Need exhaust advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-21-2019, 03:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W204 C63 AMG
Need exhaust advice

Hi,

I was hoping to get some input on what my best options would be right now in regards to my exhaust set up.

My current set up is a set of custom locally made LTH, no high flow cats (which are great) then secondary cat delete (straight pipe), resonator and mufflers are still in place.

a couple of weeks ago, my resonator started to rattle very loudly due to I’m guessing the inside has blown out. The rattling is quite loud and annoying so something needs to be done about that.

My question is what would you guys recommend my best move is going from here?

1) fix resonator
2) straight pipe resonator
3) Scrap the straight pipe 2nd cat and add a H/X pipe?

Or any other opinions welcome!

The car is pretty loud and at this point I really doubt it could get any louder, which is fine with me, there isn’t much drone but I just really want to get rid of the annoying rattle!

Thanks
Old 06-21-2019, 07:38 AM

Received 107 Likes on 60 Posts
2016 GTs, 2014 C63 AMG and 2014 C350 Sport (wife's car, she thinks it's an AMG - shhhhhh)
I think I'd replace the resonator if I were you... unless you want to sound like a Mustang GT running American Thunders, if that's your thing...
The following users liked this post:
samdubai (06-21-2019)
Old 06-21-2019, 02:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 431 Likes on 354 Posts
2012 C63;1971 280SE 3.5(Sold);2023 EQS 450 SUV 4 Matic (Wife's)
It is possible that your exhaust is hitting the chassis stabilzer bar in front of the resonator. It is not unusual for this to happen after headers are installed. It may only take a small adjustment to raise the exhaust so it does not rattle on the bar. If this is not possible then the bar can be removed or lowered with spacers installed. I agree with Bonesxxx about removing the resonator. Probably not the best idea, but up to you.
The following users liked this post:
Bonesxxx (06-21-2019)
Old 06-21-2019, 02:22 PM

2016 GTs, 2014 C63 AMG and 2014 C350 Sport (wife's car, she thinks it's an AMG - shhhhhh)
Originally Posted by Mort
It is possible that your exhaust is hitting the chassis stabilzer bar in front of the resonator. It is not unusual for this to happen after headers are installed. It may only take a small adjustment to raise the exhaust so it does not rattle on the bar. If this is not possible then the bar can be removed or lowered with spacers installed. I agree with Bonesxxx about removing the resonator. Probably not the best idea, but up to you.
Would be easy enough to test Mort's hypothesis. Wedge a wad of something non-flammable between the bar and the rez and see if the problem goes away. I'd use a wad of duct tape but that's because I am a hillbilly and that's just what we do.
Old 06-24-2019, 12:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W204 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Mort

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, after I installed the headers, the stabiliser was touching the headers, it was unbearably loud inside the cabin, haha. I thought there was a hole in one of the pipes. Until I put it back on the lift and found that it was touching. I’ve since removed the stabiliser and haven’t bothered to put it back on as of yet. But yeah, that got resolved. This is a different issue, with the car up on a lift, when I bang the resonator with my hand it rattles loudly. My local garage told me that he assumes that the coal/ padding etc inside the resonator has broken up which now means it is shaking around the resonator.

I’m not sure how easy it would be to find a used resonator here in the UAE especially in working condition which makes that option a bit harder. Hence why I was hoping for an alternative. I know a lot of people go straight pipe all the way to mufflers. Obviously could break it up with an X/Y pipe but I don’t know
Old 06-24-2019, 12:28 PM

I've heard mixed reviews on the crossover pipes but most have been people regretting it.

The interwebs are your friend. I have to think ebay or just pop for a new one. Shipping may cost you but better to have one IMHO.

If you don't have the time/patience/money, then straight pipe it and carry on.
Old 06-24-2019, 12:28 PM

*dupe*
Old 06-24-2019, 01:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 431 Likes on 354 Posts
2012 C63;1971 280SE 3.5(Sold);2023 EQS 450 SUV 4 Matic (Wife's)
If the resonator is worn out you have a bit of a problem. If the resonator can be repaired for a reasonable cost you might want to try that. The resonator comes attached to the passenger side muffler and would be an expensive piece to replace. If this is the case and it is too expensive or does not appeal to you to replace the resonator I would try option 2.) and straight pipe it. I hear that option will be quite loud but if you and the people around you don't mind it then it may be good. I also hear that the straight piped resonator may drone a bit or start to sound loud in the car when cruising. Another option might be to install a couple of high quality aftermarket resonators in place of the stock resonator. With either the straight pipe or aftermarket resonator options you will lose the small H-Pipe in the resonator. You may be fine with this but I think it may make the exhaust note a little bit raspier. GL and let us know how it goes.