R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

2011 R350 won’t crank

Old 11-10-2018, 06:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 Mercedes R350
2011 R350 won’t crank

About two weeks ago when I got home I turned off my car off as usual. When I decided to leave later that evening I walked out to my car and unlock the doors and got in and my internal light came on. I was also able to turn my radio on. When I stuck the key into the ignition I was able to turn the key and all four positions but it wouldn’t crank. It didn’t make any sounds at all. I checked all my fuses and fuel supplies. I had someone try to jump my car off thinking maybe the battery was low. Nothing worked. I started looking though posts and thought maybe it was the ESL.. but that’s mostly in C Class. What could this be? I have little knowledge about cars and have no clue what to do. I’m hoping dealership is my last option. Any advice would be much appreciated.
Old 11-13-2018, 09:36 AM

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts
R320, Astro, JSW, ST4
If your dashboard/warning lights are not coming on at the Run position, this is likely:
A flaky bit of cold-soldering within the EIS module (where your keys goes)
, Or a broken coil in the key - has it been dropped many times?

Aside from dealer replacement, or DIY repair, lots of folks live with flaky EIS / workaround it by trying:
- Try to start (fail), remove key for a couple seconds then retry (succeed) - my wife swears this always works for her.
- Try to start (fail), remove for a second, manually lock the doors, retry (succeed) - my method. Resets the security system.
The EIS module stimulates an infrared signal from the key through the red aperture in the end.

From other posts I've read, the EIS issue seems to be more common in hot weather. It first surfaced for us summer before last at church.
I begged a jump-start, which seemed to fix it, but it turned out was enough delay for the retry to work.
Perhaps this time of year it was the heater warming up the dash for you?
If you have time, basic soldering skills and patience there is a good write up with pictures on this site.
I think is in the ML or GL forum.

If it is coil in the key, only key replacement will fix it.
Old 11-15-2018, 06:49 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
R350 2008 4Matic Gasoline
Most likely is your Battery dude...test it first or recharge..then try again
Old 01-18-2022, 11:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 MB R-350
I have had this issue before with our 2011 R-350, but it always ends up starting just a bit late--I call it the "Pregnant Pause." When it happened the first time, I replaced the battery since I bought our R-Class used and had no idea how old the battery was, but it has also done "pregnant pause" with the brand new battery. Fortunately, the car has always started--I end up leaving the key turned to the far right and it has always cranked and fired right up, just with the slightly worrisome delay.

It doesn't happen very often at all. I have noticed it that it most likely to happen when the car has been running for a long time, then engine shut off, followed by restart just a few minutes later (say like after stopping for gas or a quick bite on a long road trip).

Wish it didn't happen, but it occurs rarely enough and has never left us stranded so I don't worry about it. As with everything on the R, I don't get bent of shape over much anything unless the information displays tells me to be.
Old 01-18-2022, 12:03 PM

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts
R320, Astro, JSW, ST4
This one's back from the dead.
In my case, both the keys got progressively flakier over time - I know I'd dropped the primary one once or twice.
After I changed the battery in the spare key, it stopped being recognized at all.

And, since I knew if I took it to dealership the first thing they would ask was if the key is known to be good - I went ahead and ordered a new key.
Haven't seen this issue since then.
Reminds me, I probably ought to take the spare into the dealer and have them validate it / change the battery or whatever.
Old 01-18-2022, 12:54 PM

Received 91 Likes on 84 Posts
2006 R500
Originally Posted by Trampas
I have had this issue before with our 2011 R-350, but it always ends up starting just a bit late--I call it the "Pregnant Pause." When it happened the first time, I replaced the battery since I bought our R-Class used and had no idea how old the battery was, but it has also done "pregnant pause" with the brand new battery. Fortunately, the car has always started--I end up leaving the key turned to the far right and it has always cranked and fired right up, just with the slightly worrisome delay.

It doesn't happen very often at all. I have noticed it that it most likely to happen when the car has been running for a long time, then engine shut off, followed by restart just a few minutes later (say like after stopping for gas or a quick bite on a long road trip).

Wish it didn't happen, but it occurs rarely enough and has never left us stranded so I don't worry about it. As with everything on the R, I don't get bent of shape over much anything unless the information displays tells me to be.
Mine had the exact same symptoms until I replaced the starter. Now it starts every time almost immediately. Well, once in a while it'll have that pregnant pause as you call it after a short stop, but it rarely happens. If it starts getting more pronounced, look into replacing your starter. Ours got to the point where it would end up draining the battery and needing a jumpstart after a short stop.