Designo Matte Paint

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-20-2019, 04:07 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
C63S AMG S205 / Estate
Designo Matte Paint

Hi,

I've purchased a Matte Grey C63 Coupé which I haven't taken delivery of yet (used).
The salesman just told me that there is 3 glossy spots on the passenger door which he claims was there when I looked at it in store (weird to mention it first now then huh?)

I understand that matte paint is hard to maintain and spots can be tricky to remove, but what is the best method to give it a try?
Old 03-20-2019, 04:10 PM

Received 89 Likes on 63 Posts
2019 c63s coupe, 2008 s63 sedan, 2007 335i coupe
Originally Posted by AMG.SWE
Hi,

I've purchased a Matte Grey C63 Coupé which I haven't taken delivery of yet (used).
The salesman just told me that there is 3 glossy spots on the passenger door which he claims was there when I looked at it in store (weird to mention it first now then huh?)

I understand that matte paint is hard to maintain and spots can be tricky to remove, but what is the best method to give it a try?
repaint that half of the car
Old 03-20-2019, 04:12 PM

C63S AMG S205 / Estate
Originally Posted by purplewidow
repaint that half of the car
Working in used car sales I realize that it is most likely needed yes since it is such a special paint, but I'm asking if anyone has gotten a miracle solution to such a problem previously
Old 03-20-2019, 04:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 864 Likes on 450 Posts
2020 Huracan EVO AWD - 2022 GLE 63 S Coupe - 2023 C63 S Coupe -
I would wrap that panel with matte PPF and it should cover it and/or make it barely noticeable. You can actually turn a gloss finish matte by using a matte wrap. I would definitely do this before repainting half the car.
Old 03-20-2019, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by benzbell
I would wrap that panel with matte PPF and it should cover it and/or make it barely noticeable. You can actually turn a gloss finish matte by using a matte wrap. I would definitely do this before repainting half the car.
there all different levels of matte.. it’s not a one trick pony. a clear coat ppf’d in matte film does not look identical to the matte varnish from Benz. I saw a selenite c300 sedan yesterday at the tire place by my place it was ppf’d in matte and it did not look like selenite designo finish.. it was much more boring and didn’t have that sparkle effect up close at all. If that PPF covered 1 panel on a car that was matte from factory it would look crazy bad and the entire panel would look different than the rest of the car.. esp if it’s a large panel obviously
Old 03-20-2019, 04:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by purplewidow
there all different levels of matte.. it’s not a one trick pony. a clear coat ppf’d in matte film does not look identical to the matte varnish from Benz. I saw a selenite c300 sedan yesterday at the tire place by my place it was ppf’d in matte and it did not look like selenite designo finish.. it was much more boring and didn’t have that sparkle effect up close at all. If that PPF covered 1 panel on a car that was matte from factory it would look crazy bad and the entire panel would look different than the rest of the car.. esp if it’s a large panel obviously
I have my Green Hell Magno GTR 90% wrapped. I purposely left the rear hatch and bumper to see/tell the difference. You'd be hard pressed to notice the difference. And yes you can see the sparkles. So you are saying it can't be done and repaint half of the car? That makes no sense at all. Especially since OP is talking the door which is even less evident.

Old 03-20-2019, 05:28 PM

C63S AMG S205 / Estate
I have my Green Hell Magno GTR 90% wrapped. I purposely left the rear hatch and bumper to see/tell the difference. You'd be hard pressed to notice the difference. And yes you can see the sparkles. So you are saying it can't be done and repaint half of the car? That makes no sense at all. Especially since OP is talking the door which is even less evident.

That is actually a great idea. May I just ask what brand of PPF you are using on the car?

Sick car by the way, love the color
Old 03-20-2019, 05:55 PM

yes I can 1000% tell in person on a car panels that are wrapped clear or matte. I have well over 5k in detail supplies so I am OCD about finishes on cars. I rotary polish all my cars. And take about 12-18hrs on a full paint correction detail from clay to coating. I use an electronic gauge to measure paint thickness to get the clear coat as even as possible around the entire car.. I just don’t I learned from someone who charges 7k for full paint correction on high end hyper cars and flies around the world esp to Dubai often with the plethora of cars there. I have been obsessed with detailing cars my whole life..I spot imperfections right away.
Old 03-21-2019, 01:29 AM

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts
2019 C43 AMG COUPE
Working in used car sales I realize that it is most likely needed yes since it is such a special paint, but I'm asking if anyone has gotten a miracle solution to such a problem previously
No miracle solution, agree with repainting to preserve brilliance and clarity of the Designo Magno finish.

There'll be a noticeable difference between a PPF wrapped door and the rest of the vehicle. Wrap entire car if protection is your main concern.

Brightness and sparkle is the main priority for my Magno C63-S order and will be leaving it unwrapped.
Old 03-22-2019, 01:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Carlo Cc
No miracle solution, agree with repainting to preserve brilliance and clarity of the Designo Magno finish.

There'll be a noticeable difference between a PPF wrapped door and the rest of the vehicle. Wrap entire car if protection is your main concern.

Brightness and sparkle is the main priority for my Magno C63-S order and will be leaving it unwrapped.
So you would also rather repaint the whole side of the car rather than put wrap on a few panels or the entire car? Again that makes no sense. Especially on the sides of the vehicle. As far as the sparkle goes on magno - I don't care for it. In the sun it gives off the appearance of a muted gloss metallic color. On overcast days (my favorite look) the paint just looks plain mean. I think you'll find that out as well once you get yours.
Old 03-22-2019, 02:16 PM

2019 C43 AMG COUPE
So you would also rather repaint the whole side of the car rather than put wrap on a few panels or the entire car? Again that makes no sense. Especially on the sides of the vehicle. As far as the sparkle goes on magno - I don't care for it. In the sun it gives off the appearance of a muted gloss metallic color. On overcast days (my favorite look) the paint just looks plain mean. I think you'll find that out as well once you get yours.
Suggested to wrap the entire vehicle, and not only the door because of the noticeable difference.

Personally I would repaint as I am esthetically obsessed. Oh I can't wait to see it, sunny day in the shade is my fav when the blue sky reflects off the surface.
Old 03-28-2019, 03:11 PM

C63S AMG S205 / Estate
Thank you for the replies, the seller is trying to have it fixed and there has been improvement, the spots are not glossy anymore but you can definitely see them so we'll see if I have to have it repainted.

Another question - I want to have the badges blacked out - is it possible to plastidip without damaging the paint around it or is it a no-no?
One possibility is of course to buy new black emblems, but not sure how to remove the excess glue from the old badges.
Old 03-28-2019, 07:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 149 Likes on 123 Posts
C63s Cabriolet, BMW M4, Civic
I just did my blackout badges myself on Matte white color. I used q-tip dip into the rapid remover. This way, I have full control applied the rapid remover onto the glue. Don’t spray, you might get it all over the paint. Allow 2 mins for the solution soak it then use the q-tip to push it out.

Last edited by Klinh; 03-29-2019 at 12:07 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Uga Uga (03-29-2019)
Old 03-29-2019, 02:24 AM

C63S AMG S205 / Estate
Originally Posted by Klinh
I just did my blackout badges myself on Matte white color. I used q-tip dip into the rapid remover. This way, I have full control applied the rapid remover onto the glue. Don’t spray, you might get it all over the paint. Allow 2 mins for the solution soak it then use the q-tip to push it out.

Awesome result, great looking car!
So just to be sure - those are actually new emblems and to get rid of the adhesive from the old emblems you used q-tips dipped in rapid remover?

By the way, how did you remove the emblem on the trunk?
Old 03-29-2019, 03:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 149 Likes on 123 Posts
C63s Cabriolet, BMW M4, Civic
Yes, those are new badges. I used fishing line to removed the oem badges. I used my thumps to rubbed
as much adhesive out as possible. Instead of spray the rapid remover solution on the adhesive, i used q-tips to applied the rapid remover onto the adhesive. This is the only way to keep the rapid remover off the paint as much as possible. As for removed the trunk badge, I used fishing line them a big flat head screwdriver with tape around the head to prevent scratching the paint then pry it off one corner as a time.
Old 03-29-2019, 10:20 AM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
2019 C63S Coupe - Graphite Grey Magno
Thank you for the replies, the seller is trying to have it fixed and there has been improvement, the spots are not glossy anymore but you can definitely see them so we'll see if I have to have it repainted.

Another question - I want to have the badges blacked out - is it possible to plastidip without damaging the paint around it or is it a no-no?
One possibility is of course to buy new black emblems, but not sure how to remove the excess glue from the old badges.
If what the dealer's doing to lessen the shine on those spots isn't going to be sufficient for you, I suggest you TRY the matte PPF on the door panel as original suggested by benzbell. I would NOT go cheap on that wrap -- go Xpel Stealth or SunTek matte. The door panel will only run a couple $ bucks and you'll be able to assess for yourself if that's the right solution for you. If you don't like it, the wrap comes off and you obviously will have the decision to make on whether to paint it or live with it.

Repainting and full wraps will cost you $1000s ... no need to jump right into those decisions.

That said, I have a 2019 S Coupe in Graphite Grey Magno with a full Suntek matte wrap. I can say unequivocally the matte did not subdue the sparkle in that paint. Not saying other films don't or won't, but SunTek certainly does not. If it had, I wouldn't have gone with it, I assure you. I'm just as OCD about how my car looks as anyone else on this forum (just ask my wife ...). Pics of my wrapped car ... in the pic of the rear, if you zoom in, you can see the metallic flecks through the wrap (they obviously don't sparkle because its a static photo).

Best of luck!

Last edited by CrashTX; 03-29-2019 at 10:23 AM.
Old 04-14-2019, 07:47 PM

2019 C43 AMG COUPE
Graphite Grey Magno Video

More info under comments section.
Old 04-14-2019, 09:42 PM

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts
2023 AMG EQE 53
I'd make them repaint the door properly or pass on the car. Whether you saw them or not is BS. If you don't fix it properly it'll bit you when you sell the car down the road. Trying match it with wrap is just crazy in my opinion. Dealer needs to do the eork, you're not paying. A good painter can do it, probably at a MB dealer.
Old 06-27-2020, 06:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
pending
That is actually a great idea. May I just ask what brand of PPF you are using on the car?

Sick car by the way, love the color
Hi there,
considering a matte car, but what type of ppf did you put on this car and did it not create the impression of it not being a matte car?
Old 06-28-2020, 06:43 AM

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts
C63S
Originally Posted by gliazzurri
Hi there,
considering a matte car, but what type of ppf did you put on this car and did it not create the impression of it not being a matte car?
Xpel Stealth
Old 06-28-2020, 07:36 AM

pending
Originally Posted by d4md
Xpel Stealth
Is that the matte one or a clear film better to allow visibility underneath? Forgive me I can't remember that despite using Xpel and Suntek many times in the past.

If it is the matte film, I just have a fundamental issue with putting a matte film over a matte paint which essentially takes away the point of getting the paint in the first place and see that as unnecessary, and could just wrap any color car to get the same outcome. Look forward to your input. I have put the other clear PPF on various levels of cars before and am fine with a clear one over a unique paint, but struggle to use a matte opaque film over a desired color to see. Thanks for replying.
Old 06-28-2020, 09:17 AM

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts
C63S
Originally Posted by gliazzurri
Is that the matte one or a clear film better to allow visibility underneath? Forgive me I can't remember that despite using Xpel and Suntek many times in the past.

If it is the matte film, I just have a fundamental issue with putting a matte film over a matte paint which essentially takes away the point of getting the paint in the first place and see that as unnecessary, and could just wrap any color car to get the same outcome. Look forward to your input. I have put the other clear PPF on various levels of cars before and am fine with a clear one over a unique paint, but struggle to use a matte opaque film over a desired color to see. Thanks for replying.
Yes Xpel stealth is a matte film that can be applied to any paint and will make it matte.
If you have a fundamental issue with putting matte film over matte paint, don't do it. But if you get a matte paint car and want to protect it with ppf, I don't think you have a choice. I'm not aware of any non opaque ppf products that don't have a gloss finish.
Old 06-28-2020, 12:21 PM

pending
Originally Posted by d4md
Yes Xpel stealth is a matte film that can be applied to any paint and will make it matte.
If you have a fundamental issue with putting matte film over matte paint, don't do it. But if you get a matte paint car and want to protect it with ppf, I don't think you have a choice. I'm not aware of any non opaque ppf products that don't have a gloss finish.
Thanks for replying. Yes, that's what I thought then, matte film over matte paint. Thanks for confirming that. I agree there is really no other alternative as putting a clear one over defeats the purpose---although to be honest various salespeople are apt to tell you that you can simply put clear film over the matte paint and will look fine--and I tell them it will change the look, much to their opposition that it can be done.

Last edited by gliazzurri; 06-28-2020 at 12:44 PM.
Old 08-18-2022, 04:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bmw
I chose cases for my G from a combination of Alcantara with eco-leather. I bought it in a garage store cover. Externally and to the touch, Alcantara is difficult to distinguish from natural suede. In addition to pleasant sensations, this material is not inferior in wear resistance. Alcantara covers go on the landing part and eco-leather on the sidewalls for convenience and comfort. This way, heat is retained in winter, and the driver feels comfortable. And in the summer, the fabric does not overheat. Such car covers do not require complex care - dust can be easily cleaned with a soft brush or a dry cotton cloth. Softness, velvety, presentable appearance, UV resistance - all this is about Alcantara.

Last edited by sundaycarolyn; 08-22-2022 at 07:21 AM.
Old 08-24-2022, 08:49 AM

LX
You can actually turn a gloss finish matte by using a matte wrap. I would definitely do this before repainting half the car.

Last edited by daryel.corran; 08-24-2022 at 09:46 AM.