E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Snow 4matic

Old 01-14-2019, 09:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 604 Likes on 380 Posts
2014 E350 4-matic Sport & 2020 GLS450
Snow 4matic

Had about a foot of snow here in the western burbs of DC this past weekend. Took the MB out in it with about 5-6 on the ground just out of curiosity and to exercise the AWD system. My conclusion? Man, what an awesome system! It wouldn’t let me get the back to kick out more than say 45 degrees while steering into the slide (empty parking lot). Really never once felt like I was loosing control of the car at any point. From a dead stop, would floor it and it’d spin the wheels just enough to be fun before the stability controls would kick in to keep it safe. I’ve had a Subaru and two Toyota SUV’s, all very good here, but this Benz with its version of AWD is easily by far my favorite in normal living and driving conditions. The confidence factor is probably its most dangerous aspect, as it gives you too much. Saw on the local news of a guy in the ditch with his GL450 via a snowy road. I can guess he had too much confidence before realizing only so much any car can do when it’s slick out.

I have the continental tires on mine, 18’ AMG wheels (sport package sedan).

Correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t this setup a pure 50/50 power disbursement from front to back? Not a fluctuating system that is bias towards one or the other most of the time?

Last edited by nc211; 01-14-2019 at 10:10 PM.
Old 01-14-2019, 11:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E350
I drove 5000 miles from east to west.
Went through CO, UT, WY and MT.
No problem at all.
It was a big scary driving from West YellowStone to Bozeman, where road was not cleared of snow and ice, but in general 4matic was very useful in snow.
The car has all season tire.
Old 01-14-2019, 11:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 315 Likes on 243 Posts
2012 E550 v8-Biturbo
Originally Posted by nc211
My conclusion? Man, what an awesome system!

Good to hear. While I haven't had it in snow that deep, it's performed well for me in the snow too.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:51 AM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
2014 Mercedes Benz E350 Sport 4matic

Correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t this setup a pure 50/50 power disbursement from front to back? Not a fluctuating system that is bias towards one or the other most of the time?

I have the same car as you here in NY, except I dumped the Continentals for Pirelli P Zero Neros which are a worlds better tire in every way, the stock Contis are junk. That said with either tire my car is an absolute monster in the snow I've driven through over 6 inches unplowed without a problem, goes right through it like its not there. Stops well as well.

As for the AWD system I believe its variable and still rear biased but can do up to 50/50
Old 01-15-2019, 10:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,614 Likes on 1,185 Posts
2014 E550-sold 😩
It really is an elite 4WD system, that has a minor impact on mpg, while turning the car into an unstoppable beast in rain and snow.

https://media.daimler.com/marsMediaS...ml?oid=9904309
Old 01-15-2019, 06:48 PM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
'11 E350 4Matic Sport
It’s 45% Front and 55% Rear as default, I understand this 3rd gen system can route up to 70% to either axle.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I think our version is spot on perfect for whatever the situation may be. This car handles better than my GTI and I believe it has a lot to do with the AWD setup, the front pulls the front, the back pushes the back. I’m not a fan of systems that have a wide power disbursement range from front to back. Makes the car feel confused and not naturally balanced. Doesn’t surprise me the new version goes wider than ours. I think that speaks to the increased gadgetry of the new E series in general, which I personally think is a mistake for Mercedes Benz to be doing for this model.

My favorite button in mine, is the one I’ve set that turns off the infotainment screen. At night, it’s amazing how much more enjoyable the car is to drive with a dark dashboard instead of a tv screen in your face and lighting up your cabin. Press it to see what you need to see for a second, press it to turn it off and enjoy the ride and tunes - old school. I love it!
Old 01-15-2019, 09:15 PM

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts
2013 E550 4MATIC - P1, P2, SPORT
My favorite button in mine, is the one I’ve set that turns off the infotainment screen. At night, it’s amazing how much more enjoyable the car is to drive with a dark dashboard instead of a tv screen in your face and lighting up your cabin. Press it to see what you need to see for a second, press it to turn it off and enjoy the ride and tunes - old school. I love it!
That sounds amazing. I'll have to do that.

On topic, it's been raining down here the last few days and this car just zips through the rain like it's not even there. Gott'a be a little careful of standing water... but only a little.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

When I've had people in the car with me and turn it off, they’re amazed and wish they could do the same in their car too without turning off the stereo or navigation voice. It just makes it that much more of a peaceful and luxurious place to be. Funny sometimes, how the old ways seem better than the new. You’ll notice how handsome the interior lighting really is once that thing isn’t shining in your face. You might notice and get to see the stars in the sky for a change!

Last edited by nc211; 01-15-2019 at 09:53 PM.
Old 01-16-2019, 02:38 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2016 E250 4-Matic
"My favorite button in mine, is the one I’ve set that turns off the infotainment screen. At night, it’s amazing how much more enjoyable the car is to drive with a dark dashboard instead of a tv screen in your face and lighting up your cabin."

Had this in all my Saabs since 1993. It greatly reduces eye strain at night. Saab first called it "black panel" and later, "night panel". In their version, only a partial speedometer was visible in that mode. More speedometer was revealed as speed increased. Warning lights popped up normally.
Old 01-16-2019, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by MarcF
Had this in all my Saabs since 1993. It greatly reduces eye strain at night. Saab first called it "black panel" and later, "night panel". In their version, only a partial speedometer was visible in that mode. More speedometer was revealed as speed increased. Warning lights popped up normally.
To be fair I could turn down the dash lights on my 93 Civic too. =P But there's a difference between the dash and the big bright annoying COMAND/Infotainment/whatever console.
Old 01-16-2019, 05:45 PM

2016 E250 4-Matic
Point taken, but there really is no comparison between turning down your dash lights on your '93 Civic and the "night panel" on the Saab that functioned nearly identically to the current MB. My point was that this was a Saab innovation, not MB. It was derived from their aerospace heritage. We are now benefitting from that decades-old insight.
Old 01-16-2019, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by MarcF
Point taken, but there really is no comparison between turning down your dash lights on your '93 Civic and the "night panel" on the Saab that functioned nearly identically to the current MB. My point was that this was a Saab innovation, not MB. It was derived from their aerospace heritage. We are now benefitting from that decades-old insight.
So it sounds like Saab was ahead of its time, but no one claimed it was innovative. He said it was his favorite button. It can't be his favorite button in his Saab if he never had one (and most people never have...), right?
Old 01-16-2019, 06:08 PM

2016 E250 4-Matic
I was merely adding information to the thread (i.e., not arguing or disagreeing). I thought I was just providing some insight into the origin of his favorite feature. You...???.
Old 01-16-2019, 10:20 PM

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Mine: 2014 E550 4matic; Hers: 2016 CLS 400 4matic
Yeah the 4matic is awesome. My wife never had a problem in the snow with her 2008 E350 4matic, my E550 4 magic is the same - not sure how her CLS400 4matic will do.
Old 01-17-2019, 08:08 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2016 E350 4Matic
Had about a foot of snow here in the western burbs of DC this past weekend. Took the MB out in it with about 5-6 on the ground just out of curiosity and to exercise the AWD system. My conclusion? Man, what an awesome system! It wouldn’t let me get the back to kick out more than say 45 degrees while steering into the slide (empty parking lot). Really never once felt like I was loosing control of the car at any point. From a dead stop, would floor it and it’d spin the wheels just enough to be fun before the stability controls would kick in to keep it safe. I’ve had a Subaru and two Toyota SUV’s, all very good here, but this Benz with its version of AWD is easily by far my favorite in normal living and driving conditions. The confidence factor is probably its most dangerous aspect, as it gives you too much. Saw on the local news of a guy in the ditch with his GL450 via a snowy road. I can guess he had too much confidence before realizing only so much any car can do when it’s slick out.

Hey I live in NoVA too and had the same experience - VERY happy with how the car handled. I too have the AMG wheels and Conti tires. The tires are a huge part of it, my buddy has the same car with Pirellis and they are really bad. I have always been a huge fan of Conti's.
The following users liked this post:
KEY08 (01-17-2019)
Old 01-17-2019, 02:10 PM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
2002 C32AMG
Impressive review for all season tires
Old 01-17-2019, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by BillyT293
Hey I live in NoVA too and had the same experience - VERY happy with how the car handled. I too have the AMG wheels and Conti tires. The tires are a huge part of it, my buddy has the same car with Pirellis and they are really bad. I have always been a huge fan of Conti's.
Must have had summer tires, because I put a new set of P Zero Neros on to replace the garbage Contis that like to get bubbles in the sidewall if you fart in their general direction and they are better in the snow than the Contis, and don't bubble ever.
Old 01-17-2019, 03:09 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2016 E350 4Matic
Originally Posted by Rogue Leader
Must have had summer tires, because I put a new set of P Zero Neros on to replace the garbage Contis that like to get bubbles in the sidewall if you fart in their general direction and they are better in the snow than the Contis, and don't bubble ever.
No, have the OEM all-season Continentals. I love them, dry and wet they have been great and no bubbles or any other issues after farting near them. Anecdotes are funny like that - one person's good or bad experience does not make it a rule.

Sorry the Continental tires were bad for you...happy you are happy with your choice.
Old 01-17-2019, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by BillyT293
No, have the OEM all-season Continentals. I love them, dry and wet they have been great and no bubbles or any other issues after farting near them. Anecdotes are funny like that - one person's good or bad experience does not make it a rule.

Sorry the Continental tires were bad for you...happy you are happy with your choice.
Dry and wet traction they were fine, went through the snow fine as well. The Pirellis which your friend said are bad, are just a bit better. So my anecdote and your anecdote negate eachother I'd say.

Trust me I didn't want to put a brand new set of tires on the car with only 20k miles on it at the time, but I had already replaced 1 when 2 more got bubbles and a 3rd got a hole from a pothole (not completely the tire's fault). I do live in NY where the roads suck which doesn't help. Meanwhile when I bought the car two friends of mine whom are Mercedes master techs both told me to go out and replace the tires with something else right away. I said "no way, they can't be that bad", then I did and they said "I told you". Theres a reason they sell so many wheel/tire warranties on these things.

The Conti's on my wife's GLE have been perfectly fine, no problems, despite her hitting a couple curbs and potholes.
Old 01-17-2019, 03:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,614 Likes on 1,185 Posts
2014 E550-sold 😩
Continental produces many varieties of tires sold directly through Discount stores and other outlets. "DWS", "Extreme", "Pro", "Contact". You get the idea. Some are better constructed than others. I have luck with the ContiPro Contact series for the E class. HOWEVER, I just hit a monster pot hole on my recent trip to Florida and am now sporting a nice bubble in the sidewall. So there you go. I only use the A/S conti tires in the winter. I have a completely different wheel and tire for summer.
I'm still driving around on the bubble, hoping it blows up. Lol