Dead Battery?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-22-2019, 01:20 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2019 GLC 300 4-Matic
Dead Battery?

Hi Everyone;

My 2019 GLC 300 will be in my garage without anyone starting the car for the next 2.5 months. Should I be concerned about dead battery? Any suggestions/tips are appreciated
Old 05-22-2019, 01:40 PM

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
2018 GLC300 4matic SUV
Parking a car for that long term requires preparation. At minimum I would place the car on jackstands with the tires elevated or off the ground, and then either disconnect the battery or use an automatic trickle charger. You may also want to consider a fuel stabilizer. If jacking it up isn't feasible, inflating the tires to the maximum pressure may minimize or prevent flat spot damage.

It's far better to have a friend, family member, or neighbor drive the car every week or so while you're away, if possible.
The following users liked this post:
VancityGLC (05-22-2019)
Old 05-22-2019, 01:49 PM

2019 GLC 300 4-Matic
Originally Posted by mtberman
Parking a car for that long term requires preparation. At minimum I would place the car on jackstands with the tires elevated or off the ground, and then either disconnect the battery or use an automatic trickle charger. You may also want to consider a fuel stabilizer. If jacking it up isn't feasible, inflating the tires to the maximum pressure may minimize or prevent flat spot damage.

It's far better to have a friend, family member, or neighbor drive the car every week or so while you're away, if possible.
Putting the on a jack is a no go for me, but I can increase the tire pressures for sure before leaving. As for the battery, if I just disconnect the battery, would that be good enough? I like the idea of the automatic trickle charger but the problem is that we are living in a condo and not sure if strata would allow that + not sure where is the nearest electric outlet in the parking.
Old 05-22-2019, 02:09 PM

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
2018 GLC300 4matic SUV
Disconnecting the battery altogether would be a good idea if you have no other choice. It may still be dead when you return, but there's a better chance that it will hold adequate charge if you disconnect it.
VancityGLC (05-22-2019)
Old 05-23-2019, 01:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
You might be overthinking it just a bit - it's not that uncommon for a new GLC (which takes 30-45 days to come in from Germany to begin with) to be in dealer inventory 3-4 months - and they will start right up.

Pull the Keyless Go button (it pulls straight out) - which turn's off the "listening for the key drain" - and you will be fine.

Preferably a full tank of fuel before you leave....

Really you would have to be in a Siberian winter to worry...

If for any reason it doesn't start when you get back - call MB Roadside 24/7 for a quick jump - but if you pull the Keyless Go button that won't happen.
VancityGLC (05-23-2019)
Old 05-23-2019, 10:50 AM

2019 GLC 300 4-Matic
Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
You might be overthinking it just a bit - it's not that uncommon for a new GLC (which takes 30-45 days to come in from Germany to begin with) to be in dealer inventory 3-4 months - and they will start right up.

Pull the Keyless Go button (it pulls straight out) - which turn's off the "listening for the key drain" - and you will be fine.

Preferably a full tank of fuel before you leave....

Really you would have to be in a Siberian winter to worry...

If for any reason it doesn't start when you get back - call MB Roadside 24/7 for a quick jump - but if you pull the Keyless Go button that won't happen.
Hah, never thought about this. Thanks for the advise and no I don't live in Siberia :p
Old 05-23-2019, 12:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
09 C63
FWIW- My car was in the garage over the last Chicago winter while I was out of the country. It was not started for just over two months and sat in the crazy sub-zero cold weather. Started right up. No prep as this was a last minute departure. The tires inflation is a great idea though. Now that it's warmer, it's more likely to deform. Also, when I got back, I drove it for a couple of weeks in sport mode to get higher revs on all gears. Perhaps it helped recharge faster perhaps not - but I would think the alternator puts out more efficiently at higher revs.
VancityGLC (05-23-2019)
Old 05-23-2019, 01:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
I would not concern yourself about adding air before you leave - the "Extended Mobility" tires on this gen C-Class (commonly called Run-Flat) have a very stiff sidewall - and 2-3 month parking will lightly flat-spot the tread portion - but in about 10-15 minutes of driving that will even out on all the tires.

For some/very-few owners owners - where they might not have known they had a slow leak on one tire before they leave - when they get back after 2-3 months that slow leak will have dropped pressure on that one tire a couple of lbs which will trigger a low tire pressure warning light - in that 10-15 min drive the tire pressure's can be accessed thru the cluster. Again, this is a rare thing but does happen.
VancityGLC (05-23-2019)