Sponsored by:

Installed Vrtuned Box..... Wow... But Lost Crackles And Bangs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-25-2018, 01:02 PM

Received 132 Likes on 112 Posts
2018 C43 AMG Brilliant Blue Metallic
Installed Vrtuned Box..... Wow... But Lost Crackles And Bangs

Hey guys finally installed my vrtuned box.

Install was pretty easy with all the help from the members here (thanx again) and looking on YouTube.

Huge difference in power and it seemed to get stronger as I drove the car, which makes sense after reading the c450 forum install with the dyno showing the same.

Now the bad news... I lost the crackles and bangs, I have read on the forums that this sometimes happens right after install but returns after a few weeks.

Has anybody lost the crackles and bangs permanently after installing a tune?

Not saying I am taking it off but damn I lost all the goodness of the PE exhaust.

Thanx
​​​

Old 07-25-2018, 01:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 283 Likes on 194 Posts
2021 Mercedes C63s AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by Dieseldan9
Hey guys finally installed my vrtuned box.

Install was pretty easy with all the help from the members here (thanx again) and looking on YouTube.

Huge difference in power and it seemed to get stronger as I drove the car, which makes sense after reading the c450 forum install with the dyno showing the same.

Now the bad news... I lost the crackles and bangs, I have read on the forums that this sometimes happens right after install but returns after a few weeks.

Has anybody lost the crackles and bangs permanently after installing a tune?

Not saying I am taking it off but damn I lost all the goodness of the PE exhaust.

Thanx
​​​

When you saw lost, you mean you lost all of it? Or is it just reduced? Does not sound right. But then again your VR tune manipulates the fuelling, so it changes the fuel trim, which in turn can mess up the PE sound. Just a speculation. See if it comes back and report back haha!
Old 07-25-2018, 01:28 PM

Received 85 Likes on 73 Posts
2017 C43 AMG Cabriolet Black/Cranberry Red
My JB4 muffled my burbles when I first installed it, but it was fine after a day. Please do update us.
Old 07-25-2018, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by munis
When you saw lost, you mean you lost all of it? Or is it just reduced? Does not sound right. But then again your VR tune manipulates the fuelling, so it changes the fuel trim, which in turn can mess up the PE sound. Just a speculation. See if it comes back and report back haha!
There where a few here and there and when they did go off they where extremely muffled.

Keep in mind I have asr module so my flaps are wide open, I think If exhaust was stock you would barely beable to hear them at all.

Yeah I agree I did have to connect tune to fuel so you are probly right it is messing with the overrun.

I will keep you guys posted hoping it comes back.

I can only wonder how JB1 feels cause I feel it makes way more power than my tune.

BTW it might just be me or the fact I didn't install engine Cover right away but did u guys here more turbo whistle and blowoff Valve noises after installing tune?
​​
Old 07-25-2018, 02:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

There where a few here and there and when they did go off they where extremely muffled.

Keep in mind I have asr module so my flaps are wide open, I think If exhaust was stock you would barely beable to hear them at all.

Yeah I agree I did have to connect tune to fuel so you are probly right it is messing with the overrun.

I will keep you guys posted hoping it comes back.

I can only wonder how JB1 feels cause I feel it makes way more power than my tune.

BTW it might just be me or the fact I didn't install engine Cover right away but did u guys here more turbo whistle and blowoff Valve noises after installing tune?
​​
Eh, um not really no. May be its in your head. But if you absolutely want to be sure, May be a checked the intercooler pipe to the intake? Star4life had the same problem here. Shoot him a message if you can. Just take a look at this. If this pipe looks good it might be in your head. Secondarily, look at the boost gauge in your AMG cluster. If you are not getting full boost, or getting full boost and then it drops off steeply, you might have a boost leak too.

Pretty easy to diagnose.

Old 07-25-2018, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by munis
Eh, um not really no. May be its in your head. But if you absolutely want to be sure, May be a checked the intercooler pipe to the intake? Star4life had the same problem here. Shoot him a message if you can. Just take a look at this. If this pipe looks good it might be in your head. Secondarily, look at the boost gauge in your AMG cluster. If you are not getting full boost, or getting full boost and then it drops off steeply, you might have a boost leak too.

Pretty easy to diagnose.

O no it is not anything like that what I mean is I can hear the turbo spooling up.

I drove around looking at those gages you told me about and monitored the check engine light and so far all is running great.

Now I am already getting greedy about turning the tune up. On the bottom of unit I can adjust tune from setting one to setting 9. It is on setting 6 now. I am running 93 octane at sea level so maybe I can turn it up one or 2 more clicks.

According to what I have read setting 9 is for 98ron which is basically 94 octane in states.
Old 07-26-2018, 11:14 AM

Received 126 Likes on 95 Posts
2018 C43 sedan
I was hearing a lot of turbo noise on my 43. Took it to the dealership and sure enough I had a boost leak. On my gauge cluster, my boost would max out and then slowly fall to 3/4.

Last edited by HTXgearhead; 07-26-2018 at 11:16 AM.
Old 07-26-2018, 01:47 PM

Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts
2018 C43 AMG
Originally Posted by HTXgearhead
I was hearing a lot of turbo noise on my 43. Took it to the dealership and sure enough I had a boost leak. On my gauge cluster, my boost would max out and then slowly fall to 3/4.
You noticed it falling to 3/4 at full throttle?

Old 07-26-2018, 06:31 PM

Received 126 Likes on 95 Posts
2018 C43 sedan
Originally Posted by C43Ayemgee
You noticed it falling to 3/4 at full throttle?
Yes, every time. The boost bar would max out and quickly fall around the 3/4 mark.
Old 08-03-2018, 10:16 AM

Well I have bad news (atleast for me) I called Vivid and unfortunately I will not be getting the pops and bangs back.

The VRtuned box connects to the fuel system so they have modified the trim that causes the pops and bangs.

Car pulls like crazy and I am glad I have installed the tune, I plan on turning it up a few notches to see how the car performs.
The following 2 users liked this post by Dieseldan9:
Lazz83 (10-18-2018), munis (08-03-2018)
Old 08-03-2018, 12:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Well I have bad news (atleast for me) I called Vivid and unfortunately I will not be getting the pops and bangs back.

The VRtuned box connects to the fuel system so they have modified the trim that causes the pops and bangs.

Car pulls like crazy and I am glad I have installed the tune, I plan on turning it up a few notches to see how the car performs.
Yeah that bit was easy to guess, haha. Yeah car should definitely pull hard!
Old 10-18-2018, 04:46 AM

Just an update I finally turned the tune up to its highest setting of 9.

I was originally running it on a setting of 6 with summer weather but now with the cooler weather the car is running better.

The power increase is very very noticeable, I mean the torque increase is massive. In lower gears the car feels like it is going to take off! The front end lurches into the air when I get on it in first or second gear.

Can't wait for my intake next week!
​​​​
Old 10-18-2018, 09:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Just an update I finally turned the tune up to its highest setting of 9.

I was originally running it on a setting of 6 with summer weather but now with the cooler weather the car is running better.

The power increase is very very noticeable, I mean the torque increase is massive. In lower gears the car feels like it is going to take off! The front end lurches into the air when I get on it in first or second gear.

Can't wait for my intake next week!
​​​​
Get a dragy then you would be able to get a sense of the numbers.
Old 10-18-2018, 10:05 AM

That will be next purchase after jb4 and intake