W212 AMG Discuss the W212 AMG's such as the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying Carbon Ceramic Brake Retrofit

Old 06-17-2019, 09:58 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
E63 AMG S
Buying Carbon Ceramic Brake Retrofit

Hi guys, does anyone know where I could source a set of CCB for a W212 facelift E63S? I'm tired of all the dust of the steel rotors. Every time I go on a drive after washing my car, the wheels are already completely dirty. I always have my car washed when the whole car is clean. Just the wheel is dirty.

I've used to see these sets for $10K or less, but the cheapest one I see on eBay right now is $14.25K. Is there any place that is selling them for cheaper? Or any other member on here looking to sell or switch to steels? I would be willing to trade plus cash.
Old 06-17-2019, 11:23 PM

Received 98 Likes on 70 Posts
2014 E63 AMG wagon
Originally Posted by speedydriver
Hi guys, does anyone know where I could source a set of CCB for a W212 facelift E63S? I'm tired of all the dust of the steel rotors. Every time I go on a drive after washing my car, the wheels are already completely dirty. I always have my car washed when the whole car is clean. Just the wheel is dirty.

I've used to see these sets for $10K or less, but the cheapest one I see on eBay right now is $14.25K. Is there any place that is selling them for cheaper? Or any other member on here looking to sell or switch to steels? I would be willing to trade plus cash.
10-14k sounds abouts right. Best of luck!
Old 06-18-2019, 08:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,000 Likes on 807 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
Why not just switch your pads to a low or no dust pad.
Old 06-18-2019, 10:17 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2014 E63 S-AMG Wagon
I use ceramic pads and barely get any dust on my wheels (Plus, the ceramic dust is a lighter color and is less noticeable). Going carbon rotors is a bit extreme... and since the dust is from the pads,.. not the rotors... the difference would be minimal.
Old 06-18-2019, 12:48 PM

Received 98 Likes on 70 Posts
2014 E63 AMG wagon
Originally Posted by Billmiranda
I use ceramic pads and barely get any dust on my wheels (Plus, the ceramic dust is a lighter color and is less noticeable). Going carbon rotors is a bit extreme... and since the dust is from the pads,.. not the rotors... the difference would be minimal.
Carbon Ceramic brakes generate very very little dust that "sticks" There is a huge difference between Carbons and Irons dust wise regardless of pad selection.
Old 06-19-2019, 12:20 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
E63 AMG S
I'm no expert, but using a ceramic brake pad makes the rotors wear faster correct since it is a harder compound?

Also, I barely got 20K miles on my rotors and pads, no track days and stock car. Honestly, at the price point it doesn't seem to cost that much more in terms of replacing or not. I drive my car hard and I think the ceramics also look really nice. If I can get a set for a decent price, it seems fairly reasonable to do the switch.
Old 06-19-2019, 08:50 AM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
2003 CL55
Nice upgrade! You will be ready for some track laps soon.

E63 Biturbo, UPD Cold Air induction kit, UPD performance crank pulley and UPD adjustable rear suspension with ride height adjustment.

CL55 UPD Cold Air Boost kit, UPD 3000 stall converter, UPD 77mm SC clutched pulley and beltwrap kit, Custom long tubes, UPD crank pulley , UPD suspension kit, UPD SC pulley, Aux. HE, Trunk tank w/rule 2000 pump, Mezeire pump, UPD 5pc idler set, Aluminum rotor hats.

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd
Old 06-19-2019, 08:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Not from my experience. The ceramic pads wear slower as do the rotors. They don't bite as hard as the semi metallic pads and, of course, don't wear nearly as fast. It took some getting used to for me. Others may have different experiences.

If you are willing to pay $14k for the carbon brake rotors, you could get a lifetime of pad and rotor changes with the steel brakes and come out way ahead. The upgrade makes no sense unless you are going to track your car. With that said, I've read the carbon rotors on the E are not very durable and you are better off with steel rotors. On the E, I feel the carbon rotors are like jewelry and meant for show.
Old 06-21-2019, 06:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 113 Likes on 93 Posts
The best or nothing
CCBs =
Lifetime rotors YES
Lifetime pads NO (unless you skip on preventative car maintenance and are willing to risk rotors damage)
Old 06-21-2019, 06:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 113 Likes on 93 Posts
The best or nothing
Originally Posted by BlownV8
If you are willing to pay $14k for the carbon brake rotors, you could get a lifetime of pad and rotor changes with the steel brakes and come out way ahead. The upgrade makes no sense unless you are going to track your car. With that said, I've read the carbon rotors on the E are not very durable and you are better off with steel rotors. On the E, I feel the carbon rotors are like jewelry and meant for show.
Typical argument of someone who has no idea
Old 06-21-2019, 07:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Jan AMG
CCBs =
Lifetime rotors YES
Lifetime pads NO (unless you skip on preventative car maintenance and are willing to risk rotors damage)
No, not the case. Replacement is recommended around 100k to 140k miles but they often fail before then. If you track the car, odds are the life will be shorter. Then again, I guess it depends on your definition of lifetime. It's also very common for people to downgrade to steel brakes from CCB especially for Porsche owners.
https://mbworld.org/forums/w212-amg/...ml#post6749051
https://mbworld.org/forums/w212-amg/...18k-miles.html
https://www.autotrader.com/car-news/...-plague-267318

Do a little more research so you have a clue. Lot's of issues out there with the carbon ceramic brakes.
Old 07-28-2019, 08:43 AM

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts
2013 AMG E63
Originally Posted by Jan AMG
CCBs =
Lifetime rotors YES
WRONG... No such thing as "lifetime" brake rotors, carbon ceramic or iron. Wear on rotors and pads is dependent on how 'hard' and how 'often' the brakes are applied.
Old 07-28-2019, 09:24 AM

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts
2013 AMG E63
Originally Posted by speedydriver

speedydriver, save your money. The best option would be to purchase Brembo two-piece floating rotors for the front and Brembo one-piece rotors for the rear. The key to solving your problem is the brake pad selection. The best pads made today are produced by CarboTech in North Carolina. They manufacturer a revolutionary Carbon/Kevlar pad that generates more stopping power/clamping torque than OE pads and they eliminate that annoying brake dust. The CarboTech "1521 Street" carbon/kevlar pads will also provide superior wear characteristics in combination with the Brembo high carbon iron rotors. I run this combination on my E63 and my Z06 so I can attest to their performance. I purchased the rotors and pads for less than $1,500.

The following users liked this post:
Cylinder Head (07-30-2019)