GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

is my airmatic failing?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-17-2018, 01:59 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2013 GL450
is my airmatic failing?

on my 2013 GL450 i noticed after parked overnight / long time, one corner (passenger rear) will be lower than the other. when open the door / turn the car on it will refill and back up to height.

is this sign of that corner airmatic failing?

if yes what should i do, just change that one corner, both rear, or all four airmatic what's the usual recommendation?
Old 08-17-2018, 03:04 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
GL450
I don't know if your airmatic is failing but based on posts I have read in the past, you usually want to replace all four at the same time (if you actually need to replace them) because if one fails, it means that the rest of them will fail soon (they incur the same amount of wear). Plus you don't want to replace one and then another one fails and your car is lopsided again!
Old 08-17-2018, 03:27 PM

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts
2017 GLC300 2020 Toyota Rav4H AWD XLE
Originally Posted by byroncheung
on my 2013 GL450 i noticed after parked overnight / long time, one corner (passenger rear) will be lower than the other. when open the door / turn the car on it will refill and back up to height.

is this sign of that corner airmatic failing?

if yes what should i do, just change that one corner, both rear, or all four airmatic what's the usual recommendation?
Although i am no expert, but from driving my mothers old W219 (2003 S430), the airmatic failed and the now the car is completely lowered (three out of the 4 tires the car covers the top of it )
Old 12-10-2018, 10:51 AM

2013 GL450
thanks for all the reply.

just want to report back that i'm pretty sure there is a leak on the rear right air spring. i managed to confirm that by spraying soap water on it and saw 2 spots bubbling up on the spring.

i ordered replacement air spring for the rear from arnott. majority of ppl seems happy with them, although there are occasion report of it failing out of the box but since they have guarantee i'm happy to give them a try.

for now i'll just do both of the rear, the front seems to be much harder to DIY i will wait until them fail...
Old 12-10-2018, 11:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 135 Posts
2010 Mercedes GL450; 2000 Mercedes ML55 AMG; 2016 VW GLI SEL Stick!!!
thanks for all the reply.

just want to report back that i'm pretty sure there is a leak on the rear right air spring. i managed to confirm that by spraying soap water on it and saw 2 spots bubbling up on the spring.

i ordered replacement air spring for the rear from arnott. majority of ppl seems happy with them, although there are occasion report of it failing out of the box but since they have guarantee i'm happy to give them a try.

for now i'll just do both of the rear, the front seems to be much harder to DIY i will wait until them fail...

Next time look at fcp euro and the Bilstein front struts. They also have a warranty.

Although hopefully by the time you need them they will be in stock again. The front struts are out of stock at most dealers.
Old 12-10-2018, 03:49 PM
mtm

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts
gl450
I had exactly that issue with my 2013 GL450, except it was driver side rear. Replaced both rear bags with the ones from Arnott - problem solved.

Very easy job, takes just a few minutes once you have the wheels off. The 40 A large orange fuse for Airmatic could be hard to get out (it's held by plastic spring tabs). The bags themselves come out easily once you remove the airline fitting and separate the top from the white plastic tab. Replace the tab with the new one provided by Arnott, put the new bag in, push the air line into the brass fitting on the new bag and that's it.
Old 12-31-2018, 01:22 PM

2013 GL450
Originally Posted by mtm
I had exactly that issue with my 2013 GL450, except it was driver side rear. Replaced both rear bags with the ones from Arnott - problem solved.

Very easy job, takes just a few minutes once you have the wheels off. The 40 A large orange fuse for Airmatic could be hard to get out (it's held by plastic spring tabs). The bags themselves come out easily once you remove the airline fitting and separate the top from the white plastic tab. Replace the tab with the new one provided by Arnott, put the new bag in, push the air line into the brass fitting on the new bag and that's it.
^^^
This!

I finally changed it myself last night. I almost broke that fuse (cracked its plastic housing a little bit) in pulling it out! I just ordered one of those fuse extractor tools will see if it help next time...
I will also add that it takes some force to get the old air spring out, which involves breaking the old plastic anchor. All those videos I have seen the guys will be like pulling it out so easily... which I don't know how they managed. I ended up using a large screwdriver to lever it off the chassis. But other than the fuse and removing the old strut all else is pretty easy. Still, I was lazy and ended up only replaced the side that was sacking... Will do the other side when I feel like it or when it leaks...

Also to people using the Arnott's replacement, do you feel the ride quality is slightly worse than OEM? I test drove it last night on local roads, I felt like I could feel the vibrations and bumps from the road more than it used to be. My wife also just texted me stating the same (I didn't tell her how I felt so it was independent finding)...
Old 01-01-2019, 05:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 GL 450
These parts should have been recalled. It is insane how they all fail around five years. I am finding the long-term quality on my 2014 GL450 to be horrendous. Things from plastic trim covers falling off to replacing both headlights to airmatics. My last MB purchase.
Old 08-21-2019, 08:07 AM

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
2013 GL450
8/20/2019 - Uggghhhh one down and three to go??? Just had the following service done under ELW

"Airmatic light leak tested RR air spring it was leaking removed wheel used SDS to release air pressure in the aromatic system disconnected air line removed damaged air spring installed new air spring installed new fitting onto air line and installed onto air spring put wheel back on and pressure tested again"

1 - Pneumatic Spring
1 - Seal holder
1 - Replace on right air suspension bellows of 2nd veh.axle
Old 02-06-2020, 08:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 GL 450 4MATIC
Hi i need help,
I got 2013 GL 450 4 MATIC 99500 miles on it, sometimes rear passenger side sag after parking couple hours, while unlocking car sometimes hearing air pressure noise and it rise by itself. There is no lights on dashboard no warning sign such as Mulfunctioning. Also risining and lowering works good. What is this issue? It sign that it need to be replaced or what? Thanks
P.S overnight parking it doesnot sag
Old 02-10-2020, 10:06 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Overpriced German Junk
Originally Posted by KamranT
Hi i need help,
I got 2013 GL 450 4 MATIC 99500 miles on it, sometimes rear passenger side sag after parking couple hours, while unlocking car sometimes hearing air pressure noise and it rise by itself. There is no lights on dashboard no warning sign such as Mulfunctioning. Also risining and lowering works good. What is this issue? It sign that it need to be replaced or what? Thanks
P.S overnight parking it doesnot sag
You have a leak but it may not be an emergency right now. You should consider the longevity of your pump working harder. The fronts usually fail with more.... "gusto".

Last edited by Sierra117; 02-10-2020 at 06:29 PM.
Old 03-14-2020, 11:52 AM

2013 GL 450 4MATIC
when mechanic replace rear driver side air bag (arnott) he accidently loosen the air tube pin. I afraid in future it will sag. So after parking 2 days on garage when i open the car rear driver side rised just very short maybe 1mm. Is it indicates air leak? Also i hear in front passenger side air sound and then sometimes it rise just 0.5-1 mm it in not noticeable sometimes not rising? Is it ok hear air sound after opening car? Thanks
Old 03-15-2020, 10:22 AM

2013 GL450
Originally Posted by KamranT
when mechanic replace rear driver side air bag (arnott) he accidently loosen the air tube pin. I afraid in future it will sag. So after parking 2 days on garage when i open the car rear driver side rised just very short maybe 1mm. Is it indicates air leak? Also i hear in front passenger side air sound and then sometimes it rise just 0.5-1 mm it in not noticeable sometimes not rising? Is it ok hear air sound after opening car? Thanks
i think a little bit of leak over night is normal. It is all about avoiding constant leak which work the air pump overtime and the pump eventually will fail. My arnott also drop a little bit after the car sit a while, it its a tiny drop personally I won’t worry too much about it
Old 03-15-2020, 09:02 PM

2013 GL 450 4MATIC
i think a little bit of leak over night is normal. It is all about avoiding constant leak which work the air pump overtime and the pump eventually will fail. My arnott also drop a little bit after the car sit a while, it its a tiny drop personally I won’t worry too much about it
hi thanks for reply, what is indicator that there is a leak? It sags after couple hours? Also sometime i hear air sound from front side after unlocking car. Is it normal?
Old 03-28-2020, 11:56 PM

Received 64 Likes on 52 Posts
2012 ML350 Bluetec, 2015 GL350 Bluetec
It sounds normal. It looks like the airmatic do some mysterious things even if you are not with the vehicle. One time i parked my 2015 GL350BTC at Home Depot and when I came out of the shop I saw the right rear completely collapsed. I started it and it pumped up normally and this never happened again.

I actually got the rear air springs replaced a few days ago when I was doing the rear brake job. The rear air springs are very easy to replace and pretty cheap. I just did mine with a pair of Arnott and it only cost me about $340 from FCPEuro and they offer lifetime replacement. Amazon also sells it for a little cheaper but warranty not as good as FCPEuro. I did it as a preventative maintenance and I found the pair on my vehicle has already been replaced once. Mine has 75k miles on the clock. So I guess if yours have more than 50k you can consider replacing them when doing the rear brake job next time.
Old 03-29-2020, 12:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 198 Likes on 177 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Maintenance is hilarious.

there is no specification for changing differential fluid, but many do so nevertheless. They have petroleum engineering backgrounds, of course.

Mercedes Airmatic is NOT a lifetime system ... which means periodic maintenance is required. Most Mercedes owners, however, wait until it fails before performing any maintenance. Often the failure of an air spring, causes failure of the air compressor too.

one probably should assume instead it’s normal maintenance to replace all air springs perhaps every 80k miles, whether there are any symptoms or not. Probably won’t see any failures then.

You are, BTW NEVER going to see a failure from not changing your differential oil (unless you’ve gotten it water contaminated)