GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

Production delays/ timeline

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-26-2019, 09:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
s550
Production delays/ timeline

Talked to a couple of dealers in NE and they all seem to indicate production delays. Ordering a car can take anywhere from 4-5 months. in US? Seems strange. There are a lot of stripper 450s sitting on the lots but to get a loaded car is a problem? why? e-sys seems especially problematic to order/ find
At this rate one will get the car in September. By then - there will be v8 available so it makes sense to pre-order and wait for 2020 GLE580 - but no one knows the specs.
From GLS forums it looks like 470 HP - meaning it already loosing to x5 50 with 523 HP before it is even released.
Any advise on ordering a loaded 450 with sooner delivery?

Popular Reply

07-24-2019, 10:22 AM
Hurricane1938

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts
GLE450W4

Comments about GLE Production

Daimler AG (DDAIF) CEO Ola Källenius on Q2 2019 Results –

Earnings Call Transcript

Jul. 24, 2019 8:40 AM ET

About: Daimler AG (DDAIF)

Earning Call Audio

Daimler AG (OTCPKDAIF) Q2 2019 Earnings Conference Call July 24, 2019 1:30 AM ET

Skipping ahead to the question from Stephen Reitman from Societe Generale:

Stephen Reitman

Good morning, A operational question. You've mentioned that you have very strong demand for the new GLE. And I guess, GLS, but I guess, the problem is being you won't be able to supply the vehicles in sufficient quantities. How far are you through resolving those problems - bringing up to the full production levels that you plan to be at?

Thank you.

Ola Källenius

So starting with the launch of the GLE and then also the GLS, which is imminent in our operations in Tuscaloosa in the United States. We started that launch late last fall and primarily, due to supplier constraints, we have not been able to follow the launch we had originally set out to do.

The product itself is very hard. We received tremendous feedback from our dealers and from customers. But it's not satisfactory position when you can't deliver and you have demand. We have put together comprehensive measures, primarily at the suppliers, but also at the plant to tee up in the second half of the year to get back on track.

We used the traditional shutdown that is around 4th of July, just a couple of weeks ago, to do retooling at many of the suppliers where we've had constraints and we're ramping up after that retooling. And also here I would say I'm cautiously optimistic, even though you have after every tool like that some issues that you have to go through. And it feels like I'm looking every day at these numbers and the team on the ground are cautiously optimistic that they can turn that situation around.

So we believe yes, that availability will be significantly better in the second half of the year. And also, some of that stock Harald alluded to that as part of the working capital that we have built up that is sitting to be finished that we can wind that stock down in the next months to get into a more normal situation. This is one of our absolutely top priorities right now for the second half of the year.
Old 03-26-2019, 10:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,019 Likes on 692 Posts
2024 Mercedes GLE 63 S..... 2018 Audi SQ5
Originally Posted by Iliam5
Talked to a couple of dealers in NE and they all seem to indicate production delays. Ordering a car can take anywhere from 4-5 months. in US? Seems strange. There are a lot of stripper 450s sitting on the lots but to get a loaded car is a problem? why? e-sys seems especially problematic to order/ find
At this rate one will get the car in September. By then - there will be v8 available so it makes sense to pre-order and wait for 2020 GLE580 - but no one knows the specs.
From GLS forums it looks like 470 HP - meaning it already loosing to x5 50 with 523 HP before it is even released.
Any advise on ordering a loaded 450 with sooner delivery?
It’s just a guess but I would bet 90 days is more realistic. Mine built 4 days early maybe because some were delayed. By now Mercedes should be close to reaching full production efficiency so timing would depend on the backlog. Make a deal to order with the deposit refundable and in a few weeks you should get an estimated build date. Some dealers are too optimistic and others are pessimistic. I would think that a dealer could look at some of their current order dates and projected build dates to give a realistic estimate.
Old 03-26-2019, 11:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts
CLK320
Anyone know build status B4-01.2 means ? My dealer told me my build been stuck on this status for passed two weeks.
Old 03-26-2019, 11:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by tery
Anyone know build status B4-01.2 means ? My dealer told me my build been stuck on this status for passed two weeks.
Did you order E-ABC? That would be my guess since others are also delayed. If the Dealer can’t tell you I doubt any Forum members would know. Greg has contacted MB, maybe he will get an explanation!
Old 03-26-2019, 12:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK320
Yes I order with E-ABC
Old 03-26-2019, 01:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
s550
Trying to order e-abc as well.
Thank you for replies. Want to make sure it is not allocation issue. But the manufacturing issue.
Just doing the search for loaded 450s does not return many results. should be 88K with air and 93K with e-sys
Old 03-26-2019, 01:43 PM
DMG

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts
2001 G500
It sounds like the common denominator is E-ABC. One reason a lot of folks decided against E-ABC was the potential for maintenance related issues down the road from such a new complicated system. I wonder if anyone feels like this delay reinforces that decision/question? I think the other delay issue being thrown around is the interior assistant camera that monitors hand movements. I wonder if anyone is experiencing a delay with just the MBUX Tech Package (that contains the int assistant?) and not E-ABC? That answer might be provide insight as to whether later orders without E-ABC will be delayed.
Old 03-26-2019, 06:00 PM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
2018 GLS 450, 2018 GLE 4matic
mbux

I've been led to believe that the mbux is delayed, can't have interior assistant at this time, etc.....
Old 03-26-2019, 09:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by beth22
I've been led to believe that the mbux is delayed, can't have interior assistant at this time, etc.....
Mine was built last Friday and my build included the Interior Assistant. I may get a surprise but so far there was no notice of a change. I don’t know how soon the dealer gets details of my build but will try to find out tomorrow.
Since Mercedes is tight lipped, the Rumor mill will continue.
Old 03-26-2019, 09:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK320
Ron yours is with E-ABC ?
Old 03-26-2019, 10:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Angry

Ron yours is with E-ABC ?
No just the Regular Air Suspension and I am wondering if that's why mine got pushed ahead 4-5 days. If there is some temporary shortage or other delay with the E-ABC then if those were held up it might explain mine building early. I had mine fairly well optioned.
I did try to check for your build code and can only find the B4 code-Scheduled to build in 2 days. So the 01.2 may be a delay code internal to Mercedes. I've been looking foreward to seeing how the owners feel about E-ABC...I had it on and off my build 2 times. I'm hoping it is great but will then regret not getting it
The following users liked this post:
Kartergreg (03-29-2019)
Old 03-27-2019, 01:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
There a general factory delays across both GLE models this month - across all options packages - that is a different issue - and I have not personally seen E-ABC "emerge" from production yet which I think was scheduled "maybe" to startup late-April/early-May.

On "Assistant" - under different package # Head-Up + Virtual is available for $300 less without Assistant - yes I had time with Assistant at Vance - MB added last minute only because BMW had it - to me MBUX Voice Control and the speed/smoothness of the touchscreen are really slick - and Assistant "hand waving" not-so-much...

"GLE560" - is factory term at the moment - "might" be late 3rd quarter production last discussion I was party to - and discussion was like "maybe" 300-500 as a "orphan yr/model" since there is another 2nd ECO-Boost powertrain on top of the I6 that is tentative 2Q 2020 production that cannot be named/discussed.
Old 03-27-2019, 03:55 AM

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
E220d T
New engine

Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
There a general factory delays across both GLE models this month - across all options packages - that is a different issue - and I have not personally seen E-ABC "emerge" from production yet which I think was scheduled "maybe" to startup late-April/early-May.

On "Assistant" - under different package # Head-Up + Virtual is available for $300 less without Assistant - yes I had time with Assistant at Vance - MB added last minute only because BMW had it - to me MBUX Voice Control and the speed/smoothness of the touchscreen are really slick - and Assistant "hand waving" not-so-much...

"GLE560" - is factory term at the moment - "might" be late 3rd quarter production last discussion I was party to - and discussion was like "maybe" 300-500 as a "orphan yr/model" since there is another 2nd ECO-Boost powertrain on top of the I6 that is tentative 2Q 2020 production that cannot be named/discussed.
Do you mean the new 580, that will come in the new GLS 580...
V8 with cylinder shut down and EQ-boost!

Old 03-27-2019, 08:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 399 Likes on 280 Posts
23 EQS 580 SUV, 19 X7 (sold), 17/14 GLS550 (sold) 13 GL550 (sold)
Originally Posted by Ron.s
Mine was built last Friday and my build included the Interior Assistant. I may get a surprise but so far there was no notice of a change. I don’t know how soon the dealer gets details of my build but will try to find out tomorrow.
Great news Ron! Do you know if your dealer was invoiced yet? That usually happens a few days after it's built so it may have already been invoiced and shipped. The NetStar codes will tell the tale. Can't wait to see some pics.
Ron.s (03-27-2019)
Old 03-27-2019, 09:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK320
Fabbrisd1 so you mean MB is not making any GLE with E-ABC at the moment ? Should start production sometime later April.
Old 03-27-2019, 12:09 PM

Received 73 Likes on 50 Posts
Just got informed by my dealer (in Canada) that MBUX Interior Assistant that I ordered is not available.

Not sure if it is something worth waiting for, or is it a software feature that can be added later?
Old 03-27-2019, 09:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by JoeMa
Great news Ron! Do you know if your dealer was invoiced yet? That usually happens a few days after it's built so it may have already been invoiced and shipped. The NetStar codes will tell the tale. Can't wait to see some pics.
Thanks Joe, I will check that out.
Old 03-27-2019, 09:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Fabbrisd1 so you mean MB is not making any GLE with E-ABC at the moment ? Should start production sometime later April.
That can’t be right or they wouldn’t have scheduled a bunch of them for build 2 weeks ago. Greg should hear something official soon from his Mercedes inquiry. IMO, they either found something that needed a change or the supplier of some part is at fault for one reason or another. They owe those of you that didn’t get a build on time an explanation and maybe a little something for your trouble.
Old 04-01-2019, 07:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,168 Likes on 839 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
Glimmer of hope??

That can’t be right or they wouldn’t have scheduled a bunch of them for build 2 weeks ago. Greg should hear something official soon from his Mercedes inquiry. IMO, they either found something that needed a change or the supplier of some part is at fault for one reason or another. They owe those of you that didn’t get a build on time an explanation and maybe a little something for your trouble.
Supposedly my vehicle started production and was assigned a VIN on 2/21, almost 6 weeks ago and has been in status B4 the last few weeks! Production date was 3/13, 19 days ago. So, I contacted MBUSA Customer Assistance Center a week ago and have had a couple emails & calls since with no information. So after another call to CAC today I finally get hold of the "executive referral manager" (fancy title, huh), who only told me GLE production has been on hold pending parts and he is trying to get more information. He was clueless beyond that.

Over the weekend I also got on my sales guy and the dealer sales manager. and told them they need to get on MBUSA, as well. Today I hear from my sales guy, who had called Distribution this morning and was told my order would be given "top priority" and should go B5 by the end of the week. He asked if my MBUX Tech Package or my designo trim selection was an issue and was told no. Apparently the sales manager also sent an email to Distribution and the West Coast Sales team explaining that a long time Mercedes customer was very unhappy and, what was going on?

So, at this point I will believe it when I see it. I must say if Mercedes handles all orders like this when there are production issues they are going down in reputation fast (and I will help!). Why NetStar can't be updated with a realistic best guess production date when the original one is not met I don't know, but it hasn't been in my case. I'm trying to keep the faith.
Old 04-01-2019, 07:58 PM

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts
2020 GLE 450
We ordered ours on 3/9 and were told at that time to probably expect it in early June. Checked with our sales consultant today who advised "Estimated production 3rd week of May. But the build just got finalized 3/31 because its customer sold priority so may have it sooner."
Old 04-01-2019, 08:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

My build did include the full MBUX Tech package including Interior Assistant.
Nish20gr (05-01-2019)
Old 04-01-2019, 08:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by audi40
We ordered ours on 3/9 and were told at that time to probably expect it in early June. Checked with our sales consultant today who advised "Estimated production 3rd week of May. But the build just got finalized 3/31 because its customer sold priority so may have it sooner."
Good news, maybe the factory production is smoothing out.
Old 04-01-2019, 09:27 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
GLE
I ordered a car already built and the dealer said arriving soon. Now it has been almost two weeks and it is still in transportation.
Old 04-01-2019, 09:31 PM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Audi Q5
Did you order your car on 3/9 or your build date was 3/9....??

Originally Posted by audi40
Old 04-01-2019, 09:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,168 Likes on 839 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
Originally Posted by cnnn
I ordered a car already built and the dealer said arriving soon. Now it has been almost two weeks and it is still in transportation.
where are you located? Takes about 3 weeks to here in Oregon, after it ships.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Production delays/ timeline