W212 AMG Discuss the W212 AMG's such as the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions needed. Which tune (M157) - OE or EuroCharged?

Old 12-17-2018, 09:17 PM

Received 154 Likes on 111 Posts
CLS 63 and M4
Opinions needed. Which tune (M157) - OE or EuroCharged?

Im not even sure I should tune an engine with close to 70k miles on the clock....but....tis the season!!! I figured I'd give myself a Christmas present...since both tunes are on sale...and perk up the engine a bit. So which should I choose? Does anyone actually have the OE tune? Anybody have experience with the EC tune?

all opinions are greatly appreciated...
Old 12-17-2018, 11:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
E 320
Talking

Originally Posted by 1MavRick
Im not even sure I should tune an engine with close to 70k miles on the clock....but....tis the season!!! I figured I'd give myself a Christmas present...since both tunes are on sale...and perk up the engine a bit. So which should I choose? Does anyone actually have the OE tune? Anybody have experience with the EC tune?

Get an oil change, change the spark plugs, do transmission fluid and rear diff if they are all due soon.

If you are going with stage 2, then you'll def need to upgrade your spark plugs.

I had recently done a major service and I didn't wanna change the plugs again, so I opted for Stage 1 Eurocharged.
Catted was 619 whp and 680 wtq. De-catted was a bit lower top end, but mid ranger picked up a nice 10-20 throughout.

Car def woke up with Stage 1 and cat deleted. You will not regret it.

If you go stage 2, remember that once your car gets to 800 rwtq then your transmission might start slipping.

ps. Do NOT get the burble tune!

Iron Sheik
The following 3 users liked this post by Iron Sheik:
CerBErusM113 (12-18-2018), cl500 probs (03-03-2021), cotmfk (07-30-2020)
Old 12-17-2018, 11:27 PM

CLS 63 and M4
Originally Posted by Iron Sheik
Get an oil change, change the spark plugs, do transmission fluid and rear diff if they are all due soon.

If you are going with stage 2, then you'll def need to upgrade your spark plugs.

I had recently done a major service and I didn't wanna change the plugs again, so I opted for Stage 1 Eurocharged.
Catted was 619 whp and 680 wtq. De-catted was a bit lower top end, but mid ranger picked up a nice 10-20 throughout.

If you go stage 2, remember that once your car gets to 800 rwtq then your transmission might start slipping.

Iron Sheik
exactly the tips i was looking for. its time for the 'tune up' and i was going to wait for the tune because i thought that they all needed colder plugs. good to know that they arent necessary with 'regular' tunes. i'll go ahead and get that done. honestly...600+/600+ is about the practical limit that i'd want in a daily, 4 door car. until, of course, i've gotten used to it.

i hate loving cars so much....

thanx!!!
Old 12-18-2018, 12:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E 320
exactly the tips i was looking for. its time for the 'tune up' and i was going to wait for the tune because i thought that they all needed colder plugs. good to know that they arent necessary with 'regular' tunes. i'll go ahead and get that done. honestly...600+/600+ is about the practical limit that i'd want in a daily, 4 door car. until, of course, i've gotten used to it.

i hate loving cars so much....

thanx!!!
You are welcome!

I got told that if I start misfiring then I will need to upgrade the plugs. My car's plugs got changed 7K km ago (roughly 4.3k miles) I only use 94 Octane here in Canada!
Stage 1 and cat delete def woke up the car (power and sounds wise)! My brother took my car for a drive and his face was priceless!!

Vlad was very helpful from Eurocharged in Toronto! Very patient and answered all questions I asked honestly. So I am only passing on info he told me.
I am sure he lurks these forums, so if he is around, he can chime in

Car spins in colder weather on highway. Car's not a joke!

Do the proper maintenance. Change oil every 3K Miles (or 5K km), don't beat the car up 24/7 and it shall be fine

There are other forum members on here that had their cars tuned by Eurocharged, especially in Canada. They can give their experience in here as well.

Iron Sheik
Old 12-18-2018, 12:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 170 Likes on 118 Posts
E63 SL55 996TT C5Z06

these m157 motors are amazing, not too late to tune it!!

if you live near a reputable major tuner who can dyno tune your car that would be your best bet. If not, many tuners offer an option to send your ECU (original ECU or back up 2nd ECU) in to them to flash tune and ship back to you. YOu may need to send the ECU back and forth a few times for the tuner to work out any issues which on a Dyno tune they can do in real time. but for major reputable tuners like AMS and Renntech who have tuned numerous M157 motors you should be in good hands and amazed with the added power you have. am sure the crew here will give you other feedback as well..... i will say, even stock this car is unbelievable!!!!
Old 12-18-2018, 01:36 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 e63s amg

Iron Sheik
Curious, why not?
Old 12-18-2018, 01:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E 320
Originally Posted by bucktown
Curious, why not?
I believe it clogs your cats. Vlad dynoed my car initially and the cats were clogged as hell. On the 2nd run, the car made around 25 whp more.
If you are catless, then you shouldn't have this issue.

Another thing you need to think about is how loud the car can and will get when you add a burble feature on top of being catless.

I liked and enjoyed the burble sound effect, but after I deleted the cats, the car was unbelievably loud and unbearable. Had to turn the burble feature off.
Catless sound with windows down is music to my ears =D

Iron Sheik

Old 12-18-2018, 03:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 193 Likes on 111 Posts
E63s AMG

Iron Sheik
I wonder if stage 2 is worth the extra money since you have to replace spark plugs and may require more frequent maintenance. Cost wise is it worth stage 2?
Old 12-18-2018, 09:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E 320
Originally Posted by Ed99

I wonder if stage 2 is worth the extra money since you have to replace spark plugs and may require more frequent maintenance. Cost wise is it worth stage 2?
It's an extra $500 for stage 2 tune and around $450 for spark plugs and labour? You're looking at roughly another $1K (canadian)!
Honestly, I am extremely happy with stage 1! I don't wanna jeopardize the reliability of the car! Hovering around 620 whp and almost 700 wtq is more than you need for daily driving!

Iron Sheik
Old 12-18-2018, 09:10 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,883 Likes on 1,320 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
If you are just daily driving and don't often get into the powerband or wot, you'll have less wear and tear on the engine

that being said ... this is an e63.....sooooo
The following users liked this post:
cotmfk (07-30-2020)
Old 12-18-2018, 10:31 AM

CLS 63 and M4
It's an extra $500 for stage 2 tune and around $450 for spark plugs and labour? You're looking at roughly another $1K (canadian)!
Honestly, I am extremely happy with stage 1! I don't wanna jeopardize the reliability of the car! Hovering around 620 whp and almost 700 wtq is more than you need for daily driving!

Iron Sheik
EC has Stages 1 and 2 on sale for $1299 til the end of the year. But I think 2 might be a bit much for my application.
Old 12-18-2018, 10:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E 320

EC has Stages 1 and 2 on sale for $1299 til the end of the year. But I think 2 might be a bit much for my application.
You guys are luckier in the states. It's a little more for us Canadians!
Stage 2 will obviously be quicker/faster, but more stress on tranny (slippage) and engine in the long term.
If your car is 2014+ then get the stage 1 and call it a day. That's my personal opinion.
Other people with either/or stage 1 or 2 are more than welcome to put their 2 cents in if they're reading this.

Iron Sheik
Old 12-18-2018, 10:39 AM

CLS 63 and M4
You guys are luckier in the states. It's a little more for us Canadians!
Stage 2 will obviously be quicker/faster, but more stress on tranny (slippage) and engine in the long term.
If your car is 2014+ then get the stage 1 and call it a day. That's my personal opinion.
Other people with either/or stage 1 or 2 are more than welcome to put their 2 cents in if they're reading this.

Iron Sheik
sincerely appreciate the words of experience. Me and @CLS63Matt need to get the W218 forums jumpin. Til then, I’ll be picking yall’s brains, over here.
Old 12-18-2018, 10:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E 320

sincerely appreciate the words of experience. Me and @CLS63Matt need to get the W218 forums jumpin. Til then, I’ll be picking yall’s brains, over here.
You're welcome.

Go with whoever is more local to you. So if you need to get anything sorted out, they'll be right there to help you.
Eurocharged is an hour and 15 min away. So that's as local as anyone will get to me lol

Iron Sheik
Old 12-18-2018, 11:05 AM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
2012 CLS63 AMG stock (For now)

Renntech is good and very expensive. Check out Alpha performance (You know the guys who run 2000Hp GTRs) @ https://alphaperformance.com/calibra...o-calibration/ . For $2400, you get 700hp and 830lbft torque. I know people have mentioned reliability when you get these tunes due to more wear and tear on the motor. However, I don't think we intend to race these cars or put a beatdown on the car (only once in a while when we need to burn some corvettes or GTRs lol). So I think we should be fine on that regard.
Old 12-18-2018, 11:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 198 Likes on 137 Posts
2015 E63s AMG, 2020 GLC 43 AMG
AMS man! PM MBmastertech with his thoughts on Eurocharged. Not certain he is correct. However, he seems to know what he is talking about. Also, remember that you only need to be local if you are getting other work done by the tuner besides an ECU tune. Yes, being local means they can dyno tune it and works out wrinkles earlier on. But AMS for example certainly can remote tune your ECU. Also, you should invest $350 to $600 on a second ECU if you go the remote route. This way, if you need to send it back for a tweak, you are not without your car.

As far as discounts/sales and such, trust me that AMS will match pricing from any of these other guys. Not that I have ever had a tuned ECU or plan on getting one.

Good Luck
Old 12-18-2018, 11:37 AM

2016 - E63 AMGS
I believe it clogs your cats. Vlad dynoed my car initially and the cats were clogged as hell. On the 2nd run, the car made around 25 whp more.
If you are catless, then you shouldn't have this issue.

Another thing you need to think about is how loud the car can and will get when you add a burble feature on top of being catless.

I liked and enjoyed the burble sound effect, but after I deleted the cats, the car was unbelievably loud and unbearable. Had to turn the burble feature off.
Catless sound with windows down is music to my ears =D

Iron Sheik
So is your car catless with downpipes? if so where did you get them from? i got the EC stage 2 tune on my car since last April, and i absolutely love it!
Old 12-18-2018, 11:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E 320
Originally Posted by Ajay_B
So is your car catless with downpipes? if so where did you get them from? i got the EC stage 2 tune on my car since last April, and i absolutely love it!
I got the guys at Eurocharged to delete my cats and retune for it. I don't have downpipes, just did a cat delete. Car's quite a bit louder when it's cold start and sounds nicer when you get on it.

Iron Sheik
Old 12-18-2018, 11:56 AM

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
2012 CLS 63
I have a burble tune and i definitely think my cats are clogged... oh well time to get rid of those restrictive *******s
Old 12-18-2018, 12:00 PM

2016 - E63 AMGS
I got the guys at Eurocharged to delete my cats and retune for it. I don't have downpipes, just did a cat delete. Car's quite a bit louder when it's cold start and sounds nicer when you get on it.

Iron Sheik
How much did they charge you to do the cat delete?
Old 12-18-2018, 12:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E 320
Originally Posted by Ajay_B
How much did they charge you to do the cat delete?
$880. 8 hours of labour? I was told that from other members before I got it done.

And AMGboy, definitely delete your cats if you have the burble feature. You are not getting the full performance of your car.
My car woke up after the cat delete. It was breathing better.

Iron Sheik
The following 2 users liked this post by Iron Sheik:
amgboy916 (12-18-2018), Senanfouad (02-22-2019)
Old 12-18-2018, 12:08 PM

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
2014 E63S AMG
Originally Posted by Vrodman
AMS man! PM MBmastertech with his thoughts on Eurocharged. Not certain he is correct. However, he seems to know what he is talking about. Also, remember that you only need to be local if you are getting other work done by the tuner besides an ECU tune. Yes, being local means they can dyno tune it and works out wrinkles earlier on. But AMS for example certainly can remote tune your ECU. Also, you should invest $350 to $600 on a second ECU if you go the remote route. This way, if you need to send it back for a tweak, you are not without your car.

As far as discounts/sales and such, trust me that AMS will match pricing from any of these other guys. Not that I have ever had a tuned ECU or plan on getting one.

Good Luck
To save people time, here is the post he's likely referencing.

On the topic of tunes/modifications, if I had to rate the best companies that will keep you away from major problems: AMS performance is definitely the best. They go way deeper into the ecu than anyone else that I've seen. They don't just raise the boost and torque limits, they actually change things like the intercooler pump parameters, and safety/limp mode operations and triggers. Eurocharged is great too. Renntech is absolutely terrible. I've actually flashed out countless tunes from them because of horrible driveability problems, they almost never make the power they say it should. I've seen more than one e63s pulling timing because of 180F charge air temps. Horrible horrible horrible!
Old 12-18-2018, 12:27 PM
SPONSOR

Location: Houston/ Austin /Toronto / UAE / Minneapolis / Orlando /Cincinnati
Received 148 Likes on 108 Posts
Eurocharged Performance ML63 and TT lambo
We can actually tune your car from the comfort of home and give you a handheld to keep that allows ya to swap between file whenever ya want

we also have a motor protection warranty, have done over 25,000 cars, and have locations all over the world to better serve our clients!
Old 12-18-2018, 12:30 PM

2016 - E63 AMGS
$880. 8 hours of labour? I was told that from other members before I got it done.

And AMGboy, definitely delete your cats if you have the burble feature. You are not getting the full performance of your car.
My car woke up after the cat delete. It was breathing better.

Iron Sheik
Did you take any before and after pick from underneath? just curious on how it looks and if a dealership would say anything.
Old 12-18-2018, 01:30 PM

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
2012 CLS 63
I am running a stage 1 catted tune. would it be a bad idea to delete the cats and add an 02 spacer without getting a retune? or is the retune mandatory?

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Opinions needed. Which tune (M157) - OE or EuroCharged?