Couple of misc questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-01-2019, 01:42 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
A220
Couple of misc questions

Hey all,

So I got a new A220 on Monday and so far my experience has mostly been positive overall, but there are some drawbacks on my purchase, mostly related to build quality. Can anyone comment if they've had any similar issues or recommendations?

1. My sunshade started to get caught and came off track and now is scrunched up/loose, got to schedule an appointment for that.
2. My driver side and driver side rear windows make a very loud screech when rolling down and kind of smaller screech when rolling back up
3. When at a stop light and getting ready to move on green, the vehicle seems to like jar forward between 2nd/3rd gear, read something about the double clutch, but not sure if that's a thing. Doesn't seem intended. But I'm not sure since this is my first MB.
4. Mercedes seems to be more difficult to get activated than starting out. I really got to say her name much louder in order for her to recognize the voice.
5. Volume control with bluetooth seems finicky. This may be lack of knowledge on this part but using the scroll wheel up/down for volume control, also controls the volume on my device. This means if I get a call from someone when I have my volume on roughly 20-30% of max, then I can barely hear the person who has called me. Alternatively, even when I 'max" the volume out during a call, I can still barely hear them.
6. Worried about the Beige MB-Tex seats that I have. On the first day, the applications guy accidentally put a mark on the seat that I didn't notice until on my drive home. For the life of me, I cannot get that pen mark out 100%. I've tried about every combination to no avail.

That's mostly all the negatives or issues I've discovered. No, I'm not being nit-picky. The windows/sunshade is clearly a defect, the rest may be related to some setting resets/defaults after tinkering around with MBUX so much.

With all that said, when I take this to the dealer I was going to ask if it's possible to add any additional features to the vehicle. Does anyone know if I can still get like the surround camera, or drivers assistance features added to the vehicle after market? I noticed that all the cameras are present on the vehicle which means the surround-view camera is more or less a software thing rather than hardware. It seems most of the hardware is already installed on the vehicle for the other options as well, it's just a matter of activating it all. Probably can't pull that off but would be awesome if I could!

Overall, I do love this vehicle, just starting to get a few concerns with it since I've already having 2-3 quality control issues within the first week of driving :-(.
Old 06-01-2019, 01:55 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
A220
I've had my A220 for two weeks now. I dropped it off for service today because the passenger airbag warning light came on and the driver's side windshield wiper occasionally bumps the frame.

I've noticed #3 in your list. I'm the one that mentioned double-clutch (it's what the Mercedes person told me). I've gotten used to it (mostly) so I accept it as a normal thing. Coincidentally, I'm driving a CLA 2019 loaner and on the drive home, I hit the accelerator while leaving a stop sign and it took what felt like a solid second before the car actually moved forward. It was mildly alarming since I was trying to drive past oncoming traffic. Maybe it's just my driving style doesn't mesh well with Mercedes (so far).

I haven't noticed any of the other items in your list. For #6, I originally wanted the Beige interior but when I saw it in person it looked way more like "white" than "beige". I have kids and dogs and just generally am skeptical I will personally maintain the material well enough to keep it looking clean. So I went with the black. I remember there was an add-on about interior warranty. I didn't buy it but you may want to see if it's worth it for you given your concerns. I'd at least tell them about the spot and see what they can do about it since it's their fault.

I'm not sure about adding features. Will be curious what you learn.
Old 06-03-2019, 12:05 AM

A220
Well, I think Mercedes heard me and overnight sent out a fairy to fix some of my issues.

1. Sunshade is now getting semi-caught. Eg. Sometimes I open it up and close it... it's perfect and other times it's a bit caught, but not as bad as it was. I'm still going to take it in though
2. This just seemed to go away. I wonder if it has something to do with temperature/moisture or what.
4. Easier today after I spent some time figuring out all the volume issues I've been having.
5. Still an issue, I don't like the fact that if I have my volume low on my phone, it's the same when connected to Bluetooth.
6. The Mercedes Fairy seemed to of got the stain out without me even touching it, don't know what happened there. Maybe all the chemicals I used finally sunk in and got rid of it, lol.

New discovery. The soft-touch plastic on the door panel likes to really pop when moving and squeak if I just touch it. It's like the finish on this vehicle isn't up to solid standards, somewhat loose. I'm hoping as the vehicle breaks in, it'll be fine but right now even during normal driving, I occasionally hear some "pops" throughout the car which signals some poor fitment. Hopefully, I didn't get a dud...
Old 06-03-2019, 12:16 PM

A220
Regarding #3, I watched this video and it seems to explain the behavior I've noticed. It talks about how cars with dual clutches may try to predict certain behavior (like if I'm trying to come to stop or accelerate), and so depending upon driving behavior, people may see the car jerk forward or even hesitate to accelerate if the car's prediction doesn't match the driver's intent.

Old 06-03-2019, 09:07 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Buying One
Had it for about a week, only issue so far was it not recognizing the key fob and I was unable to start car (followed manual instructions and got it to work, battery on key fob is good).

Overall been very pleased with the quality of the build, everything is whisper quiet, operates very smoothly (quietest window operation I've ever heard) and zero rattles. I got a Jupiter Red which is unusual (maybe the assemblers are less bored on that one?), it was my last color choice but after 4 months waiting for a custom order and not seeing anything on the lots I settled. Oddly enough I now really like the color.
Old 06-05-2019, 09:27 PM

A220
My car is still in the shop (since Sunday). They hope to have it ready by end of tomorrow (Thursday). The windshield wiper bumping against the frame... they ordered a replacement but the wrong part came in so they had to re-order it.

For the passenger airbag malfunction... they think it was a faulty connection in the seat belt buckle. They "exercised the pins" and the fault went away. I have the feeling this means they just fiddled with it.

Remaining optimistic but I'm not super impressed with this service so far; 5 days (so far) to resolve these issues seems like a long time.
Old 06-06-2019, 02:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A220 when it gets here
Upgrades will be available from Mercedes Me... They haven’t said what upgrades will be available except for Navigation. Haven’t read an update on this feature in a few months though.
Old 06-08-2019, 11:38 PM

A220
So, I'm dropping the vehicle off next Friday and letting them have it for about 2 weeks while I'm on vacation. They're going to look at the door panel, sunshade, and the windows screech.
I also am going to see what aftermarket options they can do that wasn't already added to the vehicle, anything they can do software wise.

Modification wise, I asked for a quote for the AMG bumper/Diamond grill and illuminated star. Right now, with untinted windows, beige seats, and no 'aggressive' styling - I'm driving a car fitted for the older generation (don't mean that in a bad way lol)
Old 06-09-2019, 12:34 AM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
2022 C300 4Matic
Yea, it's rather bland looking without the AMG option.
Old 06-09-2019, 12:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A220 when it gets here
I will be curious as to what they quote for the exterior modifications. Just an FYI, you can get the led star cheap from Amazon.... it’s just like the Mercedes one... except they don’t charge hundreds of dollars for it.
Old 06-10-2019, 09:45 AM

Buying One
Lol John. As a newbie (but old person) Mercedes owner I can see I will be on here for tips a great deal.

Time will tell but maybe Deriggs got a car with a few QC issues, mine has been perfect pretty much, only "complaint" is that MBUX sometimes takes about 60 seconds to wake up, you can't rush beauty sleep apparently.
Old 06-12-2019, 10:37 PM

A220
I didn't drop it off that day, may drop it off Friday and let them keep it for 2 weeks while I go on a trip.

However, most of the QC problems seemed to of fixed themselves except a few. The door panels are still very squeaky and occasionally the windows screech on the way down. and slightly up. Just touch the door panel by where your arm would normally sit if you're holding the steering wheel. Does it not squeak for you guys with the slightest of touches?

For the modification pieces, you guys are accurate. They will do it, but the price is expensive. I will probably do the diamond grill as well as the illuminated star myself. The bumper is actually pretty easy to take off. I got under the car yesterday to take a look and it's done by the following:

1. Remove about 4-5 rivets in each wheelhouse from the liner using a rivet puller. You do not need to completely remove the liner, but I did just to take a better look at what I was dealing with and to make sure I didn't break anything.
2. Once you remove the liner or pull it back, there are a couple of electrical items plugged into the bumper such as the lights plugged in that need to be unplugged. You can do that using a small flat head screwdriver to pry the connection clip off.
3. There are about maybe 10-12 bolts that connect the bumper to the frame. Half of them are around the wheelhouse liner, the other half are on top, under the hood
4. Pull the bumper off - It's best to do this with 2 people because you need even pulling pressure across the bumper for it to 'unsnap' but you can do it if you're large enough to grab both sides of the bumper.

Installing is done about the same exact way. It would take someone not very gearheaded like me about 25-30min to do it. It's really not hard at all.
Old 06-12-2019, 10:48 PM

A220
I haven't noticed any squeaking so far (door panels or windows or anything else).
Old 06-13-2019, 12:53 PM

Buying One
I have one potential QC issue that has manifested itself, the right door or glove department making noise (glove is tight, no rubbish in there), hard to tell.

Pressure on the glove seemed to alleviate (simpler resolution there) but it's hard to do that and drive at the same time so I'll wait for a guinea pig passenger.
Old 06-13-2019, 01:25 PM

2022 C300 4Matic
Originally Posted by Kenyon1976
I have one potential QC issue that has manifested itself, the right door or glove department making noise (glove is tight, no rubbish in there), hard to tell.

Pressure on the glove seemed to alleviate (simpler resolution there) but it's hard to do that and drive at the same time so I'll wait for a guinea pig passenger.
Speaking of glove compartments, did you find the hidden compartment in the glove compartment? Open the door and push the white lever on the top near the front. It drops down. Don't really know what it is for?
Old 06-13-2019, 02:05 PM

A220
Originally Posted by Givmeabrek
Speaking of glove compartments, did you find the hidden compartment in the glove compartment? Open the door and push the white lever on the top near the front. It drops down. Don't really know what it is for?
That area is for the manuals and stuff. It fits perfectly in that small box.
Old 06-14-2019, 12:45 PM

Buying One
Hey Deriggs,

I switched from Auto to Park, when I got out of car a portion of the left tail light stayed lit, went back 5 minutes later, still on. I guess that's some kind of weird feature for locating it? Haven't checked manual obviously.
Old 06-14-2019, 01:57 PM

A220
Originally Posted by Kenyon1976
Hey Deriggs,

I switched from Auto to Park, when I got out of car a portion of the left tail light stayed lit, went back 5 minutes later, still on. I guess that's some kind of weird feature for locating it? Haven't checked manual obviously.
What did you set from auto to park? Not sure what you mean
Old 06-14-2019, 02:14 PM

2022 C300 4Matic
Originally Posted by Deriggs007
Yea, strange. The lower left tail light is the rear fog light...
Old 06-14-2019, 09:40 PM

A220
I think that's the feature where you can set the parking light on the right or left to light up when you return to the car....? I vaguely remember seeing it mentioned online as a possible safety feature.
Old 06-15-2019, 05:54 PM

Buying One

That is the switch, moved it all the way to the left.
Originally Posted by Deriggs007
Old 06-15-2019, 09:52 PM

2022 C300 4Matic
It's a strange warning light. More commonly used in Europe. https://www.autotrader.com/car-news/...the-car-269684
Old 06-17-2019, 02:42 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C 250 (W205)
So I have been with my A250 for nearly a month now, here's my feedback:

1- No issued with my sunshade.
2- I agree with you, windows are noisier at least than those of the C-class and slower too, doesn't bother me much though as I rarely open the windows (Extremely hot where I live).
3- My transmission in general seems clumsy inside the city. I've had a jerky transmission in my 2018 C class which sort of fixed itself after around 5,000 Kms (Car is learning ?).
4- Same here, how did you fix that ? Moreover, the assistant's volume is too high, how could it be adjusted ?
5- This is very true, unless you raise the volume from the phone, you won't be hearing anything ! I thought this was a fault in the car and I was about to take it to the dealership.
6- One more issue is the piano black interior is extremely easily scratched ! less than 1 month now and I have numerous scratches and I am a very careful person and no kids.
Old 06-17-2019, 08:03 AM

Buying One
Originally Posted by AmrDXB
So I have been with my A250 for nearly a month now, here's my feedback:

1- No issued with my sunshade.
2- I agree with you, windows are noisier at least than those of the C-class and slower too, doesn't bother me much though as I rarely open the windows (Extremely hot where I live).
3- My transmission in general seems clumsy inside the city. I've had a jerky transmission in my 2018 C class which sort of fixed itself after around 5,000 Kms (Car is learning ?).
4- Same here, how did you fix that ? Moreover, the assistant's volume is too high, how could it be adjusted ?
5- This is very true, unless you raise the volume from the phone, you won't be hearing anything ! I thought this was a fault in the car and I was about to take it to the dealership.
6- One more issue is the piano black interior is extremely easily scratched ! less than 1 month now and I have numerous scratches and I am a very careful person and no kids.
Great comments:

1. Same
2. Mine are whisper quiet and fairly quick, haven't timed them though.
3. It is learning, I noticed that if I drove in sport mode the behavior changed. I drive in comfort 99.9% of the time because it's great for gas mileage, it's very, very smooth now.
4. No real comment, hasn't been an issue.
5. Same as #4.
6. Same, solo driver. This in my opinion was one of the few aesthetic design flaws in the vehicle, the effect is too pronounced (like fake wood grain) and doesn't match the more aircraft like interior components which are in vogue today (carbon fiber, machined aluminum, etc.) and is highly susceptible to wear. So how to fix? Probably a treatment/sealer of some kind. For now I'm using Renaissance Wax which is the only product approved by the British Museum for restoration/preservation of historical artifacts. It is obviously neutral, so no chemical interactions with any surface it is applied to.
Old 06-17-2019, 08:31 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C 250 (W205)
I have some other things in mind I wanted to share:

When you change the driving mode from comfort to any other (sports/individual) it used to stay at the same mode if you leave the car and return within 4 hours. It seems they have scrapped this in the A class and it resets to comfort as soon as you turn the engine off. Any thoughts ?

The illuminated logo appearing on the ground from the doors. Sometimes it is solid and sometimes flashing. What's the explanation ?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Couple of misc questions