SL-Class (R231) 2013 on: Discussion on the SL550

SL/R231: Discount off 2019 models?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-21-2019, 12:23 AM

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts
2015 S550 Coup, 2017 Golf R , 2018 BMW M2 (wifes)
Discount off 2019 models?

Would anyone like to share their discounts off their new 2019 SL 450's (550 maybe the same?) and were they already built or custom ordered?
This edition of the SL is a lame duck and I have to think that dealers would be willing to part with them a bit more easily?
I have read from 12-15%?
Old 03-21-2019, 01:46 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by Dino333
Would anyone like to share their discounts off their new 2019 SL 450's (550 maybe the same?) and were they already built or custom ordered?
This edition of the SL is a lame duck and I have to think that dealers would be willing to part with them a bit more easily?
I have read from 12-15%?
Which edition of the SL is a lame duck?
Old 03-21-2019, 02:19 AM

Originally Posted by Wolfman
Which edition of the SL is a lame duck?
All- Looks like a new ragtop model is to be released , In Europe at least- Next year? Probably in USA very close after- Euro makers dont stagger their releases as much like they used to.
And I think that if its anything like the rendering in this video, it is going to be amazing...

Old 03-21-2019, 09:07 AM
Super Moderator

All- Looks like a new ragtop model is to be released , In Europe at least- Next year? Probably in USA very close after- Euro makers dont stagger their releases as much like they used to.
And I think that if its anything like the rendering in this video, it is going to be amazing...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMkiFVwSg9Y
The release for the new SL is scheduled for late 2020.
I have seen this this rendering a while back and if so, if would look great and I am certain that it will look better than the current iteration as it will be designed by AMG.
That said, I won’t call it a lame duck because to many it possesses features likely not a available in the next model.
1. A 2 seater. 2+2 is not as good top down due to wind buffeting
2. Hardtop. I like our hard top with magic sky. Makes the car a full 4 season coupe. A soft top will be more limiting.
3. Price. Since the car will replace the S-class cab as well, I predict the price will increase and the lease subsidies will be less or gone. This is just my personal assumption though.

So the SL would likely be an alternative even past 2020 for many. Knowing myself, neither will stop me of getting the next SL

Last edited by Wolfman; 03-21-2019 at 09:09 AM.
Old 03-22-2019, 10:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,439 Likes on 952 Posts
No more MB:(
Looks quite impressive. I hope MB doesn't muck up the interior with some obnoxious oversized tablet.
Old 03-22-2019, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by places
Looks quite impressive. I hope MB doesn't muck up the interior with some obnoxious oversized tablet.
Those days are over- it will be the "side by side" screens that are showing up in the A, C, E and S series. Personally I think the new SL is going to be amazing. While I prefer a hard top convertible- this new SL will be amazing.
Old 03-22-2019, 01:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 328 Likes on 292 Posts
2013 SL550 (Lux Sport), 2006 CL55 AMG (Muscle). S550 (Wife's Sedan)
Well, all I can say is that the new 2021 SL Class will not be "amazing" to me with only a Cabriolet soft top...The folding hardtop is 'everything' to me, and absolutely essential for any convertible that I would consider in the future. I've owned soft top convertibles in the past, (including SL's), but I never want to own another one!

However, there may still be a choice of SL's body styles at some point. There is a possibility that MB will offer an SL Hardtop Coupe version of the SL Class as well, although it may not come at the same time as the Cabriolet. ;I have seen pictures of a White 'mule' prototype, and if you search on google most liekly you'll likely find the same pics. That doesn't mean it will necessarily make it to production of course, but there is a reasonable chance that it will. So, perhaps at some point you may be able to choose from 2 different SL body types. and the hardtop coupe may indeed be called the SLC, (the SL Coupe), just as it was back in the 70's. Should it make it into production, it would definitely be a 2+2 in terms of seating, but with a backseat/storage area that is larger than what you will get from the upcoming Cabriolet. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see this 'rumored SL Hardtop Coupe' eventually become more popular than the upcoming SL Cabriolet Convertible model if indeed it makes it into production. Time will tell I suppose!

That said, I am reasonably sure that my current SL will be my last SL, but perhaps not my last Mercedes-Benz.

As I have said before, it's really sad to see we are nearing the end of the Vario Roof Folding Hardtop production. MB's decision to drop it for 2021 is a real shame and marks the 'end of an era' for so many loyal SL owners...

Last edited by bob55; 03-22-2019 at 05:17 PM.
The following users liked this post:
places (03-22-2019)
Old 03-22-2019, 04:29 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by bob55
Well, all I can say is that the new 2021 SL Class will not be "amazing" to me with only a Cabriolet soft top...The folding hardtop is 'everything' to me, and absolutely essential for any convertible that I would consider in the future. I've owned soft top convertibles in the past, (including SL's), but I never want to own another one!

However, there probably will be a choice of SL's in 2021. I think MB will also offer an SL Hardtop Coupe as well, so you may not be limited to only the Cabriolet Convertible version. Furthermore, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the SL Hardtop Coupe is way more popular than the Cab Convertible on the upcoming 2021 SL Class models.

That said, I am reasonably sure that my current SL will be my last SL, but perhaps not my last Mercedes-Benz.

As I have said before, it's really sad to see we are nearing the end of the Vario Roof Folding Hardtop production. MB's decision to drop it for 2021 is a real shame and marks the 'end of an era' for so many loyal SL owners...
While I agree with you on the folding hardtop; something that makes the car practical year around, it has fallen out of fashion due to weight and that it only works well with 2 seaters. The BMW 3 series and Volvo were crappy examples of trying to scan a larger opening with a hardtop. But as I said before, the only car left with a hardtop once the SL goes "soft" is the Ferrari Portofino...
Not a usable choice for many...
The chances that MB will create a SL hardtop coupe are virtually nil. Even in the seventies, the SLC models were not a commercial success
places (03-22-2019)
Old 03-22-2019, 08:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,391 Likes on 1,934 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon
Originally Posted by Wolfman
While I agree with you on the folding hardtop; something that makes the car practical year around, it has fallen out of fashion due to weight and that it only works well with 2 seaters. The BMW 3 series and Volvo were crappy examples of trying to scan a larger opening with a hardtop. But as I said before, the only car left with a hardtop once the SL goes "soft" is the Ferrari Portofino...
Not a usable choice for many...
The chances that MB will create a SL hardtop coupe are virtually nil. Even in the seventies, the SLC models were not a commercial success
I guess we pretty much all feel that the R232 did not need to become a 2+2, it should have remained a 2 seater. It should have retained the retractable hard top due to fact that it is relatively unique, has been refined over the years to the point where it is pretty much perfect, extremely comfortable and because a cloth top really is not in the same league. As for weight, why the SL had to become a pure AMG Model is beyond me. They have their AMG GT sports cars, the SL should have remained a pure MB, ultra comfortable, ultra luxurious roadster and weight, to a certain extent, be damned. Can you even imagine a newly designed SL with the V8 from the S560 or the amazing I6, with ABC standard, new bodywork—with the Vario Roof—updated electronics, a fabulous sound system and maybe the CCB brake & forged wheel options? Add some truly exciting colors and I believe sales would have blasted off, even if the whole world seems to want an electric SUV. There are plenty of guys like me out there, who want something wonderful, below a Bentley or Ferrari, but way better than the R231. I feel MB has truly dropped the ball here.
places (03-22-2019)
Old 03-23-2019, 04:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW
2019 Mercedes-Benz SLC SLC 300 is also a lame duck modal? what do you think?
Old 03-23-2019, 08:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,439 Likes on 952 Posts
No more MB:(
Some excellent points made with regards to the future of the SL. If in fact they come out with a pure AMG model would that not pose threat diluting the current GT? Why would they do this? Why not come out with a roadster that is simply better in every way than the current one and without it being a 2+2. I agree in that the SL always exuded an air of luxury with sport but in classic and timeless way. Has MB lost the way on this classic? They seems to be more focused on telling the market what they want as opposed to what the market wants.
Old 03-23-2019, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by zaidazam1881
2019 Mercedes-Benz SLC SLC 300 is also a lame duck modal? what do you think?
Absolutely is
Old 03-23-2019, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by Streamliner
I guess we pretty much all feel that the R232 did not need to become a 2+2, it should have remained a 2 seater. It should have retained the retractable hard top due to fact that it is relatively unique, has been refined over the years to the point where it is pretty much perfect, extremely comfortable and because a cloth top really is not in the same league. As for weight, why the SL had to become a pure AMG Model is beyond me. They have their AMG GT sports cars, the SL should have remained a pure MB, ultra comfortable, ultra luxurious roadster and weight, to a certain extent, be damned. Can you even imagine a newly designed SL with the V8 from the S560 or the amazing I6, with ABC standard, new bodywork—with the Vario Roof—updated electronics, a fabulous sound system and maybe the CCB brake & forged wheel options? Add some truly exciting colors and I believe sales would have blasted off, even if the whole world seems to want an electric SUV. There are plenty of guys like me out there, who want something wonderful, below a Bentley or Ferrari, but way better than the R231. I feel MB has truly dropped the ball here.
WHile I am in agreement with you , you just described a $180-200k car that has to have the folding hardtop completely re designed in an era where cars, much less coupes are going away. The volumes built and the volume of scale would be highly negative to MB meaning the costs would be much higher. And while you described the perfect roadster for many of us. We are getting fewer and further between who have that kind of money for a 2nd or 3rd car. Most now with that money are buying Range Rovers, Big Merc Suvs etc... The brave (bland) new world.
Old 03-23-2019, 03:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

WHile I am in agreement with you , you just described a $180-200k car that has to have the folding hardtop completely re designed in an era where cars, much less coupes are going away. The volumes built and the volume of scale would be highly negative to MB meaning the costs would be much higher. And while you described the perfect roadster for many of us. We are getting fewer and further between who have that kind of money for a 2nd or 3rd car. Most now with that money are buying Range Rovers, Big Merc Suvs etc... The brave (bland) new world.
I must disagree about the price. All I have described is a new 2-Seat, Vario Roof SL, using existing engines & tech. If they did it, I don’t see the price going much above the typical price increase that most new models get. Sure, I could see $9K for the CCB option & maybe $4K for forged wheels, but those would be optional.

As far as salability goes, if they can build the new 2+2 AMG SL, they could build the car I describe. And, I believe the demand for a Vario Roof SL would be higher, just because it is different and not a rag top. All that said, the SL is a niche vehicle—in any form—which will be sold in tiny quantities compared to pretty much any SUV. Obviously MB feels there is still a decent market for the SL, I just feel that they have misjudged the market by doing an AMG 2+2 rag top. Lots of loyal customers will be holding onto their R231’s, rather than switch to something they feel is an imposter posing as an SL.

Last edited by Streamliner; 03-23-2019 at 03:33 PM.
Old 03-23-2019, 03:48 PM

I must disagree about the price. All I have described is a new 2-Seat, Vario Roof SL, using existing engines & tech. If they did it, I don’t see the price going much above the typical price increase that most new models get. Sure, I could see $9K for the CCB option & maybe $4K for forged wheels, but those would be optional.

As far as salability goes, if they can build the new 2+2 AMG SL, they could build the car I describe. And, I believe the demand for a Vario Roof SL would be higher, just because it is different and not a rag top. All that said, the SL is a niche vehicle—in any form—which will be sold in tiny quantities compared to pretty much any SUV. Obviously MB feels there is still a decent market for the SL, I just feel that they have misjudged the market by doing an AMG 2+2 rag top. Lots of loyal customers will be holding onto their R231’s, rather than switch to something they feel is an imposter posing as an SL.
You could be right- we will see- however there is even a split in the "convertible/Roadster" world on hardtops/softops. Some swear by a hardtop, others like cloth. And Mercedes makes some very nice cloth roofs. That further dilutes the sales. I will be buying an SL and I prefer the hard top roof, but I could easily go the other way if it looked right. It is very difficult for convertibles to look good top and top down. The SL succeeds but isnt the best looking Mercedes IMO. I own an S550 Coupe- LOVE it but giving it up for the SL- but the convertible S Coupe is even better looking to me with its cloth top and would (probably) not be worth it or look better as a Vario. The BMW 6 cloth top is so nice and exquisite (to me) perfect proportion and better than the hard top coupe IMO, but again I dont think it could be duplicated with a Vario Roof and as such I would choose the ragtop 6. I also think that the cloth roof of the C series MB is not that great- its OK but I prefer the standard coupe as far as looks go to me. The C would never get a Vario roof its too far down the foodchain- but that C63 Coupe is beautiful. Choosing the SL for the convertible aspect and exclusivity and ABC ride- and I can play DVD movies through the Nav system while in Motion...nothing like the 3 stooges while crusing through town LOL
Old 03-23-2019, 07:30 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by places
Some excellent points made with regards to the future of the SL. If in fact they come out with a pure AMG model would that not pose threat diluting the current GT? Why would they do this? Why not come out with a roadster that is simply better in every way than the current one and without it being a 2+2. I agree in that the SL always exuded an air of luxury with sport but in classic and timeless way. Has MB lost the way on this classic? They seems to be more focused on telling the market what they want as opposed to what the market wants.
It was stated some time ago that the AMG GT and the upcoming SL will share the same platform for cost purposes. The SL will be focus on the luxury, the GT towards performance.
Old 03-23-2019, 07:35 PM
Super Moderator

Keep in mind that AMG is more involved in MB product development than most think. The S560 engine you like was solely developed by AMG and uses countless AMG parts. The M176 engine is in the S560, the AMG GT has the M178 engine and the other AMG '63 models have the M177 engine. Same overall engine design.
Old 03-24-2019, 03:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLE
Hi, Need help. Can anybody help me to get the control number to get the employee discount. As we are planning purchase MB 2019/2020 model SUV.
As per the discussion with dealer we may get upto 10-12% discount if we get the control number. Friends any MB employee can help me here. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-24-2019, 11:16 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Rajesh0919
Hi, Need help. Can anybody help me to get the control number to get the employee discount. As we are planning purchase MB 2019/2020 model SUV.
As per the discussion with dealer we may get upto 10-12% discount if we get the control number. Friends any MB employee can help me here. Thanks in advance.
Why in the world would anyone do such a thing for you? Looks like you created an account just to ask this question. This isn’t a coupon site...
The following 2 users liked this post by Wolfman:
Keon (03-26-2019), places (03-24-2019)
Old 03-24-2019, 12:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You could be right- we will see- however there is even a split in the "convertible/Roadster" world on hardtops/softops. Some swear by a hardtop, others like cloth. And Mercedes makes some very nice cloth roofs. That further dilutes the sales. I will be buying an SL and I prefer the hard top roof, but I could easily go the other way if it looked right. It is very difficult for convertibles to look good top and top down. The SL succeeds but isnt the best looking Mercedes IMO. I own an S550 Coupe- LOVE it but giving it up for the SL- but the convertible S Coupe is even better looking to me with its cloth top and would (probably) not be worth it or look better as a Vario. The BMW 6 cloth top is so nice and exquisite (to me) perfect proportion and better than the hard top coupe IMO, but again I dont think it could be duplicated with a Vario Roof and as such I would choose the ragtop 6. I also think that the cloth roof of the C series MB is not that great- its OK but I prefer the standard coupe as far as looks go to me. The C would never get a Vario roof its too far down the foodchain- but that C63 Coupe is beautiful. Choosing the SL for the convertible aspect and exclusivity and ABC ride- and I can play DVD movies through the Nav system while in Motion...nothing like the 3 stooges while crusing through town LOL
I like the look of fabric tops as well, but there are huge disadvantages to them. You have not lived until your very expensive fabric top has been slashed by some jerk. Even if the entire, fabric cover is replaced with a new one from the factory, there is a better than even chance that it will not seal nearly like the one installed at the factory and will never stop “talking” to you, with squeaks, creaks and other noises. If one plans on keeping the car for more than a few years (I kept my 2004 SL500 for 12 years), no matter how well kept the car may be, the fabric top will age and deteriorate much faster than the rest of the car.

On the subject of the S Class Cabriolet, I drove an S550 when they first came out and was disappointed. I also drove an S560, hoping for a better experience and was still very disappointed. To me, the car drove very heavy and felt bloated and cumbersome. When I drove away from the dealer in my S560 sedan, it felt like a sports car in comparison. I drove the S Cab and most other, higher end convertibles, because I was not thrilled with the idea of a new R231. I’m not thrilled with the idea of the truly messed up sound system, the itty-bitty infotainment screen, the last generation electronics and what I feel are dismal exterior and interior color choices. However, at the end of the day, if I would not step up to a Bentley (drove it, didn’t like it) or a Ferrari (too loud and almost nothing in the way of safety systems), I made the full circle back to the current SL. For me, it is the absolute best choice for a convertible. My car is scheduled to be built on March 29th, with delivery in May. Can’t wait!

Old 03-26-2019, 12:30 AM

I like the look of fabric tops as well, but there are huge disadvantages to them. You have not lived until your very expensive fabric top has been slashed by some jerk. Even if the entire, fabric cover is replaced with a new one from the factory, there is a better than even chance that it will not seal nearly like the one installed at the factory and will never stop “talking” to you, with squeaks, creaks and other noises. If one plans on keeping the car for more than a few years (I kept my 2004 SL500 for 12 years), no matter how well kept the car may be, the fabric top will age and deteriorate much faster than the rest of the car.

On the subject of the S Class Cabriolet, I drove an S550 when they first came out and was disappointed. I also drove an S560, hoping for a better experience and was still very disappointed. To me, the car drove very heavy and felt bloated and cumbersome. When I drove away from the dealer in my S560 sedan, it felt like a sports car in comparison. I drove the S Cab and most other, higher end convertibles, because I was not thrilled with the idea of a new R231. I’m not thrilled with the idea of the truly messed up sound system, the itty-bitty infotainment screen, the last generation electronics and what I feel are dismal exterior and interior color choices. However, at the end of the day, if I would not step up to a Bentley (drove it, didn’t like it) or a Ferrari (too loud and almost nothing in the way of safety systems), I made the full circle back to the current SL. For me, it is the absolute best choice for a convertible. My car is scheduled to be built on March 29th, with delivery in May. Can’t wait!

Our paths to the SL aren't dissimilar - I have a 2018 GOLF R 7.5 as my daily along with my trusty F150 when the weather is bad. Looking for a back road cruiser. I have a 2015 S550 Coupe Edition 1 in Magnetite black (Dark gray love the color on this S) its a bad *** ride - I mean to me maybe the best looking coupe on the road- exsclusive, powerful and with the air suspension (Airmatic?) to me it drives smaller than it is- very little lean for a 4800 lb. car. But a hustle through the hill country car its not- 4800 lb. is 4800 lb. but I love how it looks and drives other wise. And of course has all the tech. But a convertible is perfect for the hill Country and multiple river driving and yes I do like the hardtop convertible. to me the SL doesn't look near as good or powerful as the S Coupe- but the more I look at it, the more I like it. In one way it has old tech but you know- I LIKE THE SIMPLE DIALS of the HVAC- it has APPLE CAR PLAY that still most MBs dont have- hence I dont care the size of the screen. I am a little bit **** and not thrilled it is to the right of the button stack... but not a deal breaker. And like my S- this version of COMAND allows for DVD playback while in motion- kinda of a cool thing to me. I love that it is a dual personality of sport and boulevard cruiser. I like the built in wind deflector that looks perfect in proportion when the top is down. I actually like and appreciate the 6-8" behind the seats to store stuff- I had a Z4M coupe (WONDERFUL DRIVERS CAR- just amazing- so old school mechanical- and even thought of buying a mint one in the 50k$ range- there are a few out there- but I dont want a manual anymore- my first 30 years of driving were all manuals.) But it had almost zero space behind the seats so even the mall space on the SL is appreciated for computer bag backpack.Will be buying with ABC but not sure that closes those way high tire gaps- this car seriously needs to be lowered a bit- not pimpin lowered just an 1" or so with 10mm spacers.. But will add those over time. So even though not the best looking Mercedes Benz but very handsome and exclusive. I will also add the S63/65 rear lip to it- I think it counteracts that trunk "dip" that I am not a huge fan of. I am still not sure what color it looks best in- but I think i am going with the Blue as it is a beautiful shade of blue and fits the personality of the car- open sky and driving by water LOL. And I think I am going with Saddle brown leather. But after looking at Audi TT-RS, BMW new Z4 9Terrible with the top UP) and old Z4M, keeping my wonderful and uber cool crusier S550 or getting an SL- the SL wins out. And dont disagree with you on the slitting of the top- has and will happen but kinda rare where I live between Austin and San Antonio. Drive your beautiful new car in good health!!
Old 03-26-2019, 05:08 PM
Super Moderator

Always liked Magnetite Black. Had this on our 2015 S-Class and will have it again on a roadster. As stated before, the current SL is technically more advanced than your S550 coupe even though the tech looks more outdated. I think people equate the digital dash as more "techy" but the facelifted SL has newer electronics (ABC, Distronic Plus, CarPlay, etc.). I love tech but have to admit that my priorities for a top-down car is the driving experience rather than big screens.

Also, you will like the SL; the SL is lighter and a bit quicker than the coupe. Will you keep the coupe as well?
places (03-27-2019)
Old 04-08-2019, 07:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 160 Likes on 134 Posts
me: 2015 SL400 & 2015 ML400; wife: 2022 GLC Coupe kid: 2017 GLC SUV
I got all excited about Apple CarPlay only to learn that my ancient 2015 SL doesn't qualify

Interesting (to me) that the list of available car models belies my longstanding opinion that MB is seldom as quick to adopt technology as, say, Lexus; Lexus doesn't have CarPlay till 2019 while some MB's had it in 2016 (looks like Kia got it first!)

Here's hoping this thread gets back to its original intent: to inform new car buyers like Streamliner as to what kind of deals folks are making currently.....

Last edited by eddieo45; 04-08-2019 at 07:53 AM.