Coupe/Roadster
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Issue with clutch reversing?

Old 03-25-2019, 06:09 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
AMG GTS
Issue with clutch reversing?

Hi everyone, I recently replaced my C63 507 edition with a 2016 GTS and there seems to be an issue when the car is in reverse. When reverse is engaged you have to really rev the car to a high rpm to get it to start moving, almost like a slipping clutch or something. It seems to do it more when the car is started from a cold start and moving out of my garage. I think if I had to reverse it up a hill it would struggle to even make it up! Does anyone know what this could be? Thanks in advance.
Old 03-25-2019, 09:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 692 Likes on 435 Posts
AMG
Mine is similar depending on the mode I'm in, and I assumed it was to keep you from reversing into a wall.
Old 03-25-2019, 08:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 949 Likes on 570 Posts
‘24 BMW iX M60
This is not normal and sounds as if the clutches’ engagement needs to be reset at the dealership.
Old 03-25-2019, 08:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
16 AMG GTS
Automatic parking brake? I thought this was strange too, but this may be what you are talking about.
Old 03-29-2019, 06:13 PM

Received 245 Likes on 152 Posts
Designo White AMG GTS
Mine has only done this when I've left it parked outside overnight in sub 50 degree weather.
Old 03-29-2019, 06:14 PM

Received 245 Likes on 152 Posts
Designo White AMG GTS
Originally Posted by Tarek Elalayli
Automatic parking brake? I thought this was strange too, but this may be what you are talking about.
that might be it also

when the automatic parking brake is on, the car seems to require more throttle input to get moving initially
Old 03-31-2019, 04:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
AMG GTS
Originally Posted by kumizi
that might be it also

when the automatic parking brake is on, the car seems to require more throttle input to get moving initially
having the two parking break realeases, excuse my ignorance but what is the difference between the ‘p’ button on the gear lever and the pull release next to the steering wheel? Obviously they are different, but why the two?
Old 04-01-2019, 01:29 AM

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
Lifted G500, GT-S, track Cooper S
P on the console is putting the transmission in park, which automatically engages the electronic parking brake. The lever on the dash separately disengages the parking brake ONLY. If you put the car in park, and then put it back in drive/reverse to start moving again (including shutting car off/on again) and DON'T manually release the parking brake with the lever on the dash, the car will automatically release it as mentioned above, but it takes a bit of torque/movement for the car to release it. I am sure that is a safety thing to prevent it from simply taking off with little resistance.
Old 04-03-2019, 09:24 AM

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts
G63 & 991.2 GT3 & AMG GT
Check the condition of your battery - they can misbehave between P/D & P/R, when the lacking charge.

Easy potential fix, that I know worked for me and another owner.
Old 04-03-2019, 01:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘24 BMW iX M60
Originally Posted by invictusmaneo
P on the console is putting the transmission in park, which automatically engages the electronic parking brake. The lever on the dash separately disengages the parking brake ONLY. If you put the car in park, and then put it back in drive/reverse to start moving again (including shutting car off/on again) and DON'T manually release the parking brake with the lever on the dash, the car will automatically release it as mentioned above, but it takes a bit of torque/movement for the car to release it. I am sure that is a safety thing to prevent it from simply taking off with little resistance.
When you place the transmission in Park by pushing the ‘P’ button, the actual parking/emergency brake doesn’t activate. It only does so when you push the Stop button; open the driver’s door or manually push in the parking brake ‘handle’.
The following users liked this post:
California John (04-03-2019)
Old 04-03-2019, 02:12 PM

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
1997 SL600, 2017 AMG GTS
Originally Posted by thebishman
When you place the transmission in Park by pushing the ‘P’ button, the actual parking/emergency brake doesn’t activate. It only does so when you push the Stop button; open the driver’s door or manually push in the parking brake ‘handle’.
Are you saying that if you just push the 'P' button, and take your foot off the brake, it won't roll? Because that hasn't been my experience.
Old 04-03-2019, 06:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘24 BMW iX M60
Originally Posted by sneezix
Are you saying that if you just push the 'P' button, and take your foot off the brake, it won't roll? Because that hasn't been my experience.
So in my car it is very easy to hear the parking brake being engaged. When I come to a stop and push the ‘P’ button for the transmission, the parking brake does not engage, unless I do one of the above three things.

Bish
Old 04-03-2019, 10:09 PM

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
15 AMG S63 4-matic coupe
In older years, automatic transmissions would have a pin as park that locked the tranny in place.
I do not know if they implemented a similar system on the DCT.

but this will tell you more than you ever wanted to know.
http://www.diva-portal.org/smash/get...FULLTEXT01.pdf

in short the paring brake in installed inside the rotor of the brake, basically a little mini drum and shoe set up.

whereas the park mechanism is within the gearbox and locks the out shaft of the tranny so the wheels won't turn.
Old 04-05-2019, 09:39 PM

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
1997 SL600, 2017 AMG GTS
Originally Posted by thebishman
So in my car it is very easy to hear the parking brake being engaged. When I come to a stop and push the ‘P’ button for the transmission, the parking brake does not engage, unless I do one of the above three things.

Bish
I also hear the parking brake being engaged (and feel the brake pedal move) when I simply press the 'P' button. The odd thing is that the parking brake engages when I open my door, even if I never touched the 'P' button. Maybe it's a MY thing (mine is a 2017), or maybe your'P' button isn't functioning correctly?
Old 04-06-2019, 05:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘24 BMW iX M60
Originally Posted by sneezix
I also hear the parking brake being engaged (and feel the brake pedal move) when I simply press the 'P' button. The odd thing is that the parking brake engages when I open my door, even if I never touched the 'P' button. Maybe it's a MY thing (mine is a 2017), or maybe your'P' button isn't functioning correctly?
Mine functions according to how the Owner’s manual states it should tbh. In fact I’m really glad that the parking brake doesn’t engage when simply placing the transmission in ‘P’ as when you pull off the track that last thing you want to have happen when you stop and park is for the parking brake to engage. You prevent this by pressing ‘P’; then holding in the Parking brake ‘handle’ as you turn off the engine. This stops it engaging.

Bish
The following users liked this post:
California John (04-06-2019)
Old 02-17-2020, 05:29 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
2016 AMG GTS
Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead, but my new-to-me 2016 GTS is exhibiting similar behavior.

I had a situation the other day where I was stopped in line for a traffic light, and decided to turn around, requiring a three-point turn. The parking brake definitely wasn't engaged, as I had just come to a stop and was holding the brake pedal. When I put the car into reverse, it took probably 50% or more throttle just to get the car moving at a crawl. Didn't seem like the clutch was slipping or anything- the engine just didn't seem to be responding to my throttle input.

Is this something to be concerned about? I only have ~6 months of factory warranty remaining, so I may take it in just to be safe, though I'm not sure they'll be able to replicate it.

Old 02-17-2020, 06:54 PM

Received 107 Likes on 64 Posts
'07 CL550
Originally Posted by kblask
Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead, but my new-to-me 2016 GTS is exhibiting similar behavior.

I had a situation the other day where I was stopped in line for a traffic light, and decided to turn around, requiring a three-point turn. The parking brake definitely wasn't engaged, as I had just come to a stop and was holding the brake pedal. When I put the car into reverse, it took probably 50% or more throttle just to get the car moving at a crawl. Didn't seem like the clutch was slipping or anything- the engine just didn't seem to be responding to my throttle input.

Is this something to be concerned about? I only have ~6 months of factory warranty remaining, so I may take it in just to be safe, though I'm not sure they'll be able to replicate it.
That doesn’t sound normal to me. The engine barely revved while pressing the throttle? Could some hill start assist mechanism have kicked in?

When my GT S is parked in my garage for an extended period in cold winter weather, I need to rev the engine a fair bit when backing up to overcome the parking brake sticking, then it starts to move abruptly once the parking brake gets unstuck. However, this shouldn’t happen when you’re just driving the car on the road. Even when parking the car (when auto parking brake engages), it shouldn’t stick unless the car is parked for several days/weeks in a damp or cold environment.

Last edited by wizee; 02-17-2020 at 08:01 PM.
Old 02-17-2020, 10:33 PM

Received 184 Likes on 141 Posts
/////PRO
DCT behavior all, nothing to worry about.