Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2019 C63CS: ~2000 miles impressions

Old 05-25-2019, 05:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,434 Posts
2019 C63CS
2019 C63CS: ~2000 miles impressions

It's been three weeks since I picked it up at the Center of Excellence in Sindelfingen, Germany. Car was broken in after about 1.5 weeks , and I got back to Germany yesterday where for the first time I could take it up to triple digit speeds on the Autobahn. Goes like hell, that's all I can say . Traffic didn't allow for hitting top speed yet, but I got it up to about 160 mph. Pulls like a freight train. I have done two 6 hour road trips so far, and plenty of other shorter trips in between. Next week I'm planning to head up to the Nurburgring for a few days.

This car is a great long distance cruiser and daily driver in conjunction with the Driver Assistance package.. A proper GT. On the highway it practically drives itself and adapts to the speed signs so I don't have to worry about getting speeding tickets with all the radar speed traps around here. Found myself in stop&go traffic a few times and letting the car follow the road and traffic makes being stuck in traffic a breeze. We've read from others that the transmission can be a bit jerky at times, which I can confirm. The drivetrain is very direct with the lower gearing and the start up clutch in place of a torque converter. Its manners remind me a lot of my past manual transmission cars, but with the Driver Assistance package, it drives very smooth in stop&go traffic and driving the car smoothly in general is simply a matter of smooth and properly modulated throttle inputs. I would say, though, AMG should consider a software update to tame it some more in C. We can always put it in S or S+ if we want the full experience. The performance seats are as expected. They nicely hold me in place and are comfortable even on long trips. They are sport seats, though, so comfort is relative. They are firm, but if you are used to sport seats, it's nothing unexpected. I would not trade them for the standard seats.

Now that I have spent time in S and S+, I can confirm that pops & bangs are rare. The car sounds awesome and occasionally pops & bangs if you give it the lead foot and then let off the throttle, but nothing like the press cars. Still don't really feel like pursuing this as an issue. I'm getting lots of complements and people take a step back every time I start it in their presence and give it some revs. . This car is louder and sounds better at all engine speeds compared to my RS5. I thought I was gonna miss the screaming of the RS5's V8 at 8000+ rpm, but I'm not. Lot's of thumbs up in general from bystanders and people walking up to it in parking lots. It has a phenomenal presence with the Areo package and the black/yellow interior looks awesome against the Obsidian black exterior. Really happy with my choice.

Suspension and comfort are good overall. Obviously it's not supposed to be a plush S Class. You can feel the road you drive on and I have driven on some rather bumpy roads already that remind me of home, but it does an excellent job with damping. While the springs are firm, it doesn't really feel uncomfortable in any mode, because of the active damping. The suspension adapts nicely to the road condition, speed and driving style. I've now raised the tire pressure in anticipation of driving the top speed, and even then I don't really have any complaints about the ride. My 73 year old dad had no issues getting in the back of the car, and no complaints about comfort. My 71 year old mother commented that the car is very sporty and not as comfortable as their VW Golf and she wouldn't wanna own it (no surprise), but she always asked if we can take my car when we went somewhere together .

On the less positive side, there are a few issues I'm having with the car at the moment. I'm getting intermittent low oil warnings. I checked the oil several times and there is enough oil. I'm guessing the oil pressure sensor is faulty and the windshield washer is not working. No fluid is coming out. Looks like somebody forgot to test it. I'm stopping by a local dealership on Monday to have it looked at. Technically, it's also time to change the rear differential fluid, but as @roken reported, that's supposedly no longer needed. I'll find out on Monday what the German dealership says about it. Unfortunately, I managed to ding my right front wheel already and the rear bumper came in contact with a concrete wall while parking . Minor blemishes and it'll get repaired at the VPC, but annoying. The car is a bit too wide and muscular for the tight parking spaces and garages around here. Feels a bit like an elephant in the porcelain store at times.

Pic of the car after the first wash. It's been raining here almost the entire time.

Proper fuel is important

Last edited by superswiss; 05-25-2019 at 05:06 AM.
The following 7 users liked this post by superswiss:
BrianShaw23 (05-25-2019), juggernaut1 (05-25-2019), JustinS (08-03-2020), NYCSoiL (05-25-2019), purplewidow (05-25-2019), Radon (05-25-2019), Tom⠀ (05-26-2019) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-25-2019, 09:50 AM

Received 89 Likes on 63 Posts
2019 c63s coupe, 2008 s63 sedan, 2007 335i coupe
Nice review!!

i don’t really have an issue with it being jerky.. I think it’s all in the adaptation to the car with the throttle input. I’m a pro because Chicago traffic is unreal lol. In regards to the oil warning... at what mileage did that start popping up? My s63 and the others in my family have always had it pop up around 2k miles after an oil change. I still get one done right after break in and I do one every 3k-3500 miles... I don’t care what the manufacturer says. I’m not waiting.

weather has been soo bad here I’m only half way through break in.. but I should be done with that in a week. Does your car seem louder now after break in? My car at 500 miles seems a lot louder than it was at delivery.. I get more crackles now but the pops and bangs are rare. Please don’t forget to voice a complaint on that with mbusa so we keep pushing for a software update!!

Thanks again for the review!! Always love your insight into our beasts!!!
Old 05-25-2019, 10:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by purplewidow
Nice review!!

i don’t really have an issue with it being jerky.. I think it’s all in the adaptation to the car with the throttle input. I’m a pro because Chicago traffic is unreal lol. In regards to the oil warning... at what mileage did that start popping up? My s63 and the others in my family have always had it pop up around 2k miles after an oil change. I still get one done right after break in and I do one every 3k-3500 miles... I don’t care what the manufacturer says. I’m not waiting.

weather has been soo bad here I’m only half way through break in.. but I should be done with that in a week. Does your car seem louder now after break in? My car at 500 miles seems a lot louder than it was at delivery.. I get more crackles now but the pops and bangs are rare. Please don’t forget to voice a complaint on that with mbusa so we keep pushing for a software update!!

Thanks again for the review!! Always love your insight into our beasts!!!
The oil warning started on the second day I had the car with less than a 100 miles. It's definitely a faulty sensor or something. It pops up every other day or so and the warning goes away if I restart the engine. I'm not all that surprised. I learned during the AMG factory tour that they do only a cold test of the engine, meaning they hook it up to an external electric motor that spins the engine up to about 3000 rpm w/o actually starting it. It's simulating the running engine w/o actually running. They never do a warm test and run the engine. First time the engine gets started is after the whole car has been assembled.

Can't say the car is louder now, but I didn't really get it in the rpm range during the first 500 miles where is starts to sing properly.
Old 05-25-2019, 01:16 PM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
2019 AMG G63, 2020 AMG C63s Coupe
Originally Posted by superswiss
It's been three weeks since I picked it up at the Center of Excellence in Sindelfingen, Germany. Car was broken in after about 1.5 weeks , and I got back to Germany yesterday where for the first time I could take it up to triple digit speeds on the Autobahn. Goes like hell, that's all I can say . Traffic didn't allow for hitting top speed yet, but I got it up to about 160 mph. Pulls like a freight train. I have done two 6 hour road trips so far, and plenty of other shorter trips in between. Next week I'm planning to head up to the Nurburgring for a few days.

This car is a great long distance cruiser and daily driver in conjunction with the Driver Assistance package.. A proper GT. On the highway it practically drives itself and adapts to the speed signs so I don't have to worry about getting speeding tickets with all the radar speed traps around here. Found myself in stop&go traffic a few times and letting the car follow the road and traffic makes being stuck in traffic a breeze. We've read from others that the transmission can be a bit jerky at times, which I can confirm. The drivetrain is very direct with the lower gearing and the start up clutch in place of a torque converter. Its manners remind me a lot of my past manual transmission cars, but with the Driver Assistance package, it drives very smooth in stop&go traffic and driving the car smoothly in general is simply a matter of smooth and properly modulated throttle inputs. I would say, though, AMG should consider a software update to tame it some more in C. We can always put it in S or S+ if we want the full experience. The performance seats are as expected. They nicely hold me in place and are comfortable even on long trips. They are sport seats, though, so comfort is relative. They are firm, but if you are used to sport seats, it's nothing unexpected. I would not trade them for the standard seats.

Now that I have spent time in S and S+, I can confirm that pops & bangs are rare. The car sounds awesome and occasionally pops & bangs if you give it the lead foot and then let off the throttle, but nothing like the press cars. Still don't really feel like pursuing this as an issue. I'm getting lots of complements and people take a step back every time I start it in their presence and give it some revs. . This car is louder and sounds better at all engine speeds compared to my RS5. I thought I was gonna miss the screaming of the RS5's V8 at 8000+ rpm, but I'm not. Lot's of thumbs up in general from bystanders and people walking up to it in parking lots. It has a phenomenal presence with the Areo package and the black/yellow interior looks awesome against the Obsidian black exterior. Really happy with my choice.

Suspension and comfort are good overall. Obviously it's not supposed to be a plush S Class. You can feel the road you drive on and I have driven on some rather bumpy roads already that remind me of home, but it does an excellent job with damping. While the springs are firm, it doesn't really feel uncomfortable in any mode, because of the active damping. The suspension adapts nicely to the road condition, speed and driving style. I've now raised the tire pressure in anticipation of driving the top speed, and even then I don't really have any complaints about the ride. My 73 year old dad had no issues getting in the back of the car, and no complaints about comfort. My 71 year old mother commented that the car is very sporty and not as comfortable as their VW Golf and she wouldn't wanna own it (no surprise), but she always asked if we can take my car when we went somewhere together .

On the less positive side, there are a few issues I'm having with the car at the moment. I'm getting intermittent low oil warnings. I checked the oil several times and there is enough oil. I'm guessing the oil pressure sensor is faulty and the windshield washer is not working. No fluid is coming out. Looks like somebody forgot to test it. I'm stopping by a local dealership on Monday to have it looked at. Technically, it's also time to change the rear differential fluid, but as @roken reported, that's supposedly no longer needed. I'll find out on Monday what the German dealership says about it. Unfortunately, I managed to ding my right front wheel already and the rear bumper came in contact with a concrete wall while parking . Minor blemishes and it'll get repaired at the VPC, but annoying. The car is a bit too wide and muscular for the tight parking spaces and garages around here. Feels a bit like an elephant in the porcelain store at times.

Pic of the car after the first wash. It's been raining here almost the entire time.

Proper fuel is important

Beautiful color combinations man, the car looks sporty, badass and luxurious all at the same time lol. How does the engine sound in the cabin? Does it sound as good as the press release videos? I know they apparently made the exhaust sound more tamed but what about that V8 engine sound in the cabin?
Old 05-25-2019, 01:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by BrianShaw23
Beautiful color combinations man, the car looks sporty, badass and luxurious all at the same time lol. How does the engine sound in the cabin? Does it sound as good as the press release videos? I know they apparently made the exhaust sound more tamed but what about that V8 engine sound in the cabin?
It sounds badass, IMO. Even in comfort mode with the exhaust set to powerful it's an orgy inside the cabin once you step on it a bit :-). The only thing that seems to have been tamed are the pops & bangs to protect the exhaust from what I heard and to comply with EU noise regulations. Perhaps we'll get a software update in North America to restore them, but honestly I don't really care that much for artificial bangs & pops. I much more enjoy a throaty natural sounding exhaust, which the 2019 delivers.
The following users liked this post:
BrianShaw23 (05-25-2019)
Old 05-25-2019, 05:13 PM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
2019 AMG C63s Coupe
Originally Posted by superswiss
It sounds badass, IMO. Even in comfort mode with the exhaust set to powerful it's an orgy inside the cabin once you step on it a bit :-). The only thing that seems to have been tamed are the pops & bangs to protect the exhaust from what I heard and to comply with EU noise regulations. Perhaps we'll get a software update in North America to restore them, but honestly I don't really care that much for artificial bangs & pops. I much more enjoy a throaty natural sounding exhaust, which the 2019 delivers.
I also have the 2019 AMG C63s in Black and I love it. I have a little over 2,000 miles on it. I have modified mine in a few ways and it is now exactly how I like it. I have the Eurocharged ECU tune and catless downpipes. Also added a rear carbon fiber spoiler and a carbon fiber front lip. Also added Vorsteiner wheels with slightly larger tires. With the tune the car is super fast! I intend to have it dyno'd soon as Eurocharged stated that I should probably have about 640 hp which is a nice increase from stock.

Old 05-25-2019, 05:16 PM

2019 AMG C63s Coupe
Also forgot to mention that I "blacked out" the chrome emblems except for the front two emblems. By blacking out I mean I replaced the chrome for gloss black. Regarding the chrome door handles I had them wrapped. Chrome simply does not look good on an otherwise all black vehicle, in my opinion. Also have added H&R lowering springs which are not reflected in the attached photo.
Old 05-25-2019, 09:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2019 C63S
Originally Posted by TexasEd
Also forgot to mention that I "blacked out" the chrome emblems except for the front two emblems. By blacking out I mean I replaced the chrome for gloss black. Regarding the chrome door handles I had them wrapped. Chrome simply does not look good on an otherwise all black vehicle, in my opinion. Also have added H&R lowering springs which are not reflected in the attached photo.

Have the same spec in stock, picked it up yesterday. Where did you get the gloss black emblems? Car is currently in for PPF and ceramic and I’m trying to find the emblems online so i can swap from chrome to black.
Old 05-25-2019, 09:32 PM

2019 AMG C63s Coupe
Originally Posted by Dilinquint
Have the same spec in stock, picked it up yesterday. Where did you get the gloss black emblems? Car is currently in for PPF and ceramic and I’m trying to find the emblems online so i can swap from chrome to black.
You can find them on ebay. The chrome emblems are not difficult to remove.