CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Best/ Easiest Bluetooth Phone and Streaming Options (Question)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-16-2019, 11:41 PM

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
2010 E550 Coupe
Best/ Easiest Bluetooth Phone and Streaming Options (Question)

I bought a 550 coupe, and was having some trouble identifying the best/easiest way of using bluetooth (for calls and streaming music) with the stock command navigation unit, and was hoping for some opinions. Unfortunately my car doesn't have the factory bluetooth module.

Based on my cursory research, I think the only way to really make it work (calls and streaming) is to buy a 30-pin ipod bluetooth adapter like Bovee or Coolstream for streaming music, buy the factory module for calls, and then pair my phone to both devices and hope that everything plays nicely together.

Does anyone have a better way of doing this (other than an FM adapter)?

EDIT: Nevermind, apparently my car does not have the connection for the bluetooth module. Oh well, back to the drawing board (searching), I suppose!

Last edited by nkx1; 03-17-2019 at 12:12 AM.
Old 03-17-2019, 12:42 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 999 Likes on 868 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
Welcome to the forum! Please take a moment to visit the User Control Panel and update your profile to include your car model and year, and your location (at least country). This information will then appear below your name and avatar on the left side panel next to each post you make. This will greatly help others to give you better information. If you are using the mobile version of the site, you will need to switch to the "full" version to get to the User Control Panel.

You may be able to find a used iPod interface kit. Actually, here one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2006-2009-M...ry!35080!US!-1

It looks like it has all the parts. This won't give you hands-free calling, but it will give you a 30-pin iPod connector to which you can add a Bluetooth adapter dongle for streaming. Note that the factory iPod kit does not display anything on the radio nor allow any track/playlist control on the radio. All display is done on the instrument cluster MFD, and control is only via the steering wheel buttons. The kit is not very difficult to install if you've ever done any car stereo and trim work.

If you don't care about seeing and controlling track and playlist info. then I'd suggest just plugging into the AUX port in the glove compartment, or, get a Bluetooth adapter for it. Of course if you truly want modern infotainment features, your best option is to replace the now 15-year old technology in your car with a modern aftermarket system.
Old 03-17-2019, 05:00 PM

2010 E550 Coupe
Thanks for your reply. I've read quite a few of your replies for related issues, and they are pretty helpful (it's how I got this far!).

To clarify, my car actually already has the 30-pin ipod interface in the glove box, so I'm good to go there. I just want to have calling as well (without spending $1K or even $500 and 5 hours of my time)!
Old 03-17-2019, 09:08 PM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
Yeah, then hands-free calling is more complicated. The radio and electronics in our car were designed back in the early turn of the (21st) century so Bluetooth was not around and most phones used some sort of proprietary cradles to connect to cars, and digital cellular was just coming to around. So, in order to get Bluetooth hands free capabilities, you'd have to install all the parts that enable your car to talk to an old analog, proprietary cradle phone system, complete with antenna wiring and boosters, etc., then buy a "puck" that snaps in and emulates an old Nokia, but talks Bluetooth to your modern phone. Assuming you can find all those old parts (that are no longer in production) they will cost you north of $1000, plus they will need to be installed, which is a lot of taking apart trim int he cabin and trunk.

So, that's why I said it might be time to consider an aftermarket system. Yeah, I know they don't look "stock", but it's a matter of whether you want looks or functionality. Note that there are some Chinese head units that are made to look like the factory radios and offer modern features, but I have not heard good thins about them. Also, they are really not "plug and play".
Old 03-17-2019, 10:36 PM

2010 E550 Coupe
Originally Posted by Rudeney
Yeah, then hands-free calling is more complicated. The radio and electronics in our car were designed back in the early turn of the (21st) century so Bluetooth was not around and most phones used some sort of proprietary cradles to connect to cars, and digital cellular was just coming to around. So, in order to get Bluetooth hands free capabilities, you'd have to install all the parts that enable your car to talk to an old analog, proprietary cradle phone system, complete with antenna wiring and boosters, etc., then buy a "puck" that snaps in and emulates an old Nokia, but talks Bluetooth to your modern phone. Assuming you can find all those old parts (that are no longer in production) they will cost you north of $1000, plus they will need to be installed, which is a lot of taking apart trim int he cabin and trunk.

So, that's why I said it might be time to consider an aftermarket system. Yeah, I know they don't look "stock", but it's a matter of whether you want looks or functionality. Note that there are some Chinese head units that are made to look like the factory radios and offer modern features, but I have not heard good thins about them. Also, they are really not "plug and play".
I've read about the complicated bluetooth puck/module route- too much time and work for me!

I wouldn't be opposed to an aftermarket head unit such a car-specific Android one along the lines of what you mentioned, but my main issue there is that those aren't able to send a fiber-optic signal to the amp for the Harman Kardon system. So that introduces a whole new headache of running the speakers off of the head unit (and doing the associated wiring and losing the factory subwoofer), or installing an aftermarket amp and/or speakers, etc. Or buying overpriced Nav-TV stuff to further complicate the install to try to retain the use of the fiber optic signal. It makes me tired just thinking about all that!

I think I'm going to stick with the simple plan I mentioned in another thread, which is to try to adapt my glove box ipod interface to an aux input, then get a generic bluetooth solution like the TaoTronics Bluetooth Car Kit. I wont be able to use the steering wheel controls, but it should be a very workable (and cheap/easy!) solution to make/receive calls and stream music via Bluetooth.
Old 03-17-2019, 10:56 PM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
Yes, you can do that. The only thing that will be a challenge is the mic. As for aftermarket systems, AVIN makes an adapter that takes analog pre-amp inputs and converts them into MOST fiber output so you can retain the HK amp and speakers. The only caveat is that you lose the Logic7 processing as well as fader control, but it does simplify installation.
Old 03-17-2019, 11:25 PM

2010 E550 Coupe
Yes, you can do that. The only thing that will be a challenge is the mic. As for aftermarket systems, AVIN makes an adapter that takes analog pre-amp inputs and converts them into MOST fiber output so you can retain the HK amp and speakers. The only caveat is that you lose the Logic7 processing as well as fader control, but it does simplify installation.
Ah, the AVIN adapter might be a game changer for me. For $100, that adapter is probably well worth the money. I don't care about the Logic 7, but losing the fader might suck. Overall, though, it sounds like the AVIN adapter is probably a winner. Thanks very much for bringing that to my attention!
Old 03-18-2019, 09:39 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
2004 ml500, 2007 clk550
sorry, jumping in mid conversation... did you guys take a look at the "optical replacement" units that replace the cd changer? i actually bought one... didn't install it yet. but it completely replaces the cd changer. made in china unit, found on ebay. it has all those items... '

i am only in it to get my mp3's, you know there are so many "my little pony songs" i need to have at the ready for my 5 year old.

from the ad, you use the 6 cd's like folders... and you can skip through songs like tracks. and use the factory system as normal?
Old 03-18-2019, 11:52 AM

2010 E550 Coupe
Originally Posted by faded1004
sorry, jumping in mid conversation... did you guys take a look at the "optical replacement" units that replace the cd changer? i actually bought one... didn't install it yet. but it completely replaces the cd changer. made in china unit, found on ebay. it has all those items... '

i am only in it to get my mp3's, you know there are so many "my little pony songs" i need to have at the ready for my 5 year old.

from the ad, you use the 6 cd's like folders... and you can skip through songs like tracks. and use the factory system as normal?
I hadn't heard about those. I'm interested, though. Do you have an Amazon or ebay link by chance?
Old 03-18-2019, 11:57 AM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
There are several options that go in place of the CD player to add Bluetooth hands-free calling, streaming, and iPod/MP3 interfacing. I had an mCar unit in my CLK that worked OK, but the hands free calling quality was a bit low, and the streaming interface was kludgy. The iPod/MP3 interface was great, though. mCar no longer makes that unit, but I think Grom still makes something similar.
Old 03-18-2019, 12:33 PM

2004 ml500, 2007 clk550
Originally Posted by nkx1
I hadn't heard about those. I'm interested, though. Do you have an Amazon or ebay link by chance?
i bought something that looks like this.

Amazon Amazon

but i have the one with out the bluetooth. just sd card reader. i didn't want anything extra. i will try to look for it when i get out of work.

you just need ACC power and plug it into the optical. as far as i remember. which is easy. not sure how the mic and stuff works. i wouldn't bank on it being the best quality either. but i figured... mp3 playback shouldn't be too bad? again, i didn't have time to install... been too busy with other things... tranny maintenance, diff maintenance, wrapping my roof... lol... wrapping my interior...
Old 03-18-2019, 01:30 PM

2010 E550 Coupe
Thanks for the link, Faded. I think your idea might be the easiest option. In reading through the reviews and looking at a couple of Youtube videos, it looks like the fiber optic bluetooth adapter will install in place of the CD changer (as you stated), and you don't even have to remove the head unit. Just remove the changer, splice into power and ground, and good to go!

The videos I saw were for an older C230 Kompressor Coupe and a W211 E Class, so I'm cautiously optimistic that it'll work in the W209. It looks like it even displays the audio tracks on the speedo and head unit, and we might even be able to use the steering wheel controls for skipping songs and using the phone.

This is going to be amazing if it works, especially for fairly cheap (about $150). So glad you decided to give a heads up about this device!

Videos:
Old 03-18-2019, 01:41 PM

2004 ml500, 2007 clk550
be aware, these little guys are imported from china... grain of salt thing... just be careful... not much support or testing?

here is another also...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1X-Fiber-Op...QAAOSwDP1b0slF

but yea... there are a few optical interface devices... i am going to attempt my install after my track day... in a few weeks.
Old 03-18-2019, 02:21 PM

2010 E550 Coupe
I know they're Chinese products which may not be perfect (just like many products), but there appears to be sufficient evidence that these work pretty well based on the Amazon reviews, based on numerous questions asked and answered on Amazon, and based on discussions on various other car forums (same product, other German cars).

I'm going to give it a whirl. I'll report back on my findings in a few weeks or so. It looks like this will do exactly what I want- allow me to make and receive calls/ stream music via bluetooth with minimal installation hassle. I think the steering wheel controls might also work for calls/music, which would be really cool. For $150, it seems like a worthwhile endeavor.

This is the product I'm going to try:
Amazon Amazon
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bluetooth-A...1/222307380207
Old 03-18-2019, 03:31 PM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
I just wonder, do those interfaces just handle the audio, or do they also display anything on the radio? And do they let you skip tracks using the radio or steering wheel buttons? I'm failry certain they don;t use the phone answer/end buttons or do phone book integration - hands-free calling is likely just done via audio through the CDC input.
Old 03-18-2019, 04:31 PM

2004 ml500, 2007 clk550
I just wonder, do those interfaces just handle the audio, or do they also display anything on the radio? And do they let you skip tracks using the radio or steering wheel buttons? I'm failry certain they don;t use the phone answer/end buttons or do phone book integration - hands-free calling is likely just done via audio through the CDC input.
i think it depends on the model and year of the car. i think the radio "could" display the first few of the title...

i saw, yes, they do let you skip and reverse tracks. from my research with the one i bought... CD=folder (can have 6) and tracks are the files (unlimited files)

i didn't look into how it handles calls, cause i didnt' buy one with that option.... i think i got mine off ebay for 50-70? i dont' remember.
Old 03-18-2019, 04:40 PM

2010 E550 Coupe
According to the ebay listing: This product achieves handsfree phone call (make and receive calls, sound through the car speakers) and Bluetooth music play (A2DP) via car stereo and steering wheel control.

The videos I posted suggest that music track information may be displayed on the head unit and on the speedometer screen, the skip track buttons may work on the steering wheel, and the call answer/end buttons might also work on the steering wheel.

I haven't seen any videos or information specifically for the CLK W209, so I guess the degree of functionality/integration remains to be seen.

I ordered one, so I guess I'll see what it can do once installed. I'm hoping to have it installed in two weeks or so, and I'll definitely update everyone with the results.
Old 03-18-2019, 10:57 PM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
Let us know how that works. I know the ones I've seen that emulate the full phone interface, using the call send/end buttons and transfer the phone book tend to be fairly expensive - close to $300. If they emulate the CD title data, then they can use that to display track/playlist info.
Old 03-23-2019, 02:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 CLK550, 2018 GLC43
The only downside with Mr.12Volt is that it is not fully oem and not 100% integrated. The advantage with the ipod adaptier connection piece and the bovee unit connected to it is the full steering wheel controls and the tracks should display on the screen as well. It worked for Audis and Jaguars in my experience at least. Skipping tracks and so on should also work as well. Now most modern day cell phones can connect to two devices at once. So if there is any cheap solution to install a bluetooth telephone module into our cars, then I think that is the fullest oem solution. When you hop in, the iPhone will connect directly to the bovee unit and the cell phone telephone unit. Full steering wheel controls for both iPod and calling and using the superior oem integrated microphones within the vehicle (im assuming all cars came with them installed throughout the car already).

Mr 12 volt seems like a good solution for those who dont really care completely, but if you're spending over 100$ and dont really care then might as well just buy an aux to bluetooth adapter and be on your way. The ipod/bovee and oem phone solution appears best to me, however I am not sure how the whole telephone Bluetooth module would be integrated. Is there a simple aftermarket solution for that? The biggest advantage for this is that its completely reversible, no splicing no removing anything it would be a full oem solution which I like and should provide the best sound quality as well.
Old 03-23-2019, 03:56 PM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
Another option:

https://www.dension.com/automotive/p...ateway-500s-bt
Old 11-02-2019, 07:26 PM

2010 E550 Coupe
OK, so I just installed the Mr. 12 Volt Bluetooth thing. Mixed results.

Pros:
Extremely easy installation
Skipping tracks can be controlled from the steering wheel and head unit
Track information is displayed in the digital gauge cluster and on the head unit
Sound quality is very good both on calls and music

Cons:
Delay of 1 to 2 seconds when skipping tracks (though you can skip tracks from the phone of course)

Problem I'm hoping to get some help with:
I cannot get the phone controls to work (either on the steering wheel or the head unit), so I have to make/receive calls with my phone (sound comes through speakers though). Is there a way to "turn on" the phone functionality on the factory head unit? From other YouTube videos I've watched (see above), it looks like the phone function works perfectly, but mine doesn't; the head unit just displays "phone not available."