SL/SLC-Class (R107) 1971-1989 : 250SL, 280SL, 450 SL, 380 SLC, 450 SL, 380 SL, 560 SL

SL/R107: 85 380SL still stranded

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-13-2018, 10:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
85 380SL still stranded

I have a 1985 380SL with 130K miles that is still stranded. While cruising on the highway at 75 mph, it began to lose power and left me stranded and waiting for a tow on the road side.
In summer 1996 the accumulator, fuel filter and fuel pump were all replaced

The car idles, but when I hit the gas pedal it dies out
I have researched this issue and I get results from bad gas - clogged catalytic converter - fuel return line is clogged - fuel distributor need rebuild - fuel filter is clogged

I don't have a repair manual - the fuel distributor looks intimidating - and I find a lack of photos on the Internet explaining what parts/fuel lines are what.

I have uploaded photos with labels if someone could just tell me what is A, B, C, D etc etc

I have disconnected each of these points and I do get fuel coming out of these locations

There seems to be a fuel line going to a larger line that has a shrader valve? What is the science/purpose behind this?

So confused.

Thank You

Old 07-14-2018, 03:37 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
I think staying in the sun has impaired your thinking----move to the shade---the valve and tubing is apart of your AC system. You can research the science by googling AC system which has nothing to do with your issue!
Old 07-15-2018, 08:53 PM

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
450SL
The return fuel line goes to that AC line and back out to the tank. Supposed to provide some fuel cooling when the AC is running.

Here is the link to the online service manual. A little difficult to work with but it may help you. https://www.startekinfo.com/StarTek/...tedDocId=11883 Good luck.
Old 07-18-2018, 07:57 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
1995 E420, 1998 E300TD, 2002 CL230K 6spd, 2002 CL230K auto, 2002 CL280T VR6 Project, 2001 A6 2.7T
All CIS fuel injection systems are very sensitive to any fuel contamination and this requires the utmost cleanliness from the tank forward. Taking a fuel sample in a clean, clear container, for visual inspection is a good starting point. This system is basic in its operation from a theoretical perspective but somewhat sophisticated in its technical design and many dealerships do not have techs with the experience to efficiently or accurately diagnose the symptoms. Take that into consideration before going to a dealer for repairs. Based on your symptom description there are several possibilities including but not limited to the following,1) The fuel system pressure or volume may be too low= Test the system pressure and volume with a gauge as per service manual. (If too low, check voltage supply to the fuel pump, replace the fuel filter, and check the fuel inlet fitting at the fuel distributor, it has a filter screen in it, and retest) 2) The control pressure may be too high= Test the control pressure.(If too high, carefully remove the fuel lines at the warm up regulator, then check the fitting, it has a filter in it, when it gets clogged the control pressure can get too high. 3) If no obvious faults are found with the above listed checks and the engine still dies out when trying to increase rpms, you may have an ignition system problem such as a weak coil or worn out secondary components such as distributor cap, rotor, etc , an oscilloscope is required to properly diagnose the ignition system but a visual inspection may reveal obvious faults.