W212 AMG Discuss the W212 AMG's such as the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Eurocharged catless tune & emissions/smog

Old 03-22-2019, 04:28 PM

Received 100 Likes on 47 Posts
M3, E55, cls63
Eurocharged catless tune & emissions/smog

Hey guys I had a quick question for you I have full turbo back downpipes and Eurocharged Stage 2 tune and cannot pass Illinois smog because I have 2 systems not ready Heated O2 sensor and Oxygen Sensor. In Illinois we can have 1 not ready and pass are you guys getting these same monitors not ready? I spoke to someone at Eurochaged houston and he said best bet is to flash back to stock but the problem with that is my CEL will come on from having no cats. I don't want to spend all that labor to remove my turbo back downpipes and put the stock ones back in.
Old 03-22-2019, 06:25 PM

M3, E55, cls63
Any of you guys have luck with o2 spacers? I'm thinking of adding those and flashing back to stock first.
Old 03-23-2019, 03:59 PM

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts
C63 W204 / E63S W212 / E63S W212
https://www.fabspeed.com/universal-o...xoCFrgQAvD_BwE

Try these, some people have had positive experience with them. I personally never used them.
Old 03-25-2019, 12:26 AM

M3, E55, cls63
Originally Posted by Timur4593
https://www.fabspeed.com/universal-o...xoCFrgQAvD_BwE

Try these, some people have had positive experience with them. I personally never used them.
Awesome thanks I'll give them a shot. Anyone else with a tune and catless exhaust able to pass emissions/smog? I've never had a problem in my other cars that had the o2's turned off.
Old 03-25-2019, 01:23 PM

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
2014 E63S AMG
Originally Posted by try m3
Awesome thanks I'll give them a shot. Anyone else with a tune and catless exhaust able to pass emissions/smog? I've never had a problem in my other cars that had the o2's turned off.
In some cars you can force sensor readiness. Speaking with EC, it doesn't seem to be the case with these.
Old 03-25-2019, 02:59 PM

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
2014 E63s 1993 mazda rx7 on Boost
It will not work

The tuner mostly likely turn off the sensor when flashed so you do not see a CEL.
I had this issue when I had my OE tune added. I told them I do not want to have any or issues with CEL being on and I guess they took care of it. Until I went for inspection I saw those were set to "NOT READY"
I tried everything spacers, spacers with 90s, install a cat with POS piping NADA.. they have to re-flash and I passed with the CAT and then for fun I reinstalled my system and I was good to pass inspection with the 90 degree spacer but after like 100 miles I would get a CEl.
The following users liked this post:
try m3 (03-25-2019)
Old 03-25-2019, 04:02 PM

M3, E55, cls63
Originally Posted by brfatal
In some cars you can force sensor readiness. Speaking with EC, it doesn't seem to be the case with these.
We're allowed one not ready to pass in Illinois and I'm getting 2 not ready monitors in this car for heated o2 and oxygen sensors. Which sucks all of my cars are catless and have no problem with just 1 not ready code.
Old 03-25-2019, 04:09 PM

M3, E55, cls63
Originally Posted by sunil517
The tuner mostly likely turn off the sensor when flashed so you do not see a CEL.
I had this issue when I had my OE tune added. I told them I do not want to have any or issues with CEL being on and I guess they took care of it. Until I went for inspection I saw those were set to "NOT READY"
I tried everything spacers, spacers with 90s, install a cat with POS piping NADA.. they have to re-flash and I passed with the CAT and then for fun I reinstalled my system and I was good to pass inspection with the 90 degree spacer but after like 100 miles I would get a CEl.
Yea the o2 sensors are turned off to not trigger the CEL. I was told I would still pass emissions so I went ahead and did the full turbo back downpipes and bridge pipe had I known I would've just done the simple cat delete pipes. Man sounds like such a pain in the *** at this point I think I'll have to flash back to stock and then cut my stock cats out and have a custom section that bolts up to my turbo/bridge pipe. No way am I gonna spend 10-12 hours of labor to put the complete stock section back in then go to emissions then swap the turbo back pipes in again paying another 10-12 hours in labor. If I flash back to stock and use o2 spacers do you think I will pass after driving for 30 miles? Which spacers did you use?
Old 03-25-2019, 08:40 PM

V Band a cat inline and make a test pipe

After inspection pull the cat install test pipe and you are good to go with your flash but you will have a CEL on all the time. The tuner will have to keep the O2s On.
I had Kleemann high flow but you can get some small 200 cell cats and install those with Vband.. this you can swap in a few hrs.
Different starts have diff requirements NY 1 not ready some states 2 not ready if you car is 2000 or older.
Do it once and get yourself test pipes and you will not no issues
Old 03-26-2019, 04:19 PM

M3, E55, cls63
Originally Posted by sunil517
After inspection pull the cat install test pipe and you are good to go with your flash but you will have a CEL on all the time. The tuner will have to keep the O2s On.
I had Kleemann high flow but you can get some small 200 cell cats and install those with Vband.. this you can swap in a few hrs.
Different starts have diff requirements NY 1 not ready some states 2 not ready if you car is 2000 or older.
Do it once and get yourself test pipes and you will not no issues
My only concern is that the cats may be too far downstream, do you have turbo back downpipes as well? Also any pics of your setup, thanks for the help. This seems to be the most reasonable option I think.
Old 03-29-2019, 10:53 PM

any luck with getting inspection

my issue was with 55 and NA63..I am sure these 5.5T are the same with locking out the O2s.
Try pair of those 90 degree O2 spacers and have the tuner turn on your 02s.
Old 04-09-2019, 10:33 AM

Received 105 Likes on 74 Posts
'16 CLS63S
This can all be corrected in the tune. The tuner likely wont do it unless they actually know you personally because it's illegal to tamper with emmsions systems. Huge fines if they get caught. But its 100% possible to code off specific readiness monitors with the MB Star directly or have it done with your tune file. GOOD LUCK
Old 05-01-2019, 01:37 AM

M3, E55, cls63
Originally Posted by bentz69
This can all be corrected in the tune. The tuner likely wont do it unless they actually know you personally because it's illegal to tamper with emmsions systems. Huge fines if they get caught. But its 100% possible to code off specific readiness monitors with the MB Star directly or have it done with your tune file. GOOD LUCK
Talked to multiple tuners and MB techs all you can really do is turn off the secondary o2's to not trigger the CEL this will not help with passing emissions. There's no way to trick these ECU's into allowing the monitors to read ready (on M157 cars). If you turn off the secondary o2's you will have 2 not ready monitors 1 for o2 sensors and 1 for o2 heating circuit causing you to get a reject at smog/emissions. What can work is turn the secondary o2's back on throw on the right size o2 spacer and have the tuner broaden the heating range for your rear o2's.
Old 05-02-2019, 12:56 AM

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
2014 E63S AMG
Does anyone know if the rear O2 sensor is just for emissions or if it's also used for fueling? If it's not just an emissions test device then spacers would be a bad idea.
Old 05-02-2019, 01:01 AM

M3, E55, cls63
Originally Posted by brfatal
Does anyone know if the rear O2 sensor is just for emissions or if it's also used for fueling? If it's not just an emissions test device then spacers would be a bad idea.
Rear o2's are just for emissions primary o2's are what adjust and monitor AFR. Ended up getting the car to pass with o2 spacers and checking the monitors via obd2 iphone app.
Old 05-02-2019, 01:11 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
E63S
Rear o2's are just for emissions primary o2's are what adjust and monitor AFR. Ended up getting the car to pass with o2 spacers and checking the monitors via obd2 iphone app.
What type of O2 spacers did you use? Plan on getting mine tuned as well.. so i will be in the same boat
Old 05-02-2019, 02:47 PM

M3, E55, cls63
Originally Posted by ChiTownE63S
What type of O2 spacers did you use? Plan on getting mine tuned as well.. so i will be in the same boat
Get the vibrant J style spacer with the smallest restrictor you can buy it on amazon. If you're getting a tune DM me I've tried a couple of different tuners on this car will give you some feedback.

Last edited by try m3; 05-02-2019 at 03:16 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ChiTownE63S (05-02-2019)
Old 05-03-2019, 10:21 AM

Received 105 Likes on 74 Posts
'16 CLS63S
Talked to multiple tuners and MB techs all you can really do is turn off the secondary o2's to not trigger the CEL this will not help with passing emissions. There's no way to trick these ECU's into allowing the monitors to read ready (on M157 cars). If you turn off the secondary o2's you will have 2 not ready monitors 1 for o2 sensors and 1 for o2 heating circuit causing you to get a reject at smog/emissions. What can work is turn the secondary o2's back on throw on the right size o2 spacer and have the tuner broaden the heating range for your rear o2's.
Yes there is. Like I said, its illegal to do and unless the tuner actually knows you they will not do it for you. The tuner creates a "patch" which is essentially a tune that has skewed parameters and is coded to purposely NOT trigger CEL's. The patch is meant to be used only until the monitors go ready and will require whatever the drive cycle is for that particular car (xxx amount of miles etc). Then you get the inspection done and flash back to your regular tune. Oddly enough, the monitors will continue to be "complete" after you remove the patch and flash back to your tune. Monitors will reset only if you disconnect the battery or clear the codes.

So think about it....the typical cel you would get for having no cats and the rear o2s turned off does not trigger and eventually the monitor goes ready. And yes, it works for the m157.

Notice anything strange about the emissions patch pic vs the dyno tune? You see how the "fuel system" is ready? Not a typical monitor for these cars but the patch file allows it go complete. Patch file was loaded, drive cycle was completed and primary o2 monitors go ready. Inspection is done, flashed back to the dyno tune file, fuel system monitor doesn't exist anymore and the rear o2s are coded off.

Yes this is a m156 but it works for NUMEROUS benz platforms including m157. But im not here to debate it but rather to tell you that it does work. Good luck

Old 09-01-2020, 01:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C63 AMG
Get the vibrant J style spacer with the smallest restrictor you can buy it on amazon. If you're getting a tune DM me I've tried a couple of different tuners on this car will give you some feedback.
I know this thread is old; however, does anyone think that the defouler/spacer would work on a 2018 C63 AMG? I have downpipes and a DME tune and have failed my inspection.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Old 12-07-2020, 08:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2016 CLA 250 4-matic
Update

Hey any update on your emissions? I am going to be in the same boat in illinois as well.
Old 12-07-2020, 08:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2016 CLA 250 4-matic
Update

Hey any update on your emissions problem? I am in illinois too and wanna figure something out.