GLC63s, GLC63, GLC43 AMG SUV and Coupe (X253, C253) 2015 - Present

GLC 63 very jerky in shifting

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-10-2018, 12:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLC 63 very jerky in shifting

Hello all,
A new owner of a 2018 GLC 63. Had my eye on this for some time and finally pulled the trigger. Love the car but experiencing some weird shifting issues. Basically, at times in S, ECO, S+ the car will start jerking/shifting weird almost like a person learning to drive a stick shift for the first time. Will hover around 2-3k rpm and I have to let off the gas to calm it down. The dealer drove it a few times and was able to duplicate it. They basically said the car has so much torque that this is its way of keeping me safe as one of the wheels is starting to spin. Asked a few folks on FB Merc thread and few people said it's common with 21 tires and to put winter tires on. Either way, feel annoyed spending this kind of money to have this occur. Anyone else have this happen or thoughts on this?

Love everything else about this car

Old 10-10-2018, 12:54 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'18 GLC 63, '21 Model Y
There is a thread for this having to do with the GLC43s and summer tires with low temps. I've experienced it with mine (I think) as well but only when it was pretty cold - mid to low 40s.
Old 10-10-2018, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by zombie37
There is a thread for this having to do with the GLC43s and summer tires with low temps. I've experienced it with mine (I think) as well but only when it was pretty cold - mid to low 40s.
Interesting. I live in San Francisco area and temps are pretty warm still this time of year. Not sure what the think now
Old 10-10-2018, 04:39 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2019 AMG GLC 63, 2016 BMW M4 Convertible, 2015 Audi A3, 2015 Audi SQ5
Originally Posted by ellis
Hello all,
A new owner of a 2018 GLC 63. Had my eye on this for some time and finally pulled the trigger. Love the car but experiencing some weird shifting issues. Basically, at times in S, ECO, S+ the car will start jerking/shifting weird almost like a person learning to drive a stick shift for the first time. Will hover around 2-3k rpm and I have to let off the gas to calm it down. The dealer drove it a few times and was able to duplicate it. They basically said the car has so much torque that this is its way of keeping me safe as one of the wheels is starting to spin. Asked a few folks on FB Merc thread and few people said it's common with 21 tires and to put winter tires on. Either way, feel annoyed spending this kind of money to have this occur. Anyone else have this happen or thoughts on this?

I get the same thing in my M4, especially when the car is cold and in 1st gear. I've found that using a less aggressive transmission setting helps with the problem. I think its just somewhat inherent with the double clutch transmissions.
Old 10-10-2018, 09:14 PM

Received 132 Likes on 107 Posts
GLC43, GTI, X3, Mazda3
Originally Posted by ellis
Hello all,

I’ve heard of and experienced it in S+ mode on my 43, but not the other modes. Is it like a bucking back and forth? Are you past break-in? In S+ the throttle is quite sensitive and you can make this happen without realizing until you get the bucking. You can either mash back down on the throttle or upshift using the paddles and it will stop. I thought it was a defect at first, but there is a thread about it (link below) in either the C43 or C63 forum that explains. I believe the dealer can update the trans, but people claim it kinda neuters the car.

https://mbworld.org/forums/c450-c43-...g-instead.html

Last edited by Chrisk03; 10-10-2018 at 11:15 PM.
The following users liked this post:
550orm5 (02-24-2022)
Old 10-12-2018, 10:33 AM

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts
18'GLC63
I've never encountered this problem on my GLC63... Shifting on different mode is buttery smooth.
Old 10-13-2018, 12:30 PM

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
GLC 63 AMG, Jeep Trackhawk, E63s, Ferrari 488 Spyder
The car has its moments... It just wants you to slam the gas pedal to the floor
Old 05-12-2019, 05:20 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
2016 sl550
I have a 2019 GLC 63 AMG with the same issues. Not real happy about it either. And if you give it just enough pedal to where if down shifts, not floored, and you let up on the gas, it stays in that gear for at least 10 seconds before it up shifts. Not acceptable on an 85 thousand dollar car !
Think maybe the computer needs a flash or update? This is happening in Comfort mode, not the other modes. Car only has 450 miles on it.

Last edited by ultra88; 05-12-2019 at 05:42 PM. Reason: left out something
Old 05-12-2019, 06:05 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Should have bought a Macan Turbo bruh
Old 05-12-2019, 07:28 PM

2016 sl550
WTF ever....
Old 05-12-2019, 08:38 PM

Received 132 Likes on 107 Posts
GLC43, GTI, X3, Mazda3
Originally Posted by ultra88
I have a 2019 GLC 63 AMG with the same issues. Not real happy about it either. And if you give it just enough pedal to where if down shifts, not floored, and you let up on the gas, it stays in that gear for at least 10 seconds before it up shifts. Not acceptable on an 85 thousand dollar car !
Think maybe the computer needs a flash or update? This is happening in Comfort mode, not the other modes. Car only has 450 miles on it.
If happening in Comfort mode, I'd bring it up on your next dealer visit and have them give a diagnosis. Does it still do it when the trans/trans fluid is warmed up? I do get a little bit of a rough shift sometimes if the trans/fluid hasn't fully warmed, although I had my 43 out this weekend after not driving in probably 2-3 weeks and it was smooth, even more so as temps climbed. I realize a different trans, but... Set your middle section of the gauge cluster to AMG view that shows Boost, the Oil and Trans temps and monitor to see if you can come up with anything. I wouldn't think your low miles (break-in) would be an issue, but perhaps. Good luck!
Old 05-12-2019, 09:08 PM

2016 sl550
I will try that next. It doesn't seem a bad once its warmed up and if I really baby it taking off, which I shouldn't have to do. Thanks for the info.
Old 05-12-2019, 10:14 PM

2018 Mercedes GLC63S
Originally Posted by ultra88
I've had this issue on mine, they updated the transmission and carried out re-adaptions of the wet clutch. it's better and don't notice it so much when driving it in comfort but when it happens in Sport+ you have to take your foot of the accelerator briefly and it comes right.

On a side note, how do you find the tyre skipping on those tyres? I'm running Michelin pilot sport 4 and they are awful on 1/2 or full lock

Last edited by Kimers; 05-12-2019 at 10:19 PM.
Old 05-12-2019, 11:23 PM

2016 sl550
Thanks for the info. The tires aren't too bad i guess, but i do notice it. Not sure one tire is better then the rest as far as that goes. i have 20 in wheels instead of 21's so that could be part of it to. Road noise on rough surface pavement is horrible. If it weren't for those 2 things It would damn near be the perfect car.
Old 05-12-2019, 11:30 PM

2018 Mercedes GLC63S
My thoughts exactly, I'm running 21" and it looks really tricky getting replacement tyres here. Hope you get the jerking fixed or at least make it less annoying.
Old 05-14-2019, 08:52 AM

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
nothing
Originally Posted by Kimers
My thoughts exactly, I'm running 21" and it looks really tricky getting replacement tyres here. Hope you get the jerking fixed or at least make it less annoying.
I just bought a '19 GLC63 and experienced the same thing a few times this week. I noticed when I keep it in manual mode and control the shifts myself, it doesn't do it at all.
AMGSLNC (08-27-2019)
Old 05-25-2019, 10:33 AM

C63s
Originally Posted by shoe3k
I just bought a '19 GLC63 and experienced the same thing a few times this week. I noticed when I keep it in manual mode and control the shifts myself, it doesn't do it at all.
Your right. I believe if the car can start driving on second gear it will be much better.
I used to have c63s. It starts in second, and in sports model I can manually start in second, but for the 9 speed tranny I can not manually put in second when car is not moving....
shoe3k (05-25-2019)
Old 05-25-2019, 11:03 AM

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
nothing
Originally Posted by Toughen
Your right. I believe if the car can start driving on second gear it will be much better.
I used to have c63s. It starts in second, and in sports model I can manually start in second, but for the 9 speed tranny I can not manually put in second when car is not moving....
I also noticed in all modes the point of where it starts to do the "bronco" thing and it's usually between 0-15% pedal travel and then holding it until you push the accelerator more or shift manually. I literally can do this on command now and avoid it entirely, but there is definitely something that could be programmed out without neutering the driving experience.
AMGSLNC (08-27-2019)
Old 05-25-2019, 06:37 PM

2018 Mercedes GLC63S
Originally Posted by shoe3k
I also noticed in all modes the point of where it starts to do the "bronco" thing and it's usually between 0-15% pedal travel and then holding it until you push the accelerator more or shift manually. I literally can do this on command now and avoid it entirely, but there is definitely something that could be programmed out without neutering the driving experience.
I honestly think its to do with the new 9speed transmission because we also have the 2019 E63s and experience the same issues. I drove the new E53 in sport+, same issue, i think pulling off in 2nd gear like the old C63 would make such a difference because these cars just don't like the slower gears
Old 05-25-2019, 07:49 PM

My car has been jerky ever since I got it about 6 months ago.

Finally couldn't take it anymore so I took it to the dealer. The tech guy there drove it around the block and right away told me there was something wrong with it. I'm supposed to take the car back on Monday so I can get a loaner.

The car is abnormally jerky in all modes. Even when you're braking and trying to come to a stop in comfort mode, it jerks. I also noticed that if you're braking and coming to a stop and then you let your foot off the brake pedal, it also jerks.

I'm hoping they can fix it. Will report back once I get the car back.
Old 05-25-2019, 10:52 PM

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts
2019 GLC 63 SUV, 2013 SLK55
I honestly think its to do with the new 9speed transmission because we also have the 2019 E63s and experience the same issues. I drove the new E53 in sport+, same issue, i think pulling off in 2nd gear like the old C63 would make such a difference because these cars just don't like the slower gears
This is just AMG V8 DNA. My 2016 E63 did the same thing and so did almost everyone else's. MB has many strengths but their transmission tuning has always been a weakness compared to other makes.
Old 05-26-2019, 12:09 AM

2018 Mercedes GLC63S
Originally Posted by MBenz111
My car has been jerky ever since I got it about 6 months ago.

Finally couldn't take it anymore so I took it to the dealer. The tech guy there drove it around the block and right away told me there was something wrong with it. I'm supposed to take the car back on Monday so I can get a loaner.

The car is abnormally jerky in all modes. Even when you're braking and trying to come to a stop in comfort mode, it jerks. I also noticed that if you're braking and coming to a stop and then you let your foot off the brake pedal, it also jerks.

I'm hoping they can fix it. Will report back once I get the car back.
Please let me know if they find anything related to the judering when braking because i experienced it for the first time last week and they couldn't find anything wrong with mine.. it honestly frightened me when it happened. I was driving in sport+ when it first happened 😣
Old 05-27-2019, 10:25 AM

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts
GLC 63S

The ‘jerking’ motion is going to happen when someone isn’t secure in their seat. What’s happening is when you acculturate very quickly it pulls your body back in the seat which takes your foot off the gas then your body slams back in to your seat and bounces forward off the seat back from the immediate deceleration which causes your foot to press more on the gas.....it’s a repeating cycle.

Causes:
driving in race mode and not driving like a racer

fixes:
Press left leg hard to floor securing you in your seat for take off
or
press gas pedal all the way to the floor

watch a racing video (not amateur drag racing) see how a driver sits, see how you don’t sit like this; fix
Old 05-28-2019, 06:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
AMG Gt
Jerkyness went away for me once i put downpipes on the car honestly. Car shifts much smoother now. Could be the Tune, who knows.
Old 07-01-2019, 11:26 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2019 GLC AMG 63 2018 Jeep Trackhawk
I should have read about the jerking trans before I bought the car! During the test drive I did not encounter a single stop light. I did notice that the trans was not smooth on take off but the car had 35 miles on it.
I am already disgusted. The problem is worse in C mode. The problem is the shift from 1st to 2nd on gentle take off for what must be ECO reasons the trans hurries the up shift after only a few feet and then jerks into gear. It would simple if as with other M-B's, the trans would start in second gear while in C mode but you can't do it! I have a 2015 Hellcat and a 2018 Jeep Trackhawk (hellcat cat motor) both can be eased away from a traffic light without jerking like a teenager learning to use a clutch for the first time. Both pick the correct gear at the right time. I would have thought that M-B would have a fix like reflash for a second gear start.
I hope this is not the start of a new night mare. I bought this car to replace my GLA AMG 45 which had a horrible turbo lag and made city stop and go driving a royal pain. The GLC AMG does not have the turbo lag which is why I bought it for every day stop and go driving. But now I have that jerk up shift from 1 to 2 on slow take offs. Had I known this was a problem that M-B has not addressed I would not have purchased the car.
So put me down as VERY unhappy.
Toughen (07-03-2019)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GLC 63 very jerky in shifting