G Class (W460, W461, W463) Produced 1980-2018: 290 GD, 290 GDT, 300 GD, 350 GD, 500 GE, G250, G300, G300 DT, G320, G500, G550, G55 AMG, G63 AMG

2019 G63 Driving Impressions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-18-2019, 02:21 PM

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts
2012 C63BS 2009 Ferrari 16M 2016 Cayenne turbo S 2019 G63
2019 G63 Driving Impressions

The weather finally got nice in New England and I took the G out. Its been garaged since February with only delivery miles.
My MY14 G63 was urban kool. OK power with a nice sound, but a terrible ride, no steering feel,, and an interior that was dated with seats that were far from being comfortable. I recall scaring the bejesus out of my self on my first drive when I took the first corner at speed. This was no Cayenne with PDDC. The MY19 is a very special SUV. Having broken in many many hi-po autos over the years, I dont follow that 1000 mile directive. I do allow the engine to reach operating temp, and avoid full throttle bursts for the first hundred miles or so, but I do allow the engine to almost reach max rpm through the early gears and continually vary rpms with up and down manual paddle shifts. The new G is very quick with turbo S type power and grunt and the sound is quite throaty though I'll look to install cat bypass pipes as soon as Akrapovic develops a set for the 4.0 bi turbo.
The ride is 1000 % improved over the old G. The dampers work great in each mode and on terrible pot holed roads the comfort setting is almost sedan like. The dynamic settings offer very distinctive performance characteristics. The steering actually offers feedback and feel, and the truck can really corner now with minimal roll as long as you dont think you are in a 911. The upgrade on the seats is worth the $$$ with great support and dynamic side bolsters if set. They are ortho comfortable and the overall seat position and leg room is much improved.
The fit and finish of the interior upgrade is well worth the $7200 with the exception of two plastic covered sun visors. The AMG flat bottom steering wheel makes you feel like you are piloting a super-car. The moon roof brightens up the interior and the 12 inch wind screen cluster is very kool with all its settings and colors., and the IWC clock is a nice touch. I have the speed delimeter, but have no clue as to whether the mapping is different other than a better top-end, which you have to be crazy to take this truck up to 149 mph anyhow.
Couple of gripes.. Wish ceramic brakes were an option as brake dust is going to be a pain the ***, and I have the 22 inch silver cross spoke. Also the console clamshells but makes no provision for a USB cord to tunnel under the halves so you have to fish it through the halves as they close.The manual suggests a charge while inside the console but thats crazy, and I just cant bring myself to bluetooth the phone. Silly. I could care less about MBUX or whatever as the infotainment system is advanced enough for me with Car Play etc.
At the end of the day this a great bang for your buck truck, when you think about the turbo S or Uris, and the GWagon just doesnt look like all the other SUV's on the planet.
Not hard to see why the MY 19 is in such high demand. My 16 Cayenne turbo s is now my rain car and winter sled.
For all you guys on waiting for delivery, patience will be well rewarded

Last edited by RAKLAW; 04-18-2019 at 02:27 PM.
The following 7 users liked this post by RAKLAW:
carforhire (04-18-2019), Crfiv (04-18-2019), Deutsch100 (04-19-2019), Festertester (04-18-2019), pdeacon (04-19-2019), places (04-18-2019), Sarlox (04-20-2019) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-18-2019, 08:30 PM

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
G63
Glad you are enjoying your new G. Thanks for the write up. Enjoy!
Old 04-18-2019, 11:28 PM

Received 292 Likes on 194 Posts
‘13 911-4S, ‘21 CTR, '22 GT4, ‘19 G63
Originally Posted by RAKLAW
The weather finally got nice in New England and I took the G out. Its been garaged since February with only delivery miles.
My MY14 G63 was urban kool. OK power with a nice sound, but a terrible ride, no steering feel,, and an interior that was dated with seats that were far from being comfortable. I recall scaring the bejesus out of my self on my first drive when I took the first corner at speed. This was no Cayenne with PDDC. The MY19 is a very special SUV. Having broken in many many hi-po autos over the years, I dont follow that 1000 mile directive. I do allow the engine to reach operating temp, and avoid full throttle bursts for the first hundred miles or so, but I do allow the engine to almost reach max rpm through the early gears and continually vary rpms with up and down manual paddle shifts. The new G is very quick with turbo S type power and grunt and the sound is quite throaty though I'll look to install cat bypass pipes as soon as Akrapovic develops a set for the 4.0 bi turbo.
The ride is 1000 % improved over the old G. The dampers work great in each mode and on terrible pot holed roads the comfort setting is almost sedan like. The dynamic settings offer very distinctive performance characteristics. The steering actually offers feedback and feel, and the truck can really corner now with minimal roll as long as you dont think you are in a 911. The upgrade on the seats is worth the $$$ with great support and dynamic side bolsters if set. They are ortho comfortable and the overall seat position and leg room is much improved.
The fit and finish of the interior upgrade is well worth the $7200 with the exception of two plastic covered sun visors. The AMG flat bottom steering wheel makes you feel like you are piloting a super-car. The moon roof brightens up the interior and the 12 inch wind screen cluster is very kool with all its settings and colors., and the IWC clock is a nice touch. I have the speed delimeter, but have no clue as to whether the mapping is different other than a better top-end, which you have to be crazy to take this truck up to 149 mph anyhow.
Couple of gripes.. Wish ceramic brakes were an option as brake dust is going to be a pain the ***, and I have the 22 inch silver cross spoke. Also the console clamshells but makes no provision for a USB cord to tunnel under the halves so you have to fish it through the halves as they close.The manual suggests a charge while inside the console but thats crazy, and I just cant bring myself to bluetooth the phone. Silly. I could care less about MBUX or whatever as the infotainment system is advanced enough for me with Car Play etc.
At the end of the day this a great bang for your buck truck, when you think about the turbo S or Uris, and the GWagon just doesnt look like all the other SUV's on the planet.
Not hard to see why the MY 19 is in such high demand. My 16 Cayenne turbo s is now my rain car and winter sled.
enjoyed the write-up.

i can totally relate re not connecting via Bluetooth - I’m a bit of audio file and Bluetooth definitely impacts the sound quality. I do like apple CarPlay though.

have you tried out the burmester sound system? It sounds fantastic on my 911 where it was a 2nd upgrade option but I’m not sure how the ‘standard’ burmester sound ? And Range Rover autobiography 29 speakers 1700W system is at another level..

btw, I think it sounds great with amg exhaust ..I’m not sure if I’d do aftermarket but would be interesting to check others out

Last edited by Festertester; 04-18-2019 at 11:31 PM.
Old 04-19-2019, 02:56 AM

Received 42 Likes on 14 Posts
Porsche 911 Turbo S Cabrio, BMW X6M, MB G63
Originally Posted by Festertester
enjoyed the write-up.
have you tried out the burmester sound system? It sounds fantastic on my 911 where it was a 2nd upgrade option but I’m not sure how the ‘standard’ burmester sound ? And Range Rover autobiography 29 speakers 1700W system is at another level..
The Burmeister in the G sounds fantastic, but, surprisingly, you’ll find the 911’s Burmeister still sounds better. I have a 991.2 TTS Cabrio, the bass seems a little fuller in the 911. Both fantastic systems, just expected our ‘19 G63 to be superior in this category.

Exhaust note on the G wins though, hands down! (And they both can pull wheelies!)
Old 04-19-2019, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by Festertester
enjoyed the write-up.

i can totally relate re not connecting via Bluetooth - I’m a bit of audio file and Bluetooth definitely impacts the sound quality. I do like apple CarPlay though.

btw, I think it sounds great with amg exhaust ..I’m not sure if I’d do aftermarket but would be interesting to check others out
Burmester system far exceeds the sound quality in the old G.
Crisp and clear with great bass pickup.
I have the Fabspeed bypass on my turbo S and the sound is not to be believed. The secondary cats do nothing but muffle the sound
Old 04-19-2019, 10:23 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
MB
Originally Posted by RAKLAW
Thanks for the write up. Glad to hear your positive impressions. I've been through some frustrating times trying to order and receive mine. Over a year now. Received custom G63 order allocation in February 2019. Order is in. Told a July build date with a late August delivery. We shall see but to be honest, the wait should make it all the more sweet.

Congrats on yours. Safe passage.
Old 04-19-2019, 10:45 AM

Ordered mine early March...built 3rd week November...delivery last week in February
Well worth the wait
Old 04-19-2019, 04:54 PM

Received 94 Likes on 63 Posts
2023 G550
Oops, wrong year

Last edited by JetRanger; 04-19-2019 at 05:46 PM.