E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Spring Perch State Evaluation

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-18-2019, 03:51 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
E200 MY97 , E350 MY06
Spring Perch State Evaluation

Hello!

My 97 E200 was having its front brakes and rotors replaced at the local Mercedes dealership and as the car was lifted I requested a check on the Spring perches. Was able to snap this image to immortalize what I saw.

I pointed out the rust forming at the lower right side of the cup to the technicians. They told me they were fine and proceeded with showing me their strength by trying to wiggle them without being able to move them an inch (not an extreme force of course).

I already have both cups new from Merc, should I replace them asap?

A little bit of context, this car spent all its life on the Lebanese coast in the Mediterranean, never seen salted roads in its life. Also, it underwent a comprehensive renovation that lasted around 6-7 months, and at this point I just want to enjoy driving it a bit instead of keeping it at the dealership

Looking forward to your opinions folks,
Thanks!

Last edited by PortAxePlayer1; 02-18-2019 at 05:08 PM.
Old 02-18-2019, 06:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,729 Likes on 1,379 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
What your picture shows is bituminous compound showing some rust seeping thru.
For proper inspection you need to scrape it, but experience says that once you have rust visible on the surface, there is much more under.
Old 02-19-2019, 11:49 AM

E200 MY97 , E350 MY06
Originally Posted by kajtek1
What your picture shows is bituminous compound showing some rust seeping thru.
For proper inspection you need to scrape it, but experience says that once you have rust visible on the surface, there is much more under.
Can the coating be reapplied once it is scrapped in case the rust damage isn't that bad? I'll flag this during the next proper service of the car. I don't want to go ahead and do the repair if it doesn't need it.
Old 02-19-2019, 03:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,729 Likes on 1,379 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
The MB coating seems to be much better than anything I could find, but than - living in dry climates - rust protection is not my priority.
POR products seems to have best reviews, so research what might be the best.
But not only I see the rust signs, but also some indication that it might be patched in the past.
Definitely worth inspecting if you plan to keep the car.
Old 02-19-2019, 04:08 PM

E200 MY97 , E350 MY06
Originally Posted by kajtek1
The MB coating seems to be much better than anything I could find, but than - living in dry climates - rust protection is not my priority.
POR products seems to have best reviews, so research what might be the best.
But not only I see the rust signs, but also some indication that it might be patched in the past.
Definitely worth inspecting if you plan to keep the car.
Well noted, thank you for the sharp eye. We've had this car since 1997 and my dad can't remember if he had those done (he's the kind that drops his car for servicing with an auto-accept to any repairs, trust is mutual with the dealership), I'm surely keeping this car, I grew up looking through its rear window and I've replaced almost everything in the car and it just feels so great to drive.

I've had new springs ready to be installed for a while now, doing them in parallel to this repair would be great, will keep you posted.