S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Airmatic Strut inspection

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-03-2018, 09:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S430
Airmatic Strut inspection

Hello, on my 2005 S430 145k Miles I replaced the front right air-shock because the electronic damper was not working. I used a $250 eBay special and all was well for 6 month. One night I parked and the next morning I noticed the steering wheel required being turned to the left to go strait. 2 miles later the STOP too low light came on then went off. it did this for the remaining 2 miles. When I parked, the front right was bottomed and the other 3 seemed ok. Took off the wheel and the bottom of the billows was popped off. Not sure if that would cause a leak or if that happened because of driving with low pressure in it. Now it won't take air. When the pump comes on it is blowing out. The top of strut doesn't make bubbles, neither did the area around the bottom. I don't see or feel where the pressure is getting out.

All star diagnostic tests said no leaks. However, 3 struts holding around 6-8 bar except the front right holding only 1-2bar and fluctuating. So the leak has to be between the valve and the strut or in the strut itself. I'm hoping it's the supply line and not the strut.

Question:
- If the billows on the strut get's disconnected at the bottom, will that cause a leak?
- If so, can it be re-sealed?
- Is there a way to test the actual strut?

Last edited by S430man; 10-26-2018 at 06:37 AM.
Old 10-06-2018, 05:35 PM

S430
Finished inspecting the Air Suspension. I was unable to locate a leak except for the chines strut with the metal shield disconnected from the bottom. Everything else was good. I found a brand for a replacement strut that is an American Remanufacture brand named RMT or Rebuild Master Tech. They are a small business that have grown by rebuilding parts for European brands from Audi, to Mercedes to Rolls Royce. They were half the price of Arnott and give a lifetime warranty with good customer service reports. I'm going to give them a shot this time and let you know how it goes.

Last edited by S430man; 10-06-2018 at 05:43 PM.
Old 10-06-2018, 05:42 PM

S430

Noticed this was detached and just sitting there. Don't think that's supposed to be like that!

I also noticed the hose from the filter to the compressor is spit at the connection to the compressor. I know it wasn't split in Feb. Hopefully I caught it in time before moisture entered the system.

If anyone has any suggestions on easy fixes for this let me know.

Last edited by S430man; 10-06-2018 at 05:44 PM.
Old 10-06-2018, 11:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
01 s500
You could trim the line back past the crack if you have the spare length. Airbag part suppliers can get you the 1/8" line fitting or you can try to slide your existing one back down the line past the crack, trim and reattach, but the ferrule might not wanna move up the line.

shem
Old 10-08-2018, 09:43 AM

S430
Thanks for that tip. I will see if that works.

On the Valve, I'm thinking I can just try to get the rubber attachments to grab the nubs again and then zip-tie to keep it there. Any other suggestions?
Old 10-19-2018, 06:55 AM

S430
Got the airshock replaced and all is well again. Replaced the pads and rotors as well. Rides nice again!

Note to self, don't buy Chinese struts from eBay. Only lasted 6 months @ $250. The American rebuild strut looked and felt much more substantial and was about the same price with a lifetime warranty. Hoping to not need to do this job again for a long time
Old 10-25-2018, 10:35 PM

Mercedes S430 2003
Keep us in touch, I want to see if it's gonna last.

Last edited by STRGLZ; 10-25-2018 at 10:39 PM.
Old 02-27-2021, 08:16 AM

S430
Unable to get air into RF strut

Originally Posted by STRGLZ
Keep us in touch, I want to see if it's gonna last.
well here we are 2 1/2 years later and the remanufactured strut is separated at the bottom and will not take air. also, this time I got no codes and no warning of low ride height even though the front right is fully down and will not rise. All 3 other struts operate normally and all Das leak tests come back leak free.

I saw in the Wis that it says not to replace a separated strut but rather to use Das to fill the strut while holding the metal part down at the bottom to make it seal back up. however, I can’t get the strut to take air. Using Das to pressurize the RF strut it times out not making any progress and gives me an error saying that the system is not leak free. the actual values shows the RF strut having up to 6.18 bar in it when in filling mode but the shock doesn’t move. After the pump stops the pressure then settles down to 4.56 bar. When I open the line at the strut top I hear pressure release indicating the line has pressure in it.

Using soapy water shows no leaks from the valve to the strut head and no leaks around the strut bottom. Using a compressor on the strut air intake fitting didn’t work either. It’s like the valve on the strut air intake is stuck shut.

Any ideas about how to get air into the strut?

Old 03-10-2021, 07:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1999 E320, 2001 S430
Write to the people who remanufactured the strut. It's got a lifetime warranty, use it.