Sponsored by:

rear heater vents blowing hot

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-19-2019, 08:45 AM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
04 55
rear heater vents blowing hot

hello,,, i recently discovered my rear heater vents are blowing intermittent hot/cold ,, i started looking into replacing the heater control valve but found this statement below but no other references -- anyone have some input on this - ?

The valve for the rear is in the front passenger wheel well by the front passenger door.
The valve under the front cowl is for the front climate control

thanks again !
Old 05-20-2019, 11:32 AM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 E55 - 2010 GL450 - 2011 GL550
Go ahead and replace the heater shut-off valve. I have replaced many over the years for the same problem.
Old 05-20-2019, 05:33 PM

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts
04 e55
never heard of the valve below the wheel well
Old 05-20-2019, 06:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 166 Likes on 137 Posts
2019 Jeep Trackhawk, 2002 CLK55, 2014 911 Carrera
The valve in question is located on the front cowl. Here is a good detailed tutorial for changing it: https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...rol-valve.html
Old 05-21-2019, 07:48 AM

04 55
i will change it out and see what happens -- thanks all for the link/info
Old 05-22-2019, 09:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
2008 Mercedes Benz E63
If that doesn't work, you can replace a chip in the front SAM. There is a thread on it, several people have done it. Shoot me a p/m if the valve alone doesn't fix it.
The following users liked this post:
new55 (05-23-2019)
Old 05-25-2019, 01:22 PM

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
Mercedes CLS 55 AMG
Originally Posted by new55
hello,,, i recently discovered my rear heater vents are blowing intermittent hot/cold ,, i started looking into replacing the heater control valve but found this statement below but no other references -- anyone have some input on this - ?

The valve for the rear is in the front passenger wheel well by the front passenger door.
The valve under the front cowl is for the front climate control

thanks again !
Send me your VIN and I'll send you a PDF of the WIS instructions. There's a couple write ups on this, but you'll at least have specific for you.
The following users liked this post:
new55 (05-26-2019)
Old 05-26-2019, 07:52 AM

04 55
Originally Posted by equitiesguy
Send me your VIN and I'll send you a PDF of the WIS instructions. There's a couple write ups on this, but you'll at least have specific for you.
appreciate that -- thank you .. pm sent with vin
Old 07-18-2019, 07:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S430
I was looking at all of the posts and it seems that the parts for the regular heater control valve under the front cowl is different from the control valve in the wheel well that was also held up. Does anyone have the part number for the wheel well valve and the WIS instructions. All of the posts seem to show the cowl valve as part number 2308300084. The one for the wheel well seems to be 2208300084, but when I checked with the dealer, they said that part wasn't for my car. All I know is that it is blowing crazy hot in my back seat and cold in the front. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
Old 10-27-2019, 06:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 E63
Replaced the Changeover Valve today

I had this done at the dealer 6 years ago and it was $500. The old S211 E500 4matic started blowing hot in the back again and this time I knew exactly what the problem is Using the shop manual DVD and these posts, I was able to get 'er done pretty easily. Some thoughts to help you out.
1) Read the original post AND the few that have bullet points that follow. There is A LOT of good insight for you.
2) When I searched for the part online, I found that dealer who sell online INCORRECTLY state that the part does not fit my car. I knew the part number from the 6 year old work order when I had this done. Yet, that number comes up as incorrect. I went into a local dealer and my VIN calls for the correct part.
3) The correct part number is 211-832-05-84 UNLESS you have a Code 228 Aux Heater (which I think was never offered in USA which is unfortunate because it sounds like a cool option to have. If you have the Aux heater THEN the part if ...-06-...
IN OTHER WORDS...THE ONLINE PARTS DEALER SITE IS INCORRECT - SEE SCREENSHOT ATTACHED.
4) I had to wiggle the wipers to get them to free up.
5) REMOVE THE ENTIRE WIPER ASSEMBLY. It is two 13mm nuts and 1 13mm bolt. Just do it. REMOVE THE AIR CLEANER ASSEMBLY. Obvious, but worth noting.
6) Stuff some paper towel under the part to absorb the coolant that spills out. I also put a Pet wee wee pad under the car to absorb the coolant.
7) I clamped the coolant hose on the engine side of the part. I don't know if that was required. I didn't clamp the one in the space between the firewalls...I just pulled it off and tapped it up so it didn't spill.
8) The clips release with a screwdriver. For the lower one I used a hook tool and it pulled all the way off.
9) I put the grommet on the part before installing it and then used the tabs on the grommet to pull it into place.
10) After I had the valve in place and hoses re-attached, I backed the car into the driveway and used a hose to wash down the spilled coolant being VERY CAREFUL not to get water in the air intake or on anything sensitive.
11) Mark the position of your wipers. I did and it saved me time when re-installing those.
12) Torque on the wiper bolts per the MBZ Manual: Wiper System to Body: 19Nm. Wipers to bracket: 13Nm. (I didn't convert to Foot # as my torque wrenches all have Nm settings. Google the conversion Foot # if you need it.)
For me the total time from start to finish: 2 Hours: Including washing down the spilled coolant, cleaning each of the plastic parts, cleaning the lower edge of the windshield, putting everything away and replacing the air filters (heck, it was off, so why not get that done too)