Sponsored by:

Squeaks, ticks and rattles

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-24-2019, 05:13 PM

Received 288 Likes on 141 Posts
E63S Wagon
Squeaks, ticks and rattles

So as I hang out for some 2020 build dates to come across the pond, I scour the web and social media for more and more e63s wagon content. In digging through the comments on a few instagram posts I saw a couple of owners commiserating about their “rattle traps.” Are other wagon (or sedan) owners on here running into rattle/tick/squeak issues on their builds?

I have to flick the passenger side air vent on my current daily driver about once every tank of gas.

Curious to hear any feedback on this. I haven’t seen any dedicated threads (at least recently), but it may just be one of those issues that is out there but never really sparks a thread from any one owner.

I test drove a sedan recently and it was just engine and road noise.
Old 03-24-2019, 09:16 PM

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
E63s AMG wagon
No rattles or squeaks in my 2018 E63S wagon. lol
Old 03-24-2019, 09:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
With the harsh suspension it’s a big problem. There were many reasons that caused me to give up on AMG but the constant annoying cabin noises were a big part of it.
Old 03-24-2019, 11:24 PM

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
2018 E63S
The forums are a blessing and a curse. I almost walked away from my custom order after reading things on here for 9 months while waiting for my 18. I’ve had my car 11 months now and it has been perfect. Don’t believe the hype. The drive is pretty stiff so if that’s not your thing move on.
Old 03-25-2019, 12:07 AM

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Nissan
Sunglasses rattle a little in the holder, but otherwise nothing persistent or intrusive. Car definitely shifts a bit when doing over speed bumps or road imperfections, but that all seems normal to me. 2019 wagon.
Old 03-25-2019, 02:29 AM

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts
E63 S Wagon
Originally Posted by b0rderman
So as I hang out for some 2020 build dates to come across the pond, I scour the web and social media for more and more e63s wagon content. In digging through the comments on a few instagram posts I saw a couple of owners commiserating about their “rattle traps.” Are other wagon (or sedan) owners on here running into rattle/tick/squeak issues on their builds?

I have to flick the passenger side air vent on my current daily driver about once every tank of gas.

Curious to hear any feedback on this. I haven’t seen any dedicated threads (at least recently), but it may just be one of those issues that is out there but never really sparks a thread from any one owner.

I test drove a sedan recently and it was just engine and road noise.
It sounds like you found my Instagram post from the other day before I dropped the wagon off for service. I used that exact phrase!

I have way too many rattles, some I described here in a separate thread. The majority of them started after my windows were tinted. The window glass and/or the upper trim rattle, NOT the door panels or any other component. If you lower the glass slightly, the rattles stop. I watched the installer and he did not pop any panels.

I have a few others from the driver door speaker area, passenger footwell, and a few odd noises from the rear. I also have an absolutely annoying creak from the driver door whenever the chassis is flexing.

We'll see what the dealer says. A few other fit finish issues, like the lower plastic trim piece on the side of my seat keeps popping off.
Old 03-25-2019, 10:21 AM

Received 288 Likes on 141 Posts
E63S Wagon
Originally Posted by wdimagineer
It sounds like you found my Instagram post from the other day before I dropped the wagon off for service. I used that exact phrase!
I bet I did...I saw another one I think from some guys in the UK, but now I can't find it.

I appreciate the comments that the forums amplify any and all issues...I thought if I made an easy spot for owners to come and chime in "no rattles" then we might get a better sample size and more realistic scope. That appears to be happening.

Like I said, the sedan I drove was solid...as are most MB on the road.
Old 03-25-2019, 10:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 665 Likes on 513 Posts
go fast grocery getter wagon
Mine is a wagon. I have squeaking from the trunk headliner, I have already taken in to have it fixed and they removed the headliner and replaced a few clips. This was a few months ago and the squeaking sound is still there but not as loud as before and it comes and goes as mine is pretty well based on temperature. If it gets cold, then the noise is there 50% of the time. My personal fix is to push up the trunk headliner section and the noise is gone (well, at least until the next time when the noise reappears).
Old 03-25-2019, 08:06 PM

Received 58 Likes on 38 Posts
2022 4 Runner Pro, supercharged and lifted Lime Rush, 2018 E63s wagon Edition 1
My 2018 (04/18) ED 1 wagon, which I've had since June 2018 has been problem free so far and that includes being free of rattles, squeaks, etc. And since it is an ED 1 it also has the sports seats which I find to be just fine even on long drives.
Old 03-25-2019, 09:12 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2018 amg e63s
14000 miles and no squeaks or rattles here. Knock on wood...
Old 03-26-2019, 12:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My 2019 wagon has 70mi on it and there is a ticking type rattle from the center headliner where the two panels of the pano roof meet. I find the build quality to be sub par to other MB cars, even a regular E class. I hear a lot of hard plastic ticking type sounds.

To me, the key to tackling rattles is finding a dealer who is willing to chase them down and help fix them.
Old 03-26-2019, 10:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 Audi R8
So tired of the noises in my cabin with the acoustic comfort package. If I'm on the phone at 60-70 mph it's really pissing me off. I took already to dealer they replaced seat belt assembly after keeping it 4 days and driving it 25 miles. Now there's 3 areas where I hear the noises and I just don't have time for visiting the dealer and getting into a C300 loaner.

I am notifying dealer on next visit that this is revisit #2 of same issue and I'm going to start lemon law buy back proceedings if they continue having me come back. I shouldn't have to blast the radio to avoid ticks and rattles in a 120K+ MSRP vehicle.
Old 03-26-2019, 03:17 PM

Received 99 Likes on 58 Posts
18 E63s Wagon 15 GL63 (sold), 10 Turbo TT MT, A36 Bonanza, 20 JLU Rubicon
my sunglasses will rattle....other than that, the car is what you would expect from an AMG spec car running thin tires at a pretty high air pressure. You can drop your pressure and the car is better but then you run the risk of dinging a rim. I had an e350 loaner and it is a lot more quiet for sure, but it was a sedan vs my wagon.

back to your original question.... no rattles and fantastic build quality..... just keep it in Sport + and enjoy the exhaust!
Old 03-26-2019, 04:48 PM

Received 109 Likes on 71 Posts
‘22 Ram Limited 4x4, '21 GLE63S, ‘14 Corvette Stingray
Originally Posted by pentium7
So tired of the noises in my cabin with the acoustic comfort package. If I'm on the phone at 60-70 mph it's really pissing me off. I took already to dealer they replaced seat belt assembly after keeping it 4 days and driving it 25 miles. Now there's 3 areas where I hear the noises and I just don't have time for visiting the dealer and getting into a C300 loaner.

I am notifying dealer on next visit that this is revisit #2 of same issue and I'm going to start lemon law buy back proceedings if they continue having me come back. I shouldn't have to blast the radio to avoid ticks and rattles in a 120K+ MSRP vehicle.
Legit question here. For a lemon buyback shouldn’t the problem affect the drivertrain and drive ability of the car? So it can’t be something like squeaky breaks or rattle headliner, correct?

In my wagon I noticed the the glass hammer sometimes will rattle in the glovebox depending on where it’s at, and sometimes my glasses will rattle. Otherwise the cargo cover has rattled when closed a couple of times over hard rough roads at modest speeds. This is in a wagon.

Last edited by Dunga; 03-27-2019 at 06:08 PM.
Old 03-27-2019, 05:15 PM

Received 99 Likes on 58 Posts
18 E63s Wagon 15 GL63 (sold), 10 Turbo TT MT, A36 Bonanza, 20 JLU Rubicon
Originally Posted by Dunga
Legit question here. For a lemon buyback shouldn’t the problem after the drivertrain and drive ability of the car? So it can’t be something like squeaky breaks or rattle headliner, correct?

In my wagon I noticed the the glass hammer sometimes will rattle in the glovebox depending on where it’s at, and sometimes my glasses will rattle. Otherwise the cargo cover has rattled when closed a couple of times over hard rough roads at modest speeds. This is in a wagon.
can you please check what your tire pressure is and if you are driving it around in anything other than Comfort...well that doesn't count? I live in Brooklyn and never ever have that kind of rattling (other than crap left in the door pocket like my wife's glasses)...
Old 03-27-2019, 06:08 PM

Received 109 Likes on 71 Posts
‘22 Ram Limited 4x4, '21 GLE63S, ‘14 Corvette Stingray
Will do when I get back to the country next week. I have been in comfort as I’m still in break in. I did notice one of the pockets where the cargo cover goes in is a tiny bit loose that I need to have the dealership either fix or replace. I’m talking about the plastic part of it surrounding the “hole?” Where you’d snap the cargo cover in on either side. One side is a little loose. Maybe that’s why?
Old 03-29-2019, 01:06 AM

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
2015 Range Rover Sport Autobiography; 2019 AMG E63S; 2021 Range Rover HSE Westminister
My C63S rattles and squicks and crashses over bumps. After 3 yrs I am getting out of it and looking at the E63S. There is one with everything but the HUD and I found that hard to swallow. I have it in the C63S and so used to it. Anyway no way am getting back intro another C63S mainly due to the rattling and lack of AWD. My options now are GLC63S, or E63S. At this point I am thinking wait see what the 2020 cars are like. I even changed my tires to the new Michellin AS3+ and that has helped a lot but the car still rattles bad.

I test drove an E63S and didn't hear the rattling. Are people experiencing anything approaching the C63S levels of unwanted noises?, because that is a deal breaker for me.