C63/C63S AMG
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ran an 11.48@130.15mph (Eurocharged Tune Only)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-12-2018, 08:01 AM

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
2012 C63 Coupe P31 OE Tuned/ROW Airbox/K&N filters/Quaife LSD/MBH LTH, Race Cats, Midpipes, Xpipes
Ran an 11.48@130.15mph (Eurocharged Tune Only) / UPDATED with new pump gas runs

Made it out to the Capital Raceway in Crofton, MD yesterday. First time with this car, first time back at the track in years = Newb....forgot how good race gas smells, how to stage and how to launch. Ran 10 gallons Sunoco 100 octane with 6 gallons BP 93 octane. My friend had recommend to run a full tank to have weight over the rear tires to help with traction. Calculated it to be about 97 octane with that mix. Stock wheels/tires w/ MPSS with rears set to 33psi cold. I put the car in Race Mode, traction control off, race launch and sent it. Was only able to get two passes in the whole day before we had to go.

Car is a 2015 Edition 1 Sedan with stock wheels and tires, full weight, full tank of gas, stock air filters, stock downpipes with all 4 stock cats. All I did was take out my daughters baby seat and put in race gas.

Mods
-Eurocharged ECU flash
-Renntech VTA BOV adapters
-Race gas 10 gallons Sunoco 100 octane, ~6 gallons BP 93 octane = 97 Octane

FULL TANK

I'm Car 221 on the time slips, Car 220 is my buddies 2015 E63S

First pass 11.48@130.15mph
Second Pass 11.74@128.29mph

Anyone looking for a tune, I HIGHLY suggest the Eurocharged tune, spoke with the team in Houston several times and they were very patient answering all questions. Very fast turn around time flashing the ECU and sending it back. Car runs perfect, no glitches, no issues, like OEM but much much much faster and powerful. If you are in the MD/DC/VA area I recommend Infinite Speed and Performance 301-937-8008. Peter Lee, the owner is a true car guy and builds monsters out of his shop. I went with them b/c they are the authorized Eurocharged dealers in the MD/VA/DC area. He has done many Eurocharged tunes in the area and is very familiar with AMGs. He also did the work on my previous W204 C63 P31 Coupe. Been running this tune for for the past couple of months but wanted real numbers before posting. Glad I was finally able to make it out to the track today. Perfect turbo weather!!

Last edited by AMGMD; 11-26-2018 at 08:55 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by AMGMD:
KJ (11-12-2018), raudiace4 (11-12-2018)
Old 11-12-2018, 10:20 AM

Received 57 Likes on 55 Posts
2015 C63s Sedan
Great run.....looks you had good weather that day
The following users liked this post:
AMGMD (11-15-2018)
Old 11-12-2018, 11:33 AM

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts
19 E63s
Your car is a factory freak!!
AMGMD (11-15-2018)
Old 11-12-2018, 03:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 581 Likes on 334 Posts
19 E63s, 23 M3 compX, B9 SQ5
Wow finally someone who is ECU tuned only posts some times. Thanks!

That car is moving, Eurocharged is awesome had their tune on my 2014 E63.

That 130 trap speed is insane considering most stock C63s trap 120-121 at the most. Good runs!
The following 2 users liked this post by raudiace4:
AMGMD (11-15-2018), TexasBenzBandit (10-07-2019)
Old 11-12-2018, 06:55 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
E63, C63S Edition 1
I have the same car but in white! Yours looks great! Those results are awesome, makes me eager to tune mine.
AMGMD (11-15-2018)
Old 11-13-2018, 02:31 AM

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
C63 s Edition 1 Sedan
I have dp's and tune but only got an 11.6 and trap speed was 124
285 semi worn continentals
sport+ traction off... Launch control
Old 11-13-2018, 07:21 AM

Received 70 Likes on 55 Posts
2016 C63S
Curious what you thought of that setup combo when launching. And what suspension setting you used.

Ive heard from some that race mode with traction off is a lot of struggle with a) shifting when you want it to since this is not exactly a DCG with lightning paddle shifts (although apparently some cars actually shift themselves in Race mode. Other cars, like mine, will absolutely not and you must pull the paddle) and b)ever hooking up. Almost seems like the consensus is to go Sport+ with Sport handling (one press of ESC). Similarly, although some say Sport+ suspension is best to reduce wheel hop, comfort allows some squat and weight transfer. I assume I’d the track is sticky and well prepped, wheel hop can be avoided.
Old 11-13-2018, 09:15 PM

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
C63 s Edition 1 Sedan
Originally Posted by ezatnova
Curious what you thought of that setup combo when launching. And what suspension setting you used.

Ive heard from some that race mode with traction off is a lot of struggle with a) shifting when you want it to since this is not exactly a DCG with lightning paddle shifts (although apparently some cars actually shift themselves in Race mode. Other cars, like mine, will absolutely not and you must pull the paddle) and b)ever hooking up. Almost seems like the consensus is to go Sport+ with Sport handling (one press of ESC). Similarly, although some say Sport+ suspension is best to reduce wheel hop, comfort allows some squat and weight transfer. I assume I’d the track is sticky and well prepped, wheel hop can be avoided.
on a prepped surface it was almost perfect. I didn't hold the boost too long so maybe i could have gotten a better time, but i did not put it in comfort suspension. I will try that next time. I have alot of extra weight which might be slowing me down i.e sub, diffuser
Old 11-14-2018, 10:07 AM

Received 91 Likes on 68 Posts
'15 C63S
I looked up the track listed on the timeslip and also the weather that day (via Wunderground). Looks like there was a 10-20 mph tailwind that day. That easily explains the unusually high 130 mph trap speed. From other results on here, you'd expect a tune-only car to trap 126-127 mph instead.
Old 11-15-2018, 06:45 PM

2012 C63 Coupe P31 OE Tuned/ROW Airbox/K&N filters/Quaife LSD/MBH LTH, Race Cats, Midpipes, Xpipes
Originally Posted by msd3075
I looked up the track listed on the timeslip and also the weather that day (via Wunderground). Looks like there was a 10-20 mph tailwind that day. That easily explains the unusually high 130 mph trap speed. From other results on here, you'd expect a tune-only car to trap 126-127 mph instead.
Other cars that day were not running "unusually high". Car 220 on that pass/timeslip was my friend's 2015 E63s. He was just at the same track a couple weeks earlier. He was running the exact same trap speed he ran before and has had trapped 127mph there before. Same with other drivers at the track that go there regularly that came up to us and spoke with us. Everyone was pretty impressed including myself. Everyone was looking at my car and tires.

I am no quarter mile expert or some amazing driver. This was my first time at the track in years. Literally took out my daughter's baby seat, set the rear tire pressures to 33psi cold the night before, put in 10 gallons of 100 octane race gas and topped off the tank with 93 octane from BP. At the track did a small burn out, Race mode, traction control off, full stiff suspension, race start and sent it. I have a custom tune from Eurocharged and Renntech VTA's. Everything else including wheels/tires, air filters and downpipes/cats are all stock. Car is full weight and had a full tank of gas that day.

We even raced on the highway on the way home, my buddy's E63S that trapped 125mph that day vs my car that trapped 130mph. From a 65mph punch I was pulling away from him. I don't attribute that to the tailwind. The care makes power. Time slips are there 130.15mph and 128.29mph, tune only.

Last edited by AMGMD; 11-15-2018 at 06:49 PM.
Old 11-15-2018, 09:43 PM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 mercedes c400
It trapped that high because of race gas mix it makes a huge difference.
AMGMD (11-16-2018)
Old 11-15-2018, 10:21 PM

'15 C63S
Originally Posted by White C400
It trapped that high because of race gas mix it makes a huge difference.
That's making a pretty big assumption that the car/tune is adaptive enough to make additional power above the 93 octane it's tuned to run on. Not saying it's not, but there has yet to be anything on here saying our cars can adapt like that. Making that assumption basically means the tune is pulling timing on 93 octane and can adapt with higher octane, which is kinda concerning to anyone running that tune. Which I'm absolutely sure isn't the case and instead makes you think it makes no difference and something else is going on with the 130+ mph trap runs.

Last edited by msd3075; 11-15-2018 at 10:24 PM.
Old 11-16-2018, 06:55 AM

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
‘17 GT F1A E85 Monster ‘16 C63s
Tailwind wouldn’t cause several mph increase, it would add maybe .5-1mph or so. Race fuel is only going to allow maximum timing available for the tune that the ecu is programmed with, assuming iats are happy. Timing will not increase above set targets due to race fuel being present. Some tracks are just “fast” and good density altitude makes a night/day difference with boosted cars. We are in “boost season” most places and this car just seems to be making power, congrats!
AMGMD (11-16-2018)
Old 11-16-2018, 07:08 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
W205 C63s
Is your custom tune from Eurocharged different than the standard tune from them being offered? If not what changes were made? Do the VTA adapters do anything performance wise or are they there for the sound only?
Old 11-16-2018, 09:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 368 Likes on 262 Posts
2017 Porsche 911 C4
I believe it. Last week I ran 11.5 @ 127 mph with just a Dinan tune and 305 PS4S’s. I could feel the car start pulling timing in the back half of the track (4th gear especially) on every run, and I was kicking myself for not throwing in some Torco octane booster or race gas. These engines really benefit from water/meth injection or race gas to keep timing from retarding on the big end of the track. Especially as you do run after run - I always see a consistent increase in ET and lower MPH which each run. My first run is almost always my best run.

I think we’ll be seeing a lot more good tune-only times with turbo weather. It was about 50f in Central Texas when I trapped 127 last week.
AMGMD (11-16-2018)
Old 11-16-2018, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by mbfan219
Is your custom tune from Eurocharged different than the standard tune from them being offered? If not what changes were made? Do the VTA adapters do anything performance wise or are they there for the sound only?
Not sure how or what the difference is from their standard tune. VTA’s do nothing for performance just for sound.
Old 11-16-2018, 05:51 PM

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
'19 C43
That's making a pretty big assumption that the car/tune is adaptive enough to make additional power above the 93 octane it's tuned to run on. Not saying it's not, but there has yet to be anything on here saying our cars can adapt like that. Making that assumption basically means the tune is pulling timing on 93 octane and can adapt with higher octane, which is kinda concerning to anyone running that tune. Which I'm absolutely sure isn't the case and instead makes you think it makes no difference and something else is going on with the 130+ mph trap runs.
What you should have noted more than wind speed when you looked at the weather data that day was the temps: high of 44 F. That was the high, so probably in the upper 30s during his runs. Couple those low temps with the tune, and the race gas was most certainly the bigger factor here. Start getting into the 30s F, stock or tuned, and you are looking at a high initial timing advance to begin with (initial target timing is determined by IAT, post-intercooler) so it was already seeing a good timing advance, and couple that higher air-fuel density and probably hitting peak boost slightly sooner as a result, and there you go. The ECU already has timing tables for 1.5 times the stock timing under full load. As long as the fuel delivery capacity is there, race gas will always allow for more timing advance than pump 93. I have yet to see anyone maxing out the fuel trims on the stock turbos, so with the race gas added, there is where his extra power and higher traps came from.
AMGMD (11-16-2018)
Old 11-16-2018, 06:04 PM

'15 C63S
Originally Posted by GuardianVA
What you should have noted more than wind speed when you looked at the weather data that day was the temps: high of 44 F. That was the high, so probably in the upper 30s during his runs. Couple those low temps with the tune, and the race gas was most certainly the bigger factor here. Start getting into the 30s F, stock or tuned, and you are looking at a high initial timing advance to begin with (initial target timing is determined by IAT, post-intercooler) so it was already seeing a good timing advance, and couple that higher air-fuel density and probably hitting peak boost slightly sooner as a result, and there you go. The ECU already has timing tables for 1.5 times the stock timing under full load. As long as the fuel delivery capacity is there, race gas will always allow for more timing advance than pump 93. I have yet to see anyone maxing out the fuel trims on the stock turbos, so with the race gas added, there is where his extra power and higher traps came from.
Understood completely, but remember too that the denser air that allows that increase in power also increases drag on the car. You'll make more power, but you are working harder to push your way through the denser air. I dont have my Fluids notes from college in front of me right now, but that tailwind should very much help to offset the additional drag to the denser air. With those conditions, you're basically having your cake and eating it too.
Old 11-16-2018, 08:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 Porsche 911 C4
A tail wind will not have a significant affect on trap speed, and denser air certainly won't increase drag by any measurable amount (since we're not talking 1/2 mile or standing mile runs, nor are we talking 8 second 170+ MPH street cars). The benefits of denser air, lower ambient temps (near freezing), low humidity (read: low density altitude, possible even a negative DA) far outweighs any sort of drag from denser air. Add in race gas for optimal timing with no ignition retard is the reason why he trapped 129-130 MPH.

Here's my slip for reference. Temps were about 50f and I was running 93 octane. Dinan tune only and 305's on the rears. It's not a stretch to gain 2-3 MPH by adding race gas to keep the car happy on the top end.

Attachment 440782

Compare our 1/8 mile trap speeds. AMGMD trapped 99.68 vs my 98.73, just a hair under 1 mph. A clearer difference was in the back half of the track where he picked up 30.47 MPH vs my 28.39 (2.08 mph).

These cars will be in the 10's on stock turbos, it's just a matter of time. If AMGMD threw on a pair of D/R's he'd probably already be there!
AMGMD (11-16-2018)
Old 11-16-2018, 11:21 PM

'15 C63S
Originally Posted by AlexZTuned
A tail wind will not have a significant affect on trap speed, and denser air certainly won't increase drag by any measurable amount (since we're not talking 1/2 mile or standing mile runs, nor are we talking 8 second 170+ MPH street cars). The benefits of denser air, lower ambient temps (near freezing), low humidity (read: low density altitude, possible even a negative DA) far outweighs any sort of drag from denser air. Add in race gas for optimal timing with no ignition retard is the reason why he trapped 129-130 MPH.

Here's my slip for reference. Temps were about 50f and I was running 93 octane. Dinan tune only and 305's on the rears. It's not a stretch to gain 2-3 MPH by adding race gas to keep the car happy on the top end.

Compare our 1/8 mile trap speeds. AMGMD trapped 99.68 vs my 98.73, just a hair under 1 mph. A clearer difference was in the back half of the track where he picked up 30.47 MPH vs my 28.39 (2.08 mph).

These cars will be in the 10's on stock turbos, it's just a matter of time. If AMGMD threw on a pair of D/R's he'd probably already be there!
To say drag/aero/winds is negligible is incorrect. The major impediment that you're overcoming on a 1/4 mile run is the aerodynamic drag on the car. Not weight. Not rotational mass. It's aerodynamic drag. It's almost entirely what slows down you acceleration rate during your run. If it weren't for drag, you'd just keep accelerating and accelerating.

If anyone wants to crunch the numbers themselves, go look up the drag equation and also the density of air at different temperatures. It varies quite a bit. I'm not about to post my tally book chicken scratch on here, but after crunching a few numbers basically the drag force on your car at 125 mph in 30 degC air is the same as you get at 119 mph in 5 degC air. Again, not Earth shattering, but a difference that'll have a noticeable effect on your trap speed. With colder/denser air, the parachute that is your car's drag is that little much larger than it is at higher temps.

As for a headwind/tailwind, it very much has an effect on your run. The drag your car is subjected to is based on the relative velocity of the air to the car, not the ground speed of the car. If I'm going 125 mph in a 25 mph tailwind, the car is only being subjected to the equivalent of 100 mph air speed. That's a pretty significant difference. I know this is a crappy link, but it's getting late tonight and I dont feel like searching all that much more through Google links. https://www.audiworld.com/forums/s4-rs4-b5-platform-discussion-6/results-headwind-tailwind-effects-1-4-mile-times-per-shiftmaster-program-1443340/ . This is a link to someone that ran a computer program to simulate 1/4 mile runs at different headwind and tailwind speeds. I know its apples to oranges seeing as we're reaching higher speeds (more drag) but have more power (easier to overcome that drag), but it's still a demonstration of the effects of winds on performance.
Old 11-17-2018, 12:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 Porsche 911 C4
A very low or negative density altitude is 99% of the reason he trapped what he did. Low DA/below sea level = denser air = more power. Add race gas to eliminate any possibility of knock or ignition timing retard and it's a recipe for high trap speeds.

When you calculate the density altitude he ran at during the run, it's obvious that was the driving factor for the high trap speed.

Let's calculate it. He ran at Capital Raceway on 11/10/18 at a 12:48 PM.

At 12:42 PM these were the track conditions:

Track Elevation: 41 feet above sea level
Temperature: 42.8F
Barometric Presssure: 30.17 inches Hg
Relative Humidity: 39%

Density Altitude = -1276 feet

If you're running at negative 1276 feet, you're going to see higher trap speeds. This is why we see a lot of records being set at the track in October/November, the DA gets insanely good with the cooler turbo weather before the tracks close for winter.

I'm not saying drag has NO affect, I'm just saying when you look at the DA he ran in, it's hard to ignore that number.
Old 11-17-2018, 06:37 PM

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
‘17 GT F1A E85 Monster ‘16 C63s
**** -1200 da is basically glory run weather! I almost went to the track with my mustang looking for my 8 second pass today because it was -1600 da at 9:30am, but unfortunately my car wasn’t ready (drag setup) since I was gone at a wedding yesterday. No biggie since it’s only the beginning of boost weather in norcal!
Old 11-19-2018, 03:31 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
2012 C63 AMG, 1991 325iS. Ex: 2011 C63 P31
What ever happened to just saying congrats on your achievement?

Congrats OP, that is really an amazing trap speed and shows the potential of your car
Throw on some sticky rubber and get those times down!!
AMGMD (11-19-2018)
Old 11-26-2018, 09:10 PM

Wanted to see how the car runs on pump gas as I have a pump gas 93 octane tune. Ran Sunoco 93 octane full tank. I did just put on Michelin Pilot A/S 3+ stock sizing on OEM AMG split five spokes for the winter so that is a different variable also. Best ET of 11.35 seconds, best trap of 128.54mph. Weather was warmer than the previous day at the track. Came within 1.5 miles of my 130mph on the race gas mix and had my best ET ever at 11.35 seconds. I might hold the record for quickest and fastest tuned only car without downpipes (still have stock downpipes with all 4 catalytic converters and full stock exhaust, full weight, full tank of pump gas, stock air filters). Very surprised the car was able to do so well on all season tires!!! This car hauls!!! Low 11 second daily driven family car 😎👍 (Again I’m Car 221)

Last edited by AMGMD; 11-27-2018 at 07:35 PM.
Old 11-26-2018, 09:15 PM

Oh and here is a picture of the flag...it was windy that day...was driving into a headwind...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Ran an 11.48@130.15mph (Eurocharged Tune Only)