C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Long time Lexus owner - pulling a trigger on BS C63 coupe

Old 03-23-2019, 08:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lexus LS430
Long time Lexus owner - pulling a trigger on BS C63 coupe

Hello everyone,

Long time Lexus owner and LS430 fan boy, thinking it's time I hop on the AMG train. Looking forward to being part of this great MB family.

I would like your input regarding this car. It's a 2012 C63 coupe with P30 performance package. The owner has added a Black Series body kit and exhaust, but I'm not sure if it's a genuine Mercedes BS kit. Will be checking the car a month from today.

It has 80,000 miles. A Eurocharge tune, and headers. Oil service has been done recently along with a general maintenance. The owner is also including a set of new suspension struts.

What do you guys think? Your input will be much appreciated.

The owner is asking $32k.

Old 03-23-2019, 12:35 PM

Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts
'12 P31 C63 coupe
What's up Omar,

I'm also a long time Lexus fanboy and had a 2nd gen GS430 (IIRC same engine as your LS430), 1st gen SC300, 06 ES330(still have) and also got a white 2012 P31 Coupe 2 months ago and can tell you my experience of the differences.
  1. Steering wheel is a lot more responsive and "heavy" feeling compared to the Lexus.
  2. The pedal response is a lot more sensitive. I can press down a cm on the gas to maintain speed in the C63, while I have to press down at least an inch to maintain speed.
  3. It's jerkier and bumpier, even in comfort
  4. The stock exhaust sound is amazing
  5. Gas mileage is like 14 mpg.
  6. Parts/maintenance for an AMG is more $$$ and things break more frequently compared to Lexus. I haven't had anything break on my C63 yet but had to get a key and that was already $450. We've had 2 other C classes and had a TCU go out in one, and some hose break in another, and other small stuff like that. I've never had any issues with Lexuses.
  7. Stock for stock, the C63 feels crazy planted compared to the GS and ES. Noticeably less body roll and just makes you feel way more confident in it.

That car looks really clean from the pics and the install looks legit. Mileage is sort of high but if there's maintenance records since the beginning, I would be less worried. Also, make sure you get a PPI, since brakes/tires/anything else could easily be several thousand dollars which add onto the purchase price.

With all that being said, I bought my C63 for a weekend warrior and kept the ES330 for a daily, but ended up almost never driving the ES330 anymore since it's incredibly boring. I've always wanted a C63 and was lucky enough to be in a position to get one, and do not regret it one bit.

I can go on but if you have specific questions, feel free to pm me.

Last edited by magictoilet; 03-23-2019 at 12:54 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Omar Aziz (03-24-2019)
Old 03-23-2019, 02:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 407 Likes on 336 Posts
MB’s
One thing that will be different is the raw performance and sound. No Lexus can compete with that other then a LFA. You will also have to get use to the harder ride vs the LS430. Repair cost are higher because its a AMG. vs a car that shares Toyota parts (Use to have a 92 SC400. Great car). Before the purchase I would 100% get a PPI-Pre Purchase Inspection as they are well worth the money.
Old 03-23-2019, 03:15 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
CLK63 Black
A real BS has bigger brakes, coilover suspension, wider track, more hp, different seats, way more cooling, etc. If you like it get it, but don't think its anything like a real BS. I would think that you should be able to pick it up cheaper. Lots of miles, and you almost never get your money back when you customize a car.
Old 03-23-2019, 03:19 PM

Lexus LS430
Originally Posted by magictoilet
What's up Omar,

I'm also a long time Lexus fanboy and had a 2nd gen GS430 (IIRC same engine as your LS430), 1st gen SC300, 06 ES330(still have) and also got a white 2012 P31 Coupe 2 months ago and can tell you my experience of the differences.
  1. Steering wheel is a lot more responsive and "heavy" feeling compared to the Lexus.
  2. The pedal response is a lot more sensitive. I can press down a cm on the gas to maintain speed in the C63, while I have to press down at least an inch to maintain speed.
  3. It's jerkier and bumpier, even in comfort
  4. The stock exhaust sound is amazing
  5. Gas mileage is like 14 mpg.
  6. Parts/maintenance for an AMG is more $$$ and things break more frequently compared to Lexus. I haven't had anything break on my C63 yet but had to get a key and that was already $450. We've had 2 other C classes and had a TCU go out in one, and some hose break in another, and other small stuff like that. I've never had any issues with Lexuses.
  7. Stock for stock, the C63 feels crazy planted compared to the GS and ES. Noticeably less body roll and just makes you feel way more confident in it.

That car looks really clean from the pics and the install looks legit. Mileage is sort of high but if there's maintenance records since the beginning, I would be less worried. Also, make sure you get a PPI, since brakes/tires/anything else could easily be several thousand dollars which add onto the purchase price.

With all that being said, I bought my C63 for a weekend warrior and kept the ES330 for a daily, but ended up almost never driving the ES330 anymore since it's incredibly boring. I've always wanted a C63 and was lucky enough to be in a position to get one, and do not regret it one bit.

I can go on but if you have specific questions, feel free to pm me.
Hi Magic,
Thanks for your great feedback. It's awesome to get it from a previous Lexus owner, that's great!
Also thanks for providing some insight into your experience. I feel like I'm going into the AMG expecting some comfort loss, but this mean sounding 6.2 V8 makes up for that any day.
My Lexus used to have stock air ride, so it drove like a cloud, silky and smooth. I then tried going to coilovers and it was harsher somewhat, but I appreciated what it picked up for in handling and stability even more.

I get that extra maintenance cost included with a brand like AMG and Mercedes, but it's time to get to know a German made car. I will keep an eye on maintenance records and make sure it looks alright.
Thanks for your offer, I'll make sure to PM you if I come close to getting the car. But I'm also checking up on a 2016 W205 C63S with 12k miles, but with an accident to the side of the passenger that has been fixed. (But honestly favoring the W204 more, especially from the looks of how clean this car seems over the W205)

I've owned a couple of different LS's. Here's my last Lexus, I was never able to finish up the project I had in mind. But on to newer things with the MB.

This is my buddy's 2009 C63 with a Weistec supercharger. Made around ~750hp if I remember.

Originally Posted by C280 Sport
One thing that will be different is the raw performance and sound. No Lexus can compete with that other then a LFA. You will also have to get use to the harder ride vs the LS430. Repair cost are higher because its a AMG. vs a car that shares Toyota parts (Use to have a 92 SC400. Great car). Before the purchase I would 100% get a PPI-Pre Purchase Inspection as they are well worth the money.
Thanks C280,
The LFA is something else, isn't it? A symphonic V10 orchestra.
The SC400 is an awesome car as well. But definitely get what you mean by a harsher ride and just a beast in the difference of performance. Can't deny, the LS430 is an old man's car. No doubt about its smoothness and ride comfort, better than Cadillacs IMO. So it will definitley need some getting used to.

I appreciate your input fellas.
Old 03-23-2019, 03:26 PM

Lexus LS430
Originally Posted by Ron Olson
A real BS has bigger brakes, coilover suspension, wider track, more hp, different seats, way more cooling, etc. If you like it get it, but don't think its anything like a real BS. I would think that you should be able to pick it up cheaper. Lots of miles, and you almost never get your money back when you customize a car.
Thanks, Ron. I absolutely get that, but seem to never be able to convince a seller regarding that. Owners usually think of additions as price bumps, it depends I guess. I'll have to meet up and see the car in person once I sort out the finances. Then I'll be able to see if there would be room for negotiation.
Old 03-23-2019, 03:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 407 Likes on 289 Posts
'10 C63
Just to clarify: I would not call that a black series. It’s missing quite a bit to make it a BS. And if you got it, I would take that black series badge off. But i concur with the 2 above posts.
Old 03-23-2019, 08:13 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63 AMG
I think it's priced about $4-5k high but that body kit is really well done from what we can see in the pictures.
Old 03-24-2019, 10:49 AM

Lexus LS430
Cool, thanks. I will have more updates once I'm able to meet the owner and check the car out.
Old 03-24-2019, 10:55 AM

Received 107 Likes on 60 Posts
2016 GTs, 2014 C63 AMG and 2014 C350 Sport (wife's car, she thinks it's an AMG - shhhhhh)
Originally Posted by Omar Aziz

What do you guys think? Your input will be much appreciated.
Like switching from rice to sauerkraut?
Old 03-25-2019, 06:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 123 Posts
'04 E55 (Gone but not forgotten), '13 C63 P31 (RIP), another '13 C63 PP
I went from a UCF21 to a '13 W204. I had a W211 E55 before. Things seem to be pretty well sorted out with the facelift cars it seems. I have not had any problems aside from regular maintenance, aside from the brake caliper clear coat flaking (replaced under warranty). Parts are definitely more expensive than for a Lexus, but i wouldn't say one is any less reliable than the other. Granted, my LS was at like 230k miles, and my C63 is right at 40k. So, we'll see how she holds up. I also am not modded right now, but my E55 seemed to hold up well to modding.

I'd definitely get a pre-purchase inspection tho.
Old 03-25-2019, 09:49 AM

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts
Present: 2019 C43 Estate
Make sure those are authentic 507 forged rims. Would hate to see $$ spent on a BS conversion while cheapening out with rep rims :/ They only look like 18's to my eyes. A close-up pic of the AMG logo will confirm.
Old 03-25-2019, 10:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 540 Likes on 477 Posts
2010 C300 4MATIC........ 2011 C63 AMG.............. 2015 CLS400 4MATIC.....
Yeah the wheels really don't match the stance it should have or the appearance.