GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

2020 GLE Order advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-20-2019, 07:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLE
Question 2020 GLE Order advice

First time GLE buyer.. just placed an order for the 350. We omitted a few things that are being discussed on this forum, and wanted thoughts based on user experiences: The options are listed below, along with what our reasoning was..

- Premium Package: Nothing on the package seemed interesting except wireless charging
- Upgraded Audio system: This is the first step up from the standard audio system. Was on the fence with this. Is the standard system decent?
- Panoramic Roof: No particular reason for eliminating. Pros/Cons?
- Running Boards: These seemed more cosmetic than practical.
- AirMatic: Reviews indicate that the standard suspension is already really good.

Thanks
Old 04-20-2019, 07:46 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
GLE 450 And some not MB cars
Personally, I felt the running boards kind useless, most the time just make my pants dirty, lol. But the running boards also make the car looks better. just my opinion.
Old 04-20-2019, 07:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 442 Likes on 306 Posts
19 E63s(wifeys) & a 21 GLE580
Yes the running boards do make the vehicle look better but they are pretty worthless unless you have smaller children, or a mother-in-law with a bad back. I'd order them again for my kid!
I don't know anything about the audio system (it sounds like you are saying there are three levels now?) but I have the basic one in my W166 GLE and it is pretty dang good. Sounds like a live concert compared to my wifes new BMW.
As for the PANO roof, they look awesome and I have it ordered on our new E coming, but they do make the car a lot hotter, especially black cars.
I have also read a lot of reviews on the airmatic and how great it is, but isnt the price insane? That would be a toss up for me when the time comes to upgrade.
Good luck!
Old 04-20-2019, 08:17 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
GLE 450 And some not MB cars
If you have family member, the running boards definitely worth it.
For the sound, i have Premium Package, come with upgraded speakers. i feel the bass way too strong, otherwise, pretty good system.
PANO roof, i like it, if you think too hot for summer, just use Mercedes phone app start the car before you get in, the car will make the temperature will perfectly for you.
I don't have Airmatic on my GLE(dealer build car), but have it on other cars, they worth every penny. if you not sure, the standard suspension works good too. as long as you not use GLE for heavy off road.
Old 04-20-2019, 04:11 PM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
2018 GLS 450, 2018 GLE 4matic
running boards

Well, for those of us who are 5 feet, or thereabouts, the running boards are very helpful. I was thinking of leaving them off the new order, for looks, but went out to the car and got in without using it and it was uncomfortable.
It could be just because I'm used to them on the last 5 cars, but they definitely help a short person getting in.
Old 04-20-2019, 06:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,019 Likes on 692 Posts
2024 Mercedes GLE 63 S..... 2018 Audi SQ5
Originally Posted by beth22
Well, for those of us who are 5 feet, or thereabouts, the running boards are very helpful. I was thinking of leaving them off the new order, for looks, but went out to the car and got in without using it and it was uncomfortable.
It could be just because I'm used to them on the last 5 cars, but they definitely help a short person getting in.
I set our GLE to lower when parked, but you need the Air suspension to do that. It drops about 3” and raises back up when you start the vehicle. My wife hasn’t said any more about running boards but she’s only been in and out a few times. I’m with Shrimpking....they look nice but are dirt collectors and dirty pant legs have been an issue in the past. Maybe mudflaps would help!
Old 04-20-2019, 06:37 PM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
2018 GLS 450, 2018 GLE 4matic
Well, that's why I wear jeans almost every day; you can't see much dirt on them, and if you do, it's ok.
Old 04-21-2019, 12:30 AM

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts
2020 GLE
Originally Posted by Ron.s
I set our GLE to lower when parked, but you need the Air suspension to do that. It drops about 3” and raises back up when you start the vehicle. My wife hasn’t said any more about running boards but she’s only been in and out a few times. I’m with Shrimpking....they look nice but are dirt collectors and dirty pant legs have been an issue in the past. Maybe mudflaps would help!
If you are tall or don’t use the running boards, then they are a nuisance. If you need them, then they’re awesome. It’s all personal preference.
Old 04-21-2019, 07:11 AM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Audi Q5
Originally Posted by tinman831
If you are tall or don’t use the running boards, then they are a nuisance. If you need them, then they’re awesome. It’s all personal preference.
Actually I test drove a GLE with a third row last week which also had running boards. I am 6 ft tall and my wife is around 5ft 9”. We both were able to fit into the third row. Obviously it’s not super comfy but we can manage for an hour.
I thought the running boards were of no use initially but my SA explained how both of us used it when we were getting out of the third row without us noticing it. So the running boards are very helpful if you have the third row for sure and if you have elderly moms and mom in laws getting into the car.
Old 04-21-2019, 02:11 PM

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
GLE 450 / E450 Cabriolet
Ditto on the running boards. If you are in a snow climate they will consistantlky mess up your pants. Very narrow. I actually had them removed from my 2016 GLE.
Old 04-21-2019, 10:47 PM

GLE
Thank you all for the feedback.

Could someone please elaborate on the sound system? Not clear if the basic factory installed option is worth upgrading.

Thanks!
Old 04-23-2019, 09:36 AM

glc coupe 350
The sound system has 2 possible upgrades,

Basic Burmester which is like +1k or the 3d advanced system which is +6k ....

Basic burmester offers more speakers + tweeters on the doors + some basses on the front. System is pretty decent to listen to music.

Advanced 3d System is a high end system with like 30+ speakers, better tweeters, speakers on the roof and even a subwoofer in the back. I have yet to read a review from someone who owns it but damn its expensive. Also it seems that it requires you to have the pano roof in order to purchase it.

The basic system i have no idea how it performs but it is just speakers so it cant be that good.
Old 04-23-2019, 06:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,168 Likes on 839 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
Option questions

Originally Posted by NetBrowser07
First time GLE buyer.. just placed an order for the 350. We omitted a few things that are being discussed on this forum, and wanted thoughts based on user experiences: The options are listed below, along with what our reasoning was..

- Premium Package: Nothing on the package seemed interesting except wireless charging
Includes the Burmester system; ambient lighting some think is cool
- Upgraded Audio system: This is the first step up from the standard audio system. Was on the fence with this. Is the standard system decent?
Never heard a base system that I would consider decent, but I have not heard this one.
- Panoramic Roof: No particular reason for eliminating. Pros/Cons?
Loved mine on my W166. Will let in more heat/cold.
- AirMatic: Reviews indicate that the standard suspension is already really good.
Airmatic is good for ride quality and the ability to raise/lower the vehicle.