C450/C43 AMG
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking to STOP 2019 c43 popping & crackling

Old 03-22-2019, 02:47 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
C43 lol
Looking to STOP 2019 c43 popping & crackling

I have a 2019 C43 coupe with PE. I bought the car knowing that it farted and popped, but expected that with the different drive modes and leaving PE mostly turned off (I purchased the option package that included PE to get the steering wheel) the annoying noises could be minimized. Turns out that's not the case. In every mode (excluding Slippery - which as a Canadian kid who grew up driving sports cars in the days before any form of traction control I can't imagine ever needing) the car farts and pops when driven even remotely aggressively.

I'm not looking to discuss or debate the merits of the popping and farting in this thread, as I know the majority of people with AMGs love it. I'm looking to 1) figure out what combination of engine mapping and mechanical components are responsible for the noises, and 2) figuring out a way to eliminate them. From my perspective (and I suspect at least a small subset of other C43 and other AMG owners) the car would be much more enjoyable if it didn't make the annoying brap on upshifts at anything more than fractional throttle openings, and didn't fart/pop/gurgle in any mode, at any time.

For background, I am aware at a high level how fuel over-run works, and that it is mostly - if not entirely - an engine mapping function. I have looked at the major tuner sites, and so far as I can see no-one offers a tune that eliminates the burbles/cracks/farts, but some purport to offer maps that will introduce it in vehicles that don't have factory maps that produce the noises. Frankly, I'm more than a little suspect of most tuners' products, and making cars quieter isn't their game so not sure how helpful they might be. That said, I would love to be pleasantly surprised by a reputable tuner stepping up and offering a solution.

I'd appreciate any pointers from owners or vendors/tuner with REAL knowledge of how the 2019 C43 farting is accomplished, as it would provide a baseline understanding for how to go about undoing it. A logical starting point if there was something wrong with the car would be the dealer, but in this situation I'm 99% confident no dealer would help me modify the car from the factory setup, nor would any official Mercedes Benz resource be of any help.

Please, don't hijack this thread with comments about why you like it, or arguments about why I should learn to love it. By whatever means necessary, I'll find a way to stop the farting as for me it seriously undermines the enjoyment of an otherwise fine performance vehicle.

Last edited by gcurnew; 03-22-2019 at 03:03 AM.
Old 03-22-2019, 03:02 AM

Received 102 Likes on 77 Posts
GLC43, X P100D, S P100D, CT200H
Originally Posted by gcurnew
I have a 2019 C43 coupe with PE. I bought the car knowing that it farted and popped, but expected that with the different drive modes and leaving PE mostly turned off (I purchased the option package that included PE to get the steering wheel) the annoying noises could be minimized. Turns out that's not the case. In every mode (excluding Slippery - which as a Canadian kid who grew up driving sports cars in the days before any form of traction control - I can't imagine ever needing in a car with AWD and proper snow tires), the car farts and pops when driven even remotely aggressively.

I'm not looking to discuss or debate the merits of the popping and farting in this thread, as I know the majority of people with AMGs love it. I'm looking to 1) figure out what combination of engine mapping and mechanical components are responsible for the noises, and 2) figuring out a way to eliminate them. From my perspective (and I suspect at least a small subset of other C43 and other AMG owners) the car would be much more enjoyable if it didn't make the annoying brap on upshifts at anything more than fractional throttle openings, and didn't fart/pop/gurgle in any mode, at any time.

For background, I am aware at a high level how fuel over-run works, and that it is mostly - if not entirely - an engine mapping function. I have looked at the major tuner sites, and so far as I can see no-one offers a tune that eliminates the burbles/cracks/farts, but some purport to offer maps that will introduce it in vehicles that don't have factory maps that produce the noises. Frankly, I'm more than a little suspect of most tuners' products, and making cars quieter isn't their game so not sure how helpful they might be. That said, I would love to be pleasantly surprised by a reputable tuner stepping up and offering a solution.

I'd appreciate any pointers from owners or vendors/tuner with REAL knowledge of how the 2019 C43 farting is accomplished, as it would provide a baseline understanding for how to go about undoing it. A logical starting point if there was something wrong with the car would be the dealer, but in this situation I'm 99% confident no dealer would help me modify the car from the factory setup, nor would any official Mercedes Benz resource be of any help.

Please, don't hijack this thread with comments about why you like it, or arguments about why I should learn to love it. By whatever means necessary, I'll find a way to stop the farting as for me it seriously undermines the enjoyment of an otherwise fine performance vehicle.
Then you may want to send your car back to the dealer. This is the 1st time Ive ever heard of overrun happening in Comfort of Eco mode. Unless you are hard on the gas it shouldnt be happened too often even in sport mode. Especially with the exhaust off.

In comfort and eco it shouldnt be happening ever.
Old 03-22-2019, 03:10 AM

C43 lol
My car doesn't have an Eco mode. Maybe you're thinking of something other than a 2019 C43? Other 2019 owners report the car farts in Comfort, Sport and Sport+ when Engine setting is anything more than Reduced, i.e. Moderate or Dynamic. In Moderate with the PE valve off the farting is somewhat reduced but still objectionable.
Old 03-22-2019, 03:12 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://effective-tuning.com
Old 03-22-2019, 03:13 AM

Received 102 Likes on 77 Posts
GLC43, X P100D, S P100D, CT200H
My car doesn't have an Eco mode. Maybe you're thinking of something other than a 2019 C43? Other 2019 owners report the car farts in Comfort, Sport and Sport+ when Engine setting is anything more than Reduced, i.e. Moderate or Dynamic. In Moderate with the PE valve off the farting is somewhat reduced but still objectionable.
that is news to me....my car doesnt do that.
Old 03-22-2019, 04:54 AM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
C43 AMG
In Comfort my 2019 doesn't pop or crackle at all, even with the PE Valves Open.
If you're hard on the gas to accelerate on the Autobahn i'd does a deep "Omph!" while changing Gears, which is necessary for the Speedshift to change the Gears as quickly as it does.
But thats far from the Popping and Crackling you get when you're in Sport Plus.
Old 03-22-2019, 08:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 665 Likes on 523 Posts
c
Can you verify that when in individual (custom settings) that when the transmission setting is least aggressive, whatever they call that there, it still does this?
Old 03-22-2019, 09:02 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
2019 C43 AMG
I have a 2019 c43 and I don't get any pops or bangs unless I am in s+. I get louder noise in comfort with the flaps open but I have to be in manual and hard on it. No pops and bangs though.
Old 03-22-2019, 09:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 274 Likes on 204 Posts
'19 CLS450
For clarity, your "Slippery" mode is called Eco in 17-18 MY's.

Honestly, this might be worth a trip to the dealer to check on. AFR could be out of whack for some reason, but not throwing a full CEL? Seems very strange to have S+ level popping in comfort...first I've heard of that.
Old 03-22-2019, 09:27 AM

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts
2019 AMG C43 Sedan
My 2019 will do some "baby pops" on up-shift in comfort with the flaps open occasionally, I've honestly not driven without them open but would assume those should go away, and can't imagine they compare to the full bore Sport + mode noise.
Old 03-22-2019, 09:31 AM

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
TBD
Like others who have posted, I can only get serious exhaust noise in Sport+ with flaps open on my 2019. In Comfort with flaps closed there's really nothing going on on overruns or on upshifts.
Old 03-22-2019, 09:56 AM

C43 lol
No the car doesn't pop as badly in Moderate Engine mode as in Sport, and Sport+...but still does between shifts at any more than 1/4 throttle and on abrupt liftoff when in Drive, and moreso when shifting manually (which I prefer to automatic mode).

I expect that the brap/oomph on upshifts is tied to getting fast shifts on large throttle openings, but it clearly a manufactured sound. I read an account that may or may not be accurate that the sound is amplified by the Burmester which may explain why It appears to be coming from the middle of the car rather than the exhaust.

Just to be clear...whether the car makes less of more of these manufactured/programmed noises is moot. I don't want to hear ANY manufactured pops, crackles or oomphs. I.m looking to find out exactly how they are programmed and then take steps to reprogram the car. My target is my 2012 Cayman S, which has a PDK that shifts as quickly as the AMG and makes no pops/crackles farts in any mode. (Porsche also went down the programmed exhaust noises route in it's later cars, but up to 2013 even Sport+ mode is blissfully devoid of popping/crackling).

Last edited by gcurnew; 03-22-2019 at 01:36 PM.
Old 03-22-2019, 10:07 AM

C43 lol
Originally Posted by alexasa
Can you verify that when in individual (custom settings) that when the transmission setting is least aggressive, whatever they call that there, it still does this?
My only Transmission settings are Manual and Drive (automatic). Farts and oomphs more in manual as I tend to shift around 4500 even when just cruising about. When Engine mode is Moderate is still makes the noises I want to eliminate. The only time the car is quiet is when it's in Drive mode and the throttle openings are small.

FWIW, I am not at all averse to raucously loud (but fartless) exhausts. My 2011 6-speed 911 GTS had the Sport Exhaust and I left the valve open all the time. My current PDK 2012 Cayman S doesn't have PSE but is still about as loud as the AMG without PE, and is actually a bit quiet for my tastes.

If I can eliminatethe braps/oomps/farts/crackles I would leave the PE valve open all the time and drive in only Sport and Sport+ with manual shifting.

Last edited by gcurnew; 03-22-2019 at 10:10 AM.
Old 03-22-2019, 10:47 AM

C43 lol
Originally Posted by RichardCranium3
For clarity, your "Slippery" mode is called Eco in 17-18 MY's.

Honestly, this might be worth a trip to the dealer to check on. AFR could be out of whack for some reason, but not throwing a full CEL? Seems very strange to have S+ level popping in comfort...first I've heard of that.
Thanks for clarification that "Slippery" corresponds to "Eco" in the '17s and '18s. Slippery goes to reduced Engine mode (aka Eco) but I wonder whether it also changes traction control parameters?

New to AMG-land...What does AFR stand for? Not getting S+ level noises in Comfort/Moderate Engine setting...only some upshift/brap noises and small amount of farting and popping. I try to avoid dealers if possible, as I can already see the comments on the work order "Cannot reproduce customer complaint, no faults present in DME."

As an aside, I find it curious that MB doesn't make available more detailed technical information to AMG owners. All I see on Mercedes websites is high-level marketing info touting the virtues of technologies, but nothing close to detailed technical info. Porsche does a pretty decent job in this regard that MB would be well-advised to emulate, IMO.

Last edited by gcurnew; 03-22-2019 at 10:57 AM.
Old 03-22-2019, 04:04 PM

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts
C43 AMG Coupe
It can certainly be done with a tune. I completely lost my crackles / pops on upshift when using some variations of a tune from eurocharged.
The following users liked this post:
gcurnew (03-22-2019)
Old 03-22-2019, 04:11 PM
SPONSOR

Location: Houston/ Austin /Toronto / UAE / Minneapolis / Orlando /Cincinnati
Received 148 Likes on 108 Posts
Eurocharged Performance ML63 and TT lambo
we can rid them completely for you if requested
The following users liked this post:
gcurnew (03-22-2019)
Old 03-22-2019, 04:17 PM

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
C450 AMG - Polar White
sorry to be off topic here, but while on the subject, can someone take a minute to explain how these controlled misfires work? is it just extra fuel (from tuning) being pushed out into the exhaust and igniting? i am curious how certain car mfg's actually "control" this. because most of the time this stuff happens and a non controlled environment it is generally doing some damage, isnt it?
Old 03-22-2019, 07:56 PM

C43 lol
Originally Posted by loungn14
we can rid them completely for you if requested
Thanks for responding. Is there a particular person with experience doing this kind of "detuning" I should be speaking with?
Old 03-22-2019, 08:37 PM
SPONSOR

Location: Houston/ Austin /Toronto / UAE / Minneapolis / Orlando /Cincinnati
Received 148 Likes on 108 Posts
Eurocharged Performance ML63 and TT lambo
Thanks for responding. Is there a particular person with experience doing this kind of "detuning" I should be speaking with?
The houston shop has done it quite a bit. Message me and I can get you taken care of
Old 03-25-2019, 03:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 283 Likes on 194 Posts
2021 Mercedes C63s AMG Coupe
Just so you know, detuning the engine would have the same affects on warranty as tuning it would. I would not take any rushed decision. Breathe. It is not the end of the world. Lets troubleshoot your problem first. The c43 should make absolutely no pop, bangs or farts, at high rpm upshift or low rpm throttle lifotoff, unless the car is in sport or sports+ mode. In sports mode, you have to be in very high RPM to get the upshift bang.

May be there is a programming fault with your car that mercedes needs to fix. First step is to upload a video if you can, so that we can tell you what exactly you are hearing. Second step is to visit dealership, before you go around "detuning" the car.

Should have gone for the non pe version if you hate the noise so much and just replaced the steering wheel instead of getting the PE package for steering wheel and then detuning the car. I am assuming you are in Canada?
Old 03-25-2019, 03:51 PM

Received 126 Likes on 95 Posts
2018 C43 sedan
You may want to remove/turn off the active sound module that pumps exhaust volume and some of the popping noise in to the cabin.
Old 03-25-2019, 04:10 PM

C43 lol
Originally Posted by munis
Just so you know, detuning the engine would have the same affects on warranty as tuning it would. I would not take any rushed decision. Breathe. It is not the end of the world. Lets troubleshoot your problem first. The c43 should make absolutely no pop, bangs or farts, at high rpm upshift or low rpm throttle lifotoff, unless the car is in sport or sports+ mode. In sports mode, you have to be in very high RPM to get the upshift bang.

May be there is a programming fault with your car that mercedes needs to fix. First step is to upload a video if you can, so that we can tell you what exactly you are hearing. Second step is to visit dealership, before you go around "detuning" the car.

Should have gone for the non pe version if you hate the noise so much and just replaced the steering wheel instead of getting the PE package for steering wheel and then detuning the car. I am assuming you are in Canada?
Yes, aware of warranty implications. Getting all the other packages I wanted on a in-stock car meant taking PE; seems somewhat moot though as the sounds are evident with PE off as well. I will do some videos of what's happening in the various modes in the next while and post for input from other owners on whether what I'm seeing/hearing is normal or not.
Old 03-25-2019, 04:21 PM

C43 lol
Originally Posted by HTXgearhead
You may want to remove/turn off the active sound module that pumps exhaust volume and some of the popping noise in to the cabin.
Can you provide links to more info on the sound module; its location and deactivation in a 2019 C43? I make a lot of use of the PET parts catalogue for my Porsches (the same PDFs dealer parts folk use) but have been unable to locate anything similar for Mercedes/AMG. With a parts catalogue, I can start looking at (and understanding) systems and components.

Old 03-25-2019, 07:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,434 Posts
2019 C63CS
Mr AMG always goes through the different modes in his videos and there doesn't seem to be any overrun pops and bangs in Comfort, especially with the exhaust closed, however EU cars now have the particulate filter. Does yours sound different from this? Starting at about 22:13 he demonstrates Comfort mode. It's always been my experience that AMGs quiet down in Comfort mode and with the exhaust closed. Now the upshift farts are a consequence of the ECU cutting the ignition in order to drop the revs fast and for the engine to keep up with the transmission. That's not artificial per se. These transmissions nowadays shift faster than the revs would drop naturally. I haven't driven the C43, but the C63 definitely doesn't pop and bang in anything other than Sport+ and Race. It seems AMG has actually toned it down a bit with the 2019 and some are complaining that it doesn't bang and pop enough anymore. I definitely understand where you are coming from, though. I'm not a particular fan of the artificial bangs and pops. I was actually pleased with how the 2019 C63S sounded when I test drove it the other day.

Old 03-25-2019, 07:06 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
C450
Just a thought, do you have your individual set up in manual mode?

Or do you have it in automatic and then press the manual mode button on the center console?

I ask because you say you drive in manual mode exclusively, and the former would be the easiest set up.

However (not apples to apples as I have a C450), I find that when I set my car to manual mode directly in the individual setting it pops louder than if I were to set it sports+ and press the manual mode button on the center console.

They seem to have set manual mode in individual as the most aggressive setting, even above sports+. For the c450 anyways.

Last edited by aimless; 03-25-2019 at 07:08 PM.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Looking to STOP 2019 c43 popping & crackling