + cams, throttle body, and 77mm pulley + water-meth), 10's should be possible with the right tires and cool weather in St Louis.
Where exactly in the mid section did you add the cats? I was thinking about possibly doing long tubes and then have some cats fitted up for when it’s inspection time and then simply take them back out post inspection. Luckily I only have to renew every 2 years so it wouldn’t be that much of a pain really.