C218 CLS63, 2011 - 2019

Need Tuning and Mod Advice From My Brothers!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-19-2019, 11:25 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 Mercedes-Benz CLS63 AMG S
Need Tuning and Mod Advice From My Brothers!

Hi, I acquired a 2015 CLS63 S and have plans to do some mods. Here is my dilemma. I live in South Florida so RENNtech seemed like the obvious choice since they are fairly local...although they are more expensive then others I am considering. I have narrowed it down to either RENNtech, Eurocharged, or AMS Performance. My problem with RENNtech is this, I was prepared to get their R1 package, the TCU software upgrade, and add 200 cell downpipes. When I inquired, I was told that if I wanted downpipes I can only use their own...WTF?! Their catted downpipes are $4,180! I could get a good set from FI or others for half that and some brands even less. They will not give me a tune for downpipes unless it comes from RENNtech. A local installer told me to not even waste my time with downpipes for these cars as he has seen only 10-15 crank HP increase doing before and after dyno's. Any comment on this? Are the stock catalytic converters that restrictive or not really? He suggested going with RENNtech mufflers instead if I wanted more sound and it would be half the price of the RENNtech downpipes. I will take any advice on this please. Also, anyone have experience with the TCU upgrade. My car literally has a 0.5-1 second lag from a dig after WOT launch. It is beyond annoying. I suppose it is the torque limiters. I am hoping either a tune or the TCU upgrade will make that go away.

I love the way the AMS carbon fiber intake looks but does it really help increase HP and throttle response as claimed. Their package seems great so I am leaning to the Alpha 7 or at least the air box and tune without the downpipes. Any advice? Same with Eurocharged, maybe a tune with the AMS intake. I have read as meany threads as I could before posting this. I saw Weistec ****ed up someones AMG GT and did not tell the client...WTF. Can someone confirm or deny this? I was considering them also until I saw that post. Thanks to all in advance. Regards,

LF
Old 02-19-2019, 11:53 PM

Received 100 Likes on 47 Posts
M3, E55, cls63
I would skip on renntech it's very overpriced in my opinion and there's not much data backing up the gains of their tcu tune. Eurocharged and AMS are both excellent choices plenty of people running both with great results. As for downpipes they may not increase peak HP gains by much but they will definitely increase mid range gains in HP and torque as well as increase throttle response and turbo life.
Old 02-20-2019, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by try m3
I would skip on renntech it's very overpriced in my opinion and there's not much data backing up the gains of their tcu tune. Eurocharged and AMS are both excellent choices plenty of people running both with great results. As for downpipes they may not increase peak HP gains by much but they will definitely increase mid range gains in HP and torque as well as increase throttle response and turbo life.
Try M3, thanks for the reply. There's such a lag from a dead stop that I was hoping the renntech TCU would address that. I'm hoping someone who has had it done will comment. also, if you did downpipes would you do straight pipes with no catalytic converters or use a 200 cell catalytic converter to decrease any exhaust smell?

Last edited by france2112; 02-20-2019 at 08:09 AM.
Old 02-20-2019, 10:57 AM

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
2012 CLS 63
Originally Posted by france2112
Try M3, thanks for the reply. There's such a lag from a dead stop that I was hoping the renntech TCU would address that. I'm hoping someone who has had it done will comment. also, if you did downpipes would you do straight pipes with no catalytic converters or use a 200 cell catalytic converter to decrease any exhaust smell?
a ecu tune will help out that throttle lag but won’t remove it completely. As of right now Renntech tcu tune is a joke until we see some convincing evidence of its’ benefits
Old 02-20-2019, 11:40 AM

Received 100 Likes on 47 Posts
M3, E55, cls63
I currently have turbo back downpipes with no cats and the smell is pretty bad I can live with it but I try not to walk or stand behind the car as the smell will stick to your clothes lol.
Old 02-20-2019, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by try m3
I currently have turbo back downpipes with no cats and the smell is pretty bad I can live with it but I try not to walk or stand behind the car as the smell will stick to your clothes lol.
Lol...Well that answered my question :-). I believe the Alpha AMS downpipes use 300 cell cats... I was between using those downpipes with their full package or using FI downpipes with 200 cell cats.

Thanks for the advice on the TCU tune. I have yet to see anything on the forums except for one thread that says it seems to help but no real evidence.

Do you or does anyone know anything about the diverter valve that Renntech sells on their R1 package?
Old 02-20-2019, 10:39 PM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
2012 CLS63 AMG stock (For now)
Hi, I acquired a 2015 CLS63 S and have plans to do some mods. Here is my dilemma. I live in South Florida so RENNtech seemed like the obvious choice since they are fairly local...although they are more expensive then others I am considering. I have narrowed it down to either RENNtech, Eurocharged, or AMS Performance. My problem with RENNtech is this, I was prepared to get their R1 package, the TCU software upgrade, and add 200 cell downpipes. When I inquired, I was told that if I wanted downpipes I can only use their own...WTF?! Their catted downpipes are $4,180! I could get a good set from FI or others for half that and some brands even less. They will not give me a tune for downpipes unless it comes from RENNtech. A local installer told me to not even waste my time with downpipes for these cars as he has seen only 10-15 crank HP increase doing before and after dyno's. Any comment on this? Are the stock catalytic converters that restrictive or not really? He suggested going with RENNtech mufflers instead if I wanted more sound and it would be half the price of the RENNtech downpipes. I will take any advice on this please. Also, anyone have experience with the TCU upgrade. My car literally has a 0.5-1 second lag from a dig after WOT launch. It is beyond annoying. I suppose it is the torque limiters. I am hoping either a tune or the TCU upgrade will make that go away.

I love the way the AMS carbon fiber intake looks but does it really help increase HP and throttle response as claimed. Their package seems great so I am leaning to the Alpha 7 or at least the air box and tune without the downpipes. Any advice? Same with Eurocharged, maybe a tune with the AMS intake. I have read as meany threads as I could before posting this. I saw Weistec ****ed up someones AMG GT and did not tell the client...WTF. Can someone confirm or deny this? I was considering them also until I saw that post. Thanks to all in advance. Regards,

LF
Nice car bro,
This is a very familiar topic with all of us here and we have talked about it and weighed out the pros and cons. Renntech is way overpriced. Eurocharged is the cheapest and most people have Eurochaged because you get the most bang for your buck. However, I haven't seen many tests on Eurocharged cars to know what results to expect with just an ECU tune. So I am leaning towards the AMS tune. We all know what AMS has accomplished with their 2500+HP GTRS , so they know their stuff. Even though their tune alone cost $2400, you can catch them on sale and end up paying about $2000. The 1/4 mile times will be in the high 10s, so you will smoke most GTRs and corvettes. If you had enough money to get the Renntech packages, then I would say STOP and get the Alpha 9 package instead. You whip will be a killer !
BTW do you have any pics of your new whip? What state are you in?
Old 02-21-2019, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by Terence E ENoh
Nice car bro,
This is a very familiar topic with all of us here and we have talked about it and weighed out the pros and cons. Renntech is way overpriced. Eurocharged is the cheapest and most people have Eurochaged because you get the most bang for your buck. However, I haven't seen many tests on Eurocharged cars to know what results to expect with just an ECU tune. So I am leaning towards the AMS tune. We all know what AMS has accomplished with their 2500+HP GTRS , so they know their stuff. Even though their tune alone cost $2400, you can catch them on sale and end up paying about $2000. The 1/4 mile times will be in the high 10s, so you will smoke most GTRs and corvettes. If you had enough money to get the Renntech packages, then I would say STOP and get the Alpha 9 package instead. You whip will be a killer !
BTW do you have any pics of your new whip? What state are you in?
Hi Terence, thanks for the reply. I know this topic has been talked about many times...I tried to do a search before I posted and actually read a lot of opinions and came to a similar conclusion you posted. No post answered all my questions and I honestly got sick of searching so I figured I would ask for some help.

Someone posted a while back about the Renntech TCU helping their 0-60 and 1/4 mile times but I would have thought there would be multiple people with the M157 platform going crazy for this upgrade...but looks like no one has really taken to it. Maybe because Renntech has not shown before and after results?

I would love to go for the Alpha 9 but that seems like a big deal and it scares me to F*** with my car too much. I figure bolt on's with a tune is safer albeit less gains. Is it a huge job to change out Turbos? I worry about check engine lights and other unforeseeable problems using aftermarket turbos...too much heat, need for cooling mods, etc...

I just got 1 piece VS Forged wheels that look amazing. Here are a few quick pics but honestly they do not do this car justice. In person it looks way better. I have carbon fiber mirror covers, rear spoiler, and rear diffuser. It looks awesome. I will post better pics tomorrow or as soon as I can get good pictures.

Offset is perfect...right to the wheel well and car is lowered.

Whees weight about 23lbs!

Not a great picture IMO but will do preliminarily just to show it. Car came with Night Package...I removed all the black parts and put on the silver ones. Much better contrast then all black IMO.
Old 02-22-2019, 08:31 PM

Yesir! I am loving the car. You will enjoy this car that's for sure. You are right, I wouldn't suggest upgraded turbos or stage 3 or 4 of anything since it will definitely mess with your car. Everytime you put aftermarket parts, it will reduce the reliability of the car. For example, if you got renntech full package or Alpha 7 or 9 package, you'd have to have new TCU or possibly a rebuild, you'd need cooling kits, spark plugs, mufflers etc. You'd end up dropping at least $15K minimum. And yes you will have to deal with issues like check engine lights etc except the tuner "fools" the ECU that the parts are stock (or that there is no issue). The only reason I recommended the Alpha 9 package was because I thought you were going for the full renntech package (So I thought you might aswell go for Alpha 9 if you're going to drop that kind of money). If I were you, I would just do an ECU tune and maybe some downpipes or exhaust for the sound and call it a day. You wouldn't spend much, and your 0-60 time will be around 3.2-3.6. Your 1/4mile will be high 10s. Keep in mind that Alpha 9 package and Renntech package only gives you a 0-60 of 2.9 and a 1/4mile of low 10s. So the question becomes, Is it worth it to spend about $15K plus only to shave off 0.6secs of my 1/4 mile times?While at the same time expect engine, transmission and other maintenance issues which would cost you $$$$$$? The answer is no! Unless you're some legit racer dude who goes to the track and those companies sponsor you, then hey go for it because the companies are paying for the cars maintenance and upgrades. Or unless youre some crazy rich dude and money is never an issue, then go for it.
Keep in mind that your car is already a sick beast stock, as you probably already know. Adding an ECU tune would just make it a force to be reckoned with.

Last edited by Terence E ENoh; 02-22-2019 at 08:34 PM.
Old 02-22-2019, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by Terence E ENoh
Yesir! I am loving the car. You will enjoy this car that's for sure. You are right, I wouldn't suggest upgraded turbos or stage 3 or 4 of anything since it will definitely mess with your car. Everytime you put aftermarket parts, it will reduce the reliability of the car. For example, if you got renntech full package or Alpha 7 or 9 package, you'd have to have new TCU or possibly a rebuild, you'd need cooling kits, spark plugs, mufflers etc. You'd end up dropping at least $15K minimum. And yes you will have to deal with issues like check engine lights etc except the tuner "fools" the ECU that the parts are stock (or that there is no issue). The only reason I recommended the Alpha 9 package was because I thought you were going for the full renntech package (So I thought you might aswell go for Alpha 9 if you're going to drop that kind of money). If I were you, I would just do an ECU tune and maybe some downpipes or exhaust for the sound and call it a day. You wouldn't spend much, and your 0-60 time will be around 3.2-3.6. Your 1/4mile will be high 10s. Keep in mind that Alpha 9 package and Renntech package only gives you a 0-60 of 2.9 and a 1/4mile of low 10s. So the question becomes, Is it worth it to spend about $15K plus only to shave off 0.6secs of my 1/4 mile times?While at the same time expect engine, transmission and other maintenance issues which would cost you $$$$$$? The answer is no! Unless you're some legit racer dude who goes to the track and those companies sponsor you, then hey go for it because the companies are paying for the cars maintenance and upgrades. Or unless youre some crazy rich dude and money is never an issue, then go for it.
Keep in mind that your car is already a sick beast stock, as you probably already know. Adding an ECU tune would just make it a force to be reckoned with.
Thanks for the wise words! I think the Alpha 7 is reasonable...an air intake, tune, and catted downpipes...car should rival most exotics!

I would have totally gone with the Renntech R1 package but the fact they will not let me use other downpipes really pisses me off and took them out of my favor. Sorry, I think over $4,000 for downpipes is egregious? It's a shame that I live in South Florida and have to look out of state for a tuner for really no good reason in my opinion.
Old 02-25-2019, 10:26 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
CLS63
I got the Weistec stage 1 for $2400 out the door. It's a tune, plugs, and filters that is supposed to be pretty legit. Butt dyno says they ain't lyin'. 18Jan I ran a best of 12.2 in 50* weather with a bone stock 2012. I'll be at the same track with it all installed on the 13th with a forecast for 52*. Everything else will be the same, I'll even put the same wheels and tires back on. I'll let you know the results so you have some hard numbers to go by. Weistec advertises with WHP numbers so not a true apples to apples comparison to AMS who seems to advertise crank numbers, but times don't lie. As much as I like the new power, the new plugs have been my favorites. I've tried my hardest to get a misfire and can't make it happen anymore. I highly recommend doing those even while on a stock tune and deciding which way to go. My best E.T. and best trap for the night are below.

Edit to add, I forgot I dropped the car since the last run as well.

Terence, where are you seeing that the car will run in the 10s with the tune alone? I'm seeing on their website that the Alpha 7 kit runs a 10.8 and that's with the pipes, air box, and everything. Not disagreeing with you, but if they're getting that fast off a tune alone I'm impressed as hell.

Last edited by 12CLS63; 02-25-2019 at 10:27 PM. Reason: I forgot I dropped the car since the last run as well.
Old 02-26-2019, 12:26 AM

Hi, nice stock run! I appreciate your input. I was considering Weistec but there is a thread on the AMG GT forum of a member having his car fall off one of their lifts, them fixing the body work, and then returning the car without saying a word. Looks like a whistle blower took some photos and let the news out. I cannot confirm this actually happened but is scarred me enough to not want to deal with them. I may reconsider and try to actually confirm this story...Innocent until proven guilty I suppose. There are so many good options that is was easy to just move on from them.

Let me know how you do at the track. Thanks!

LF
Old 02-26-2019, 11:23 PM

Hello,
Speaking of 1/4mile of about 10.8sec, I think it was one of their recent E63 track record. When I find it, Ill post a vid on here. In the meantime, please dyno your car after, then track it and show us the results. If the results are good, we would consider getting that tune!
Old 02-28-2019, 01:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
CLS63 AMG
Originally Posted by 12CLS63
I got the Weistec stage 1 for $2400 out the door. It's a tune, plugs, and filters that is supposed to be pretty legit. Butt dyno says they ain't lyin'. 18Jan I ran a best of 12.2 in 50* weather with a bone stock 2012. I'll be at the same track with it all installed on the 13th with a forecast for 52*. Everything else will be the same, I'll even put the same wheels and tires back on. I'll let you know the results so you have some hard numbers to go by. Weistec advertises with WHP numbers so not a true apples to apples comparison to AMS who seems to advertise crank numbers, but times don't lie. As much as I like the new power, the new plugs have been my favorites. I've tried my hardest to get a misfire and can't make it happen anymore. I highly recommend doing those even while on a stock tune and deciding which way to go. My best E.T. and best trap for the night are below.

Edit to add, I forgot I dropped the car since the last run as well.

Terence, where are you seeing that the car will run in the 10s with the tune alone? I'm seeing on their website that the Alpha 7 kit runs a 10.8 and that's with the pipes, air box, and everything. Not disagreeing with you, but if they're getting that fast off a tune alone I'm impressed as hell.
Are those stock runs the cls63 with PP package or just base model?
Old 02-28-2019, 07:23 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
CLS63
Base
Old 03-01-2019, 07:51 AM
Banned

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
E63 AMG S
I would skip going catless on these engines.. M157 doesnt pick up much HP doing so, same goes for most modern cars, as cat tech has gotten better, and engine efficiency has gotten much better, there is less restriction and power to be had.
add in the costs of labor, overcharged catless pipes, and it really isnt worth it at all.

im enjoying my Renntech tune, no issues, great power, drivability is great, plus renntech of course has a great history/ customer service.
Old 03-01-2019, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Lumi
I would skip going catless on these engines.. M157 doesnt pick up much HP doing so, same goes for most modern cars, as cat tech has gotten better, and engine efficiency has gotten much better, there is less restriction and power to be had.
add in the costs of labor, overcharged catless pipes, and it really isnt worth it at all.

im enjoying my Renntech tune, no issues, great power, drivability is great, plus renntech of course has a great history/ customer service.
Hi Lumi, thanks for your input. I did not plan on going catless...but a good set of downpipes with 200-300 cell GESI high flow catalytic converters. My understanding is this really decreases back pressure and helps with sound and throttle response. I have to believe that having less restriction must help free up some HP and make the car be more responsive. I like the concept of the AMS Alpha 7 because it comes with a larger diameter air intake, an engine ECU tune, and downpipes with 300 cell high flow catalytic converters. Makes the most sense to me!

I would love to go with Renntech but their catted downpipes are $$$$ and they will not tune a car using other brand catted downpipes unfortunately. I am not even sure if they would tune a car with another brand air intake? If they would, then I would maybe have them do my tune and installation of the equipment. I say maybe because I have some good guys who could install everything for me local and it may just be better to stay with the company that I am getting all the hardware from since they have a specific tune for the whole package. Still thinking about it all. Renntech is no doubt great and best reputation but I have read nothing but good comments about both Eurocharged and AMS Performance. Free market so whomever will give me the best deal. If Renntech would match price for their downpipes and tune and allow me to use the AMS intake they would likely win...
Old 03-01-2019, 02:06 PM

2012 CLS 63
Originally Posted by Lumi

theres no doubt that going catless doesn’t add a substantial amount of power, but it definitely adds some and improves throttle response, and most people do it for the sound as well.

ive spoke to eurocharged they said catless dp alone are good for about 30hp gain
although it’s not much, that AMS Intake, even at its cost will probably give you about the same amount.

furthermore if we can all agree that catless downpipe gains are not huge and debatably not worth it then that means the gains from getting catted downpipes is negligible at best.

that being said I am not discouraging anyone from modding how they want to but if we’re gonna say going catless downpipes isn’t worth it then catted downpipes is surely not worth it.

also for the guy speaking of AMS intake it’s a great intake indeed and looks awesome but if you just want it for the power gains you should look into the UPD intake spacer it advertises a similar amount of power gain and I can’t speak for Renntech but other tuners have no issues with you using them

Last edited by amgboy916; 03-01-2019 at 02:08 PM.
Old 03-01-2019, 04:53 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CLS55 AMG
Disagree reference decatting, whilst the Hp increase isn’t massive, the torque gains are. 60-80lb/ft can be gained.
Originally Posted by amgboy916
theres no doubt that going catless doesn’t add a substantial amount of power, but it definitely adds some and improves throttle response, and most people do it for the sound as well.

ive spoke to eurocharged they said catless dp alone are good for about 30hp gain
although it’s not much, that AMS Intake, even at its cost will probably give you about the same amount.

furthermore if we can all agree that catless downpipe gains are not huge and debatably not worth it then that means the gains from getting catted downpipes is negligible at best.

that being said I am not discouraging anyone from modding how they want to but if we’re gonna say going catless downpipes isn’t worth it then catted downpipes is surely not worth it.

also for the guy speaking of AMS intake it’s a great intake indeed and looks awesome but if you just want it for the power gains you should look into the UPD intake spacer it advertises a similar amount of power gain and I can’t speak for Renntech but other tuners have no issues with you using them
The following users liked this post:
amgboy916 (03-01-2019)
Old 03-01-2019, 05:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS63 AMG
From what I heard, intake does very little power gain on this car, almost nothing over a good set of air filters.

For catless downpipes, the torque gains are big, and area under the curve. Since when is gaining 80wtq not a big difference?
Old 03-01-2019, 05:15 PM

2012 CLS 63
to clarify I am pro-catless

My car is catless,
I'm just referencing the fact that if one thinks catless is not worth the gains, then catted downpipes are definitely not

and a $4k intake for 20hp is definitely not, unless of course you just wanted it for the looks then by all means, go for it.
Old 03-02-2019, 11:15 AM

CLS55 AMG
Intake mod via UPD spacers and narrower filter is worth it. OEM set up is restrictive, with the OEM filter pretty much taking all of the space inside the airbox. The spacers and new filter improve this allowing a less obstructive flow of air into the engine, therefore has to be a benefit, especially when tuned or upgrading Turbos etc.

GAD are probably the lost advanced tuner with the M157 and most of their cars run the upgraded intake systems - yes I agree these are expensive, but the UPD for the much lower cost is a good compromise.
Old 03-02-2019, 12:52 PM

CLS55 AMG
Intake mod via UPD spacers and narrower filter is worth it. OEM set up is restrictive, with the OEM filter pretty much taking all of the space inside the airbox. The spacers and new filter improve this allowing a less obstructive flow of air into the engine, therefore has to be a benefit, especially when tuned or upgrading Turbos etc.

GAD are probably the lost advanced tuner with the M157 and most of their cars run the upgraded intake systems - yes I agree these are expensive, but the UPD for the much lower cost is a good compromise.
Old 03-04-2019, 02:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS63 AMG
Originally Posted by Cyclone1

are those spacers really giving the same gains as a full intake mod are doing?

how much more are those offering over a high flow air filter like AFE or K&n filters in place of the stock air filters??
Old 03-07-2019, 12:41 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
CLS AMG 63S

LF
I have the same platform with the M157 W218, I personally have the AMS Carbon Fiber Intakes And it added 32 HP. I have a custom tune by @GoLabWorx check them out on IG @Kevin_doesnt_lift did mines. I’m currently at 700 WHP on stock turbo and Downpipes I have AEM 5 gallon meth injection kit as well

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Need Tuning and Mod Advice From My Brothers!