C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Swapped back to the Factory Bixenon headlights with a few mods

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-08-2018, 12:24 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
09" C63 AMG
Swapped back to the Factory Bixenon headlights with a few mods

I love the the way the aftermarket lights looked but I found a lot of reasons not to keep them. First thing I found that o don't like, was the wiring nightmare behind these lights

not to mention the factory ballast where exposed and positioned in a way to take on water. I'm not trying to pound on the last owners job, but wiring on a MB, needs to be at a certain level, or one can only utilize their vehicle when it's not raining.

well anyways you get the picture, my level of wiring expertise borders on Mil Spec, I'm that way because I imagine that what I'm installing is going to see the rigors of everyday life and weather.
so I opted to order some factory headlights from MB and fix the Eyebrows and that halogen hi beam.

12" LED strip for the Eyebrows

70mm LED hi beam from profile

custom made brackets for the hi beams, and all wiring done internally on the headlights

and some new ethed lenses

and after 4 days of 6 hours each of fabricating, wiring, and coding finally its complete
Old 12-08-2018, 12:34 PM

09" C63 AMG
I will be changing out those factory bulbs to 66147 D1S 6000k to match the High Beams
Old 12-08-2018, 03:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 123 Posts
'04 E55 (Gone but not forgotten), '13 C63 P31 (RIP), another '13 C63 PP
Love it man, those lenses are a really nice touch. Did you do your own side markers custom as well?
Old 12-08-2018, 03:17 PM

09" C63 AMG
Originally Posted by G_Money
Love it man, those lenses are a really nice touch. Did you do your own side markers custom as well?
Yes I wrapped them in Carbon fiber from Luxe, to match all the Carbon on the front. They are a aftermarket version that has amber colored LED's
Old 12-09-2018, 10:36 AM

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts
2014 C63 AMG 507 sedan
Great job! I agree, the OEM+ looks better.
Old 12-09-2018, 11:18 AM

09" C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Thrilla
Great job! I agree, the OEM+ looks better.
thanks I agree
Old 12-09-2018, 06:23 PM

Received 103 Likes on 79 Posts
2009 C63 AMG, 2010 C250 4Matic Sport
This is awesome because you've literally done both of my cars retrofits but in one set of headlights instead of two Does the housing interfere with the light output of the high beams at all?

Last edited by Funkwagen; 12-09-2018 at 06:36 PM.
Old 12-09-2018, 06:46 PM

09" C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Funkwagen
This is awesome because you've literally done both of my cars retrofits but in one set of headlights instead of two Does the housing interfere with the light output of the high beams at all?

Thanks man, I actually took inspiration from one of your retrofits, and Jptaylor, plus when I made the brackets I accounted for the auto level feature, so no interference, and no shroud interference, was trial to get the brackets made with the proper Alignment.
The following users liked this post:
Funkwagen (12-12-2018)
Old 12-09-2018, 06:50 PM

09" C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Funkwagen

Those high beams should be called lasers, the focal point is literally a spot.
Old 12-10-2018, 11:05 AM

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts
2009 C63 P30, 2008 Grand Cherokee SRT8(RIP)
Originally Posted by Shortround
Thanks man, I actually took inspiration from one of your retrofits, and Jptaylor, plus when I made the brackets I accounted for the auto level feature, so no interference, and no shroud interference, was trial to get the brackets made with the proper Alignment.
They look great!!!! Got a couple of questques though...I see you made a bracket for the Hi Lens, could you not have mounted the Hi Lens in the OEM hi beam by trimming it down to very little bowl and using the H7 mount so that alignment and aim were dead on??? Also, how is the output of these once installed and 2 plastic lenses between the LEDs and the road? I sent Lightwerks a spare hi beam reflector from one of my mock up lights and asked them to test the hi lense vs a quality LED bulb. They used an SL-1(at the time I was using Opt7) and said that the SL-1 put dramatically more lumens down field than the Hi Lens. But they were also testing without a lens covering the beams. I have been on the fence about picking up a set of Hi Lens(you can get them from Alibaba now for around $45) as I really like the concept and the look but do NOT want to lose output. Again, GREAT job!!!
Old 12-10-2018, 05:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 540 Likes on 477 Posts
2010 C300 4MATIC........ 2011 C63 AMG.............. 2015 CLS400 4MATIC.....
Nice job, didn't know those headlights had so much wiring behind them...

I was also gonna say you literally did funks setup but you figured that out lol
​​​​​​
you have the eyelids as signals?
Are they bright enough to be DRL's now?
Possible to do with oem headlights without baking?
Old 12-10-2018, 08:13 PM

09" C63 AMG
Originally Posted by jptaylor
They look great!!!! Got a couple of questques though...I see you made a bracket for the Hi Lens, could you not have mounted the Hi Lens in the OEM hi beam by trimming it down to very little bowl and using the H7 mount so that alignment and aim were dead on??? Also, how is the output of these once installed and 2 plastic lenses between the LEDs and the road? I sent Lightwerks a spare hi beam reflector from one of my mock up lights and asked them to test the hi lense vs a quality LED bulb. They used an SL-1(at the time I was using Opt7) and said that the SL-1 put dramatically more lumens down field than the Hi Lens. But they were also testing without a lens covering the beams. I have been on the fence about picking up a set of Hi Lens(you can get them from Alibaba now for around $45) as I really like the concept and the look but do NOT want to lose output. Again, GREAT job!!!
They look pretty bright to me when I stand in front to see, and when on the road and the garage door. The bulbs that came with the headlights were a warm 4200K so you could see the difference in the beam pattern on the wall. The original reflectors don't have enough material to trim, to fit these hi beams. So cutting them of their mount was necessary, reusing the mounts help for the alignment quite a bit, just some small adjustments needed while projecting them on a wall with the brackets assembled and mounted to the low beam.
Also the brackets are necessary for the auto level fuction, I needed about 1/4" of clearance to allow for the full sweep of the lenses.

Last edited by Shortround; 12-10-2018 at 08:21 PM. Reason: Miss type
Old 12-10-2018, 08:16 PM

09" C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Adi-Benz
Nice job, didn't know those headlights had so much wiring behind them...

I was also gonna say you literally did funks setup but you figured that out lol
​​​​​​
you have the eyelids as signals?
Are they bright enough to be DRL's now?
Possible to do with oem headlights without baking?
I used a LED strip from Profile Pivot, the are switch backs, so they have the normal function, plus switch to a blinker for the turn signal and hazards.
I purchased all the headlight mods from theretrofitsource.com
Old 12-11-2018, 10:18 PM

Received 103 Likes on 79 Posts
2009 C63 AMG, 2010 C250 4Matic Sport
Really glad the post I made helped/gave you some ideas! I like how clean/simple the mount you made for the hi-lens is. I like them a lot on my C250 and if I don't end up doing quad bi-xenon on the C63 this winter, I'll be replacing the high beam projectors with them. I'm glad the autolevel design in these headlights is fairly easy to work with
Old 12-12-2018, 04:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 540 Likes on 477 Posts
2010 C300 4MATIC........ 2011 C63 AMG.............. 2015 CLS400 4MATIC.....
I used a LED strip from Profile Pivot, the are switch backs, so they have the normal function, plus switch to a blinker for the turn signal and hazards.
I purchased all the headlight mods from theretrofitsource.com
I've been trying to find an led strip with t10 connector to replace the eyelids. Impossible to find lol.

How is the wiring for it?
Old 12-19-2018, 03:34 PM

09" C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Adi-Benz
I've been trying to find an led strip with t10 connector to replace the eyelids. Impossible to find lol.

How is the wiring for it?
it was easy, I used a T10 connection from theretrofitsource.com for 2 of the wires, and spliced the 3rd to the blinker in the headlight internal wiring. Mainly just wanted to have the option of disconnecting the strip if I wanted to, without have to pull the headlights apart.