C450/C43 AMG
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking of leasing '18 C43 or wait for '19?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-16-2018, 08:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Acura
Thinking of leasing '18 C43 or wait for '19?

The dealerships in socal are offering me about 11% off MSRP and about $600 a month in payments with $1300 in drive off for their $62K stickered car. The MF is great and all.

But I can't help but wonder should I jump on this deal or wait for the 2019? But I know the dealers probably won't discount the 2019 much.

Any thoughts?
Old 07-16-2018, 08:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts
'20 GLC300 SUV
I was in the exact same position you are this time last week.

I jumped on the ‘18 because the last time I went for a brand new redesign/facelift, there were some teething issues with the car.

Unless you must have the new digital gauge cluster, any of the aesthetic treatments can be installed later.

Also, no matter whether you wait or get the ‘18, there will always be an update, a new model, etc. around the corner.

If you’re going to lease, take advantage of the great deal, enjoy the car, and then reap the benefits of getting a great deal again before the W205 chassis is phased out.

My 2 cents. BTW, I love my ‘18.
Old 07-16-2018, 09:14 PM

Acura
Where did you buy , if you don't mind me asking, and how much dscount of MSRP did you get off?
Old 07-16-2018, 09:22 PM

Acura
Do you think the $2200 multimedia package is absolutely must-have? Should I buy the $61K version which has leather and the navi or take the $57K which has no navi and Black MB-Tex/DINAMICA ?

By the way, what is MB-tex? The pictures look like suede/velvet but is it supposed to be like BMW leatherette (simulated leather) ? Why does it look a little furry in the pictures?

If I take the first car, I could save about $50 bucks a month. I figured with apple car play, I could just use that for my navigation and all.
Old 07-16-2018, 10:31 PM

'18 C43, '18 SQ5
Located in SoCal also. I leased back in February and you're quoting around the same numbers I got.
I assume they could do much better than that for the '18 given the 19's are going to be here soon.
My MSRP was $64k and I didn't get the multimedia pack. The car isn't my daily so I opted out of that and spent the money elsewhere.
PE is a must have though.

However, if I were in your shoes, I would definitely wait for the 19s if it still fits your budget. I wouldn't be afraid of facelifts as there are much more positive experiences than negative.
I got a facelift Audi SQ5 for my wife and it has been problem free for 8 months. It's a lease so it's not a long term commitment for you.
As for the seats, believe it is like suede. I don't have it, but I think one of the cars I test drove had it and it was suede down the middle and leatherette on the edges of the seat. I can't remember 100% though.
Maybe someone else can comment on that
Old 07-16-2018, 10:40 PM

Acura
The problem is my wife is not wanting me to spend too much. Plus, I really wonder if they would offer similar MF or 10%+ discounts on the 2019. I estimate conservatively a 5% off MSRP and .00135 MR (3.24%) for their 2019s which would then bump my payments up to $725 from $600. That's a huge chunk of change. She's telling me to just get the '18.

Maybe the 2018 is the only play for me.

Unfortunately, I couldn't locate any 2018's sedans with a PE exhaust that isn't under $62K sticker.

Personally, I wouldn't mind 18 inch wheels. Rides better and cheaper tires.

(ps. this is for a c43 sedan)

Last edited by nukezero; 07-16-2018 at 10:43 PM.
Old 07-16-2018, 11:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'20 GLC300 SUV
Originally Posted by nukezero
Where did you buy , if you don't mind me asking, and how much dscount of MSRP did you get off?
Not at all. Indiana. And I got about $6k off the MSRP of around $62k.

Do you think the $2200 multimedia package is absolutely must-have? Should I buy the $61K version which has leather and the navi or take the $57K which has no navi and Black MB-Tex/DINAMICA ?

By the way, what is MB-tex? The pictures look like suede/velvet but is it supposed to be like BMW leatherette (simulated leather) ? Why does it look a little furry in the pictures?

If I take the first car, I could save about $50 bucks a month. I figured with apple car play, I could just use that for my navigation and all.
Multimedia package is a must-have, IMO. I think that guarantees the larger display screen. And I really like how the leather appointments look in the W205 C-Class. I would say it is worth it.

MB-Tex is Merc's synthetic leather. The suede-like material you are seeing is called DINAMICA, which is Merc's synthetic alcantara.

I had MB-Tex and DINAMICA (alcantara) in my W204 C63, which I had for 5 years. The great thing about MB-Tex is that it is very easy to maintain and holds up well. Cons: It doesn't feel as soft as leather. But it looks just like it.

DINAMICA, on the other hand, is an absolute bear to maintain, especially on seating surfaces. If you don't clean it right, you'll ruin the look. If you don't clean it at all, you'll ruin it.

Pros of DINAMICA: It doesn't get hot in the summer or cold in the winter, it grips you in the seat, and it looks unique as most high-end exotic cars have some form of DINAMICA or alcantara in their interiors.

Last edited by zibby43; 07-16-2018 at 11:22 PM.
Old 07-16-2018, 11:29 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2019 c43 AMG
PE

most everyone on the forum would feel the performance exhaust is a must have. For me it would be a deal breaker. Good luck
Old 07-17-2018, 12:09 AM

Acura
Why is it not possible to add the PE exhaust after the purchase? I know it was possible with BMW's. Does it have something to do with having to buy the electronic controls and stuff?
Old 07-17-2018, 12:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'20 GLC300 SUV
Why is it not possible to add the PE exhaust after the purchase? I know it was possible with BMW's. Does it have something to do with having to buy the electronic controls and stuff?
Did I answer your question sufficiently about the upholstery choices?

Here is a thread re: retrofitting the PE -

https://mbworld.org/forums/c450-c43-...-complete.html
Old 07-17-2018, 01:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 283 Likes on 194 Posts
2021 Mercedes C63s AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by zibby43
Did I answer your question sufficiently about the upholstery choices?

Here is a thread re: retrofitting the PE -

https://mbworld.org/forums/c450-c43-...-complete.html
I must again warn that PE retrofit would not give you the original PE sound at all as it is generated by altering fuel trim by a separate controller.
The following users liked this post:
waisoserious (07-17-2018)
Old 07-17-2018, 01:18 AM

Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts
2018 C43 Sedan
The performance exhaust is a MUST HAVE. Otherwise, you would be better served by the C300 which gets much better fuel economy. The extra performance of the C43 is not really relevant without the performance exhaust to round out the sporty experience.

MB Tex is a very, very good vinyl leather imitation that is incredibly durable and is practically indistinguishable from leather. However, the MB-Tex is not available on the C43. The standard seats are actually Dinimica/Alcantara, which is fake SUADE, not leather. It is a micofiber, so think cloth, not leather. Yes, it is sporty, but it is hard to clean and maintain. There is some MB-TEX trim, but the seats are dinimica suade. You don’t want this in your car unless you are a total neat freak. So in my opinion leather is a must have in a C43, whereas in a C300, MB-Tex will do fine.

The command infotainment upgrade is quite good, but if you don’t depend on nav, you can do without, but note you’ll get a smaller screen.

If you really can’t find a car with a performance exhaust, I say just pass until you can find one. Otherwise I don’t see the point in the fuel thirsty V6–it is too sedate without the performance exhaust. It adds a lot more to the car than the asking price.

I was in a similar spot in that my wife had some ideas about what we should spend. The reality is that when you add up fuel consumption, insurance, more expensive AMG service, taxes, tires, this is a relatively expensive car to own. Is it worth it if it is a splurge? Yes, but only if you configure it the way you really want it. It is not worth dealing with Alcantara seats and no performance exhaust just so you can have the V6. I’d rather have a more well equipped C300 frankly.
Old 07-17-2018, 01:33 AM

Acura
Thank you everyone for answering my questions about the leather and the car options. I'm think I'm going to go with my instincts. Which is, why pay so much for the car, when it isn't exactly perfectly configured to the way I like it. (My prior car was a manual BMW 335i and I had ordered that from germany and enjoyed it for 8 years.)

I will say the C43 test drive did impress me by far of all the cars in the price range. I always had this negative perception about Mercedes(with the exception of the C63) but the test drive, sound (even though it wasn't PE exhaust), interior fit n finish, and just dynamics was far better than the current 4 series and Audi S5 that I was cross-shopping.

I will see what offers they have for the 2019 when it comes out and perhaps just order a bare bones C43 with the PE exhaust, LED lights, and leather. That's pretty much all I would need tbh. Hopefully I can convince the wife.

I'm hoping that the BMW 3 series G-series debut end of this year will help put pressure on mercedes to drive prices down as I heard the M340i will put out some good numbers too.

Last edited by nukezero; 07-17-2018 at 01:36 AM.
Old 07-17-2018, 01:38 AM

Acura
Do you guys think I should swing for the CLA45 ?? I mean, I am a bit concerned about MPG. I really would prefer great MPG and performance. I wonder how the MF is on the CLA45.
Old 07-17-2018, 02:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'20 GLC300 SUV
Do you guys think I should swing for the CLA45 ?? I mean, I am a bit concerned about MPG. I really would prefer great MPG and performance. I wonder how the MF is on the CLA45.
I had 2 E90 335i sedans: an '07 sedan with the N54 (Dinan tuned), and a '10 M Sport xDrive (stock). I then had two F30 335i M Sport sedans (both M Performance-tuned with the M Performance brakes, tune, exhaust, CF bodywork, etc.).

With the F30, it felt like BMW lost its way a little bit. A lot of plastic on the interior and the car felt a little soft and floaty. That's when I got my '13 C63 and kept it for 5 years. Now that I'm engaged and have room for only 1 car, the AWD C43 gives me pretty much everything I need and want from a daily driver.

The CLA45 is a fantastic machine. You could probably lease a decently equipped spec somewhere in the $600 range . . . but the interior is not in the same league as the C-Class. If that's something that matters to you, I don't know if you'd be thrilled with it.
Old 07-17-2018, 03:11 AM

Acura
Originally Posted by zibby43
I had 2 E90 335i sedans: an '07 sedan with the N54 (Dinan tuned), and a '10 M Sport xDrive (stock). I then had two F30 335i M Sport sedans (both M Performance-tuned with the M Performance brakes, tune, exhaust, CF bodywork, etc.).

With the F30, it felt like BMW lost its way a little bit. A lot of plastic on the interior and the car felt a little soft and floaty. That's when I got my '13 C63 and kept it for 5 years. Now that I'm engaged and have room for only 1 car, the AWD C43 gives me pretty much everything I need and want from a daily driver.

The CLA45 is a fantastic machine. You could probably lease a decently equipped spec somewhere in the $600 range . . . but the interior is not in the same league as the C-Class. If that's something that matters to you, I don't know if you'd be thrilled with it.
oh I totally agree. My e92 had much less plastic than the new f30s. I wasn’t impressed and the steering lost its feel after they went electric. In hindsight I do regret selling the e92 6mt because now it is so hard finding the next perfect car. I looked at the S5 sportsback and loved it, but the MF was too rich for my blood.

Hey what kind of avg MPGs are you guys getting with the C45??
Old 07-17-2018, 04:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 665 Likes on 523 Posts
c
Originally Posted by Snarfalus
The performance exhaust is a MUST HAVE. Otherwise, you would be better served by the C300 which gets much better fuel economy. The extra performance of the C43 is not really relevant without the performance exhaust to round out the sporty experience.

MB Tex is a very, very good vinyl leather imitation that is incredibly durable and is practically indistinguishable from leather. However, the MB-Tex is not available on the C43. The standard seats are actually Dinimica/Alcantara, which is fake SUADE, not leather. It is a micofiber, so think cloth, not leather. Yes, it is sporty, but it is hard to clean and maintain. There is some MB-TEX trim, but the seats are dinimica suade. You don’t want this in your car unless you are a total neat freak. So in my opinion leather is a must have in a C43, whereas in a C300, MB-Tex will do fine.

The command infotainment upgrade is quite good, but if you don’t depend on nav, you can do without, but note you’ll get a smaller screen.

If you really can’t find a car with a performance exhaust, I say just pass until you can find one. Otherwise I don’t see the point in the fuel thirsty V6–it is too sedate without the performance exhaust. It adds a lot more to the car than the asking price.

I was in a similar spot in that my wife had some ideas about what we should spend. The reality is that when you add up fuel consumption, insurance, more expensive AMG service, taxes, tires, this is a relatively expensive car to own. Is it worth it if it is a splurge? Yes, but only if you configure it the way you really want it. It is not worth dealing with Alcantara seats and no performance exhaust just so you can have the V6. I’d rather have a more well equipped C300 frankly.
This response is so immature.

"If you don't get the 19 inch wheels you might as well get a honda civic cause it's not sporty and doesn't look the part to match the car", would be similar rational to what you are saying here. Not to mention you are talking about things you don't have any experience with.
Old 07-17-2018, 08:45 AM

2018 C43 Sedan
Originally Posted by alexasa
This response is so immature.

"If you don't get the 19 inch wheels you might as well get a honda civic cause it's not sporty and doesn't look the part to match the car", would be similar rational to what you are saying here. Not to mention you are talking about things you don't have any experience with.
What are you talking about I have a loaded C43 sedan with Leather, PE, HUD, Burmeister, Multimedia, LED, and I have also owned a C300 W205 with MB-TEX. I have personal knowledge of both cars...

There is a premium to owning an AMG over a C300, my point is it is worth it, but without the Performance Exhaust you might find yourself wondering why you didn’t just got a C300.

Last edited by Snarfalus; 07-17-2018 at 08:48 AM.
Old 07-17-2018, 08:51 AM

2018 C43 Sedan

What are you talking about I have a loaded C43 sedan with Leather, PE, HUD, Burmeister, Multimedia, LED, and I have also owned a C300 W205 with MB-TEX. I have personal knowledge of both cars...

There is a premium to owning an AMG over a C300, my point is it is worth it, but without the Performance Exhaust you might find yourself wondering why you didn’t just got a C300.
I am not saying the C300 is a bad car, it is a great car, but if you are looking at a 43 you want some fun and sport exhaust is the best part!
Old 07-17-2018, 09:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I agree to this though. The power difference between the C300 and C43 is not high enough to justify the added cost and loss of fuel economy. The C300 felt pretty quick when I had it as a loaner. What it severely lacked is any character in the delivery of that power. If you do not care for that, C300 is a better option no doubt.

C43 without the performance exhaust is pretty much a C300 with 100hp more in my opinion. And the one time my C43 was on soft limp mode, so it restricted itself to 250hp, and I did not even realize something was wrong with the car until a week passed by. So you would not miss that 100hp that much. What you would miss between the 43 and 300 is the way the power is delivered, and this difference is significantly amplified by the PE.
Old 07-17-2018, 01:26 PM

Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts
2018 C43 AMG
Originally Posted by munis
I agree to this though. The power difference between the C300 and C43 is not high enough to justify the added cost and loss of fuel economy. The C300 felt pretty quick when I had it as a loaner. What it severely lacked is any character in the delivery of that power. If you do not care for that, C300 is a better option no doubt.

C43 without the performance exhaust is pretty much a C300 with 100hp more in my opinion. And the one time my C43 was on soft limp mode, so it restricted itself to 250hp, and I did not even realize something was wrong with the car until a week passed by. So you would not miss that 100hp that much. What you would miss between the 43 and 300 is the way the power is delivered, and this difference is significantly amplified by the PE.
Honestly, thats a bit of an exaggeration. You're really judging this whole car's performance & "delivery" off the performance exhaust option? Sure, The performance exhaust is louder and has a nice tone to it, but the car performs phenomenally regardless of that extra 10db note from the rear. I'd rather have a c43 sounding like a tesla than c300, Why? Because of everything else "AMG" has put effort into improving this car to become better than a 340, S4, and its blows its competition with the performance exhaust or not. Look at everything else mechanically this car has over the c300. Don't let the performance exhaust be a deciding factor in whether this car is worth it or not. I do agree with you that a louder car is much more thrilling than a quiet one, but The standard AMG sports exhaust isn't that bad. I get really loud upshift & downshift pops aswell, sure not as loud as your glorious PE exhaust but its surely better than a c300... And if we're talking price, You guys can pick up a 485hp Scatpack for about $350/month, best bang for your buck for sound and power.
The following users liked this post:
munis (07-17-2018)
Old 07-17-2018, 01:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by C43Ayemgee
Honestly, thats a bit of an exaggeration. You're really judging this whole car's performance & "delivery" off the performance exhaust option? Sure, The performance exhaust is louder and has a nice tone to it, but the car performs phenomenally regardless of that extra 10db note from the rear. I'd rather have a c43 sounding like a tesla than c300, Why? Because of everything else "AMG" has put effort into improving this car to become better than a 340, S4, and its blows its competition with the performance exhaust or not. Look at everything else mechanically this car has over the c300. Don't let the performance exhaust be a deciding factor in whether this car is worth it or not. I do agree with you that a louder car is much more thrilling than a quiet one, but The standard AMG sports exhaust isn't that bad. I get really loud upshift & downshift pops aswell, sure not as loud as your glorious PE exhaust but its surely better than a c300... And if we're talking price, You guys can pick up a 485hp Scatpack for about $350/month, best bang for your buck for sound and power.
Oh no I did not mean it like that. The 43 is much better even without the PE no doubt. But would you miss that 100hp? I almost didn't when I was on soft limp mode. Well we also have the C63s suspension. But unless you are screeching your tires during that Walmart run, then meh, haha.
Old 07-17-2018, 01:38 PM

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
none yet
I'm going to lease a 2019. The difference in msrp between a 2018-2019 the way I want it is about $600... My current lease won't end for 6 months so there's really no choice. But I'd still opt for the 2019.. MORE HP, nicer 10.5" screen standard, Apple Car play standard, all new LED front and rear lights, (and optional wide beam LED headlights) I happen to really like the new front and rear bumpers and the round exhaust pipes and diffuser. Heck I'd pay $600. just for the power upgrade. And it'll be it's more that 20hp.. MB always under rates stuff.. Just my $0.2 worth
Old 07-17-2018, 01:39 PM

Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts
2018 C43 AMG
Originally Posted by munis
Oh no I did not mean it like that. The 43 is much better even without the PE no doubt. But would you miss that 100hp? I almost didn't when I was on soft limp mode. Well we also have the C63s suspension. But unless you are screeching your tires during that Walmart run, then meh, haha.
What do you mean? Yea ofcourse id miss 100hp. Did you not notice it though?
Old 07-17-2018, 01:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Took me a week to realize the car feels a bit bogged down. Then I verified using a timer. 0-100 was taking like 5.5 seconds compared to 4.2ish I measured before. So I knew something was up. Checked the AMG screen, and walla! Thing was locked to 250hp and 250lbft of torque.

Took it back to the dealership and the car had a code for exhaust valves being shorted out. Changed the fuse and everything was back to normal. But yes, took me quite a while to figure this out.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Thinking of leasing '18 C43 or wait for '19?