SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Buying my first MB, a 2011 SL550

Old 03-14-2019, 09:57 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
2017 S550 Cabriolet
Buying my first MB, a 2011 SL550

Hope to pick up tomorrow

Last edited by gregorynp; 03-16-2019 at 06:38 AM.
Old 03-14-2019, 10:39 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 999 Likes on 868 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
Congrats and welcome to the forum! Don't forget to update your profile.
Old 03-14-2019, 11:31 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
2008 SL550
Congratulations!
Old 03-15-2019, 08:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,000 Likes on 807 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
Congrats, it will be one of the best days of your life. The second best will be when you sell it. Just kidding, good luck and enjoy the ride. If you want something faster, sell for a bi-turbo 600/63/65. I would stay away from the NA 63 though.
Old 03-15-2019, 11:11 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 Mercedes SL550
Are you getting an extended warranty?
Old 03-15-2019, 03:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 540 Likes on 477 Posts
2010 C300 4MATIC........ 2011 C63 AMG.............. 2015 CLS400 4MATIC.....
Originally Posted by Eric79
Car is bulletproof
Old 03-15-2019, 10:31 PM

2017 S550 Cabriolet
Thinking about it. A lot can go wrong with a $116,000 car. Carchex has quoted me on 3, 4 and 5 year warranties from $4,000-$6,0000. 10,000 miles per year.

Originally Posted by Eric79
Old 03-15-2019, 10:48 PM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
Before you get an extended warranty, go to the dealer or shop where you intend to have it serviced and ask them what they recommend.
Old 03-15-2019, 10:53 PM

2017 S550 Cabriolet
I am having an independent German independent shop Wednesday for a post (pre purchase) inspection

Originally Posted by Rudeney
Before you get an extended warranty, go to the dealer or shop where you intend to have it serviced and ask them what they recommend.
Old 03-23-2019, 08:17 AM

2017 S550 Cabriolet
My happiness has been tempered by an independent repair shop post purchase inspection. Actually had two independent shops specializing in foreign repairs look at the car. The first one said nothing wrong . Excellent shape, which was confirmed by selling dealer, Mercedes of Orlando used car inspection report. Look at the report I have posted here. I made an appointment with the selling dealer and asked them to show me the items mentioned. I did see the leaking Thrust Arm Assembly and a little shinny oil on one of the struts. Didn't see issues with the other major components. Waiting to hear Monday if the dealer will repair any of the items. Hoping they willl replace the power window switch and the Thrust arm, then I will buy an aftermarket warranty. "Would appreciate your comments."

Recommended repairs

Recommended repairs

Rear Strut

Rear Strut

Rear Strust

ThrustArm
Old 03-23-2019, 12:06 PM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
First of all,

So are you capable/willing to DIY? If so, then many of these things are easy.

Windows Switch: I was able to fix my window switch by adding a small metal pin to act as an axle on the pivot point. It's hard to explain, but of you remove the switch and disassemble it, you can see that it has little plastic ears where it pivots and they break. So I just drilled holes there and inserted a metal pin (actually a leftover piece of a used rivet pin). If that sounds too complicated, just but a new window switch module and replace it. Removing the door paneling is not terribly difficult if you've done that sort of thing before. Some of the plastic clips might break, but they are cheap - $2 each or so.

Air Filters: Mann (OEM) air filters can be bought for under $25 (for a set of 2). it takes about 15 minutes to replace them (you do need a Torx driver to take apart the housing).

Air Filter Housing: Really? They want to replace the whole thing for a couple of broken clips? On the older style covers on the SL500 (M113 engine), you could by just the clips, but they are not available for the SL550 (M273) engine. However, you can buy the old style and glue it to the new cover. Part number is A1120940041. Or, just live with it. It's not liek the cover is going to fly off!

Brake Fluid Flush: If they will do that on the car for $84.00, have them do it! It's a bit of a pain on the SBC system and not an easy DIY job.

Thrust Arms: Yes, those probably need replacement. The bushings are fluid filled and they deteriorate and leak. You can save some money DIY'ing it and using OEM (Lemfoerder) parts.

Wheel Caps/Hood Emblem: You can buy these cheap on eBay and replace yourself for 1/3 the price they are quoting. Since the wheel caps are no good, you don't ecen have to remove the wheel to replace - just drill a hole in the old one, twist in a screw and pull it out.

Rear Shock: Instead of paying almost $1500 for a new strut, check into an Arnott. They sell rebuilt shocks with a lifetime warranty for around $600.

Engine Mounts: There front engine mounts are fluid-filled and do wear out. Unless you feeling some bad vibration or seeing the engine jump around a lot, it's not critical to replace them. It can be a DIY job, but you do have to lift the engine and maybe remove the exhaust pipes. The rear (transmission) mounts is just a rubber bracket and very easy to DIY.
The following users liked this post:
Eric79 (03-23-2019)
Old 03-23-2019, 12:51 PM

2017 S550 Cabriolet
Big THANKS Rodney! I owe you one! So helpful!!!

First of all,

Windows Switch: I was able to fix my window switch by adding a small metal pin to act as an axle on the pivot point. It's hard to explain, but of you remove the switch and disassemble it, you can see that it has little plastic ears where it pivots and they break. So I just drilled holes there and inserted a metal pin (actually a leftover piece of a used rivet pin). If that sounds too complicated, just but a new window switch module and replace it. Removing the door paneling is not terribly difficult if you've done that sort of thing before. Some of the plastic clips might break, but they are cheap - $2 each or so.

Air Filters: Mann (OEM) air filters can be bought for under $25 (for a set of 2). it takes about 15 minutes to replace them (you do need a Torx driver to take apart the housing).

Air Filter Housing: Really? They want to replace the whole thing for a couple of broken clips? On the older style covers on the SL500 (M113 engine), you could by just the clips, but they are not available for the SL550 (M273) engine. However, you can buy the old style and glue it to the new cover. Part number is A1120940041. Or, just live with it. It's not liek the cover is going to fly off!

Brake Fluid Flush: If they will do that on the car for $84.00, have them do it! It's a bit of a pain on the SBC system and not an easy DIY job.

Thrust Arms: Yes, those probably need replacement. The bushings are fluid filled and they deteriorate and leak. You can save some money DIY'ing it and using OEM (Lemfoerder) parts.

Wheel Caps/Hood Emblem: You can buy these cheap on eBay and replace yourself for 1/3 the price they are quoting. Since the wheel caps are no good, you don't ecen have to remove the wheel to replace - just drill a hole in the old one, twist in a screw and pull it out.

Rear Shock: Instead of paying almost $1500 for a new strut, check into an Arnott. They sell rebuilt shocks with a lifetime warranty for around $600.

Engine Mounts: There front engine mounts are fluid-filled and do wear out. Unless you feeling some bad vibration or seeing the engine jump around a lot, it's not critical to replace them. It can be a DIY job, but you do have to lift the engine and maybe remove the exhaust pipes. The rear (transmission) mounts is just a rubber bracket and very easy to DIY.
The following users liked this post:
Eric79 (03-23-2019)
Old 03-25-2019, 09:31 PM

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts
2011 SL550
How many miles does your 2011 have on it? I've been under mine a few times and it has 28K miles on it. Thrust arms and shocks show no leaks
Old 03-25-2019, 09:32 PM

2017 S550 Cabriolet
55,000 Miles

Originally Posted by danaw007
How many miles does your 2011 have on it? I've been under mine a few times and it has 28K miles on it. Thrust arms and shocks show no leaks
Old 03-25-2019, 09:59 PM

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts
2011 SL550
Originally Posted by gregorynp
55,000 Miles
these cars do leak a bit with use, why do think they put all the undercarriage covers on them. Most issues you can fix yourself with help from here and YouTube. To use these as a daily driver would, most likely, hit the wallet pretty heavily. Understand that the people that originally purchased these cars rarely own them longer than 3-4 years. They usually dump them after the warranty runs out anyway. Put aside some money for the large expenses. That's what I did 😉
Old 03-26-2019, 07:00 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2011 Mauritius Blue SL550
First of all,

Well damn, Rodney. There you go again being the master of genius of these forums. YOU ROCK, MY FRIEND!!