M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

New to me 2001 Design ML320

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-18-2019, 08:12 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
2003 SL500
New to me 2001 Design ML320

She has only 98,000 miles with new tires and seems in ok shape but a few issues.
The rear driver side window just seized up, about 3 inches open.
The oil light is on, I think it is overfull from when I checked the dipstick.
The stereo won't work, I need to figure out the code. Any one able to help? the vin is 4JGAB54E21A240174
Remotes don't work (at least It has both keys) I will change the batteries and if necessary try to re-synch them.
The sunroof won't open.
A/C blows cool but not icy.
Hood struts won't hold the hood up.
It has sun damage and faded clear coat, Also some rust on the roof.
I'm hoping this works out!

Old 04-18-2019, 11:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 139 Likes on 135 Posts
02w163ML500 / 97w210E50AMG / 99w202C230k / 95w124500e-wip
Originally Posted by BeachFreak
She has only 98,000 miles with new tires and seems in ok shape but a few issues.
The rear driver side window just seized up, about 3 inches open.
The oil light is on, I think it is overfull from when I checked the dipstick.
The stereo won't work, I need to figure out the code. Any one able to help? the vin is 4JGAB54E21A240174
Remotes don't work (at least It has both keys) I will change the batteries and if necessary try to re-synch them.
The sunroof won't open.
A/C blows cool but not icy.
Hood struts won't hold the hood up.
It has sun damage and faded clear coat, Also some rust on the roof.
I'm hoping this works out!
Nice ride.

Rear DS window - remove the door panel and take a look - maybe the motor has seized OR any sound of the lift going up and down?
Oil - drain excess from the topside or if it isnt overfilled, then maybe you need to change the oil. The oil sensor also senses if the oil is dirty.
Radio code - call or goto your nearest stealership - they should be able to provide you with it free of charge so long as you can give them a serial # of the radio.
As for the fobs, they are no longer available - GL, hope you can resync them.
Sunroof - check fuses first, then the switch
A/C - refrigerant level?
Hood struts - easy fix - replace them
Old 04-19-2019, 12:06 AM

2003 SL500
thanks Khomer- I spent a few hours slowly draining about a pint out through the dipstick, it was black and probably just needs changing. I was planning to give it a shot of refrigerant, and I will follow your advice on other issues as well and keep the thread informed.
Old 04-20-2019, 12:51 AM

2003 SL500
I recharged the AC today and she is blowing ice cold! Hopefully it stays charged.

I also checked the sunroof fuse, it is fine.

I put new batteries in a remote and followed the synchronization directions in the owner manual, but no luck. The remotes don't work.

Unfortunately, after driving only 20 miles the check engine light came on. Code P0410. Secondary air pump, but I'm worried it could be an O2 sensor. I have a basic code reader, I can't do diagnostics without going to a shop or upgrading to a new code reader. NOT good news.
Old 04-20-2019, 02:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I recharged the AC today and she is blowing ice cold! Hopefully it stays charged.

I also checked the sunroof fuse, it is fine.

I put new batteries in a remote and followed the synchronization directions in the owner manual, but no luck. The remotes don't work.

Unfortunately, after driving only 20 miles the check engine light came on. Code P0410. Secondary air pump, but I'm worried it could be an O2 sensor. I have a basic code reader, I can't do diagnostics without going to a shop or upgrading to a new code reader. NOT good news.

My comments: P0410 error code....watch....

Test your ac system for leaks - quite easy to do - UV test kit

Sunroof:
Have you try the reset function?
Your sunroof is closed.... pull downward on the switch (i.e. as if you are trying to close it from the up-tilted position) ......hold it in that for 20 secs. The sunroof should tilt open fully and then you can release the switch.
Now close it and it should be reset. If this reset doesn't correct it, then it's either something caught in the track or the mechanism is broken, or you have no power going to it.

Remotes:
Long shot, but the circuit board in the fob may have a broken solder. Do a search on this forum as well as the other one on this topic of 'Key fob not working' and do some reading on possible repair solutions and re-syncing.

EDIT: here's a good DIY sunroof removal if you need to go this distance to check on things mechanically and connections.

Last edited by khomer2; 04-20-2019 at 02:26 AM.
Old 04-21-2019, 01:09 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2003 ML55,2007 ML63
Have you done the sync procedure correctly?
Old 04-21-2019, 01:42 AM

2003 SL500
Here is the procedure I followed, I will try the other remote tomorrow-any suggestions appreciated!
Old 04-21-2019, 12:52 PM

2003 SL500

I typed in the code and pushed the button under OK, the enter toggle, every button, but the screen doesn’t change, so the stereo still isn't working.

BUT thank you very much I followed your advice and the sunroof is working!!

I changed the oil and filter. But the oil light is still on. I'm wondering if the sensor went bad; I understand it is in the oil pan- is it possible to pull a fuse or relay to get the light to go away?

Pulled the rear DS panel and got the window up. I found the broken pieces of a white plastic wheel in there, from the regulator but I'm going to hold off on a full repair right now.

Somehow during all of this the check engine light went off and there are no codes showing.

So a productive morning before going to church, Happy Easter MBWorld!

Last edited by BeachFreak; 04-21-2019 at 10:49 PM.
Old 04-23-2019, 09:12 PM

2003 SL500
Cleaning up nicely, still need remotes to work, can’t unlock the stereo

The following users liked this post:
khomer2 (04-23-2019)
Old 04-23-2019, 09:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I typed in the code and pushed the button under OK, the enter toggle, every button, but the screen doesn’t change, so the stereo still isn't working.

BUT thank you very much I followed your advice and the sunroof is working!!

I changed the oil and filter. But the oil light is still on. I'm wondering if the sensor went bad; I understand it is in the oil pan- is it possible to pull a fuse or relay to get the light to go away?

Pulled the rear DS panel and got the window up. I found the broken pieces of a white plastic wheel in there, from the regulator but I'm going to hold off on a full repair right now.

Somehow during all of this the check engine light went off and there are no codes showing.

So a productive morning before going to church, Happy Easter MBWorld!
Are you sure you have the correct code#s?
Could be old codes or pending codes....Clear the CEL with your scanner again and see if it lights comes up again. If so, scan for the codes and post.

For the oil light on, you sure you have the correct level of oil in there?
Old 04-23-2019, 10:30 PM

2003 SL500
For the stereo code I called a dealer and got it based on the VIN. If I was entering a wrong code I still wouldn’t know, since the stereo neither accepts the code nor says “wait”

ive located an identical head unit on island I am going to test out this weekend. I have stereo removal tools coming from Amazon on Friday.

as for CEL, I had disconnected the battery to pull the door panel so I think that cleared the codes. It was showing P0150 and the other code, but my OBDII reader says no codes now. I’ve only driven it to the beach and back so less than a mile, I guess the codes could come back.

i am confident about the oil level as it’s near the high mark without going over on the dipstick, and I added approximately 8.5 quarts after I changed the filter.

Thanks for for all your suggestions Khmer, you sure know a lot!
Old 04-23-2019, 10:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

For the stereo code I called a dealer and got it based on the VIN. If I was entering a wrong code I still wouldn’t know, since the stereo neither accepts the code nor says “wait”

ive located an identical head unit on island I am going to test out this weekend. I have stereo removal tools coming from Amazon on Friday.

as for CEL, I had disconnected the battery to pull the door panel so I think that cleared the codes. It was showing P0150 and the other code, but my OBDII reader says no codes now. I’ve only driven it to the beach and back so less than a mile, I guess the codes could come back.

i am confident about the oil level as it’s near the high mark without going over on the dipstick, and I added approximately 8.5 quarts after I changed the filter.

Thanks for for all your suggestions Khmer, you sure know a lot!
Radio may have been swapped out for another. You need to pull out the radio with keys (do a search on this or make your own with credit cards), and then look at the serial number on it OR if your really lucky, previous owner wrote the code on the radio shell.

Then it could be the oil sensor - darnit - it's in the pan.

Nope, just read and read the forum posts from the vets and apply as needed (Maj. Dundee / Raymond -g / Strigoi / Plutoe / vets on w202 / etc...), and trial and error sometimes.