Sponsored by:

Multiple headlamp messages

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-16-2019, 04:55 PM

Received 281 Likes on 219 Posts
E63S
Multiple headlamp messages

The car is a '14 E63S. Got it with a tad under 30K in Sept of '17 and it is now at 32.7K. "Mods": KW HAS, Wheels and tires and AFE filters.

As you can see based on the car's mileage, I barely drive this thing. And when I do, it's 99% during the day. I was out with the wife in the E63 last night. Drove her to Staples and waited for her in the car (left car running). ~5mins go by I decide to turn off the headlights by turning the headlamp control knob and left the car running. Wife gets out of the store and I flash with the high beams 2-3X's to let her know where I was in the lot. I turned the headlight control knob back to auto and off we drove. ~3 mins later, I started to get the following messages:
-Active Headlamp Inoperative
-Check Left Low Beam
-Check Front Right Side Marker Lamp
-Check Front Right Parking Lamp
Got to our destination. Powered down the car. Went to dinner (~1.5hrs). Started the car. All messages came back. All items on checklist are actually happening (I have read posts concerning headlamp malfunctions where the lights were actually still working even when of the message popped up). High Beams are completely not working (In Auto or ON).

Started the car this morning and messages still there. Drove for a ~20mins and I decided to play with the light settings a bit after I parked. I turned off the DRLs and the Right High Beam came back. Turned off car. 15mins later drove again and two new messages pop up:
-Check Right Daytime Running Light
-Adaptive Highbeam Assist Inoperative

I have to say, I am very certain this was the first time I ever turned the headlamp control knob (and this is what I get). I have been google re-searching this issue and haven't found anything like this (I must be special). I don't suppose it's a fuse (cuz I'd think that if it were, both headlamps would have the same symptoms...) Also read there could be headlamp malfunctions if there is debris blocking the sensors on the windshield and the car is clean. I have charged the battery (main) with a trickle charger various times and it has shown it's at 12V and 100% charged every time. What else can this be? The actual headlamps (both) breaking down at the same time?? Last thing I did was to disconnect the negative terminal off the battery... I will leave it as is til tomorrow and see what cooks. Anyone on here got any ideas? Sorry for the long post.
Old 02-16-2019, 05:09 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,323 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
I take it you read this already? (See link)
I would check the fuses again.
agreed that it's weird that both motors in headlamps died at same time

https://www.youcanic.com/solution/me...em-inoperative
Old 02-16-2019, 05:12 PM

E63S
Originally Posted by PeterUbers
I take it you read this already? (See link)
I would check the fuses again.
agreed that it's weird that both motors in headlamps died at same time

https://www.youcanic.com/solution/me...em-inoperative
Yeah. That was one of the first articles I came across. I will try the fuses should this reset not fix things. Thanks.
Old 02-16-2019, 08:32 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by Rehabguy
Yeah. That was one of the first articles I came across. I will try the fuses should this reset not fix things. Thanks.
when had a weird myriad of errors like this it turned out to be a bad wiring harness and was easily remedied by the dealer
Old 02-16-2019, 09:38 PM

E63S

when had a weird myriad of errors like this it turned out to be a bad wiring harness and was easily remedied by the dealer
I hate taking my car to the dealers.... but it seems like it'll have to come down to that... Crossing my fingers for some good news tomorrow.
Old 02-17-2019, 03:49 AM

Received 50 Likes on 40 Posts
993 cab, 2014 E63 AMG 4matic T
Had some of those messages on my 2014 as well. Over a period of 6 months, I had to have both units replaced. The first light developed a short in the ecu which damaged the pcb of the blinker leads. Since the housing is sealed, there's no fixing single components inside. New headlight was 2800 euros installed and calibrated. Dealer covered 50%.
The 2nd headlight also developed a short in the ecu but this time it was a leaking dessicant bag which is supposed to keep the lense from fogging up. Cost of replacement was covered by the dealer because they fugged up.
I hope you have better luck on your problems.
Ed
Old 02-17-2019, 08:49 AM

Received 167 Likes on 114 Posts
2016 E63 Wagon
Related but not really note. Headlights do have separate fuses, which you already know, so one can definitely go out without the other going out.

I had issues with my auto headlights (could still turn them on manually) and it turned out to be a bad headlight switch. MAY be worth getting a used on eon ebay and plug it in to try. Takes less than 5 min to do. They are cheap since all E class uses the same one.
Old 02-17-2019, 09:54 AM
Out Of Control!!

It sure does sound like all these issues started when you moved that switch; i haven't moved that dial switch from auto since I had the car new
Old 02-17-2019, 01:39 PM

E63S
As expected, unfortunately, the reset did jack. The first four messages I listed above came back on and are still saved on dash. The last two messages did not save nor did they come back on. The only thing I am able to do with the knob is to shut off what's left of the headlights or turn them back on to said state. Right high beam that had come back after I played with DRL is gone again (did not bother messing with DRL).

EcKFe1, that really sucks. Our cars are barely 5 yrs old. Mine barely ever even sees rain. It's garage kept and only driven on the weekend. FWIW, my headlights (both) did fog up every time I washed the car last summer.

FastWgn, I hear ya. It's just so weird that different parts of each went out at the same time. It COULD be the stupid headlight switch. Why couldn't toyota build the GSF AWD, with a nicer grille and with and extra 300HP?

Peter, leave that knob alone!
Old 02-17-2019, 01:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 198 Likes on 137 Posts
2015 E63s AMG, 2020 GLC 43 AMG
It sure does sound like all these issues started when you moved that switch; i haven't moved that dial switch from auto since I had the car new
I discovered that if you want the high beams to stay on when you push the lever forward you must rurn the switch one position to the right away from auto. In auto, you can only get the momentary high beams while pulling and holding the lever. This is a PIA when on a long dark road less traveled.

So this is the only time I move away from auto. Having done this a few times, I have never had any issues. But I have a 2015 and maybe they solved this rare issue for 2015. Just guessing.
Old 02-17-2019, 02:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

One more thing you could try:

The panel that the HL switch is attached to comes out fairly easily if you have the pull hooks. I had it out when I installed my ALP laser jammers. There are a few different connectors pushed onto that switch as I recall. I tapped into one of them for my 12v source to the ALP controller. My point to you is that perhaps one of these came loose when you turned the switch out of shear bad luck???

You might pull that panel and have a look. You can likely make a pair of these hooks from a wire clothes hanger. Then go to youtube and search removal of dash trim. You will see how easy it is to pull it out.

Word of caution. Be carefull not to snare the little spring wire inside the vent!!! I accidentally did and then spent another 30 minutes putting the vent assembly back together.
Old 02-17-2019, 02:06 PM

E63S
Originally Posted by Vrodman

I discovered that if you want the high beams to stay on when you push the lever forward you must rurn the switch one position to the right away from auto. In auto, you can only get the momentary high beams while pulling and holding the lever. This is a PIA when on a long dark road less traveled.

So this is the only time I move away from auto. Having done this a few times, I have never had any issues. But I have a 2015 and maybe they solved this rare issue for 2015. Just guessing.
Yeah, I had learned this bit of info a lil' while back. Never really had the need to drive with high beams on, so, I never really messed with the knob. This is what I get for not being an A$$ and shine my lights into the store while waiting.
Old 02-17-2019, 02:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Correction.

You want to pull the trim piece above the HL switch. The piece with the vent. You can the see the connectors on the back of the switch.
Old 02-17-2019, 02:09 PM

E63S
Originally Posted by Vrodman
One more thing you could try:

The panel that the HL switch is attached to comes out fairly easily if you have the pull hooks. I had it out when I installed my ALP laser jammers. There are a few different connectors pushed onto that switch as I recall. I tapped into one of them for my 12v source to the ALP controller. My point to you is that perhaps one of these came loose when you turned the switch out of shear bad luck???

You might pull that panel and have a look. You can likely make a pair of these hooks from a wire clothes hanger. Then go to youtube and search removal of dash trim. You will see how easy it is to pull it out.

Word of caution. Be carefull not to snare the little spring wire inside the vent!!! I accidentally did and then spent another 30 minutes putting the vent assembly back together.
Thanks for the suggestion. I will have a look at how to remove the panels and decide from there.
Old 02-17-2019, 02:55 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
2019 E63s AMG Sedan, 2021 Range Rover Autobiography "50", 2023 Bentley GTC Speed
I had the same thing happen to my 2015 last year, started throwing all the same warnings. Turns out one of the headlights had a bad seal and got moisture inside. Replaced lamp assembly and all good. FYI the bad headlight was visibly fogged.
Old 02-17-2019, 03:05 PM

E63S
Originally Posted by v8plus4
I had the same thing happen to my 2015 last year, started throwing all the same warnings. Turns out one of the headlights had a bad seal and got moisture inside. Replaced lamp assembly and all good. FYI the bad headlight was visibly fogged.
I see. In my case, the headlights are clear. The fogging up never really lasted more than a few moments after every wash. The car hadn't been exposed to rain or any other type of moisture for a couple of weeks prior this failure. As PeterUbers said... it seems as though this all happened right after I use the knob.

Thanks for your input.

BTW, I checked the fuses that correspond to "Exterior Lamp Switch" and "Turn Signal Lamps" and they are fine.
Old 02-17-2019, 07:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yeah, I had learned this bit of info a lil' while back. Never really had the need to drive with high beams on, so, I never really messed with the knob. This is what I get for not being an A$$ and shine my lights into the store while waiting.
No good deed goes unpunished! Lol
Old 02-17-2019, 10:39 PM
Out Of Control!!

My money is that you either have a switch/harness issue or you ultimately have a bilateral headlight issue ... are you under warranty?
Old 02-17-2019, 10:42 PM

E63S
My money is that you either have a switch/harness issue or you ultimately have a bilateral headlight issue ... are you under warranty?
I hope it's NOT the latter. The car is out of warranty. Will keep y'll fine people updated.
Old 02-17-2019, 10:53 PM
Out Of Control!!

I hope it's NOT the latter. The car is out of warranty. Will keep y'll fine people updated.
so go get a warranty and claim this in a few months
Old 02-17-2019, 10:56 PM

E63S

so go get a warranty and claim this in a few months
Though a good idea, my dear friend, I don't drive this car much and sincerely dunno if I wanna spend $5-7K on a warranty... Been eyeing the f90 M5
Old 02-17-2019, 11:52 PM
Out Of Control!!

Though a good idea, my dear friend, I don't drive this car much and sincerely dunno if I wanna spend $5-7K on a warranty... Been eyeing the f90 M5
understandable ... you can also claim it on insurance... if for some reason someone were to crack your headlights with a bat
Old 02-17-2019, 11:53 PM

E63S

understandable ... you can also claim it on insurance... if for some reason someone were to crack your headlights with a bat
Old 02-23-2019, 04:41 PM

E63S
Update and resolution. I will leave this here should any other unfortunate soul be unlucky enough to experience this "uncommon issue" (as per dealer).

Invoice reads as follows:

"32783 Verified compliant found left low beam inop, right side blinker inop and both headlamps no responsive to high beam. Will need further diag to remove front bumper cover and headlights to check modules for corrosion. Further diagnosis performed on line F and all repairs"

"F** Line a concern - Diag time
CAUSE: Narrowed down to headlight control modules need more time to drop front bumper cover and take out headlights
S182 Repair electrical system, replace modules and code program. Verify repair
607 CMBS
1 222-870-07-89-80 Reman Voltage Converter
2 000-982-96-10 Cable connector
3 218-900-73-06 Reman CU COMPL
DEADL.RNGE.ADJ. LED VAR2

32783 Left headlamp E1n7 LED activation control unit defective.
Right front is not getting power chaffed power wire. Removed front bumper cover removed left headlight replaced E1n7 control unit for LED activation.
On right front headlight cut and spliced power wire. After repairs performed LED control unit activation all works as designed at this time. Function checked
headlight for blinker high beam and low beams all works as designed at this time. When taking vehicle out right cornering light illuminated on dash, found E2n9 control unit
on right headlight to have burnt out due to chaffed wire. Replace control unit performed initial start up at this time all works as designed.

G** left headlight control module - replace
CAUSE: control module E1n7 - LED activation module has corrosion.

32783 diag and repairs done on line f

H** right headlight - wiring repair"

Dealer said this is not a common problem "These are very complex cars and sometimes these things just go" On the bright side, at least it wasn't the actual headlights that magically and simultaneously developed issues and had to be replaced.
Wasn't very thrilled about them having to pull off the bumper cover to access headlight control units and not very impressed by the fact that I found the car was missing two fasteners on the driver's side fender liner (makes me think what else wasn't put back on). Furthermore, how is it that there were wires that were "chaffed"??

Just glad this issue has been solved.
Old 02-23-2019, 06:02 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
997 Carrera S
Update and resolution. I will leave this here should any other unfortunate soul be unlucky enough to experience this "uncommon issue" (as per dealer).

Invoice reads as follows:

"32783 Verified compliant found left low beam inop, right side blinker inop and both headlamps no responsive to high beam. Will need further diag to remove front bumper cover and headlights to check modules for corrosion. Further diagnosis performed on line F and all repairs"

"F** Line a concern - Diag time
CAUSE: Narrowed down to headlight control modules need more time to drop front bumper cover and take out headlights
S182 Repair electrical system, replace modules and code program. Verify repair
607 CMBS
1 222-870-07-89-80 Reman Voltage Converter
2 000-982-96-10 Cable connector
3 218-900-73-06 Reman CU COMPL
DEADL.RNGE.ADJ. LED VAR2

32783 Left headlamp E1n7 LED activation control unit defective.
Right front is not getting power chaffed power wire. Removed front bumper cover removed left headlight replaced E1n7 control unit for LED activation.
On right front headlight cut and spliced power wire. After repairs performed LED control unit activation all works as designed at this time. Function checked
headlight for blinker high beam and low beams all works as designed at this time. When taking vehicle out right cornering light illuminated on dash, found E2n9 control unit
on right headlight to have burnt out due to chaffed wire. Replace control unit performed initial start up at this time all works as designed.

G** left headlight control module - replace
CAUSE: control module E1n7 - LED activation module has corrosion.

32783 diag and repairs done on line f

H** right headlight - wiring repair"

Dealer said this is not a common problem "These are very complex cars and sometimes these things just go" On the bright side, at least it wasn't the actual headlights that magically and simultaneously developed issues and had to be replaced.
Wasn't very thrilled about them having to pull off the bumper cover to access headlight control units and not very impressed by the fact that I found the car was missing two fasteners on the driver's side fender liner (makes me think what else wasn't put back on). Furthermore, how is it that there were wires that were "chaffed"??

Just glad this issue has been solved.
im sorry for your trouble and glad you didnt have to buy new headlights. Do you mind me asking what the total cost was to have the work done?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Multiple headlamp messages