SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600
View Poll Results: Replace the conductor plate and plug ?
Yes, likely
0%
No, don't bother
100.00%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

SL/R230: Transmission Shift Problems - 2007 - 600SL

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-15-2018, 10:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 MB 600SL
Unhappy Transmission Shift Problems - 2007 - 600SL

Greetings everyone, wanted your thoughts on some issues that I am having with a vehicle that I purchased a few weeks back:inspections went fine and I bought the car, however after about 80 miles of driving a problem became noticeable.

Transmission sometimes gets stuck in single gear and will not shift up or down automatically or with paddles or shift lever. It has also driven normally between these episodes making me think that the transmission itself has the ability to work properly. I had the fluid level checked and it is fine but afterwards the check engine light came on and shifted hard from 1st to 2nd, have not driven since.

Unfortunately the prior owner seems to have known about this and not disclosed it, which leaves me in a pretty lousy spot right now.
I found some paperwork in the car which indicated the prior owner had recently experienced the same issue and that the dealer found fault codes:
2066, 2069 - Fault in transmission, Faults in trans for selected gear is not met, slipping and speed sensor. They provided him an estimate to replace the transmission and converter

I did some searching here and many folks had problems with the conductor plate and leaky plug, any thoughts if I might find relief for my issues with this repair ?

much thanks for reading this

Will

Old 07-15-2018, 12:37 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 999 Likes on 868 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
Hi Will - welcome to the forum!

You need another option in your poll: Niether - get a proper diagnosis first!

P2066 and P2069 are generic OBDII codes that simply indicate some sort of fault in the TCU. You need to get codes pulled from the TCU using a scan tool that reads MBZ proprietary systems. This would be something like SDS (MBZ's Star Diagnosis System), iCarsoft MBII or i980, or Autel MD802. Your symptoms are typical of problems with the speed sensor on the conductor plate. I believe you have the 7-speed 722.9 transmission? If it is a bad speed sensor and the conductor plate has to be replaced, this is a dealer job because the TCU is inside the conductor plate and requires SCN coding (i.e. special VIN coding from MBZ corporate). Most charge around $1500 for the job.
The following users liked this post:
Will Vincent (07-15-2018)
Old 07-15-2018, 01:04 PM

2007 MB 600SL
Hi Rodney, good point about amending the poll to get some real info.

From what I have read it is the 5 speed which meant I could potentially replace the conductor plate and plug myself. If folks thought this might have some merit I thought a few hours and $200- worth of parts and fluid might be a decent stab in the dark as a dealer had reviewed for prior owner and indicated to replace the transmission which seems like that might be an expensive option.

Thanks for the info that what were provided were generic obd2 codes, I could not find anything specific on them.

From the reading I have done seemed as though replacing the plate and plug were messy but doable and that did not need programming afterwards but I expect I need to clear the TCU codes.

Hopeful some others might have had similar symptoms and results of what was done to perhaps save me from a rather large bill.
Old 07-15-2018, 08:53 PM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
I checked documentation and the MY2007 SL600 does have the 722.6 5-speed, so yes, the conductor plate is a DIY, but you will still need to clear codes when done. I highly recommend investing in scan tool. I use SDS myself, but I hear good things about The Autel MD802 and iCarsoft units. That way, you can get the codes and know for sure it's a speed sensor, then after doing he job, you can clear the codes.
The following users liked this post:
Will Vincent (07-16-2018)
Old 07-16-2018, 06:03 PM

2007 MB 600SL
Thanks for the suggestion Rodney, I ordered the icarsoft unit and Beck Arnley 044-0370 Auto Transmission Filter Kit from AMZ, kit has conductor plate, plug, filter, and gasket. I will post the codes when I have them and will share the experience.

Will
Old 07-17-2018, 06:33 PM

2007 MB 600SL
Much thanks to Rodney for suggesting the scan tool. I went with the icarsoft mbII and got the following codes. Any thoughts on whether the conductor plate and plug warrant replacement on below ? My understanding is that the speed sensor is part of the conductor plate... Correct ?

Trouble Codes:
P0715 - input/Turbine speed sensor A circuit

P2500 - The transmission has an impermissible transmission ratio
P220A - The speed comparison of Y3/6n2 to Y3/6n3 is implausible
P2561 - The gear is implausible or the transmission is slipping
P2202 - The internal electrical check of component Y3/6n3(speed sensor 3 ) has failed.

P1925 - Drive authoirzation has been refused by control module n15/5 Electronic selector lever modcule
P1925ca - fault code not found in the database.
Old 07-17-2018, 10:35 PM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
Most likely, you need to replace the conductor plate due to defective speed sensors. I would clear those errors and check again, though.